• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

dk_

McLovin said:
edit- When you get near the end of collecting all the gates and missing events take your save file and upload it to criterion. They'll give you a map with everything your missing.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Searched my ass off in the 360 version.

AlphaTwo00 said:
They've denied they are working on Black 2, but I don't quite buy it.

Alex said their next game wouldn't be a racing game or FPS. Obviously things could've changed since then, but that was the last time they really discussed their next game.

Aladuf

Banned
What I'll never get with everybody who has an issue with no retry is why is it you HAVE to do the certain race that you failed? There are 120 events at every stop light in the game and at most times you'll be right near one, so why not just start up that event? Worst case, when you finish or fail a race you'll be in the mountains and have to drive a mile or 2 towards the Dam or the city to get back to the bulk of the events but that's not shouldn't be some long, annoying trip back, about 1-2 minutes tops. Plus, I have a hard time believing that anyone who bitches about no retry has actually stuck with the game long enough and is actually going for their Burnout Elite license and only has a couple of races left so they'd have to drive all the way back to one specific area.

Ploid 3.0

Aladuf said:
What I'll never get with everybody who has an issue with no retry is why is it you HAVE to do the certain race that you failed? There are 120 events at every stop light in the game and at most times you'll be right near one, so why not just start up that event? Worst case, when you finish or fail a race you'll be in the mountains and have to drive a mile or 2 towards the Dam or the city to get back to the bulk of the events but that's not shouldn't be some long, annoying trip back, about 1-2 minutes tops. Plus, I have a hard time believing that anyone who bitches about no retry has actually stuck with the game long enough and is actually going for their Burnout Elite license and only has a couple of races left so they'd have to drive all the way back to one specific area.

When I start to run out of races I can't avoid taking long trips to the starting line of any race that I can do which isn't already won by me. They don't all stay open and I'm just using races as an example. I avoid stunts like the plague. I really hate stunt challenges at the point I'm at. They all require too many points and I don't feel like finding trick spots. I stick to race type events.

Aladuf

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
When I start to run out of races I can't avoid taking long trips to the starting line of any race that I can do which isn't already won by me. They don't all stay open and I'm just using races as an example. I avoid stunts like the plague. I really hate stunt challenges at the point I'm at. They all require too many points and I don't feel like finding trick spots. I stick to race type events.
I gotcha there, I've been playing this game pretty consistently since it came out last year and I could probably count on one hand the amount of Stunt runs I've done and actually completed. :lol

McLovin

AlphaTwo00 said:
Not everyone is on the PS3, and the 360 version has no such option.
I thought they added that to the 360 version later. I guess I was wrong.. but man that sucks.. those last ones are really annoying. Even if you get a map theirs no way to remember which ones you got already.

McLovin said:
I thought they added that to the 360 version later. I guess I was wrong.. but man that sucks.. those last ones are really annoying. Even if you get a map theirs no way to remember which ones you got already.
The way they did it was loading the PS3 save onto to any memory device, and uploading that save file to their app. There's no such way to do that on the 360.

Snowden

Banned
cjelly said:
3202106341_a037ff8972_o.jpg
terribly ugly compared to the current box art

not that it matters but yigh

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dante said:
Gratz...I just deleted my save file and am ready to take a stab at the trophies :D

If you need a hand with challenges or anything, then feel free to add me to your friends list.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm thinking about getting this game (it's kind of hard to resist at $20) and have a few questions.
1. Is there a hud (speedometer/map/etc.) in the game? It's not really a huge deal, but I have a plasma tv and burn in is an issue. I've also been spoiled by games without it. I love having the whole screen show off the game.
2. Is it correct that the game is about to be $20 on PSN?
3. What happens if your hard drive gets corrupted? Is there a way to redownload the game as long as you are signed in to your account?
4. How much space does the downloadable game take up on the HDD?
5. How is the framerate on the PS3 version? I'm more concerned that it's stable than if it's 30 or 60 fps.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm thinking about getting this game (it's kind of hard to resist at $20) and have a few questions.
1. Is there a hud (speedometer/map/etc.) in the game? It's not really a huge deal, but I have a plasma tv and burn in is an issue. I've also been spoiled by games without it. I love having the whole screen show off the game.
2. Is it correct that the game is about to be $20 on PSN?
3. What happens if your hard drive gets corrupted? Is there a way to redownload the game as long as you are signed in to your account?
4. How much space does the downloadable game take up on the HDD?
5. How is the framerate on the PS3 version? I'm more concerned that it's stable than if it's 30 or 60 fps.

1. Yes, a map.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. I want to say 2-4 GB but I forget.
5. Put in over 50 hours, haven't experienced frame rate drop once.

MadOdorMachine said:
Is there an option to take the map off? I forgot to ask if there is a boost meter as well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see the demo on PSN anymore. Was it taken down?
Possibly. The online servers for the demo was closed after March of last year.

