• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Jamix012

Is the Wii one better?

I mean sort of. I actually have both. The Wii version is on one disc so it requires no disc swapping, and if you're playing on a Wii U you can get 480p and RGB through HDMI which is more than you can do with the Gamecube. You also get more control options if playing on the Wii.

The Gamecube version is 480i and is a 2 disc game. The plus sides are that you get nicer box art and the Gamecube controller is the better option vs. playing on the Wii U with a Wii mote.

Generally I'd give the nod to the Wii version, but there's not a lot in it.

Rich!

Been playing around with Nintendont on my Wii U.

Being able to play Super Smash Bros Melee in widescreen on my Wii U with a Wii U Pro Controller feels like some kind of voodoo magic. It all looks amazing through HDMI too.

Peltz

Being able to play Super Smash Bros Melee in widescreen on my Wii U with a Wii U Pro Controller feels like some kind of voodoo magic. It all looks amazing through HDMI too.

!!!

What does it look like in widescreen?

P.S. I decided to pass on Billy Hatcher for now. Thanks for the responses.

Timu

I think my brother uses that, but I need to get in on that as well, seems like the best way to get the best quality for Gamecube games.

Sakujou

Banned
Think I got burned on a sealed game on eBay. Anyone have any good ways of spotting fake Y-resealed games? THis one is obvious because there is no Security hole in the bottom (I am in the US), but I was thinking about how I would go about NOT getting scammed in the future...
How about a pic to verify the stuff? Never heard about fake Nintendo discs or boxes? I know about handheld games getting copied but not stationary systems....

I'd do it for you :) By the way I found my spare GC nameplate and it's kinda scratched up too, boo!
Thanks Peagles, but I'm okay for now as it looks like someone in the good ol' USA is going to do it for me. He seems to do a really professional job, and it's gonna cost quite a bit I'm afraid (especially because I want a matte finish and not glossy), but I'm happy to pay for quality. In terms of the GC nameplate, he said he's gonna see if he can restore it for me and is going to sort out the yellowing on the controller port panel too. I'll let you know how I get on, as I may be in touch if this one falls through.

Hey...I didn't know you could use the Wii U pro controller for GC games on Wii U? Do you need to be playing on the Gamepad screen?

Celine

Don't remember if I've already posted my collection in here:

bLm7wIvl.jpg

Sl6HfDFl.jpg

HPTJAnBl.jpg

me0wish

What's Evolution Worlds?

If my memory serves me right, it had a great story, with very cute charming characters and an interesting plot.

My main issue with it that it had grinding and battles would take ages with the extremely massive dungeons.

Keep in mind that I played this game more than 12 years ago so little me's opinion might be not very good.

Jamix012

Has anyone played Evolution Worlds after playing the original 2 seperately? I kind of want to give the games a shot but not sure if I should go in with the DC originals or just go with the gamecube version.

Has anyone played Evolution Worlds after playing the original 2 seperately? I kind of want to give the games a shot but not sure if I should go in with the DC originals or just go with the gamecube version.

Evolution Worlds covers Evolution 1's story quickly -- it gets through it in only a few dungeons, so if you want to play the 'full' first game, you need to play it on Dreamcast. As for Evolution 2, the GC version does have the full second game. The main change I know of is that the Dreamcast version has Japanese voice acting with English subtitles (in the US release), while on Gamecube the game is dubbed into English in the Western release. Which is better is up to you. I only have the DC versions, myself, so I'm not certain offhand if there are other changes...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally rebought Eternal Darkness.

The dumb thing is that a lot of the games I want for the Gamecube -- Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, etc. -- I already had them at one point, but sold them. That's something an idiot would do!

Another thing that an idiot would do is to still not have bought another orange Gamecube, leaving me completely Gamecube-less at present.

TheMoon

The dumb thing is that a lot of the games I want for the Gamecube -- Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, etc. -- I already had them at one point, but sold them. That's something an idiot would do!

