• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

I have one and so far had no problems with it.

BUT, I didn't test many games with it yet. Only have some Zelda saves, DBZ and Sonic Adventure DX. It's an official card so I though it would be fine, never heard about those problems. Are those you're talking about third parties?

Nah, the guys over on Reddit said it was specifically to do with the official 1019 cards.

Googling around I have only found one blog post from a guy who had his card wiped, and suspected it was to do with his Wii being on 24/7 and heat corrupting the data on the card.

Lynd7

One other question, are there *actually* issues with the Memory Card 1019?
Over on Reddit they tried to convince me that the 1019 had 'widely known' problems that I'd never heard about (aside from some older games not expecting such a large card), but I'd like GAF's knowledge. I trust you guys over Reddit >_>

I just did some research on this too. It seems as though there are quite a few reports of this card being less reliable. Some people have said its more likely to happen on the Wii hardware for some reason.

I won't need much more space so another 251 should do me.

sphinx

the piano man
I just did some research on this too. It seems as though there are quite a few reports of this card being less reliable. Some people have said its more likely to happen on the Wii hardware for some reason.

this is accurate, the Wii corrupted and erased the info of my 1019 MC card, thank goodness I had a back up card. either use a smaller size or a madcatz 3rd party card.

My 1019 corrupted and destroyed all my data (and became permanently unusable), and it was never even IN a Wii... yeah, it's been 251s only for me ever since.

catabarez

I bought a nice Gameshark mem card that was only about 10 bucks. 1019 blocks and has a USB port so I can move my saves over to my computer for some Dolphin goodness.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So im going to buy Sphinx and the cursed mummy, is the gamecube-version the way to go, or is it a half-assed port like so much else on nintendo-systems?

MKUltra

This actually reminds me, what's the best picture quality I can get on a PAL Wii or GC on a HDTV with no component input?

Morfeo

Wind Waker and Sunshine were HUGE disappointments after OoT/MM and SM64.

They are both the weakest in their respective series imo (3D-Zelda and 3D-Mario), but still among the best games of their generation. Which really just says alot about Nintendos core franchises really.

sphinx

the piano man
So im going to buy Sphinx and the cursed mummy, is the gamecube-version the way to go, or is it a half-assed port like so much else on nintendo-systems?

it's the same across all three platforms, I played the gamecube vesion and it's o.k, you can buy it.

All versions contain a game breaking bug, read about it when you get the game so you can avoid it.

Lynd7

Is scart only mildly better than component? Also, heres my collection list and pics!

Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Heroes
Zelda Wind Waker with bonus Mast Quest disk
Zelda Twilight Princess
Zelda Four Swords Adventure
Zelda Collectors Set
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
Donkey Konga
SSBM
Tales of Symphonia
Mario Kart Double Dash
Starfox Adventures
Mario Smash Football
Resident Evil 4 with bonus disk
James Bond: From Russia With Love
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Animal Crossing
Geist
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Luigi's Mansion
Eternal Darkness
Sega Soccer Slam
Star Wars Rogue Leader II
Star War Rebel Strike Demo Disk (Includes Star Wars Arcade game)
Lego Star Wars Original
Lego Star Wars Prequel
Timesplitters 2
Timesplitters 3 Future Perfect
Beyond Good and Evil
SSX 3
SSX On-Tour
James Bond: Nightfire
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Doshin the Giant

GameBoy Player
RE4 Chainsaw Controller
Metroid Faceplate

Cube1_zpse237dac4.jpg

Cube2_zpsf552098a.jpg

Cube3_zps521d404d.jpg

absolutely this! i also loved the 8-bit looking font for the menu.
it's funny, but every now and then when my PS3 or 360 is forcing a lengthy update, i'll boot up my GC and just love the pick-up-and-play nature of it, like it was the last machine that didn't do shit but play video games.

Technically the last system to not do shit but play video games is the Wii Mini.

entremet

I was going to mention Luigi's Mansion... my first experience with the Gamecube was actually a rental. I wasn't allowed to buy it at launch because... I was 9. So I was going to have to wait until Christmas to own the thing. Fuck that. I rented it from Blockbuster with Luigi's Mansion, and finished the game in about a week. So I never ended up purchasing it :lol

I think I will now just for shits and giggles. I'd also like to compare it to the 3DS game, 12 years later.

That's a real orange GB Player imported from Japan ;)

Great list btw, I had a lot of those on my mind. I also always wanted to check out Wario World, the rest of the Capcom Five, and from the import side of things, Battle Stadium D.O.N and Donkey Konga 3 (gotta put these Bongos to use!).

What a great console.

Ah okay.

