• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

zeemumu

Doug Walker and crew usually do clip-less reviews for films that were still in theaters at the time. I.e. Jurassic World, Batman v Superman and Star Wars TFA were all reviewed when they were still in theaters. It's already been around a year since the film in question was released on DVD and Blu-Ray, so I can see that being a regular review. I actually checked out the Blockbuster Buster's review on that film and it was in fact worse than I expected.

I thought Mad Max was out of theaters at the time that they reviewed it? And there's Hocus Pocus as well.

I thought Mad Max was out of theaters at the time that they reviewed it? And there's Hocus Pocus as well.

I would guess because Mad Max Fury Road was released on home video physically on September 1, 2015, while the review was in production? Or could be also to avoid having his Youtube video taken down by Warner Bros. since the film was still new on DVD.

In the case of Hocus Pocus, Doug kind of already did a traditional review on it, but out-of-character during 2013's Disneycember. I would assume he saw no point in making a regular NC review, after having already reviewed it, so he probably went with doing a clipless re-review.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He hasn't done a clipless review in a while. Not since Ghostbusters 2016 in August.

zeemumu

I never understood while Ariel and Eric didn't tell Melody why the ocean was dangerous for her. It's not like the mermaid world was a secret that no one in the kingdom could know about. There were merpeople at her first birthday and at Ariel's wedding. How hard would it have been to say "you can't go swimming unsupervised because there's an evil sea witch out to get you. Also your grandpa is king of the sea."

Cheerilee

One complaint I had about this movie was that the 26-year-old Queen Ariel looked a little bit different from the 16-year-old Mermaid Ariel from the previous movie, which is entirely appropriate because it's been ten years and she's a mature woman now, whereas she was just a teenage girl in the first movie.

But then, as soon as she steps back into the sea and turns back into a mermaid, she looks exactly like her 16-year-old self (minus some animation quality). I thought she should have looked different. More MILF-like. I'm not exactly sure how to convey that, but that's the animators' job to figure out. Maybe leave her hair tied back? Give her a different top (maybe have her put on a normal human swimsuit before jumping into the water)? I dunno.

It's like, the movie felt that the audience just wanted an excuse to see Ariel in her shell bra and fins with the floaty underwater hair again, where I was interested in seeing an entirely new side of her. If people want more of teenage Ariel (and hey, I got no problem with that) there's the TV series (hey Disney, when will I ever be able to purchase that?) or the prequel movie (which would've had more impact if it was a return to teenage Ariel after an absence).

I suspect that Ariel was also mentally acting like a dumb 16-year-old in this movie where she should be acting like a grown-ass adult, but it's been a few years since I've seen this movie (and I probably lost most of my braincells when they built the wall), and the visual of seeing Ariel become her previous self unchanged was what stuck in my mind as really bad.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Chick already did a proper critique on this and she was right - essentially it was a rehash of the first film's plot.

I always found the Scamp and Angel romance pretty awkward since I had the impression the latter was already an adult due to the voice. I know full-well that Scamp was a puppy at that time. Although in real life, male of most younger mammals can still mate with older females. Still pretty awkward to see.

There is also that headscratcher on how Lady's owners came up with naming Angel, Angel. As if they can fully interpret what dogs are saying, and I don't mean by physical movement.

Update: Next Disneycember up.

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True

zeemumu

You think he'll do the Disney Channel Original Movies next Disneycember?

Zoom zoom zoom

Make my heart go boom boom

My supernova girl

Dang so the guys that animated this film, also animated Batman TAS and Animaniacs? And not to mention the composer for Gargoyles was involved?

Now that just makes it feel bitter to me, that they were dragged into this project. And as for the film itself, yeah it did look worse than I imagined.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dang so the guys that animated this film, also animated Batman TAS and Animaniacs? And not to mention the composer for Gargoyles was involved?

Now that just makes it feel bitter to me, that they were dragged into this project. And as for the film itself, yeah it did look worse than I imagined.

TMS also worked on Tiny Toons.

There's actually a pair of videos showing the various animation studios that worked on it.
Part 1
Part 2

Notice how TMS had the most consistent animation.

Boss Doggie

That bell doesn't make any sense. The clapper would scratch up the jeweled interior and the interior would screw up the sound. And a simple theft plot can't touch the dark themes an emotional stakes of the first.

basically it seems like they made one because Quazimodo didn't get a girl

Cheerilee

That TMS segment was very enlightening.

For anyone who wanted a more eviscerating review, Tim Brayton's review should be up your alley.

A lot of really good Disney Sequel reviews in there. Mostly harsh, but fair.

Looking over his Tinkerbell reviews, I would bump up the score on Great Fairy Rescue, which he called the worst Tink movie (I think he glossed over the best part of the movie, and was a little too upset by the worst part, although it's still a below-average Tink movie), and he called Pirate Fairy "up near the best of the franchise" but I'm very harsh on that movie, and consider it to easily be the worst of the franchise.