Welcome to me with my SNES collection. I still want to slap my younger self for that.

Another thing that an idiot would do is to still not have bought another orange Gamecube, leaving me completely Gamecube-less at present.
I tried replaying ED a couple of years ago. Combat detection and clanging swords all over the place is terrible, IMO. Story and atmosphere = awesome though.

GUYS. I have found someone that will do a professional-style custom yellow colour job on my Gamecube. He'll also have a go on buffing the lid disc, which is scratched up, and remove the yellowing from the controller face plate (and add a clear coat to it to prevent it from happening again).

Gonna send it out next week, WOOHOO.

Jamix012

I feel it. Probably not as bad but I sold my N64 collection as a kid for 30 pounds like a fucking lunatic. Included both Zeldas, Both Banjos, Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi's Story, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Lego Racers, 2 controllers and the expansion pak among a whole bunch of other things I've probably forgotten. 30 British pounds.

Sigh, at least it was a PAL 64 which is kind of useless to me now anyway.

leroidys

Do you guys have recommendations for fun GC exclusives that are still cheap? Recently picked up Paper Mario, FF Crystal Chronicles, and MM Network Transmission for example.

Jamix012

Do you guys have recommendations for fun GC exclusives that are still cheap? Recently picked up Paper Mario, FF Crystal Chronicles, and MM Network Transmission for example.

F Zero GX...though looking now it's risen in price from 2 months ago can still be had for under $20 and is an amazing game.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 are amazing games. Kamiya at his finest on 1 and 2 was a great sequel IMO.

Batallion Wars is fun as well and definitely worth it's cheap price.

Bomberman generation is a spiritual successor to Bomberman 64, but it's also risen a bit in price. It's up to you whether it's worth the $15ish it's going for today.

Star Wars: Rebel Strike Rogue Squadron 3 is an ok game but includes the previous game on the disc as a co-op only experience as well as having unlockable starwars arcade games. $20 is about right IMO.

Danny Dudekisser

Hm, is it actually? It's one of the few gamecube exclusive games I don't have simply because everything I've heard it's not great.

My understanding is that people actually like it now. It didn't resonate with critics at the time, because it's a very old-school sort of game.

Bar81

it's a very old-school sort of game.

Very much so. If you like shmups, you will likely love this game. It's been a favorite of mine since release. It's nice to see people now finally beginning to accept the game for what it is rather than complain that it isn't the game that they expected.

Mercutio

Very much so. If you like shmups, you will likely love this game. It's been a favorite of mine since release. It's nice to see people now finally beginning to accept the game for what it is rather than complain that it isn't the game that they expected.

Someone really needs to start a thread on stuff like this. Basically a catchall for the games that were released to lousy reviews because of the state of the industry or tastes at the time, but ended up being completely missed.

Someone really needs to start a thread on stuff like this. Basically a catchall for the games that were released to lousy reviews because of the state of the industry or tastes at the time, but ended up being completely missed.

Reviews are subjective, so there'd be sooo many games that qualify

Also the thread would turn into a God Hand love fest in no time.

Not that I would mind, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I also rebought Metroid Prime 2 yesterday. I foolishly sold my GC copies when the Trilogy came out, which is unfortunate because I overwhelmingly prefer the GC control scheme for the first 2 games... and I want those visual effects they took out of the Wii version. And Metroid Prime 2's GC difficulty was perfect.

TheMoon

Hm, is it actually? It's one of the few gamecube exclusive games I don't have simply because everything I've heard it's not great.

Check this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894770

Lots of impressions and links.

Reviews are subjective, so there'd be sooo many games that qualify

Also the thread would turn into a God Hand love fest in no time.

Not that I would mind, lol.

I wouldn't mind an "Ugly Duckling" collection rerelease of PN03 and God Hand bundled together.

Pizza

You inspired me to try this and hoooooolyyyyyy shit im never going back! Just bought a 64gb sd card to house all the gc games im now downloading out of sheer hype

Everyone witg a wiiu needs this.

