• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Someone might have to explain me
the female cameo was, she was the only one of the 4 I didn't know
. Either way, maaaaaan I can't believe they somehow made an even worse animated Titanic.

Also next week's editorial will be interesting,
Does PG mean anything anymore?

That's Cricket Leigh. She was the voice of Mai on Avatar: The Last Airbender. She hasn't done much else.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaaah, okay. Took me the credits/special thanks to realize who she was sitting next to since he looked familiar but couldn't but my finger on it (he was a guest on the top 10 avatar episodes).

Wonder if we'll still get Rocky & Bullwinkle this month. Maybe the week after the editorial?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In "YouTube is broken and bullshit" news, their "Making of The Smurfs Review" video got hit with a Content ID claim from Fullscreen for having Andre "Black Nerd" Meadows.
Not even one of his videos, but the man himself

That's the highest magnitude of bullshit possible.

At least the supposed copyright owner had made a response. So it really is Youtube's stupid automated content flagger that keeps doing this garbage.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On a somewhat different topic, does anyone else watch Tamera's Never Seen? I love these short videos. She watches a new movie every week that she's never seen and talks about her thoughts on it. But the twist is that it's all movies that literally everyone has seen. Or at least you'd think everyone has. She did all three Back to the Future movies, the Goldblum Fly movie, The Fifth Element.. This girl has literally never seen a single one of my favorite movies. Its great. I love it.

zeemumu

On a somewhat different topic, does anyone else watch Tamera's Never Seen? I love these short videos. She watches a new movie every week that she's never seen and talks about her thoughts on it. But the twist is that it's all movies that literally everyone has seen. Or at least you'd think everyone has. She did all three Back to the Future movies, the Goldblum Fly movie, The Fifth Element.. This girl has literally never seen a single one of my favorite movies. Its great. I love it.

I'm one of those people who enjoys seeing people's reactions to new stuff so I've seen pretty much all of them. Seeing The Fly must've been quite something after so many years of cgi effects.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well nothing new there. The Wizard of Oz 2D is rated for P while the same film in 3D is rated PG. Seriously, the hell is that about!?
Maybe regarding the health of kids? 3D can be problematic and when the kids have seizure in the movie and no one ist around it can be problematic

Cheerilee

Well nothing new there. The Wizard of Oz 2D is rated for P while the same film in 3D is rated PG. Seriously, the hell is that about!?

AFAIK, The Wizard of Oz has a "grandfather clause" hold on it's G rating. Once the MPAA gives you a rating, that's your rating and there are no take-backs (unless you want to re-apply). The MPAA said once that Wizard of Oz was G, so Wizard of Oz gets to be G forever, even if modern standards and public morals shift and change.

But the 3D conversion is a movie that has been "tampered with" and that means it needs to run through the classification process all over again, which means it has to be judged by modern standards, not the rating that they were given half a century ago by people who are probably dead.

Also, movies apply for a specific rating, which can be denied based on a rough set of disqualifiers. Saying the word "fuck" even once disqualifies you for G, three times disqualifies you for PG-13, and saying it 400 times disqualifies you for R, but that doesn't mean that you need to say "fuck" three times to get an R. The Wizard of Oz 3D could have applied for an R rating, and the only result would have been that the MPAA would have found no reason to refuse the movie's classification. If The Wizard of Oz 3D had applied for it's old G rating and been shot down (because standards have changed), then the movie might have been delayed, and they would have had to pay a new fee to apply again under the PG rating. I don't know if that happened to Wizard of Oz 3D, but sometimes it's just easier to apply for a PG rating if you think there's doubt that you'll get the G rating (which feeds into the change in what G means). It's doubtful that the Wizard of Oz 3D's producers saw any negative consequence from a PG rating.

People did see consequence from Deadpool's R rating (Deadpool could almost have been PG-13, but it's producers wanted just a little more wiggle room to make exactly the kind of movie they wanted to make so they asked for the freedom of an R rating, and the perceived audience loss from that rating prompted Fox to cut the movie's budget, but the producers thought it was worth it), but it did amazingly well at the box office so now people are reconsidering R ratings and that consequence has been greatly reduced.

