• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Shinjitsu said:
If you just started I would recommend just unlocking the cars in the basic game, there's a lot and they all feel different, and its a great game with just the free addons, once you start to get a little tired of those, spend your money on the DLC.

I haven't played the game yet, but being a Daytona/Ridge Racer fan, I'd like to know do any of the cars powerslide or drift? How easy/useful is it to pull the off around corners?

alex1893

isamu said:
I haven't played the game yet, but being a Daytona/Ridge Racer fan, I'd like to know do any of the cars powerslide or drift? How easy/useful is it to pull the off around corners?
depends on the car, some of them are very drift friendly and it's quite useful to cut corners with it... but it's risky though because unlike Daytona or RR you've got oncoming traffic. ;)

If you do it right you can basically drift forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJW2KAlKlg :D

Dahbomb

100% game completed: Criterion Elite license! :D

Time to tackle online but I hate how when you have activated a challenge and you are about to finish it but there is one jackass who doesn't do shit and ends up costing the challenge.

crispyben

rhfb said:
Weird, it worked for me but only after I went back in game and did a hard save. Just using the autosaved file by its self didn't work for some reason :|
Yep, that's the way it's meant to work, this has been remarked several times in this thread...

Shinjitsu said:
If you just started I would recommend just unlocking the cars in the basic game, there's a lot and they all feel different, and its a great game with just the free addons, once you start to get a little tired of those, spend your money on the DLC.
Wise words. There's so much to do "just" to get your Elite License and 102% that the vehicle packs should not be used until you've done that. Of course, your mileage may vary :D

Dahbomb said:
100% game completed: Criterion Elite license! :D

Time to tackle online but I hate how when you have activated a challenge and you are about to finish it but there is one jackass who doesn't do shit and ends up costing the challenge.
Congrats! 101% is not far away, but 102% is a hard road... The only way I did it was by hosting rooms myself, kicking the jackasses and friending the cooperative people. It still took me a while, and that last one (a power parking challenge!) was nail-biting :lol

Agent X

isamu said:

It depends on the car. You'd probably like the Tempesta or Tempesta GT for drifting.

Donos

isamu said:

I find drifting really easy. Just hit the break (not the handbreak) for half second. Stunt Cars are the best ones for drifting but some crash and speed cars are also good for.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just got this game today and love it. How do I unlock more cars though? Challenges/events?

Also, does anyone know where to get replacement PS3 cases.. the red box is ugly. :(

Dahbomb

Fyrus said:
Just got this game today and love it. How do I unlock more cars though? Challenges/events?

Also, does anyone know where to get replacement PS3 cases.. the red box is ugly. :(
Doing events allows for more cars to enter paradise city so you can take them down and add them to your collection. Just about every other car has a Burning Route challenge which if you complete you get a modified version of that same car (normally you get a boost upgrade with a slight reduction in normal speed).

Getting a new license gives you a kick ass new car usually. Getting all of Time Road Rules gets you a special carbon car, so does doing all Showtimes, all Super Jumps, all Billboards and all 400 Smashes.

It's going to take you a while before you get all 80 some odd cars...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Agent X said:
It depends on the car. You'd probably like the Tempesta or Tempesta GT for drifting.

Donos said:
I find drifting really easy. Just hit the break (not the handbreak) for half second. Stunt Cars are the best ones for drifting but some crash and speed cars are also good for.

Thanks. If they can be pulled off in the vein or Daytona or OutRun 2 then that's definitely a plus :D

crispyben

voltron said:
Got my Elite license yesterday!

How do I get those extra 2 cars? It says I have 73/75 cars.
It depends on what you've done... You get a car for two full sets of online utimed Freeburn challenges, and others for doing everything in a category (Smashes, Super Jumps, Billboards, Road Rules, Showtime Road Rules...).

voltron

crispyben said:
It depends on what you've done... You get a car for two full sets of online utimed Freeburn challenges, and others for doing everything in a category (Smashes, Super Jumps, Billboards, Road Rules, Showtime Road Rules...).

Ive done everything apart from road rules. Tks forgot about them.

crispyben

It looks like Big Surf Island has not been sent to certification yet :(

Island life is great

IslandPete here; I just have to say... life is great. I don't want to rub it in but everyday here at Criterion Games just rocks. I come back from a real-world vacation to check out the progress on the Island and "Wow!" - the team here doesn't ever stop amazing me.

