• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

I thought it was pretty terrible too. The Batman and Batgirl relationship was unnecessary (even though it actually isn't new). Though I will at least say the scenes that recreate the comic were actually great to see. Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy were awesome performances.

But at the same time, you may as well just read the comic.

Return of Caped Crusaders was the better animated film btw. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I forgot the name of the previous manager (he play Ma-Ti) but would you guys consider him leaving the start of mismanagement?

I forgot the name of the previous manager (he play Ma-Ti) but would you guys consider him leaving the start of mismanagement?

I really doubt it, the combo of Doug wanting to evolve past the NC, too many of the other reviewers also wanting to become story/skit heavy, and top brass treating people like trash created a perfect storm.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really doubt it, the combo of Doug wanting to evolve past the NC, too many of the other reviewers also wanting to become story/skit heavy, and top brass treating people like trash created a perfect storm.

yeah but wasn't that mostly due to mismanagement, with the top brass being only Mike or some name?

Thought you guys might appreciate this

Mister Metokur is doing a video series on TGWTG and the downfall of it's various content creators.

Part 1 Doug Walker

Part 2 Noah Antwiler

Nothing especially new in either of these videos for long time followers, but the best summary with evidence of the falls from grace.
The Doug Walker video was amazing. I'd watch 20 more minutes going deep into the history of Channel Awesome

Mister Metokur is doing a video series on TGWTG and the downfall of it's various content creators.

Part 1 Doug Walker

Part 2 Noah Antwiler

Nothing especially new in either of these videos for long time followers, but the best summary with evidence of the falls from grace.

Hate to sully the mood, but this guy is InternetAristocrat, one of the, uh, major voices in the GG fiasco.

caliph95

I realize that, at the same time that doesn't make his analysis of tgwtg incorrect. Don't support his patreon or watch his other videos.
Seeing the suggested videos i feel like i have more reasons to ignore my recommendations and probably to scrub it.

The videos are good though.

-shadow-

Part 1 Doug Walker

Part 2 Noah Antwiler

I'll check these out when I get home. I remember that period where the channel started to completely fall apart and them seemingly scrambling to get new and (imo) some terrible new people onboard. I understand some leaving due to wanting to move on after so many years like Welshy (whatever happened) and JesuOtaku. But the mismanagement really didn't help them at all when so few wanted to do something else completely different. Man it's a shame it all went along the way it did, because it was an amazing community both in terms of reviewers as was the forum.

caliph95

Oh goddammit spoony
not sure about LordKat
So spoony had his own Demoreel except unlike Spoony, Doug quickly realised what he needed to and didn't crash and burn
I wish i could make money doing nothing and playing on my games all day

Metal B

Oh goddammit spoony
not sure about LordKat
So spoony had his own Demoreel except unlike Spoony, Doug quickly realised what he needed to and didn't crash and burn
Sponny leaving Channel Awesome had less to do with the Twitter meltdown and more with buissnes decisions. Spoony himself explained in a commentary to "ToBoldely Flee", that there was a lot of tension between many different people and groups at the shooting. So the Twitter fights were an aftermath.
Spoony actually leaving was because Doug wanted to hire him for his new format and studio after the end of the Nostalgia Critic (Demo Reel). But Noah not only didn't belived in the concept, he thought it would kill the channel. Since joing Doug would have also meant moving to Chicago, he didn't wanted to take the financial risk. So he left the channel completely.
Because nobody wanted to talk about his true reasons (which would have made Doug and the channel look bad), they simply didn't comment on it. At the end it looked like they fired him, because of bad timing.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hate to sully the mood, but this guy is InternetAristocrat, one of the, uh, major voices in the GG fiasco.