I would say that with how standards have changed and evolved over the years, from Wizard of Oz clinging onto a G rating it apparently can't hang onto forever, to that movie NC mentioned that got struck down for having a gay kiss, to G movies becoming the bastion of un-objectionable kids movies, to the financial impact of R being reconsidered, this is all a kind of pointless debate. The MPAA isn't in exactly the right place, but they move around. Yeah it's funny that South Park can flirt with 399 f-bombs just to mock the line, but then where should the line be drawn? Or should there just not be a line? Does that line really bother people? It's just a guideline, so who cares? And I say this as a guy who opposes censorship.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I barely remember that movie being advertised/posters, or I just would see it at Blockbuster but never actually saw it, nor knew it was originally by Steven King.

....somehow, this seems to be the absolutely silliest of them all, because man, I had NO idea that's what the movie was about, I only knew the name.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn, so the people who subscribe to Vessel & saw next week's review already know what the review is after that, & so on the 25th, we're getting a review of
Freddy Vs. Jason
to close Nostalgia-ween.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'd like to see Doug (in or out of character) give some of his favorite Stephen King movies. I imagine Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me are there.

Oh damn, so the people who subscribe to Vessel & saw next week's review already know what the review is after that, & so on the 25th, we're getting a review of
Freddy Vs. Jason
to close Nostalgia-ween.

Such a cheesy movie, great material.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Didnt expected a such nice review regarding Freddy Vs. Jason. He didnt even spoke to much about the weird Freddy Snail.

Feel very bad that this was the final movie with Robert Englund, I miss him as Freddy Kruger :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can an Ending Ruin a Film

Edit: Next week's review is....well, obvious thanks to the ending of the editorial. It's
TMNT: Out of the Shadows with guest stars James Rolfe/AVGN & Andre Meadows/Black Nerd (the guy from the Smurfs review)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it just me, or is the site loading REALLY slow when trying to watch on 1080p? Don't think it's my internet since I tested it & it's 30mbps.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, that batman commercial. That easily wins the "wtf" award from this set of commercials.

Edit: Ugh, I remember that Starburst commerical, so awful. Also, maybe I was too early to give the WTF award to the batman commercial, that final one.....what the actual hell.

Cheerilee

omg, that batman commercial. That easily wins the "wtf" award from this set of commercials.

Edit: Ugh, I remember that Starburst commerical, so awful. Also, maybe I was too early to give the WTF award to the batman commercial, that final one.....what the actual hell.

That last one is disqualified for trying too hard. Batman wins.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Was that really Adam West and Burt Ward in that commercial? They sounded off. Wasn't really a good look at Robin, but I don't think it looked like Adam West either.

Cheerilee

Was that really Adam West and Burt Ward in that commercial? They sounded off. Wasn't really a good look at Robin, but I don't think it looked like Adam West either.

You've got a good ear/eye.

I was thinking that Adam West's career was kind of shit after Batman, so he wouldn't turn down a paycheck. His only prominent work since then has been making fun of himself. So I looked up the details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_West

"After his high-profile role, West, along with Burt Ward and Yvonne Craig (who played crime-fighting sidekicks Robin and Batgirl), was severely typecast."

"For a time, West made a living doing personal appearances as Batman. In 1974, when Ward and Craig reprised their Batman roles for a TV public-service announcement about equal pay for women, West was absent. Instead, Dick Gautier filled in as Batman."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gautier

"In 1974, when Burt Ward and Yvonne Craig reprised their Batman roles (as Robin and Batgirl respectively) for a TV public service announcement about equal pay for women, Adam West (who was trying to distance himself from the Batman role at the time) was absent. Instead, Gautier filled in for West as Batman."

It was worse than I thought. Adam West's career was so shit at the time that he wasn't even willing to put on the Batsuit for a PSA.

Top Bottom