It's a fun game to replay during Halloween. The graphics are still amazing too. The clay inspired art designed really ages well.

Man, I miss cutting edge Nintendo.

Linkhero1

Funny thing is I never owned Luigi's Mansion either. I actually bought it a few months ago and finished it for the first time last month.

Wind Waker and Sunshine were HUGE disappointments after OoT/MM and SM64.

Ocarina of Time is boring - can't complete it after about three attempts and a 3DS version now. I don't have this problem with the charming Wind Waker.

Super Mario 64 has aged pretty poorly. Sunshine is better to me just by virtue of being newer. FLUDD and the setting were cool too.

This actually reminds me, what's the best picture quality I can get on a PAL Wii or GC on a HDTV with no component input?

think you might need the official nintendo rgb cable, i can remember purchasing a cheap third party when i bought mine, and the picture had a weird mesh pattern over it and didn't look like a proper rgb signal, the official rgb cable was far superior.

Sakujou

Banned
What do ya say?
Limited Edition Tales of Symphonia Gamecube! My little treasure... also iam really proud to have an orange gamecube in my collection. got it cheap for some 2000 yen in Japan.

unfortunately i dont have a picture where all of my gc games are posted on.

its shattered around 2-3 pics on my blog
juli.jpg

Joqu

Oh man I wish I had an orange gamecube. It would have to be perfect though, with a mod chip and component cables and the likes. Too bad I can't solder to save my life.

I have Viewtful Joe and Viewtful Joe 2 for PS2 but haven't played them... is there any significant difference between that and the GameCube versions?

67_519278660467_4601_n.jpg

All I can contribute is this, which is my GC collection circa 2008. I think I've added a few more import games after that (like the Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Mr Driller), Twilight Princess, the remaining RE games.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My 1019 corrupted and destroyed all my data (and became permanently unusable), and it was never even IN a Wii... yeah, it's been 251s only for me ever since.
There's nothing quite like having a big stack of 59 block cards.

Meohsix

My Baby.
American Limited Edition Platinum GameCube. (before platinum was a standard color)
Imported Japanese Platinum GameBoy Player.
and a Platinum Nameplate

And an oddity from my collection that i found at a garage sale last year

It's a LodgeNet GameCube controller.
it's sorta a PPV / game rental thing you would find hooked up to TV's in hotel rooms.
unfortunately at the end of the long long cord is a phone jack plug, so there's no way to use it with an actual GameCube. =/

televator

Strange.... I've had the same 1019 since I bought it at retail. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Is there a way to transfer Cube save files onto my PC? I'd like to keep my 100% Melee and VJ adult mode cleared save 'till death parts me from them.

Strange.... I've had the same 1019 since I bought it at retail. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Is there a way to transfer Cube save files onto my PC? I'd like to keep my 100% Melee and VJ adult mode cleared save 'till death parts me from them.
Some late released third party memory cards have USB ports. I bought one from play-asia years ago (I don't think it has drivers for anything above windows XP...I have some linux drivers somewhere though), the thing actually has a write speed that is faster than official cards (many third party cards are noticeably slower at writing).

Outside of that there is using a Wii and homebrew but I seem to remember it working better with third party cards, strangely enough.

Is scart only mildly better than component? Also, heres my collection list and pics!
You mean composite, right? Very common mistake:
Composite - Red, White Yellow . Video signal over one cable so compressed. Better than RF. Note: comes with a scart adaptor for plugging into a scart input. Weak link is still the composite cable.*
Component - Red Green Blue on separate cables. Uses digital out port. Not released in Europe and very expensive these days.

RGB scart is roughly on par with component once the 480p is taken out of the question** and miles better than composite. One of the best decisions I made regarding the system.

*-Many people make the mistake of calling the composite cable rgb or thinking it is rgb scart because they've plugged it into a scare socket.
**-PAL games removed 480p option to let is choose 480i instead (aka 60Hz, or why isn't this the default with crappy 50Hz as a backup if your TV can't support PAL60)...why the options menu couldn't have 3 options rather than yes/no...

Morfeo

What do ya say?
Limited Edition Tales of Symphonia Gamecube! My little treasure... also iam really proud to have an orange gamecube in my collection. got it cheap for some 2000 yen in Japan.

unfortunately i dont have a picture where all of my gc games are posted on.

its shattered around 2-3 pics on my blog
juli.jpg

My body was NOT ready for this. Awesome picture!

Wanted a SPICEH GCN, but when I went shopping for it could only find purple, silver, and black, so I settled for the last one. Didn't like the "candy purple"; woulda bought a 3DS Midnight Purple-GCN in a heartbeat.