It appears that TheWebsterHoff, SargeSullivan and CrashTVJez couldn't help themselves in my absence and have been on a rampage across Big Surf Island, with some awesome results... if only I could tell you more!

Island_Screenshot01.png

You see it's all about team work here at Criterion, the guys have been working with the Island construction crew to tweak and iterate some of our final gameplay experiences, including an awesome new car. Everyone on the team has a say in what we do and are all passionate about the details. It may look like we're playing games all day but deep down we are professionals looking for every way to enhance the game experience.

Wish you could join us? We are looking for some awesome new artists to join our team here. If you have a passion for games and a lot of unused creative juices then check out CriterionGames.com for more info. Say IslandPete sent you.

I'll be back soon with some more Big Surf Island info but in the meantime you might want to brush up your Stunt Run skills in the Hawker Mech... you might need them on the Island if the Sarge has anything to say about it.

One more (new?) shot:

Island_Screenshot10.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tired of the cockteases, just release the damn thing!!!! And lower the car packs to around 15 for both. I would buy a bundle for around 10 though. Come on Criterion, I want them damn trophies!!!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started Paradise this weekend. This game has its hooks in me, can't stop playing. Already got my Burnout license, now on to Elite. The Burning Routes for some of the cars you unlock late in the game are getting rather tricky.

Anyone have any pointers for the 20x Boost chain achievement? I read there used to be an easy way to do it, but they fixed it with later updates :(

crispyben

Darunia said:
Started Paradise this weekend. This game has its hooks in me, can't stop playing. Already got my Burnout license, now on to Elite. The Burning Routes for some of the cars you unlock late in the game are getting rather tricky.

Anyone have any pointers for the 20x Boost chain achievement? I read there used to be an easy way to do it, but they fixed it with later updates :(
Two easier ways:

1) start a Stunt Run when driving a not-too-fast Speed class car, lap around the I-88 in oncoming, switch cars if it's too fast or the Burnouts don't chain (Stunt Run thins traffic)

2) start an unranked online race with a friend, chose 'no traffic', lap around the I-88 in oncoming with a Speed class car, don't crash and ask your friend not to finish the race before you're done

AndyD

aka andydumi
Darunia said:

I cant think of one. Easiest I found was wrong way driving on the freeway.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
crispyben said:
Two easier ways:

1) start a Stunt Run when driving a not-too-fast Speed class car, lap around the I-88 in oncoming, switch cars if it's too fast or the Burnouts don't chain (Stunt Run thins traffic

so if I pick the right car and drive in oncoming, I shouldn't have to worry about drifting to keep my chain up?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I really suck at doing the flat spins in this game. I can only do about 260 degrees each time I try. Any tips for doing a full 360?

Returners

DRock said:
I really suck at doing the flat spins in this game. I can only do about 260 degrees each time I try. Any tips for doing a full 360?

Quary Jump. About the only place to do it for me. Try to start spinning earlier.

LiquidMetal14

DRock said:
bp1094flatspinliquidmetal14.jpg

At the beach, this was about a year ago now but I still have it saved.

crispyben

Darunia said:
so if I pick the right car and drive in oncoming, I shouldn't have to worry about drifting to keep my chain up?
If you go fast enough in oncoming (but slow enough that you can avoid cars) and get some near misses, that should be enough to refill the boost bar while you deplete it, thus chaining Burnouts...

DRock said:
Don't let go of the e-brake and keep steering on the direction you spin. Rotation depends of your launch speed and how close to the edge you start spinning. Of course, using a Stunt class car is advised.

DRock

Returners said:
Quary Jump. About the only place to do it for me. Try to start spinning earlier.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not spinning early enough? I usually just go full speed to the jump and then as soon as I hit the bottom of the ramp I slam on the e-brake and hold left until I land.

I've tried mostly at the Quarry, the one really high jump from the road above the quarry.

Returners

DRock said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not spinning early enough? I usually just go full speed to the jump and then as soon as I hit the bottom of the ramp I slam on the e-brake and hold left until I land.

I've tried mostly at the Quarry, the one really high jump from the road above the quarry.

no no no. Start Spinning on the ramp as AlphaTwo00 said. Your car should not be straight when you leave the ramp.

crispyben

DRock said:

You may be e-braking too soon, you should spin 180° at most before taking air. Some good legit spins can be had at the Airfield, by jumping towards the tower after a run-up starting at the foot of it. You can hit 1,000° there.

