• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling it will still be very close to the price of the cables. Especially when you consider having it installed for most people.

The price quoted in that thread is $50 if the guy can get them manufactured. Looks like it would require a lot of effort to add in though, not just a plug-and-play sort of thing.

But if this actually happens I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else buy up a number of boards and have some custom cables made for the digital port and use an external box for it. Of course that is going to bump up the price.

The price quoted in that thread is $50 if the guy can get them manufactured. Looks like it would require a lot of effort to add in though, not just a plug-and-play sort of thing.

Sounds like an HDMI/DVI version would be even cheaper, which is great. The biggest problem might be the unique port the gamecube digital out uses, but if I could get the board for < $50 I'd have no problems soldering in a more standard port.

I'll probably give this another year or so to have some iterations that work well with all the picture output formats the GameCube uses... or maybe just long enough to make sure Gameboy Player works normally since that's pretty much the only reason I have to use GameCube over Wii to play GCN games.

baphomet

But if this actually happens I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else buy up a number of boards and have some custom cables made for the digital port and use an external box for it. Of course that is going to bump up the price.

You wouldn't be able to use the digital out port for anything, unless you mean removing the current output signals and replacing them with the signals generated by the FPGA board. In that case that wouldn't make anything easier. Only more expensive.

The only real solution is to install the board internally, wire the signals to the existing multiout, and then wiring a custom cable for multuout to component.

So a $50 board, a $75-100 install, and a $29 cable.

Picked up 007 Nightfire for $10 from a pawn shop and I also saw they had the True Crime games and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, as well as some shovelware and other 007 games at the same price. I was interested in the True Crime games a while ago, have they aged well? I remember hearing one of them had a bug that deleted everything on your memory card. And would it be in my interest to pick up Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance at $10? That cable had me interested, but not at that price.

i guess i'd ask if you made it past the tutorial, is all

were GC prices nearly this bad before, though? i mostly picked stuff up at garage sales/etc where most titles were nearly throaway prices (not quite N64 cheap, but still cheap). now even common stuff is spiking, and god forbid you want something like FE Path of Radiance lately.

They have been high for some time online, though they have gotten worse recently and I'm sure this is just the beginning. What I've noticed though is you are less likely to find them at Garage Sales, Flea Markets, Pawn Shops, etc... now then you were even a year or two ago.

I've mentioned it before, but I have a local Pawn Shop that sells DVD Movies, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and GC games for $1 each. I typically go their once a week, if not more frequently and they always have a shelf of DVD Movies, PS2, and Xbox games. There are almost always at least a handful of PS2 and Xbox titles that weren't there the week before. I used to be able to get a few GC games as recently as around a year ago but now they rarely ever have anything GC. In the last 4-5 months the only GC game I've found there are Sports Titles. Prior to that I had found Mario Party, Zelda Collector Edition, Mario Kart, etc...

It seems like most of the GC games are now in the hands of Collectors or resellers. Sure, you can still find them in the wild sometimes but it's far less likely and even then the chances they are selling them cheap have dropped. I expect the trend to continue which will continue to increase the prices online.

Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance is a great game but its so pricy to find a copy these days. Most people on ebay charge $70+ just for one.

Also for some reason my two copies of Resident Evil Remake keep freezing.... Even though they literally have no scratches and almost all my other gamecube games work fine (Re 4 and Zero never froze on me once). Ugh my other gamecube really doesn't want me to play RE Remake or I just have bad luck. I might have to get the Wii version.

TheMoon

I did the dumbest thing.

I've been wanting to add Freedom Fighters to my GCN collection ever since I've seen the amazing Load Our Last Save episodes with Vinny playing it on Giant Bomb a few years ago. Now last week I finally went ahead and ordered a copy. Thing is, I didn't think it through and ordered the cheapest one I could find on Amazon Germany. I forgot for a fateful moment that this was the era of limited disc space and no standard of multilingual releases.

Turns out, I receive my copy today, unpack it, turn it over and see: language audio: German; text language: German; manual: German. Ugh, yuck. Now I am German so understanding it is not the problem but I absolutely DESPISE German dubs and I've started to dislike even just localized text. Most of it just sounds unnatural. I was so pissed at myself. Usually I double and triple check this stuff. Even made sure it had no progressive scan support since I got for NTSC copies usually if that is the case.

Speaking of which, can anyone with an NTSC copy confirm whether or not that supports 60Hz? Or is that supported by default since then I would probably import an NTSC copy now anyway.

The despicable German copy of Freedom Fighters will go up on eBay in the next few days... begone!

TheMoon

I'm currently trying to fix the mess that is Wikipedia's list of GameCube games supporting progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen. Just bought Splinter Cell Double Agent and the page says it supports both when it actually supports neither. There's no widescreen in any of the SC games on GCN and DA doesn't even support progressive scan unlike the previous games. Or am I nuts and they just disabled the prompt? Because when I press B during boot up to test it like normally, there's no progressive scan prompt ...but the image looks fairly crisp as if it detects it automagically? Is this a thing? Or am I maybe the only Gaffer with a GCN copy of this game? lol

dose

I did not play Chibi Robo for long, but what little I played of it I did not like, which is why I stopped playing it so soon. Doesn't seem very good at all.
Nah, it's a fantastic game. You start off being limited because of recharging, but has to be stuck with to fully appreciate.