That's good to know. No subs or other videos it is,then, but since I'm really immensely interested in this topic and the video seems to be good and unrelated to political stuff Imma give it a shot.

caliph95

Sponny leaving Channel Awesome had less to do with the Twitter meltdown and more with buissnes decisions. Spoony himself explained in a commentary to "ToBoldely Flee", that there was a lot of tension between many different people and groups at the shooting. So the Twitter fights were an aftermath.
Spoony actually leaving was because Doug wanted to hire him for his new format and studio after the end of the Nostalgia Critic (Demo Reel). But Noah not only didn't belived in the concept, he thought it would kill the channel. Since joing Doug would have also meant moving to Chicago, he didn't wanted to take the financial risk. So he left the channel completely.
Because nobody wanted to talk about his true reasons (which would have made Doug and the channel look bad), they simply didn't comment on it. At the end it looked like they fired him, because of bad timing.
That is great to know, so the drama was unrelated i thought so even if his beaviour was shit
Though it doesn't excuse everything after wards

Burbeting

Banned

Part 1 Doug Walker

Part 2 Noah Antwiler

I was interested at first, until I checked what other videos he had posted and yeah... no. Not going to follow what videos come next.

MechaX

Spoony leaving (and even using this word is a matter of debate; as Spoony at one point said he left willingly in the To Boldly Flee commentary that was done some months after his separation, but I believe at one point he alluded to termination some time later) Channel Awesome was 100% related to the Twitter drama that came up from Lupa mentioning his tweet to JesuOtaku. In fact, Spoony was actually suspended directly because of his behavior at first and Doug/Michaud were actually going to give him a slap on the wrist for the most part (4 week suspension from the site). Although initially agreeing with the decision, his rants actually worsened significantly and he was let go a day or so later.

Now would he have stayed even if this didn't happen? Given what he knew about Critic's next plans, probably not.

Spoony leaving (and even using this word is a matter of debate; as Spoony at one point said he left willingly in the To Boldly Flee commentary that was done some months after his separation, but I believe at one point he alluded to termination some time later) Channel Awesome was 100% related to the Twitter drama that came up from Lupa mentioning his tweet to JesuOtaku. In fact, Spoony was actually suspended directly because of his behavior at first and Doug/Michaud were actually going to give him a slap on the wrist for the most part (4 week suspension from the site). Although initially agreeing with the decision, his rants actually worsened significantly and he was let go a day or so later.

Now would he have stayed even if this didn't happen? Given what he knew about Critic's next plans, probably not.

It could also be some of column a and b

Spoony realized demo reel was a terrible idea and could hurt the life of the site, so when the initial drama over those comments came up instead of playing pc and trying to let it sweep under the rug he went full shit heel since "might as well hard split before this ship hits the titanic". Spoony subsequent behavior over the years makes it seem more likley that his side of the story is less relevant to his firing.

Uzumaki Goku

It could also be some of column a and b

Spoony realized demo reel was a terrible idea and could hurt the life of the site, so when the initial drama over those comments came up instead of playing pc and trying to let it sweep under the rug he went full shit heel since "might as well hard split before this ship hits the titanic". Spoony subsequent behavior over the years makes it seem more likley that his side of the story is less relevant to his firing.

Honestly.... if he just got one video out a month, he'd be fine. I try to get one out every 1-2 weeks.

Uzumaki Goku

Cover what up?

From what I've heard.... this is all second hand information keep in mind... but apparently JesuOtaku was called out for abandoning his friends at Desudesu Brigade for TGWTG, completely screwed over Nash by cheating on him with his current boyfriend, stole a house from him (!!!), made his way to the top of Anime News Network because he was dating the boss (over all the other staff that had been there longer) and then when they got engaged, he went transgender... so... yeah... lots of dirt.

Edit: I know she is now a he... so I apologize for that. Nothing against transgender people, but well... I distinctly remember hearing LordKat ripping on him. I'll try to find it. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of LordKat either.

caliph95

From what I've heard.... this is all second hand information keep in mind... but apparently JesuOtaku was called out for abandoning her friends at Desudesu Brigade for TGWTG, completely screwed over Nash by cheating on him with her current boyfriend, stole a house from him (!!!), made her way to the top of Anime News Network because she was dating the boss (over all the other staff that had been there longer) and then when they got engaged, she went transgender... so... yeah... lots of dirt.
Is it bad because the transistion was recent and knew him as Jesuotaku more soe than he is now that the pronouns got me confused reading this sentence anyway, edit: also i think you misgendered him which is probably the confusion, nevermind fixed
A lot of these sounds like rumor and gossip that spread on forums if it's true yikes

From what I've heard.... this is all second hand information keep in mind... but apparently JesuOtaku was called out for abandoning her friends at Desudesu Brigade for TGWTG, completely screwed over Nash by cheating on him with her current boyfriend, stole a house from him (!!!), made her way to the top of Anime News Network because she was dating the boss (over all the other staff that had been there longer) and then when they got engaged, she went transgender... so... yeah... lots of dirt.