DRock

crispyben said:
You may be e-braking too soon, you should spin 180° at most before taking air. Some good legit spins can be had at the Airfield, by jumping towards the tower after a run-up starting at the foot of it. You can hit 1,000° there.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

LiquidMetal14

Chû Totoro said:
19$ max for me (I hope I will resist if it's more...).
When does it come out ?
I will not pay more than 20. If they were smart they would just make it 10-15. And bundle it for 20-25 with the boost specials and toy car packs.

Threi

notag
Uh so this game deleted my savegame for what seems like no reason at all:

I installed the newest patch for 360, and went to play a new game, and it started the opening game loop. I tried moving the savefile from my memory card to the hard drive, but still nothing. I don't want to actually start over just in case there is any chance of it being recovered but im pretty peeved at this (I was at A license).

Am I screwed?

LiquidMetal14

You can make backups on 360 right? You may be screwed but I really don't know the ins and outs of the way 360 work on that front. Doesn't look good though.

Puck

Banned
Burnout team rocks save analyzer is broken for me.

I uploaded my latest game save that has 44/50 jumps and 398/400 gate smashes, and the site shows me as not even having half of that. I just got my burnout license, so i am pondering whether to keep pushing for the burnout elite license too. I just want some new cars

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
God, I just spent what was the length of an entire podcast trying to do the burning route for the 25 V16, an insanely fast car. It's so hard :( Even if I deliver a great first half and get past the freeway section, I always crash at least once and that means immediate failure. You have to boost all the time, so dodging cars is a pain.

Chris R

Slowly working my way up to a higher license. At a C now with like 6 wins left to upgrade. Thing is if I see even one unbroken billboard or gate I swerve off the road and try to break em :lol

Darunia said:
God, I just spent what was the length of an entire podcast trying to do the burning route for the 25 V16, an insanely fast car. It's so hard :( Even if I deliver a great first half and get past the freeway section, I always crash at least once and that means immediate failure. You have to boost all the time, so dodging cars is a pain.
Crashing once should be OK, but you have to find the smart shortcuts and avoid the hard ones. In the end I started avoiding the one with two wooden bridges, because running it at full speed is really hard, you tend to jump out in the bushes.

I also found this burning route to be pretty hard, but in the end I made a run and avoided to crash at all and had a 10 seconds margin. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
painful fart said:
Crashing once should be OK, but you have to find the smart shortcuts and avoid the hard ones. In the end I started avoiding the one with two wooden bridges, because running it at full speed is really hard, you tend to jump out in the bushes.

I also found this burning route to be pretty hard, but in the end I made a run and avoided to crash at all and had a 10 seconds margin. :lol

I watched a video and it turns out I actually took a wrong main route :eek: Coming out of the tunnel you're supposed to make a hard right, which I didn't. I got it first try after realizing that. With a bunch of seconds to spare

Also, because of this game that Brand New song has been stuck in my head for like forever. Same with Girlfriend :s I also forgot what an awesome song Faith No More's Epic is

crispyben

Darunia said:
There are many ways to do it, pick yours: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=25+V16+burning+route&aq=f

EDIT: too late...

RanoNL

Yeah! My first Platinum and 100% with Burnout Paradise. It was fun to collect them :D Looking forward to the new island!

crispyben

Teasing their April Fools news: Burnout Planes, on Twitter

TheWebsterHoff
Will you come fly with us today?
----------------------------------------------------------------
IslandPete
So excited about todays news!

Angst

RanoNL said:
Yeah! My first Platinum and 100% with Burnout Paradise. It was fun to collect them :D Looking forward to the new island!

Congrats! :D

I'll never get it though as I don't have an Eyetoy. And none of my friends plays it anymore so I can't invite anyone to play with me online either. Or maybe someone here can help me out?

Donos

crispyben said:

he took the first left corner so bad and slow.(did he use the handbreak?) "Just" drift through it from a good angle. sometimes there comes a car but in 6 out 10 theres none. but yeah the 25 V16 was my hardest burning route. the suggested route is too slow in the end. i took the more nothern route (same as in the vid i think).

RanoNL

Angst said:
Congrats! :D

I'll never get it though as I don't have an Eyetoy. And none of my friends plays it anymore so I can't invite anyone to play with me online either. Or maybe someone here can help me out?
You don't have to have an Eyetoy. I used my Xbox Live Vision Cam :lol

Top Bottom