• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Akia

I just started playing this game this weekend on the 360 and holy crap its awesome.

I'm working on my B license right now. I really wish I jumped in pre-restart events patch because now that its there I can't make myself not restart. Other than that I haven't bought any cars from the store because I'm afraid they'll spoil me.

Where in Paradise City can I go to really learn how to pull off stunts (flips/barrel rolls)?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Akia said:
I just started playing this game this weekend on the 360 and holy crap its awesome.

I'm working on my B license right now. I really wish I jumped in pre-restart events patch because now that its there I can't make myself not restart. Other than that I haven't bought any cars from the store because I'm afraid they'll spoil me.

Where in Paradise City can I go to really learn how to pull off stunts (flips/barrel rolls)?

Beach is good

jett

D-Member
crispyben said:
Did you already have more than 10 roads ruled when you downloaded the trophy pack? Did you rule roads with a bike before you had ruled ten of them with a car? If that's the case, you need to back up your save, erase it, start anew and you'll get the trophy once you've ruled 10 roads in a car.

I have the downloadable Burnout...I'm not restarting my freaking game man. :/

Mar

Akia said:

The bridge or the airfield. Both areas are great to practice barrel rolls, flat spins and jumps.

Akia

Thanks for the replies. So the bridge (which one?), the beach and the airfield are good places to do stunts.

I have another noob question: what are burning routes, road rules showtime, "roads I've ruled" and parking power? As you can tell, I'm trying to make sense of all the stats that game is tracking.

Mar

Akia said:
Thanks for the replies. So the bridge (which one?), the beach and the airfield are good places to do stunts.

I have another noob question: what are burning routes and parking power?

South bridge or whatever they call it. The one that connects the city to the mountains south side.

Burning routes are the races where you have to have a particular car, and you have a time limit to reach the end.

Power parking is when you do a Blues Brothers-esque handbrake spin into a parking spot.

crispyben

Akia said:

I have another noob question: what are burning routes, road rules showtime, "roads I've ruled" and parking power? As you can tell, I'm trying to make sense of all the stats that game is tracking.
I don't find the South Bay Expressway Bridge such a good place for stunts, you can easily crash while flatspinning. I'd say Lone Peaks Quarry and the Rockridge Cliffs jump are much better places to flatspin/barrel roll, but the beach and especially the airfield are good for this purpose.

There are two ways to "rule a road": time and showtime. If you press up on the goddamned Dpad, you'll notice the street name changes background along with the record info beneath it. That's your offline/online time/showtime records. Online mixes your records and your friends', offline doesn't. Now, set that to whichever you want to beat, and get going.

For a time road rule, just go from one end of a street to the other (you can gain momentum before) without crashing and using too big shortcuts.

For a showtime road rule, drive on any street and press R1+L1 at any time. Use the analogs to steer into cars to fill your boost, aim for buses (+1 multiplier), boost only when needed to make your wreck move, and you can go anywhere to gain points, you don't have to stay on the starting street. Clear?

crispyben

voltron said:
when can we expect the new playable content? Anyone know?
Nope, announcements are usually made on Mondays, so...

Akia, I advise you to time rule 10 roads offline in a car first, just to be safe trophy-wise. Ruling all 64 roads both ways will earn you two carbon cars and go towards your completion percentage. Enjoy!

Ashour

rhfb said:
Been playing the game recently again, thinking I'm going to have to try to get every single trophy now :lol

I'm still missing most of the bike trophies and 2 online trophies but I'll probably try to get them when the new island comes out with new trophies.

Akia

crispyben said:
Akia, I advise you to time rule 10 roads offline in a car first, just to be safe trophy-wise. Ruling all 64 roads both ways will earn you two carbon cars and go towards your completion percentage. Enjoy!

I understood your earlier post. I'm playing on 360 so do I still have to do 10 time rule roads offline before I do online ones? Also when I play online I usually just do the Freeburn. What's the big deal about Ranked online matches?

Mar_ most parking garages would work for my parking power needs right?

Akia said:
most parking garages would work for my parking power needs right?
I found these two videos helpful when learning to power park:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWP8ElLc7xQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIg_I4tWS98

I don't think you can do it in a parking garage, seeing as it's a fancy form of parallel parking and the cars need to be lined up on the side of a road. If you hit/jump the curb, your power park will fail. The second video shows that you can eliminate the chance for mistakes by power parking where there is no sidewalk (against a wall).

crispyben

Akia said:
I understood your earlier post. I'm playing on 360 so do I still have to do 10 time rule roads offline before I do online ones? Also when I play online I usually just do the Freeburn. What's the big deal about Ranked online matches?
No, you're right, no worries there. About online, I only do the Freeburn challenges or events too, but there's a whole ranked racing scene, especially on PS3 I believe.

