• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Woo-Fu

Banned
ElyrionX said:
For those of you who like Burnout Paradise, you should give Midnight Club: Los Angles a shot. It's a better racer, IMO, and thoroughly surprised me after I picked it up for cheap from Play-Asia.

I just can't play MC:LA, it has that most glaring of design flaws in an open world racing game, the retry option.

Woo-Fu said:
I just can't play MC:LA, it has that most glaring of design flaws in an open world racing game, the retry option.
Wow. Thanks for just repeating the fact that you don't like not having retry in Burnout. I swear, of the 85 pages here, probably half of them are people bitching about not having retry.

I liked MC:LA. Not as much as Burnout Paradise (fuck, the traffic is all over the place, and crashing is just too punishing), but definitely a good open world racing game.

ElyrionX

AlphaTwo00 said:
Wow. Thanks for just repeating the fact that you don't like not having retry in Burnout. I swear, of the 85 pages here, probably half of them are people bitching about not having retry.

You know, that's probably not far off the mark. :lol

But that just shows how flawed the design decision was doesn't it?

Is there an online or in-game manual anywhere? I dl'ed it from PSN and I'm a little lost in some of the different modes and terms in the game.

ElyrionX said:

No, it shows how resistant people are to change and how little they respect or understand innovation. The game as designed doesn't need retry, but people complain because it's not exactly like every other game they've ever played. It's sad really.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BobJustBob said:
No, it shows how resistant people are to change and how little they respect or understand innovation. The game as designed doesn't need retry, but people complain because it's not exactly like every other game they've ever played. It's sad really.

I liked it until I was down to a handful of events and I would have to retry the same thing a few times with nothing new to do around...

So yes, it was a wise decision for a good portion of the game, but it was a very poor decision for a small portion of the game but which took more time than it needed to because of it.

In other words, in the beginning I had nearly 0% downtime where I was doing nothing but events of some sort, new goals, new things. Towards the end, I had about half a dozen events left but doing each one multiple times with no restart upped the downtime to more than half and left a bitter taste of the end game.

Overall a hugely great game though. But I can see why people who are soured on it at the end come here and complain. No one complains in the first few hours when there is so much to do.

Returners

ElyrionX said:
You know, that's probably not far off the mark. :lol

No it doesn't.
By that rationale, MC:LA also has some flawed decisions doesn't it?
Everyone has their own likes/dislikes, there is NO problem with not having a retry option.

p.s. please don't come into the Burnout thread and talk about MC:LA.

Mar

So besides 2 posts, this entire page is dedicated to the same tired argument of 'retry'. Let it go people. The game came out in January last year, a retry is coming. Please for the love of god stop bringing this issue up.

ElyrionX

Returners said:
No it doesn't.
By that rationale, MC:LA also has some flawed decisions doesn't it?
Everyone has their own likes/dislikes, there is NO problem with not having a retry option.

p.s. please don't come into the Burnout thread and talk about MC:LA.

I only brought up MC:LA in one post in this thread and that was because I thought people who like BO should buy it since MC:LA seems to be getting far less attention than it really should be getting.

Of course there are flawed design decision in MC:LA, I didn't say the game is perfect.

It is only in your opinion that there is "no problem with not having a retry option" in Burnout Paradise. Unfortunately, many other people seem to think otherwise and these are the same people who are the audience for Burnout Paradise (on the basis that they bought the game). A game should be catered towards the tastes/preferences of its audience, otherwise why even make a game at all?

ElyrionX

BobJustBob said:

Uhhh, WTF? People are complaining not because they're Luddites but because the lack of a retry option frustrated the shit out of them. How hard is it to understand something as simple as that?

Burning Routes are arguably the most rewarding races in the game since you unlock a new car for each one you finish and it simply exposes just how flawed that design decision is.

ElyrionX said:
A game should be catered towards the tastes/preferences of its audience, otherwise why even make a game at all?

That is a terrible argument. I guess all those famous artists were failures too because they weren't appreciated at the time. They should have made crap their audience wanted.

Greatness is still greatness whether it's appreciated or not.

ElyrionX

BobJustBob said:
That is a terrible argument. I guess all those famous artists were failures too because they weren't appreciated at the time. They should have made crap their audience wanted.

Greatness is still greatness whether it's appreciated or not.

Not even half as terrible as your argument that people complained about the lack of retry simply because it is something different.

reminds me of:
Act Two. Paint by Numbers.