Rich!

You inspired me to try this and hoooooolyyyyyy shit im never going back! Just bought a 64gb sd to to house all the gc games im now hdhdhfhfhfg out of sheer hype

Yeah, might want to reconsider that post.

sphinx

the piano man
I am playing Fire Emblem path pf Radiance right now.

even got the official nintendo guide for 14 bucks, I though was ok,

any general advice for someone who has never played a FE game? SRPGS I have played are valkyria profile, that's all...

so far the battle system seems pretty basic and that red haired knight is killing everyone with a single hit, is that going to change?

You inspired me to try this and hoooooolyyyyyy shit im never going back! Just bought a 64gb sd card to house all the gc games im now downloading out of sheer hype

is this post serious??? c'mon.

Danny Dudekisser

any general advice for someone who has never played a FE game? SRPGS I have played are valkyria profile, that's all...

so far the battle system seems pretty basic and that red haired knight is killing everyone with a single hit, is that going to change?

Don't rely too heavily on your strong dudes early on in the game. Spread the exp around.

Peagles

On a more serious note, how do I rip my GC games for use with Nintendont? I want to put it on my Wii (and maybe my Wii U when I get it back from my brother, if Nintendo allows account transfers sometime in the future). Can I do it with USB Loader GX like how I rip my Wii games? Can I then pull them off the HDD in Windows to transfer to my GC too? Cheers.

sphinx

the piano man
Don't rely too heavily on your strong dudes early on in the game. Spread the exp around.

yeah, I noticed that exp goes to waste if I get Titania to kill every enemy.

how is the learning/difficulty curve in this game? I have the feeling in some chapter it will get brutal all of a sudden...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Avoid using Titania. She will kill enemies easily for a while, but she'll grow extremely slowly. If she's hogging all the experience your other characters won't get any stronger so you will struggle. The best thing to do with her early on is to take away her weapons and use her to bait enemies for your other units to kill. Or give her a very weak weapon and have her weaken enemies for someone else to finish off.

The Laguz in PoR/RD suck, don't use them.

Don't promote your units until level 20, since promoted units (like Titania) gain experience more slowly. Ike is an exception, traditionally the main character automatically promotes at a certain point in the story and he does after chapter
(spoiler in case you don't want to know). So you should try to have him at level 20 at that point if possible.

Beating chapters more quickly and accomplishing certain unlisted objectives (like not letting NPCs die, for example) gets you more bonus experience. You can't use it in the first few chapters, but once you get the pre-battle menu you can use that to divvy out experience before a chapter. Bonus exp is pretty valuable since most Fire Emblem games don't really allow for any sort of effective grinding, you just have to go with what you have.

Regarding the difficulty, I don't remember it ever spiking. It's a pretty reasonable difficulty curve with just a few bumps.

And sometimes you need certain characters to recruit others. Many can be recruited just by talking to them with the main character (Ike in this case) but some have relationships with other characters. There are usually hints about this in the story dialogue or pre-battle discussions. Most (but not all) non-boss enemies with character portraits can be recruited, so keep that in mind.

prateeko

How about a pic to verify the stuff? Never heard about fake Nintendo discs or boxes? I know about handheld games getting copied but not stationary systems....

I'll post pics of my own in a couple days, but how about the pictures on this auction? Does this item look original or resealed (and which pictures specifically demonstrate that to you)

Danny Dudekisser

I'll post pics of my own in a couple days, but how about the pictures on this auction? Does this item look original or resealed (and which pictures specifically demonstrate that to you)

Yeah, the link is bad, but using the ID to find the item... yeah, this is legit.

Apart from the obvious Y-folds, this picture should give you a pretty decent idea:

Notice how the part where the plastic folds over eachother is kinda imperfect looking. Well, that's how it always looks on GC games. And the part where the plastic overlaps is a bit wider than is normal on sealed game cases for other platforms.

Top Bottom