Aladuf said:
I gotcha there, I've been playing this game pretty consistently since it came out last year and I could probably count on one hand the amount of Stunt runs I've done and actually completed. :lol

Stunt runs are very much a matter of being in the right place and knowing where things are. If I'm in an area where I know where I few relatively large jumps are (i.e., the mountain road near the windmills that has the shortcut all the way to the bottom), getting massive amounts of points are no problem. Just driving around trying to get points, though, is a huge pain.

crispyben

MadOdorMachine said:
Is there an option to take the map off? I forgot to ask if there is a boost meter as well.
Why would you do that? I mean game-wise, not screen-wise. Paradise City is a huge area to navigate, and the mini-map is VERY useful for the first 20 to 40 hours in the game... There is a boost meter, of course, this is Burnout! If you're worried about burn-in, know that the street name is always displayed at the top of the screen in the same box.

Peronthious said:
Stunt runs are very much a matter of being in the right place and knowing where things are. If I'm in an area where I know where I few relatively large jumps are (i.e., the mountain road near the windmills that has the shortcut all the way to the bottom), getting massive amounts of points are no problem. Just driving around trying to get points, though, is a huge pain.
My tactic for stunt run consist of a few key areas, the jump off the quarry, the south bridge, the damn, and the port area, and the northern beach area. Pretty much anywhere a stunt run was, head towards one of those directions and string them up. To maintain the counter, remember to use e-brake and reverse driving, it's critical to keep the combo going.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
My tactic for stunt run consist of a few key areas, the jump off the quarry, the south bridge, the damn, and the port area, and the northern beach area. Pretty much anywhere a stunt run was, head towards one of those directions and string them up. To maintain the counter, remember to use e-brake and reverse driving, it's critical to keep the combo going.
And boosting too!!!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
crispyben said:
Why would you do that? I mean game-wise, not screen-wise. Paradise City is a huge area to navigate, and the mini-map is VERY useful for the first 20 to 40 hours in the game... There is a boost meter, of course, this is Burnout! If you're worried about burn-in, know that the street name is always displayed at the top of the screen in the same box.
Yeah, I don't know about this game. I know you need the map because it's an open world, but the only game I've played like that (NFS:MW) I didn't like. It's just tempting at $20 or less at GameStop. I just figured there would be other ways of knowing where to go like pausing the game and looking at the map. As far a boost goes, it's been a while since I've played a Burnout game, but maybe they could replace the boost meter with a noise or some type of flash telling you your meter is full/empty.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok GAF so if I'm ready to buy this game. Is there a reason for/against buying the boxed version vs. the downloadable version?

Just curious does the downloadable version have online viewable manuals or anything? That won't affect my purchase decision, just curious.

Mar

AlphaTwo00 said:

Like Crispyben said. Boost is good. You can pretty much get anywhere on the map with one boost bar because all you need to do is tap it to refill the combo timer. Meaning, as long as you don't crash, you have infinite time to complete the stunt run.

DarienA said:
Ok GAF so if I'm ready to buy this game. Is there a reason for/against buying the boxed version vs. the downloadable version?
None. It's exactly the same game.

Just curious does the downloadable version have online viewable manuals or anything? That won't affect my purchase decision, just curious.

The game is self-explanatory and the controls are simple. Any doubt you have, just ask here.

Aladuf

Banned
DarienA said:

The PSN version is really convenient like the person above said, it's nice to have the game on your HDD just ready to go whenever. When I downloaded the PSN version, I think it said something about going to Criterion's website or something for a manual so you might want to read the games description in the PSN Store.

The benefits to the disc based version are also the same as the poster above said, you have something to physically have and do what you want with.

On a side note, I decided to use a few bucks of Gamestop credit and buy another new copy of Burnout PS3 again today. I figured, it's 1 year later after it came out and why not support them again. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unregistered007 said:
I am thinking of buying it again, I already have the ps3 version, should I buy the PSN or the 360 version ?
WAT

birdman

Aladuf said:
On a side note, I decided to use a few bucks of Gamestop credit and buy another new copy of Burnout PS3 again today. I figured, it's 1 year later after it came out and why not support them again. :D

You're a weird dude.

Aladuf

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
I am thinking of buying it again, I already have the ps3 version, should I buy the PSN or the 360 version ?
PSN version ftw.
not trying to knock the 360 version, just sayin'
birdman said:
You're a weird dude.
sdlkfjsd;lfkjsd;lfkjsdl;fkjsdl;kfjs

Will you EVER check your PM's, bird? >:O

crispyben

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah, I don't know about this game. I know you need the map because it's an open world, but the only game I've played like that (NFS:MW) I didn't like. It's just tempting at $20 or less at GameStop. I just figured there would be other ways of knowing where to go like pausing the game and looking at the map. As far a boost goes, it's been a while since I've played a Burnout game, but maybe they could replace the boost meter with a noise or some type of flash telling you your meter is full/empty.
You can pause and look at the whole map, but it'll likely take you out of the focus you had built and make you miss the next corner... As for the boost meter, it would be much harder to manage in the way you suggest.

jmoe316

Am I blind or did Criterion never announce new DLC last friday (Jan 16). It says on there website that they were going to announce new stuff and to check the main page for the news, but I am not seeing anything new.