Alex Melamid and Vitaly Komar hired a polling firm to investigate what people want to see in paintings. Then, using the data, they painted what people want. It turned out to be a landscape, with a mountain and a lake, and deer, and a family, and George Washington. Then they applied these techniques to music, with composer David Soldier. They surveyed audiences about what kind of instruments and topics they liked most in their songs. Then they produced one song based on what people most want to hear—and one song based on what they hate the most. The one people hate includes bagpipes, children singing, lyrics about holidays and religion, wild volume and tempo changes. If you'd like a copy of the songs featured in this segment, visit Melamid and Komar's website. You can buy both the Most Wanted and Most Unwanted Songs directly from them. (11 minutes)

Woo-Fu

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:

I liked MC:LA. Not as much as Burnout Paradise (fuck, the traffic is all over the place, and crashing is just too punishing), but definitely a good open world racing game.

Hear that? It is the sound of my point rushing over your head.

I wasn't complaining about lack of retry, I was complaining about the guy who called lack of retry in Burnout Paradise a flawed design decision and then decided to start pimping Midnight Club in this thread.

Did you read his post?

ElyrionX said:
"The way it was meant to be played" is a very poor and flimsy defence of a flawed design decision.

Do you get it now AlphaTwo00? I was parodying his comment by making the same comment about the other game he brought up.

It would take all of a 5 second post history review to see that not only do I support "no retry" in Burnout Paradise but that I do so because I think it makes perfect sense in an open world racing game riddled with shortcuts, hidden items, etc., and one where learning the map is crucial to winning races.

I can understand people want retry, but then again lots of people like things that are ultimately detrimental to them. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
When I first played the game, it was long after the retry controversy. Admittedly I don't play many racers, but at no point did I miss the retry function, in fact, I didn't even realise it was missing when I first started playing. I didn't realise it didn't have a retry function until I read someone complaining about it in an unrelated thread (I think it was the GOTY thread). The game was structured in such a way that I felt a retry would have been totally unnecessary. Not having one lended itself to the flow of the game in my opinion.

But I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, someone has probably argued my point and argued it much better months ago. But there's my two cents anyway.

Cdammen

The only time I missed a retry function was when I had like three races left. If I had a retry option I think I wouldn't have put that much time into hunting "smashables", doing crazy tricks, discovering new areas and learning the streets :)

Woo-Fu said:
Hear that? It is the sound of my point rushing over your head.

I wasn't complaining about lack of retry, I was complaining about the guy who called lack of retry in Burnout Paradise a flawed design decision and then decided to start pimping Midnight Club in this thread.

Did you read his post?

Do you get it now AlphaTwo00? I was parodying his comment by making the same comment about the other game he brought up.

It would take all of a 5 second post history review to see that not only do I support "no retry" in Burnout Paradise but that I do so because I think it makes perfect sense in an open world racing game riddled with shortcuts, hidden items, etc., and one where learning the map is crucial to winning races.

I can understand people want retry, but then again lots of people like things that are ultimately detrimental to them. :)
Consider my statement retracted then. I'm just really sick and tired of seeing this thread bumped up, only to have someone new bring up the retry thing every so often.

Might as well bring this up, since I was playing recently and thinking about it: Any of you still play the new Showtime "Crash/Katamari" mode? In the time my XBox died, most of my race scores were wiped off the map by friends, however, the Showtime mode scores were almost untouched. Is the fact that each event is entirely random hurt it's lasting appeal?

Would you want to old Crash mode back?

Oh, and for the Jan 16th's last DLC announcement, any predirections?

Woo-Fu

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Might as well bring this up, since I was playing recently and thinking about it: Any of you still play the new Showtime "Crash/Katamari" mode? In the time my XBox died, most of my race scores were wiped off the map by friends, however, the Showtime mode scores were almost untouched. Is the fact that each event is entirely random hurt it's lasting appeal?

Would you want to old Crash mode back?

Showtime seemed pointless, I only did what I had to to advance my license.

I didn't play previous burnout games, so have no familiarity with crash mode and might also go on to explain how easy it is for me to enjoy burnout paradise for what it is instead of what it isn't.

That said, more things to do is more things to do and people seemed to like crash mode.

dk_

What has the PSN version of Burnout Paradise the 360 launch version didn't have? Bike update, what else?

dk_ said:
What has the PSN version of Burnout Paradise the 360 launch version didn't have? Bike update, what else?
A bunch of game fixes, additional online challenges, 3? new online only cars.

All these are available as patches for both PS3 and 360 retail disk.

The PS3 has the bonus additional update for trophies and a In-Game file that allows you to see what you are missing (you can bring your save file to the website to highlight what you have left to do).