Kryten

I'm left with "Block Party" and the Carbon Uberschall to obtain before I'm finally done - do the timed challenges count towards that achievement or is it just the Freeburn groups (of 50) that count? I ended up in a decent group online the other night and we beat the 4 player timed challenges in one sitting - good times :)

Donos

of fuck... got the Krieger Uberschall 8 ... i normally hate the speed cars but this thing is just a fucking beast. I'm so tensed while driving cause this thing is so fast. Love the grip. Won several races (SP) passing the other cars with my supreme boost. <8 clear view too.

crispyben

Kryten said:
I'm left with "Block Party" and the Carbon Uberschall to obtain before I'm finally done - do the timed challenges count towards that achievement or is it just the Freeburn groups (of 50) that count? I ended up in a decent group online the other night and we beat the 4 player timed challenges in one sitting - good times :)
Those have to be untimed. Good luck!

voltron

BTW (Im sure this is common knowledge by now) if you want a really easy (and fun) way to do stunt events and the events where youre being chased to a finish line (cant remember name) then buy the police car toy car. Its only 160pts and it makes those event so fuckin easy. Especially the stunt events. I find it so much easier not getting from one place to another while keeping the trick going.

Race event are also pretty easy too. Road rage can be, but sometimes it can be frustrating.

xbhaskarx

Random question: I was playing this last night and now today I have a song stuck in my head even though I can't remember a single word of it. It kind of sounded like the B-52s (female vocalist) but I don't think they're in this game.... any help?

STG

xbhaskarx said:
Random question: I was playing this last night and now today I have a song stuck in my head even though I can't remember a single word of it. It kind of sounded like the B-52s (female vocalist) but I don't think they're in this game.... any help?
avril!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow, the madworld soundtrack works so well with this game. :D I wish I didn't have to listen to it on youtube while playing burnout.

Mar_ said:

Learn from the masters!
My dad let me watch that movie when I was eight years old. I used to sit in the drivers seat of his Grand Prix pretending I could power park. For a while, every third sentence out of my mouth was, "Yes! Yes! Jesus H. tap dancing Christ, I have seen the light!" :lol

Mar

Nintendo Playstation said:
My dad let me watch that movie when I was eight years old. I used to sit in the drivers seat of his Grand Prix pretending I could power park. For a while, every third sentence out of my mouth was, "Yes! Yes! Jesus H. tap dancing Christ, I have seen the light!" :lol

That is fucking awesome. I approve of any parent bringing up their kids with The Blues Brothers.

I was just thinking about the price of this game.

$20 base + $10 party pack + $8 ea. legendary cars / boost specials + $13 toy cars = $59. If Big Surf Island is $20, this game is as expensive as most CE's. And for those that bought the game at full price, it's double the original $60! But in my opinion it's all worth it for the quantity & quality of content Criterion's packed in.

Still having minor problems with the 0.0 mile count but it's inconsistent. Some cars lose their "new" tag and some have broken odometers. I don't know what changes but I'd like to see it fixed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
NintendoPS, I have to go the other way on the recent DLC. It's been mishandled on the pricing front. I don't wait to pay 21 dollars for the boost specials and toy cars. I really want to get 100% of the trophies bit I feel that they are about 5-10 dollars too much. This along with SF4 have really put my DLC spending to a halt. I can't bring myself to spend half my funds on DLC right now. Especially when these next few weeks are gonna be busy on PSN.

I just picked this game up the other day and played it a bit. Is there much of a point to this game? Just drive around and find a race to do? I don't really get it.

voltron

Son of Godzilla said:
I just picked this game up the other day and played it a bit. Is there much of a point to this game? Just drive around and find a race to do? I don't really get it.

Its called a racing game. Instead of choosing the races off a list, you drive to different events throughout the world. This design is called "open world".

In addition to the races, there are events such as 'Stunt man', 'Road Rage' and other. Similarly, these events are access by driving around the world and activating them. This design is called "Burnout".

crispyben

xbhaskarx said:
Take a look here, there are many female vocalists on the soundtrack...

LiquidMetal14 said:
NintendoPS, I have to go the other way on the recent DLC. It's been mishandled on the pricing front. I don't wait to pay 21 dollars for the boost specials and toy cars. I really want to get 100% of the trophies bit I feel that they are about 5-10 dollars too much. This along with SF4 have really put my DLC spending to a halt. I can't bring myself to spend half my funds on DLC right now. Especially when these next few weeks are gonna be busy on PSN.

I know what you mean. Which is why I have yet to buy the party pack, boost specials and toy cars. I'm determined to make this my first platinum trophy. And when I do, then I'll buy the toys and specials and give the party a try. I'm going for the island no matter how far I am in the game. It's just been a while since I picked up a game that I spent so many hours on, regardless of the cost. I personally am against showtime road rules. It feels to me like a cheap way to force the player into spending a whole bunch more time in the city. But the crashes are intense and very fun to watch if you can keep it going. I'll get through them all eventually.

