• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

M3wThr33

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
So the island costs as much as the game itself? I don't think so.
I would have agreed with you, until they decided to mark up random vehicles to cost more than a god damn meal at In'n'Out.

Kryten

What vehicle has everyone used to complete the Road Rage events? - the numbers required are getting high now and I'm struggling to keep my Civilian in one piece long enough, even with plenty of "route planning" along the waterfront garages to keep it repaired.

DuckRacer

CurseoftheGods said:
I'm guessing in Criterion's eyes the game costs $30, the price of the "Ultimate Box."

Besides, they've already released a barebones mode for $10 and multiple cars at $5 a piece. This is a whole island with new billboards, events, and vehicles, which would sell for $3 a piece if they were sold individually. I'd be shocked if it cost less than $20, to be honest.
Kryten said:
What vehicle has everyone used to complete the Road Rage events? - the numbers required are getting high now and I'm struggling to keep my Civilian in one piece long enough, even with plenty of "route planning" along the waterfront garages to keep it repaired.
Huh, I never had much trouble with the road rage events, even late in the game... I think I was using the huge truck for a lot of those, try that.

Dizzan

MINI Member
My thoughts on the pricing:

Burnout Paradise was chosen by EA, as an established franchise, to test out new strategies of Digital distribution. Test out what people are willing to pay for, see if they only want free stuff, see if it affects sales/trade ins etc.

IMO Criterion will create an island so big that it will practically be a sequel. Instead of producing an entire new game, they will just sell new areas each year for a few years. Maybe this will flow on to games like Madden, NBA, Fifa where they just release a full game every two years. On the off years they will just sell an updated roster with a few tweaks.

Dizzan said:
My thoughts on the pricing:

Burnout Paradise was chosen by EA, as an established franchise, to test out new strategies of Digital distribution. Test out what people are willing to pay for, see if they only want free stuff, see if it affects sales/trade ins etc.

IMO Criterion will create an island so big that it will practically be a sequel. Instead of producing an entire new game, they will just sell new areas each year for a few years. Maybe this will flow on to games like Madden, NBA, Fifa where they just release a full game every two years. On the off years they will just sell an updated roster with a few tweaks.

They already do this.

There will be full games every year, because we are willing to pay $65 for our favorite sports game.

Thats really the best business model no matter how serious digital distribution gets.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kryten said:

Also try to go through the mountains routes. Much less traffic there, narrower roads, lots of easy takedowns.

RotBot

I use a stunt car for Road Rage. The other cars are always the same boost class as your car, so if you go aggression, you have to deal with the harder-to-take-out cars.

Kryten

Thanks all, the 4x4 worked a treat - now I've only got 3 cars to take down / get burning routes for (if you can tell me how to make them spawn, I'd be grateful) and the dreaded stunt runs :)

crispyben

DuckRacer said:
Besides, they've already released a barebones mode for $10 and multiple cars at $5 a piece. This is a whole island with new billboards, events, and vehicles, which would sell for $3 a piece if they were sold individually. I'd be shocked if it cost less than $20, to be honest.
Exaggeration much? There were only two cars costing $5 apiece (the Boost Specials), and that's if you buy them separately. Big Surf Island comes with one vehicle that we know of (Dust Storm). There's no telling how much they would sell it individually.

Dizzan said:
IMO Criterion will create an island so big that it will practically be a sequel. Instead of producing an entire new game, they will just sell new areas each year for a few years.
The Big Surf Island page on CG's website says that it's roughly the size of Downtown Paradise. Your suggestion reminds me of this VS. Mode between Stephen Totillo and N'Gai Croal.

Kryten said:
now I've only got 3 cars to take down / get burning routes for (if you can tell me how to make them spawn, I'd be grateful) and the dreaded stunt runs :)
Burning routes are already on the map, look for the one with a star, it matches the car you drive. As for stunt runs, It should be much easier with the sluggish timer pie introduced by the V1.60 update. Don't go too fast, boost a split-second (or reverse) to reset the timer pie, head to a place where you can rack up multipliers (South Bay Expressway, Rockridge Dam, Lone Peaks Quarry, Railway Tracks), flat spin at every occasion for reverse air, don't be too greedy with barrel rolls, plot your course and repeat it, take breaks. That's how got my 40x multiplier Paradise Award.

M3wThr33

Banned
Whew. Reverted to an old save to get the promo cars. Took a while to redownload them. Got a handful more trophies tonight, too. So much to do in the game and I haven't even gone online since I deleted my save.

The Gamestop car gets a SHITLOAD of Driveaways.

Kryten

Hell yeah, Elite + 100%, in the bag :)

Stunt runs are stupidly easy (now?) - basically I had a course that had me boosting to the quarry, pick up some 4x multipliers there then take the big jump heading for the expressway with it's billboards and super jumps - absolute cake.