Returners

ElyrionX said:
I only brought up MC:LA in one post in this thread and that was because I thought people who like BO should buy it since MC:LA seems to be getting far less attention than it really should be getting.

It just seems to me that the reason that you LIKE MC:LA is because OF the retry option. And sure you can recommend a game to the fellow peers. Your constant harping of a IYO "flawed" decision on Criterion's part is NOT considered a flaw because of all the other factors Criterion made the game.

And like I said before in this thread. When the same race type in MC:LA, that game falls flat on its face, and thus the retry option is NEEDED, not optional at all.

Returners

Woo-Fu said:
Showtime seemed pointless, I only did what I had to to advance my license.

I didn't play previous burnout games, so have no familiarity with crash mode and might also go on to explain how easy it is for me to enjoy burnout paradise for what it is instead of what it isn't.

That said, more things to do is more things to do and people seemed to like crash mode.

showtime was fun to just watch cars fly, and I didn't really miss crash mode that much.

what i really want is saved replays ala Revenge 360, but thats probably not going to happen.

dk_ said:
Thx

I've sold my 360 copy ages ago and I'm missing PC. Are the bikes fun?
They are pretty good. It's fast as hell, and the handling is awesome. But it really lacks challenges though. Bikes have their own road rules, but it desperately needs events.

ElyrionX

Returners said:
It just seems to me that the reason that you LIKE MC:LA is because OF the retry option. And sure you can recommend a game to the fellow peers. Your constant harping of a IYO "flawed" decision on Criterion's part is NOT considered a flaw because of all the other factors Criterion made the game.

So that means you think I would like every shitty open-world racer out there simply because they have a retry option? :lol You either need to learn to read better or to stop jumping to conclusions.

Agent X

The bikes are great fun. There isn't much in the way of single-player events--some point-to-point races ("Burning Rides" during the daytime, and "Midnight Rides" during the nighttime), and race time Road Rules (separate for day and night). However, if you play online, you'll find there's a nice variety of multiplayer challenges as well.

Returners

ElyrionX said:
So that means you think I would like every shitty open-world racer out there simply because they have a retry option? :lol You either need to learn to read better or to stop jumping to conclusions.

I didn't say that. You have to learn to read AND stop jumping to conclusions too. It would be funny though if you recommend NFS:Undercover :lol

And finally, this is the Burnout thread, keep MC:LA/personal attacks out of this discussion.

and seriously, kudos for posting that "recommendation"/flamebait thread.

akenatone

why do people defend the game like they worked on it? it's just a game. i played the hell out of the last 3 burnouts; and after buying the last one, i too was frustrated by the lack of a retry and gave my copy to a friend who enjoyed it nonetheless.
it's a preference, don't make it personal.

Haunted

Ultimate Box comes out next month - I'm pretty stoked. It's still listed as "February" afaik, hope we get a precise day/date soon.

ElyrionX

Returners said:
I didn't say that. You have to learn to read AND stop jumping to conclusions too. It would be funny though if you recommend NFS:Undercover :lol

And finally, this is the Burnout thread, keep MC:LA/personal attacks out of this discussion.

and seriously, kudos for posting that "recommendation"/flamebait thread.

It wasn't meant to be flamebait and I really didn't wish for it to be closed. I really think that MC:LA was seriously overlooked by the hardcore gamers in general and the fact that it didn't even rank in GAF's Top 5 racing games of the year is a real shame. I just want the game to sell more and reach a wider audience (because it deserves it) and posting an attention-grabbing thread title would have attracted far more GAF users into the thread than anything else. It's too bad that the state of the forum/fanboy wars on the internet have reduced that thread to nothing more than "flamebait" and "stirring the shitpot".

Personally, I didn't even rank MC:LA in my own top ten when I voted because I had yet to play it at that point of time. I think I ranked Burnout Paradise #8 or #9. Even if you don't think that MC:LA is better than BO, I would think that at the very least, it isn't far behind and certainly close enough to be in GAF's Top 5 racing games of the year if everyone who voted had played the game.

jett

D-Member
AlphaTwo00 said:
They are pretty good. It's fast as hell, and the handling is awesome. But it really lacks challenges though. Bikes have their own road rules, but it desperately needs events.

The bikes feel great...but they seem like a waste. Why can't we race them? All you can do with them are time trials...

jett said:
The bikes feel great...but they seem like a waste. Why can't we race them? All you can do with them are time trials...
Yup. I'm still hoping that the secret update, or the new island will add something to it.