TheMoon

NTSC means 60Hz.

I'm surprised your cheapest option was a German seller, every time I see an overpriced BIN on eBay I know it's from a German reseller lol
that's racist!

I had a feeling that I was asking a ridiculously dumb question :D

Random third party games tend to be the cheapest to get locally. The cheap deals on NTSC games are often not shipping worldwide or eBay decides to fuck it up with their international assfuckery policy (a.k.a. automatically applied customs fees that don't reflect actual fees by being way way overpriced). I usually check if a game has progressive scan support in the NTSC version and then decide if I should go with PAL (usually cheaper) or NTSC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ever since the disappointment of buying a Gamecube and getting the DOL-101 useless piece of shit, I haven't bothered buying another...

Shit stings, man.

llexan

Ever since the disappointment of buying a Gamecube and getting the DOL-101 useless piece of shit, I haven't bothered buying another...

Shit stings, man.

I feel your pain. I bought a black GC with the Gameboy Player attached, in great condition with the disc and manual too, yesterday at a garage sale for $20. Still think it was a killer find, but my excitement was dampened a little when I found out it was a DOL-101. Only thing that makes it sting worse is I actually had a DOL-001 when I was a kid. I traded it in back in high school when I got my Wii, thinking it was now redundant since the Wii was backwards compatible.

If only I knew.

If only I could go back in time and stop myself...

Still, at least I've finally been reunited with the Cube! I have been thinking about just getting a decent CRT off Craigslist to hook all my retro consoles into. Figured that was the next best solution (and at least won't break the bank). Anyone know of any models/features to be on the lookout for?

If you plan on hooking old systems into it, you can't beat a professional or broadcast monitor. They were often used in television production or the medical field.

cafemomo

with a working GC again, I guess I can show off my small "collection"

qmoWRX1.jpg

Slermy

I'm going to guess he had a GameStop that started putting price stickers on the paper sleeve itself, UNDERNEATH the plastic. Many around here do this.

It's pretty terrible.

I'm going to guess he had a GameStop that started putting price stickers on the paper sleeve itself, UNDERNEATH the plastic. Many around here do this.

It's pretty terrible.

What, all Gamestops don't do this? Gamestops rarely seem to put most of the stickers on the plastic...

cafemomo

It's pretty terrible.

The gamestops here don't do it anymore, but yeah, when I bought Alien Hominid moons ago, the stickers (3 OF THEM) are slapped on the sleeve itself.

Peagles

EB does it here too. It's so bad and they've ruined some nice preowned titles doing that, even though I consider myself something of an expert at removing them now lol. There's a couple of stores that put them on the outside of the plastic though, so it's not every store, but it's a large majority. Every time I get asked for feedback I ask them not to do it. They haven't listened yet though.

I'm it sure if it's the game or what, but whenever I try to play Jedi Outcast the screen is so dark I can't see without the using the binoculars on the first level. I've tried adjusting brightness and contrast but nothing helps. I can't remember if it was like this when I played years ago, I mainly just played the multiplayer with friends.

Peltz

EB does it here too. It's so bad and they've ruined some nice preowned titles doing that, even though I consider myself something of an expert at removing them now lol. There's a couple of stores that put them on the outside of the plastic though, so it's not every store, but it's a large majority. Every time I get asked for feedback I ask them not to do it. They haven't listened yet though.

At this point, they should pretty much apply the sticker to the underside of the discs, themselves. They're already responsible for discarding tons of old game boxes to save space, especially for old cart-based games. Why not just finish the job?

Peagles

At this point, they should pretty much apply the sticker to the underside of the discs, themselves. They're already responsible for discarding tons of old game boxes to save space, especially for old cart-based games. Why not just finish the job?

Stop, you're going to make me cry :'(

If you look at the sticker, it looks like the white paper underneath the sticker is left. That means you can very easily pop the case open and it falls out. 90% of the Gamestops I went to did it this way as not to ruin the case or artwork. Very good way of doing it and should be the standard, but sometimes you do run into the horror of it being stuck to the cover art.

prateeko

To remove stickers I've found the BEST is Un-Du. Seriously. I swear by that stuff. I've removed stickers from sealed games (back in the day) without issue.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Question: Why did Gamecube stuff get so expensive all of a sudden? I know some people were trying to drive up prices artificially for a while, but it's kinda gotten out of control since then. This is no longer a kiddie system. Kiddies can't afford this shit.

Jamix012

Question: Why did Gamecube stuff get so expensive all of a sudden? I know some people were trying to drive up prices artificially for a while, but it's kinda gotten out of control since then. This is no longer a kiddie system. Kiddies can't afford this shit.

It's a console with a lot of exclusives that didn't get re-released and were often smaller print runs than it's competitors. Gamecube is inevitably the next console to be hit by high prices. A lot of Japanese games that were release multiplatform often had Gamecube as the lead platform. I've pretty much got all the rare games I want, so personally, I'm pretty relieved it's happening right now and not while I was in a Gamecube buying frenzy. Controllers are also going to be useable with the Wii U.

Top Bottom