• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

How are you guys enjoying this game?

Every time I have to restart a race I wonder why I'm not just playing a more elegant game like Revenge.

Did they patch this and I wasn't aware?

r4z4

In Paradise City hanging out in the Wildcats stadium if anyone wants to jump in and help out with the trophy, PSN= r_4_z_4.

Digital Limit said:
How are you guys enjoying this game?

Every time I have to restart a race I wonder why I'm not just playing a more elegant game like Revenge.

Did they patch this and I wasn't aware?
Thank you for meeting our one bitch post per page quota.

The new version that is coming next month will have restart. No idea whether that will be patched in for existing version at this point.

Oh, and as for the slight nod at Revenge: doesn't the load times for reloading a race in Revenge on the 360 usually take longer than the race itself. I know my memory's hazy from so long, but that's what I remembered.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Oh, and as for the slight nod at Revenge: doesn't the load times for reloading a race in Revenge on the 360 usually take longer than the race itself. I know my memory's hazy from so long, but that's what I remembered.

Load times were long enough and there were plenty of them. That's one thing I don't miss in Burnout Paradise.

One thing I *do* miss is being able to turn your wreck into a mini nuclear blast. That never got old.

NullPointer said:
Load times were long enough and there were plenty of them. That's one thing I don't miss in Burnout Paradise.

One thing I *do* miss is being able to turn your wreck into a mini nuclear blast. That never got old.
Ah yes. Crashbreakers. I would pay money for those types of events again.

You hear that Criterion? That better be your Jan16th's announcement! :lol

gdt

I just picked this up for the 360 and I was wondering

How is the online community?

And can I get a rundown of the free (and pay) DLC and what they do?

Aladuf

Banned
gdt5016 said:
I just picked this up for the 360 and I was wondering

How is the online community?

And can I get a rundown of the free (and pay) DLC and what they do?
I'm not sure how the 360 community is, but I do recall some people saying recently that it's still alive and well. With the PS3 version, you can find tons of online lobbies with ease.

There has been no "actual" DLC so far, they've just overhauled the game with a few free patches. But the first actual DLC will be the Island which is coming in February, iirc. What the updates have done is: add bikes, add a day/night cycle, hundreds of new online challenges, and a few new cars. I'm pretty sure that's all that has been added but I may have forgot something.

Fredescu

I just started on this and am loving it so far. Up to B license. I remember loving the demo so I don't why I took so long to play it.

Aladuf

Banned
Volcynika said:
Someone should send me a webcam so I can get the last trophy! :lol

Maybe I'll just ask for one for my birthday
I needed one too but then I went to Gamestop to check for one and turns out they sell the PS2 Eyetoy camera for only $5 used which was good enough for me. Me and my buddy both used it to get our trophies and then the Platinum later on that day.

Aladuf said:
I'm not sure how the 360 community is, but I do recall some people saying recently that it's still alive and well. With the PS3 version, you can find tons of online lobbies with ease.

There has been no "actual" DLC so far, they've just overhauled the game with a few free patches. But the first actual DLC will be the Island which is coming in February, iirc. What the updates have done is: add bikes, add a day/night cycle, hundreds of new online challenges, and a few new cars. I'm pretty sure that's all that has been added but I may have forgot something.
The 360 community is definitely alive and well.

Rundown:
Tons of patches
Trophy Patch (PS3)
Online Events
Day/Night/Weather
Bikes
Online cars (3 iirc)

Upcoming Pay Content:
Party Mode
4 "Legendary Cars"
9 "Toy Cars"
2 Special Boost Cars
New Island
TBA (Jan 16th)

Upcoming patch (to be included in Ultimate Box)?:
New Car Physics (earlier cars to be rebalanced)
Restart

Xav

Felix Lighter said:
What's this party mode?
Basically multi-player hot seat where players take turns to complete challenges. It's pretty cool but no where near as good as it should be due to the lack of Crash mode.

Shearie

AlphaTwo00 said:
New Car Physics (earlier cars to be rebalanced)

When did Criterion ever say they were going to do this? All they've ever said was that the 2 new boost special cars are going to have a unique boost mechanic and physics engine compared to previous cars, not that they were going to re-balance the physics of every car in the game.

Everdred

Which is the best version at this point? (PS3, 360 or PC when it comes) I had 360 version when it originally released. Is it worth waiting for the rerelease?

strange_booj said:
Is it worth waiting for the rerelease?

Not really, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the re-release just contains all of the free DLC, it doesn't contain any of the upcoming paid DLC so all it's really saving you is the time it takes to download the free updates.

crispyben

Bootaaay said:
Not really, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the re-release just contains all of the free DLC, it doesn't contain any of the upcoming paid DLC so all it's really saving you is the time it takes to download the free updates.
The Ultimate Box contains all the free GCC, the Party Pack DLC and the retry option.

Shearie said:
When did Criterion ever say they were going to do this? All they've ever said was that the 2 new boost special cars are going to have a unique boost mechanic and physics engine compared to previous cars, not that they were going to re-balance the physics of every car in the game.
I do believe it was in one of the podcasts where it was talked about when they were talking about the two special cars. It was either that, or in relation to the PC release, and using current in-game stats and seeing how players choose events and adapting and re balancing it. I'll see if I can find it today. I swear I'm not hearing things.