Holy crap! Last night I just felt the need to pop in the disc and give it a try after having the game for a few months. At first it annoyed me losing a race because I took the wrong side street. pissed me off you have to keep going into select screen to see the map.

After awhile though I just started having fun driving around, finding random stuff to do. Once I discovered the other modes I played a good 3 hours. I love crashing and seeing it all in slo mo. Im sure itll get old by the end of the game though.

I'm trying to get some of the online trophies and I'm confused on how to enter some of the matches. I want to do an Online Stunt Run, Online Marked Man, Online Road Rage and I want to send a mugshot but don't have a camera. If anyone can help me figure this shit out I'd appreciate it

Aladuf

Banned
bdizzle said:
I'm trying to get some of the online trophies and I'm confused on how to enter some of the matches. I want to do an Online Stunt Run, Online Marked Man, Online Road Rage and I want to send a mugshot but don't have a camera. If anyone can help me figure this shit out I'd appreciate it
I did these kind of recently, you have to look around for "Create Event" (It's in there when you press right on the d-pad) and all of the event types will be there. As for the mugshot with the camera, you're out of luck. I don't have a camera either so I'm without it.

Also, I need the trophy for an 8 person meet up in the Wildcats Stadium if any of you guys on here still need it. I'd go into a random match but that seems hopeless. If anybody wants to try and get 8 people together for it, just post here I guess. I'm so close to that Platinum. :D

crispyben

Aladuf said:
I did these kind of recently, you have to look around for "Create Event" (It's in there when you press right on the d-pad) and all of the event types will be there. As for the mugshot with the camera, you're out of luck. I don't have a camera either so I'm without it.
To do that, you need to host the game... Otherwise, just check the list of available games for a game that does what you need. I recommend doing this with friends, it's easier. For the mugshot, it seems you need a PS Eye or an Eye Toy :(

Aladuf said:
Also, I need the trophy for an 8 person meet up in the Wildcats Stadium if any of you guys on here still need it. I'd go into a random match but that seems hopeless. If anybody wants to try and get 8 people together for it, just post here I guess. I'm so close to that Platinum. :D
I got it by joining 7-player games and asking nicely to the host, but it was after a long series of failure... Otherwise you can host a game and build a party with nice players who don't spend their time taking down the others :p

crispyben said:
To do that, you need to host the game... Otherwise, just check the list of available games for a game that does what you need. I recommend doing this with friends, it's easier. For the mugshot, it seems you need a PS Eye or an Eye Toy :(

that's stupid as hell. so i gotta buy a damn camera to get a plat trophy?

my god this game is good...

QUESTION:

i'm playing my second play through to get a platinum throphy. I'm did the 10 time challenges trophy and someting strange happened: a friend of mine got the trophy, but i didn't.....

how is that possible?...

Agent X

Always-honest said:
my god this game is good...

QUESTION:

i'm playing my second play through to get a platinum throphy. I'm did the 10 time challenges trophy and someting strange happened: a friend of mine got the trophy, but i didn't.....

how is that possible?...

From what I have read, there is a bug where if you do the bike challenges first (before doing the 10 timed challenges), then you cannot earn the trophy for 10 timed challenges. If this has affected you, then you'll have to start your game over from the beginning again in order to get the 10 timed challenges trophy.

h3ro

I'm back in the States... and I'm ready to get my Burnout on. Let's rock.

I literally just got back from the airport and the first thing I checked was GAF... what does this all mean?

Aladuf said:

Same here. Whoever wants to get or contribute to that trophy, just make a room and post your PSN ID here so that we know what room to join. And kick out anyone who doesn't seem to want to get in the stadium.

Agent X said:
From what I have read, there is a bug where if you do the bike challenges first (before doing the 10 timed challenges), then you cannot earn the trophy for 10 timed challenges. If this has affected you, then you'll have to start your game over from the beginning again in order to get the 10 timed challenges trophy.

I heard there was a bug for the 10 Time road rules, not 10 timed challenges. However I got all of the bike trophies and still not the gold 10 timed challenges, so I can't tell about myself.

crispyben

bdizzle said:
So i gotta buy a damn camera to get a plat trophy?
That, or borrow one from a friend. No way around it, and I don't recommend trying to move your save to another console to get this trophy... There have been horror stories.

bdizzle said:
It seems that if your tenth timed challenge happens to be a bike challenge, you don't get the trophy. The solution is to back up your save and start a new game, get the trophy, then copy back your old save, et voilà!

Top Bottom