@ Crispy - yeah, the problem was that the 3 cars I needed hadn't actually appeared for me to take down. You guys must have fucking HATED the WTR Burning Route before restarting was added.

jibblypop

Banned
Quick question for you guys. When I'm on the map screen and I can see events listed, how can I tell which events I've already beaten on the current license?
It may be very easy to tell but I have an SDTV so the text is incredibly small so maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot..

crispyben

jibblypop said:
When I'm on the map screen and I can see events listed, how can I tell which events I've already beaten on the current license?
It may be very easy to tell but I have an SDTV so the text is incredibly small so maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot..
There's a checkmark on the event marker when it's done, but it can be hard to distinguish when zoomed out, especially on an SDTV I guess.

ggp759 said:
does anyone know if a PAL save of the game works with the NTSC version or the downloadable version of the game? thanks
I don't think so, and saves from the retail game aren't compatible with saves from the PSN version either it seems.

Ramenman

So I bought the Toy Jansen and the Jansen 88 Special (yes I love Jansens). They both made me notice one thing I didn't know before : Everytime I make a violent handbrake movement with the stick I actually press it without noticing. Duh.
So I keep sounding my horn or changing mode everytime I want to make a 180°. Is there any way to map it to the other stick?

Anyway i love my Toy Jansen, It's so awesome to have a horn during online, and I love how it drives. The only problem is for drift challenges, where it kind of sucks, but I don't care.

The 88 Special is the goddamn queen of the Stock-Car Track, we were doing the "everyone does 10 near misses" challenge there and it totally felt like playing F-Zero :O

bridegur said:
They wouldn't ask for more than $9.99 for the island, would they? Anything above that and I'd expect it to be at least as half as big as the normal map.

Of course they will. Didn't you see ? 10 bucks is the regular price for a stupid party mode nobody cares about.
Don't expect them to charge the same price for something that looks wonderfully awesome.

I think $15 is the right overprice for the insanely long time I'm gonna spend in it.

I'm gonna buy it anyway no matter the price

ggp759

Banned
crispyben said:
There's a checkmark on the event marker when it's done, but it can be hard to distinguish when zoomed out, especially on an SDTV I guess.

I don't think so, and saves from the retail game aren't compatible with saves from the PSN version either it seems.

Thanks do you know what happens with the trophies though? thanks

M3wThr33 said:
Whew. Reverted to an old save to get the promo cars. Took a while to redownload them. Got a handful more trophies tonight, too. So much to do in the game and I haven't even gone online since I deleted my save.

The Gamestop car gets a SHITLOAD of Driveaways.
I loved the GS car, hence why I hate they took it out of the PSN version of the game.
ggp759 said:
Thanks do you know what happens with the trophies though? thanks
I was wondering the same thing because I ordered the Japanese Ultimate Box and I'm wondering what will happen if I try to play it.

so that 0.0 bug is still attacking me and it's pissing me off. Two Road Rages, a stunt run and chasing two cars to shut them down and it's only after that I see the counter stuck at 0.0. Argh. Three different cars just today.

And www.burnoutteamrocks.com isn't working for me. I load my save, it says it's thinking, and then it doesn't do anything. I only have 5 smashes left and I just want those cars.

crispyben

bune duggy said:
And www.burnoutteamrocks.com isn't working for me. I load my save, it says it's thinking, and then it doesn't do anything. I only have 5 smashes left and I just want those cars.
It may be OOO, but make sure to save manually through the Save option in Under the hood, so that the right files are created, because it doesn't work with the auto-save.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Out of curiosity, do any of the cars have powerslide characteristics similar to the Hornet from Daytona or the cars from Ridge Racer?

crispyben said:
It may be OOO, but make sure to save manually through the Save option in Under the hood, so that the right files are created, because it doesn't work with the auto-save.
I don't trust auto-saves so I always save manually before I quit the game.

it's working now. Maybe it just had hiccups yesterday. oy.

The PS3 Save Analyser helped me grab the last seven super jumps I was missing, pointed out my last smash gate and inspired me to jump off a parking garage for the last billboard. Feels good to finally be done with all the discovery requirements. Now to work on the last 30 or so cars!

As far as the 0.0mi bug goes, I spent a ton of time doing what I mentioned above in the Carson Opus XS only to find that I hadn't driven anywhere. So I switched to the Hunter Cavalry and it said I had gone 239.6 miles before I drove an inch in it.

So I tested out the three carbon fiber cars I unlocked and the "New" tags disappeared from them, but it stuck around when I tried other newly unlocked cars I hadn't driven yet. All of these cars suffered from the 0.0 count too.

Legendary Cars and Boost Specials are a blast, Toy Cars are next and I'm super excited for the Island. I don't care what price they charge, I just want more Paradise City to drive around!

If you don't mind me asking, could anyone explain the promo cars? I got BP from the Circuit City clearance so I'm curious.

you'll have to go back to prior to 1.5 (i.e. delete all of the downloaded stuff), unplug/turn off the Internet, start the game, go to "under the hood" and there's an option for putting in sponsor codes. Gamefaqs has the list.

bune duggy said:
you'll have to go back to prior to 1.5 (i.e. delete all of the downloaded stuff), unplug/turn off the Internet, start the game, go to "under the hood" and there's an option for putting in sponsor codes. Gamefaqs has the list.
Sweet! I'm all for grabbing more cars, thanks!