Help?

Returners

Mar_ said:
Like Crispyben said. Boost is good. You can pretty much get anywhere on the map with one boost bar because all you need to do is tap it to refill the combo timer. Meaning, as long as you don't crash, you have infinite time to complete the stunt run.

this. And Flatspin off huge ramps for reverse air points (which are more then regular air points)

jmoe316 said:
Am I blind or did Criterion never announce new DLC last friday (Jan 16). It says on there website that they were going to announce new stuff and to check the main page for the news, but I am not seeing anything new.

Help?

Yeah I don't see anything either. I certainly hope its not the release date announcement.

$20 on PSN? That's the same price as Wipeout HD which sells on the UK Playstation store for around £12, isn't it?

How much is Burnout Paradise right now on the UK store? (if it's even available there)

XTERC

Does anyone know if you can share the PSN version of Paradise? I've had the game since release but I'd like to gift it to my brother. If not I guess I could send him the Blu-Ray version.

shpankey

not an idiot
Unregistered007 said:
Don't buy it on the same system, that wouldn't make sense.

I'm going to buy the 360 ultimate version when it comes out though. So I can play it in the bedroom too. I already have the PS3 version (from PSN).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
crispyben said:
You can pause and look at the whole map, but it'll likely take you out of the focus you had built and make you miss the next corner... As for the boost meter, it would be much harder to manage in the way you suggest.
They should at least give you the option of turning down the opacity of the hud though. I think all games should have this along with fully customizable controls. Speaking of controls. Do you have to hold down the right shoulder to accelerate or is there an option to use the X/A button on PS3/360? I'm also curious if you purchase a game over PSN, do they charge you tax or is it straight up $20?

Returners

MadOdorMachine said:
They should at least give you the option of turning down the opacity of the hud though. I think all games should have this along with fully customizable controls. Speaking of controls. Do you have to hold down the right shoulder to accelerate or is there an option to use the X/A button on PS3/360? I'm also curious if you purchase a game over PSN, do they charge you tax or is it straight up $20?

No option to use X/A.

19.99+tax. (though not yet on PSN, still 29.99)

Aladuf

Banned
Returners said:
No option to use X/A.

19.99+tax. (though not yet on PSN, still 29.99)
My guess is paying tax for PSN games varies with where you are. I never pay tax for any games off of there.

MoxManiac

So as I understand it, for North America the ultimate box is PC exclusive? I was kinda hoping I could get the ultimate box and not have to download gigs of addons, but I guess i'll have no choice but to get the original.

Aladuf

Banned
MoxManiac said:
So as I understand it, for North America the ultimate box is PC exclusive? I was kinda hoping I could get the ultimate box and not have to download gigs of addons, but I guess i'll have no choice but to get the original.
Yep, it's PC exclusive in NA. I don't think the updates are really that big though, but I don't exactly remember. All of the stuff right now is quite a bit less than 1 gig I believe.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well I went ahead and took the plunge and picked the game up on disc. I knew going in that I'm not a fan of open world racers, but I was hoping this game would change my opinion. I think the update on February 5th will fix the biggest problem (which is people not knowing where to go) but so far aside from the brilliant graphics I'm pretty disappointed. Some of the events won't let me start - I guess I need another car? I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in stunt mode and in the few races I've actually found myself in, I had no idea where to go. There are no arrows pointing you in the right direction. There were times when I was driving and I suddenly hit a T-intersection where I had to turn left or right and crashed - as a matter of fact it seems like I'm crashing at least once every minute or two. Other times I would find myself heading completely in the wrong direction with no "Wrong Way" indicator. I think one of the reasons I'm crashing so much is because the game encourages you to boost and look at the map instead of the road and the roads are treacherous. So far, most of my time has been driving around the city trying to find events. It would be nice if they at least gave people an objective - tell them what they need to do and where they need to go to progress in the game. I'm not saying the player can't choose to do something else, but there's no direction at all. Another option would be to have a set-up similar to NFS:MW where you could select the race you wanted to start from the menu/map. All in all though, I think Criterion made an ambitous effort, but the game might be too open.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Best way to avoid paying tax on PSN is to set up an account where you dont get taxed by PSN and purchase PSN cards in store. But I heard some people get taxed on PSN cards in stores too, which would be BS since that's double taxing.

birdman

Wario64 said:
Best way to avoid paying tax on PSN is to set up an account where you dont get taxed by PSN and purchase PSN cards in store. But I heard some people get taxed on PSN cards in stores too, which would be BS since that's double taxing.

Well, technically that's two separate purchases.

Top Bottom