Lovely that you aren't even attempting to use proper pronouns.

Whether you're a fan of JO or not, you could still be respectful.

Burbeting

Banned

Source that are actually legitimate would be nice. Also stop using wrong pronouns :).

zeemumu

Woah, lotta shit going on in here that I wasn't aware of. Didn't know JO came out as trans or any of the stuff that's rumored to have went on with him. I knew a little bit about some of the Channel Awesome/TGWTG drama and people splitting off to do their own thing but I never got that deep into it.

caliph95

Woah, lotta shit going on in here that I wasn't aware of. Didn't know JO came out as trans or any of the stuff that's rumored to have went on with him. I knew a little bit about some of the Channel Awesome/TGWTG drama and people splitting off to do their own thing but I never got that deep into it.
Yeah same here and it's worst than i thought depening how much of it is true, though i heard Doug is hands off doesn't excuse him but slightly better.
I heard stuff about LordKat being an asshole as well

Uzumaki Goku

Yeah same here and it's worst than i thought depening how much of it is true, though i heard Doug is hands off doesn't excuse him but slightly better.

Yeah he basically told Spoony "Kill yourself." And he made out with a drunk woman at MAGFest one year.

Yeah he basically told Spoony "Kill yourself." And he made out with a drunk woman at MAGFest one year.

Yeah Lord Kat is a scum bag which can make it hard to tell if his "telling the truth" is real or just him trying to stir the pot for attention.

From what I've heard.... this is all second hand information keep in mind... but apparently JesuOtaku was called out for abandoning his friends at Desudesu Brigade for TGWTG, completely screwed over Nash by cheating on him with his current boyfriend, stole a house from him (!!!), made his way to the top of Anime News Network because he was dating the boss (over all the other staff that had been there longer) and then when they got engaged, he went transgender... so... yeah... lots of dirt.

Edit: I know she is now a he... so I apologize for that. Nothing against transgender people, but well... I distinctly remember hearing LordKat ripping on him. I'll try to find it. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of LordKat either.

Link of JO coming out as transgender for those who want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2He0zJgNak

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ah yeah, I saw Larry & Steve years ago. One thing he missed is there's a pilot that has Quagmire's voice (and Quagmire is a pilot).

He should do more videos about pilots, see how the show evolved.

On another note, they announced that in July he'll be looking at Norm of the North. Hooo boy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd gladly be up for more videos about the evolution of a show from its initial pilot & such. Heck, this could've easily been a "Was That Real?" episode, considering the last one was from August, though I'm sure some could argue that Jack & The Beanstalk episode could've worked as a WTR episode.

I guess the WTR stuff replaced "Raiders of the Story Arc", which was also a decent idea of taking a look at the first few episodes of a show to see if it still held up.

Also oh god, I remember we got a poster for Norm of the North at our movie theater, but it was put waaaaay out of place so barely anyone would see it.

zeemumu

In more "future news", here's a look at Disneycember's topic later this year.

They weren't all bad. I remember liking Smart House and.... I think that's the only one I really remember. The rest were just forgettable.

Hell yeah it is!

Honestly a lot of them are just dumb 90's fun. Smart House, Zenon, Halloweentown, Twitches, Luck of the Irish, Brink, Don't Look Under the Bed, Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire, The 13th Year.

Jawmuncher

I don't understand why it's so hard to make an action flick with Aliens, Space Marines, and Predators. Dunno why Fox thought this modern day setting was a good idea for both films.

Top Bottom