Nintendo Playstation said:
I know what you mean. Which is why I have yet to buy the party pack, boost specials and toy cars. I'm determined to make this my first platinum trophy. And when I do, then I'll buy the toys and specials and give the party a try. I'm going for the island no matter how far I am in the game. It's just been a while since I picked up a game that I spent so many hours on, regardless of the cost. I personally am against showtime road rules. It feels to me like a cheap way to force the player into spending a whole bunch more time in the city. But the crashes are intense and very fun to watch if you can keep it going. I'll get through them all eventually.
Err. I don't think Platinum is affected by the DLC Trophies. It's not like they can take it away once you got Platinum.

You're right. It's not. The platinum details "earn all trophies exluding additional content" or something to that effect. I just wanna wait. But maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should buy all the extra cars while I'm still playing through a big chunk of the game so I'll actually get some use out of them, unlike some RB2 songs I've bought and only played once or never at all.

crispyben

No Big Surf Island news, but news nonetheless, from Twitter:

CrashTVJez > All 3 PC Cars Pack will be released later today. That means Legendary Cars, Boost Specials and Toys! I'll post again when we're live.

crispyben

It may be nothing, but this post on the CGN seems to tease something from Criterion in September...

Trophies And Achievements You Will Never Get!

Here at Criterion Games, we think that you deserve Trophies. Lots of them. So we make sure you get plenty, without having to go through hours of misery to get them. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks this way.

Here is our top three countdown of ridiculously hard and annoying Trophies and Achievements!

3. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - Remember September ‘44
To get this Trophy you need to play the game online on September the 17th. Unfortunately you only get one of those a year, and the next one isn't for another six months. So that's a bit of a none starter, then.

What's more, when September does finally roll round, you'll have something better to do anyway. Because we'll make sure of it!

2. ICC Cricket 2007 - Win ICC CWC with 8 teams
To earn yourself this imaginatively titled Achievement, you need to win the Cricket World Cup with eight different teams. Eight!

You will never do this for two very obvious reasons. Firstly, it involves playing cricket. A lot. Secondly, it involves winning at cricket, which we English just don't really hold with. Instead you should be made to follow on, then nurdle a googly straight to silly mid-on and be back in the pavillion for a duck*. More tea, vicar?

*Can anyone out there translate that? The best answer wins a prize. Probably.

1. Rock Band 2 - Bladder of Steel Award.
To get this Trophy you have to play every song in the entire game. In sequence. Without failing. Or pausing.

This is clearly impossible, because it would require you to play the game for several hours with limited bathroom breaks; which would force you to have to listen to your friends' singing without several beers close at hand!

Anyone who has heard the Websterhoff's rendition of Livin' on a Prayer would know that just doesn't bear thinking about. Oh, the humanity!

Chris R

Does the PS3 save analyzer not work with the PSN version? I just tried it and it only shows the very first three things you unlock when the game is started, even though I'm at like 20% total done now.

The downloadable content is now available for the PC including the Steam version. I purchased the legendary cars and am trying to decide if the toy cars are worth it. What say ye?

Chris R

bune duggy said:
worked for me just last week.
Weird, it worked for me but only after I went back in game and did a hard save. Just using the autosaved file by its self didn't work for some reason :|

Shinjitsu

Banned
LovingSteam said:
The downloadable content is now available for the PC including the Steam version. I purchased the legendary cars and am trying to decide if the toy cars are worth it. What say ye?

I have the toy cars on 360, I really enjoy the feel of them, really different compared to the other cars in the game. Best use I've found for them is the stunt cars and for roadrage/marked man. I like them a lot, if you have the dough I'd buy em. :D

Shinjitsu said:
I have the toy cars on 360, I really enjoy the feel of them, really different compared to the other cars in the game. Best use I've found for them is the stunt cars and for roadrage/marked man. I like them a lot, if you have the dough I'd buy em. :D

Thanks for the words :) I might just do it. I spent a few hours playing for the first time today and man, what a fun game. I am tempted to buy all of the packs so we will see. I have yet to play online which I am looking forward to.

I just bought this at Sears for $15 new, Playstation 3 version.

Updating now, five files to download? Taking awhile. I can't wait to play it though! :)

Shinjitsu

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Thanks for the words :) I might just do it. I spent a few hours playing for the first time today and man, what a fun game. I am tempted to buy all of the packs so we will see. I have yet to play online which I am looking forward to.

If you just started I would recommend just unlocking the cars in the basic game, there's a lot and they all feel different, and its a great game with just the free addons, once you start to get a little tired of those, spend your money on the DLC.

Top Bottom