Nepenthe

I think I've outgrown Doug, because his opinion videos like Disneycember lack the knowledge foundation and solid opinions that make these kinds of videos worth watching. If he doesn't know what he's talking about regarding the concept of the films, then he's giving a mushy opinion if the movie isn't a straight classic or an outright trash heap wherein he repeats "I guess if you like x it's okay, buuut..." several times as a conclusion. The Lady and the Tramp 2 video was the proverbial straw both in its conclusions about the aesthetic rules and value of both films and a rather trite hand-wave of the effort Disney put into animating the dogs in the original, and he did this all within the first minute of the video. Basically, Nostalgia Chick sorta-kinda did this already, and did it much better.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think I've outgrown Doug, because his opinion videos like Disneycember lack the knowledge foundation and solid opinions that make these kinds of videos worth watching. If he doesn't know what he's talking about regarding the concept of the films, then he's giving a mushy opinion if the movie isn't a straight classic or an outright trash heap wherein he repeats "I guess if you like x it's okay, buuut..." several times as a conclusion. The Lady and the Tramp 2 video was the proverbial straw both in its conclusions about the aesthetic rules and value of both films and a rather trite hand-wave of the effort Disney put into animating the dogs in the original, and he did this all within the first minute of the video. Basically, Nostalgia Chick sorta-kinda did this already, and did it much better.

I can't think of any reviews done by both that Lindsay's wasn't 100x better.

I definately have noticed that these Disneycember videos mostly boil down to Doug just repeating the same thing over and over. It's much better when he teams up with Rob to talk about movies.

Boss Doggie

I can't think of any reviews done by both that Lindsay's wasn't 100x better.

You could still see differences in both though, like how Lindsay already establishes a bias against them so it's a bit hard to draw something else on the line. I mean, she rants about TLK3 on "ruining the movie" even though it's completely harmless and is generally tongue-in-cheek.

She does deliver the reviews arguably better though, so there's that.

Boss Doggie

Disneycember: Tarzan & Jane

I don't even remember this one. I do remember the other Tarzan sequel, which was a prequel, but not this one.

it's actually a collection of certain Tarzan TAS episodes

Just a correction on Critic tho, the TAS has been airing when that was released, and apparently is made up of unaired eps. So it's not really much of a "testing" as it is more like cashing in on the TAS.

Boss Doggie

Like I said it's one of the more harmless sequels and addresses the problems of the first film's ending.

Nepenthe

You could still see differences in both though, like how Lindsay already establishes a bias against them so it's a bit hard to draw something else on the line. I mean, she rants about TLK3 on "ruining the movie" even though it's completely harmless and is generally tongue-in-cheek.

She does deliver the reviews arguably better though, so there's that.

To be fair, it's not that Nostalgia Critic doesn't come in with any biases whatsoever. He's completely aware that the negative reception of these films, and in general has his own opinions of the originals that's going to color his impressions. He can try to be neutral, but realistically speaking that's impossible. It is interesting to nonetheless hear the perspective of someone who has gone through life understanding the baggage of the sequels without having personally indulged in them, but at the same time his conclusions leave much to be desired because, again, he can't be counted on to even understand the artistic value of the original films in the first place.

Subsequently, I feel there's also interest in hearing the opinions of someone versed in a field even if you know they're coming in with preconceived notions. The rational arguments underlying an opinion are just as much worth sharing. Now, I do disagree with Lindsay on the entertainment value on Lion King 1 1/2, but I can also say I see where her opinion comes from. Timon and Pumbaa literally do "fuck up a good movie" by basically being the behind-the-scene arbiters of the important bits that happen, through competence or otherwise which, if taken as canon, basically handwaves the decision-making and majesty on display in the original. I can understand why someone like Lindsay would hate the film on the merits of its concept. However, what I can't understand is why the fuck Doug would say some dumb shit like "Why would you animate dogs well?" Like, in what fucking universe is this even a non-condescending question?

Afrocious

This small discussion about Lindsey got me back into watching Nostalgia Chick. Yeah, I like how analytical she is. She's definitely more in-depth than Doug.

Who are some other good reviewers to watch/read?

Cheerilee

However, what I can't understand is why the fuck Doug would say some dumb shit like "Why would you animate dogs well?" Like, in what fucking universe is this even a non-condescending question?

That line got an eyebrow raise from me because I remembered reading an interview with an animator where he said that if you ask animators to choose between working on the main character or working on the animal sidekick, 99% of the time animators will ask to work on the animal sidekick, because it's more fun, but that he was "forced" to work on the boring human in whichever movie this was, because his portfolio showed that he was better at drawing humans than all the other animators who had similarly chosen to work on the animal sidekick. He was the "lead animator" because he drew the short straw.

But I'm not too fussed about Doug not knowing that sort of thing. I know there's a ton of stuff about animation that I don't understand, and I've seen Doug fall short often enough that I'm not holding him to a higher standard. He's occasionally insightful, and he reviews the kind of movies that I enjoy seeing reviewed.

Nepenthe

This small discussion about Lindsey got me back into watching Nostalgia Chick. Yeah, I like how analytical she is. She's definitely more in-depth than Doug.

Who are some other good reviewers to watch/read?

Brows Held High from oancitizen is pretty good. He gets deep into the nitty gritty of the theory and metaphor behind film.

LondonCityGirl has a few well-communicated summaries of some hard-to-decipher films like Primer on her channel (and cool science-y stuff to), but she has little content and doesn't update a whole lot so there's not a huge backlog to eat through.

If you care about anime, Super Eyepatch Wolf has some rationally-backed videos concerning the medium and things like characterization and the lives of certain authors and things.

#1 better be the Hershey's Kiss commercial...

Lololololololol you trusted Doug lolololololol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
#1 better be the Hershey's Kiss commercial...
Today, I learned the commercial first premiered in freakin' 1989, making it almost 30 years old.

Now that's some damn dedication. I think the only other commercials that I can remember actually seeing on TV is the
Campbells soup one with the snowman
& the
M&Ms one with Santa

As for #1,
wasn't that also made into a movie as well? Could've sworn he talked about it in one of his top 12 Xmas specials list

Top Bottom