The amount of new info and hints that they only drop on the podcast (like Retry) is a damn good incentive to watch it.

rass

I just got this about 10 days ago and im loving it! however... sorry for the noob question, how does one achieve "a boost chain of x2"? (or x4 for that matter) i dont understand how and its making me feel like an idiot :(

Returners

iam.rass said:
I just got this about 10 days ago and im loving it! however... sorry for the noob question, how does one achieve "a boost chain of x2"? (or x4 for that matter) i dont understand how and its making me feel like an idiot :(

Speed class only. Fill up your boost bar and use it all at once (and you need to be doing some drifts, oncoming etc during that boosting period)

rass

Returners said:
Speed class only. Fill up your boost bar and use it all at once (and you need to be doing some drifts, oncoming etc during that boosting period)
haha thankyou, i didnt even realise i hadnt tried the speed class yet:lol

nightez

Banned
I just played the demo for Paradise and the demo for Revenge. In my opinion Revenge is much faster and way more intense than Paradise. Why did they get rid of all the speed, all the crazy particle effects in Burnout Paradise? They really toned down the gameplay!

Everdred

nightez said:
I just played the demo for Paradise and the demo for Revenge. In my opinion Revenge is much faster and way more intense than Paradise. Why did they get rid of all the speed, all the crazy particle effects in Burnout Paradise? They really toned down the gameplay!

Hmm, maybe I'll get Revenge instead. Hows the community for that game, anyone know?

vermadas

nightez said:

I never played the demo for Revenge, but the one for Paradise is pretty bad. Don't judge the speed of the game by the crappy car they give you in the demo. There are lots of things you can complain about with Paradise but the speed and graphics aren't among them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
strange_booj said:
Hmm, maybe I'll get Revenge instead. Hows the community for that game, anyone know?
Not like BP, and they made all the right changes to Burnout when they made Paradise but get what you want.

nightez said:

Revenge's demo gave you cars that are midrange. Paradise had the two shittiest cars.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
LiquidMetal14 said:
Not like BP, and they made all the right changes to Burnout when they made Paradise but get what you want.

Paradise is not making the right changes, it it a complete revamp. I still like how 1/2/3/Revenge play though.

Mohonky

Felix Lighter said:
That damn demo turned off so many people. Buy the game people!

I did. Twice. The second purchase just reaffirmed my belief the games structure is fucked.

Really enjoyed 2/ Takedown / Revenge on the original Xbox but Paradise's shift to an open city just ruined it. Too much time spent looking at the mini-map rather than the road, too many races lost due to making a wrong turn or just not knowing where the finishing point is and some of the vehicle handling just feels wrong when in the twisty sections as it's often faster to ride the guard rails than actually try and stay on the track.

There was nothing wrong with the original formula, introducing the open city format just leads to utter frustration.

Mohonky said:
Too much time spent looking at the mini-map rather than the road, too many races lost due to making a wrong turn or just not knowing where the finishing point

That's the toughest thing to get used to. You don't look at the map when racing, EVER. You use the blink street signs and your turn signal to navigate your way through the race. There are audio cues as well. It's all done using your peripheral vision; you never take your eye off the road. It becomes second nature but you first have to realize that using the map is wrong. The map is used to find events but it won't really help you in a race.

I think once people learn how to properly navigate a race, they fall in love with this game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Felix Lighter said:
blink street signs and your turn signal to navigate your way through the race. There are audio cues as well.

Could you describe this a bit more? I rented the game and don't really remember these... knowing about these in a bit more detail might increase my interest in permanently picking this title up.

Awesome Felix avatar by the way.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Paradise is my "comfort" game at the moment. I come back to it when I just need to unwind. It's so, so awesome.

shpankey

not an idiot
Hated Revenge but I absolutely LOVE Paradise City. As far as speed goes, upgrade your cars. They even have formula one cars. You can have all the speed you want.

DarienA said:
Could you describe this a bit more? I rented the game and don't really remember these... knowing about these in a bit more detail might increase my interest in permanently picking this title up.

Awesome Felix avatar by the way.

At the top of the screen there is a street sign with the name of the street you are currently on. As you approach an intersection, 2 more streets signs will appear to the left and right of that sign. If you should turn at the intersection, the street sign in the direction you should turn will blink, along with your turn signal and you will hear a turn signal clicking sound. At first it takes some getting used to but once you get it, it almost becomes a reflex.

... and Thanks.

Threi

notag
Rez>You said:
Paradise is my "comfort" game at the moment. I come back to it when I just need to unwind. It's so, so awesome.
agreed. It's not the best game in the world any way you slice it, I would probably rate it a 7 if i had to, but goddamnit its so addicting :lol

That being said it would probably be in the trash bin if there wasn't an option for custom soundtracks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Threi said:
agreed. It's not the best game in the world any way you slice it, I would probably rate it a 7 if i had to, but goddamnit its so addicting :lol

That being said it would probably be in the trash bin if there wasn't an option for custom soundtracks.
Does the PS3 version have custom soundtracks? Because if it does I haven't worked it out yet.

I usually listen to some music or a podcast through my iPhone. :lol

Top Bottom