It's a nice system, but the proprietary media, reduced inputs/outputs in later models, and the handle are meaninglessly bad mistakes that ate into an already bad situation it faced with the PS2 juggernaut and a good beachead the XBOX1 won for itself.

LoZ:WW
Prince of Persia:SOT
Metroid Prime 1
Soul Calibur 2 (spun the paint off this one)
Soul Calibur 2 jp
Viewtiful Joe 1
Tales of Symphonia
Beyond Good and Evil

I've been knocking off one unbeaten title every couple years; still have BG&E and Master Quest to go. I also need to get around to hunting Baten Kaitos Origins as well.

A very quick picture of my Gamecube console collection including something very special under the Panasonic Q. BTW the purple GC is actually a cardboard preorder box that was given out at GAME when you placed your console preorder. Has a tape inside and random leaflets. The two black GCs, bottom one is a second hand PAL one i modded long ago and the top one is a brand new US version i bought on ebay a year ago for about £40.

5XLxpri.jpg

Another great thread subscribed.

These threads are a great way to exchange information and discuss the games. The only downside is that usually they create a peak of interest in the user and the consequence is the rise of prices in auction sides.

A little background from me: I was always a Sega boy as a kid/teenager. I had a Master System, a Megadrive and later in adulthood a Dreamcast. After the end of the Sega hardware age, I moved to Microsoft consoles (where great Sega games ended too).

I never had a Nintendo console. But last year I bought a 3DS XL and a Nintendo WiiU. It triggered me to check some great exclusive franchises. I was bit by the Nintendo bug. Last month I bought a N64 (no games yet) and also a Gamecube from my brother (a great launch black unit) with some games. I already bought another game batch from ebay (still need to receive it, them I will have 14 games, when they come I will make some pictures).

I also ordered a Component Cable from Japan. The auction plus fees ended US$ 115 (plus I still need to pay the shipping, which I guess will be around US$ 10). It hurts, man. Bad. My wallet bleeds. But also will my eyes when that baby arrives. For maximum nostalgia I will conect it to my 29" progressive scan CRT TV.

Hummm.... one last newby doubt regarding the component connection on Gamecube. It uses the digital port, but that port does not transport the sound, right? So I need also the regular composite AV cable connected? Can I connect both component video and composite video from the cables to the same tv? I want to switch between the images to see the improvement, but I want to be sure that the Cube can output both video signals at the same time. Or does it disables the analog port when the component cable is attached to the digital port? I do not want to fry anything....

Toparaman

Banned
I post it in every thread where it's even remotely applicable, was only a matter of time till I dumped it here, too ^_^

Camera's not out of focus or anything dumb like that.

Gamecube looks great. Wii is a blurry piece of shit. The GC component cables are expensive, but it's clearly the route to go if you wanna actually enjoy the games.

Oh no.

I got the GC component cable off eBay for around $50 around 2006-2007. Once I got a Wii I let my sister have the GC for college, and gave her the cable too, even though she totally didn't give a damn about it. What was I going to do with just a cable?

Comes back from college. Wants to borrow Wii. So I get the Gamecube back.

She LOST it. She didn't even use the damn thing, and she LOST it.

My poor Gamecube waifu. : (

Anyway, all that drama aside, I love the Gamecube. The console itself is aesthetically gorgeous, albeit not very marketable. Same with the controller and the mini discs. The boot-up is wonderful. Coming from the N64, Luigi's Mansion and Melee looked and sounded like heaven. There was actual roundness, and real instruments. I thought games couldn't possibly look any better. Hell, they still look great, so I wasn't completely wrong.

I've sold most of my games since then, but I still have my Gamecube with the digital (component) port, and the Game Boy Player. Anyway, let me see if I can recall all the games I had:

Megaman Anniversary Collection
Viewtiful Joe (unique)
Killer 7 (bizarre)
RE 4 (landmark)
Wind Waker (the main reason I got the Cube)
Ocarina of Time/Master Quest (from WW preorder)
Luigi's Mansion (great atmosphere)
Super Mario Sunshine (frustrating, yet bright and vacation-y)
Rogue Leader (the last Gamecube game I purchased, around 2009)
Melee (who the hell didn't?)
Metroid Prime (no words)
Tales of Symphonia (Disappointing. Did they have to be chibi in-game?)

Suffice it to say I supplemented the regular game droughts with old-school PC games (my PC was too shitty for new ones).

Games I wish I had. One day...

Pikmin
REmake
Eternal Darkness
Paper Mario 2
Star Fox Adventures
Is Starfox Assault good?

And of course I played other games with friends. Super Monkey Ball was the shit.
Sorry for my rambling-ass post. Nostalgia orgasm.

Top Bottom