M3wThr33 said:
It's INTENTIONAL. :|
You have got to be kidding me. I thought the game was just acting up. After I did the burning route, I never went back to check it out but I wondered why it sounded so bad. That's pretty silly.

crispyben

From CrashTVJez's Twitter: Hey PC players! The car packs will probably be out next Wednesday. Look for an official announcement on www.criteriongames.com on Monday!

IslandPete's gone on holiday, which could mean the Island testing is done. If it's gone to certification, we could see it in two or three weeks, but the PCPD pack should be out before it, so who knows?

Dizzy-4U

So, I'm having very bad luck trying to update to 1.7 (Ps3). Every time it reaches to 52%, the connection crash on me. Though, the connection works great if I donwload a demo or something else.

So, if I delete the game and re-download it, do i get the regular game without patches or will it be 1.7?

Dezcom

crispyben said:
IslandPete's gone on holiday, which could mean the Island testing is done. If it's gone to certification, we could see it in two or three weeks, but the PCPD pack should be out before it, so who knows?

Yeah, on the latest Qore, they said by the time we saw the episode that the Island should be just about ready to release or already released.

Dizzy-4U said:
So, I'm having very bad luck trying to update to 1.7 (Ps3). Every time it reaches to 52%, the connection crash on me. Though, the connection works great if I donwload a demo or something else.

So, if I delete the game and re-download it, do i get the regular game without patches or will it be 1.7?

Most likely you'll have to install the updates again. Try to reset your connection (turn off and on your router or whatever) and try again, and turn off and on your PS3 just in case if you haven't. Try a few hours later too if you can.

Dizzy-4U

Philanthropist said:
Most likely you'll have to install the updates again. Try to reset your connection (turn off and on your router or whatever) and try again, and turn off and on your PS3 just in case if you haven't. Try a few hours later too if you can.
I've tried everything. IP in DMZ, disabling UPnP, everything. But now I'm reading that my stupid router might be the problem. Time to change this D-Link piece of crap.

crispyben

Dezcom said:
Yeah, on the latest Qore, they said by the time we saw the episode that the Island should be just about ready to release or already released.
I believe that remark was made about the PCPD pack by one of the employees... I'll be away till Monday, I hope to find good news on my return.

gdt

Looking to clear some space and I have a question.

I have the V1.6 update (825MB) and the Bikes (445MB) and read somewhere that I can erase the Bikes update. As in I want to keep using the bikes, and whatever else it did.

Can I?

gdt5016 said:
Looking to clear some space and I have a question.

I have the V1.6 update (825MB) and the Bikes (445MB) and read somewhere that I can erase the Bikes update. As in I want to keep using the bikes, and whatever else it did.

Can I?

Yes, whenever you download the latest update, you can delete the previous ones.

Dizzy-4U

Finally downloaded 1.7 yesteray. Had to do some proxyserver-whatever and tied it to my PC. Worked great.

I tested all the new cars. Great DLCs IMO. I'll give Criterion all my money again for more.
Delorean is freaking awesome.

PS: I know it's not considered a "Legendary" car, but it would be awesome if they include a custom of the Shelby GT-500 (Eleanor) . The movie was shit, but that car is amazing.

I was playing last night and noticed something strange twice in the span of 30 seconds: a police car. And no, not the one from the game. The lights were on and it was running against traffic during a Road Rage event. It was very weird. Didn't see it again, but I wonder what it was?

bune duggy said:
I was playing last night and noticed something strange twice in the span of 30 seconds: a police car. And no, not the one from the game. The lights were on and it was running against traffic during a Road Rage event. It was very weird. Didn't see it again, but I wonder what it was?

FBI.

spwolf

CurseoftheGods said:

its $60 game that got lowered in price so they can release addons that make it $60 again :D

Awesome game too, and awesome developer.

jett

D-Member
I think I got a trophy bug or something. I have like 34 time roads ruled, and yet I haven't got the "10 Time Road Rules" trophy. :/

crispyben

bune duggy said:
Teasing for the PCPD pack? Did you recognize the model?

jett said:
I think I got a trophy bug or something. I have like 34 time roads ruled, and yet I haven't got the "10 Time Road Rules" trophy. :/
Did you already have more than 10 roads ruled when you downloaded the trophy pack? Did you rule roads with a bike before you had ruled ten of them with a car? If that's the case, you need to back up your save, erase it, start anew and you'll get the trophy once you've ruled 10 roads in a car.

crispyben said:
Teasing for the PCPD pack? Did you recognize the model?
that's what I was thinking, but then why would I be the only person who's seen it? and no, I didn't recognize the model as I was in the middle of a Inferno Van version of Road Rage and was surrounded by large cars trying to take me down.

Also, I crashed shortly after seeing it both times because I was so surprised to see it. Road Rage cars never run against/towards you so I actually got out of the way instead of hitting it. Should have taken it down, but I wasn't thinking that at the time.

Top Bottom