• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

cjelly said:
I'm not sure why the Ultimate Box is coming out now, as they've still got a ton of DLC coming soon according to their site. :-/
Their reasoning behind the Ultimate Box seems to be to make all free GCC available on disk (for non-online users), and they threw in the first DLC as a bonus/incentive. Surely there will be an Ultimater Box once they're done developping DLC :D

h3ro

Costanza said:
Amazon isn't shipping for up to 3 weeks and all the Best Buys near me are sold out. Should Walmart/Target have adjusted the price as well?

They should by now... I just checked Target.com and they're sold out online but both versions were available at all the Targets around me here in NY. Price wasn't listed though, if you can find a circular or advert with the $20, then you should have no problem getting them to price match... or you could just wait for the drop on the PSN version and be able to boot it whenever you want.

Also, it seems the shipping delay on Amazon is only for the 360 version. If you buy it from one of other sellers on Amazon, there shouldn't be a delay, but you'll have to pay for shipping.

plagiarize said:
sounded like they've just been done to make it more accessible. it makes the lower end stuff easier, but doesn't change the higher end stuff.
And I totally respect that. I wonder though, unless there is a marketing and a promotional push, this work might go unnoticed if the $19.99 push enough sales.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
AlphaTwo00 said:
And I totally respect that. I wonder though, unless there is a marketing and a promotional push, this work might go unnoticed if the $19.99 push enough sales.
No, it's probably not. A new SKU works infinitely better towards getting retailers to restock. That's why they're releasing The Ultimate Box.

So is ANYONE going to buy the party pack? To me it sounds like the online challenges in offline which seems like a terrible idea. Playing online means you're playing with people who bought the game, who would be up for trying to do tricks and stunt challenges. My friends play Mario Kart and the old crash mode from the Burnout games, I doubt I (or anyone else) can get casuals to play this.

crispyben

Shig said:
No, it's probably not. A new SKU works infinitely better towards getting retailers to restock. That's why they're releasing The Ultimate Box.
I think AlphaTwo00 was saying that people buying the game at its new pricepoint might be unaware of the tweaks, not that they wouldn't be enough to make the game sell... Did I get that right?

Shig said:
Not for NA on PS3/360.

crispyben said:
I think AlphaTwo00 was saying that people buying the game at its new pricepoint might be unaware of the tweaks, not that they wouldn't be enough to make the game sell... Did I get that right?
Something like that. A price drop won't land your game on the "key shelf" at EB games, and where visibility in a store becomes important, this "improve/hey we have retry" for casuals/newcomers won't show through.

Returners

robut said:
So is ANYONE going to buy the party pack? To me it sounds like the online challenges in offline which seems like a terrible idea. Playing online means you're playing with people who bought the game, who would be up for trying to do tricks and stunt challenges. My friends play Mario Kart and the old crash mode from the Burnout games, I doubt I (or anyone else) can get casuals to play this.

Well, what if you have friends at your place and want to play some burnout...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Criterion--you're unbelievable. Best developer yet--keep it coming!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That is a stunning update. RESTART, something I could care less for but wouldn't mind, it's in. AMAZING WORK Criterion!

Now what do all the haters who always bring the restart option in have to say now?

And Costanza, how could you sell this game? I know you buy a decent amount of product but this one should be on the "keeper" pile.

Volcynika

LiquidMetal14 said:
That is a stunning update. RESTART, something I could care less for but wouldn't mind, it's in. AMAZING WORK Criterion!

Now what do all the haters who always bring the restart option in have to say now?

They better all say "I'm now going to buy it!"

Seriously, everyone who complained that they wouldn't buy the game since it had no restart have no excuse. :p

Aladuf

Banned
That is a biiiiiiiiig ass update, I can't wait for it to go live in a couple of weeks. After that, BRING ME THAT ISLAND!!11!! >:O

Struct09

Awesome update. Got my Burnout license long ago, but stopped playing due to being frustrated about no restart.

Time to jump back in!!

epmode

COULDN'T care less. Jesus Christ, people.

caringcontinuum.gif

(I'm finally going to buy this when the patch hits. Restart <3<3)

Costanza

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
And Costanza, how could you sell this game? I know you buy a decent amount of product but this one should be on the "keeper" pile.
I sold it waaaaay before the DLC started coming out.

anyway Target had the 360 version for $19.99 just now so I got it.

edit: wtf apparently I also have the PSN version but I don't remember someone sharing it with me.

Agent X

This sounds like a substantial update. It's too bad that they're tweaking Road Rage so that time is no longer added when you pass the target number of takedowns. I liked racking up huge numbers of takedowns. :D Aside from that, the various other tweaks should help out a lot of players (especially novices), and the restart option is a welcome addition which proves Criterion listens to their fans.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
jett said:
The visual tweaks should change things up a bit. And I hope they removed the fog. :p
Hopefully the visibility at night is substantially improved. It was practically useless before.

shpankey

not an idiot
fuck racing game of the year, this is quickly becoming racing game of the decade.

Criterion really knows how to please its fans. fukin A. :D

HoTHiTTeR

Played the 360 version so much my thumbs bled.

...but that didn't stop me from picking up the PS3 version at gamestop w/ the coups last night for $13 lol. My PSN is HoTHiTTeR. See you on there. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
jett said:
The visual tweaks should change things up a bit. And I hope they removed the fog. :p
I think if anything the fog should be controlled just like the day/night cycle. The fog always seems to drift in right when I start doing Burning Routes or like last night when I decided to finally complete my Bike License to 100% and I had about 31 Burning Rides and Midnight Rides combined. You have to be precise as hell in those things unlike races, so while I don't usually lose them, I cut some of the routes a bit close for comfort because I can't see shit.

M3Freak

Banned
I don't like how they're making the game more "accessible". Freaking casual gamers are killing everything!

Hopefully the "accessibility" (i.e. easier) isn't as bad as it sounds on paper.

Picked up the PSN version just recently, and want to burn online with some good ppl. I don't have a Bluetooth headset yet, but my SOCOM headset should still work, right? :lol

My PSN name: ParsecParallax

epmode

M3Freak said:
I don't like how they're making the game more "accessible". Freaking casual gamers are killing everything!

Explain how this sounds bad.

Why would making the first few cars easier to drive affect the endgame in any way?

Aladuf

Banned
M3Freak said:

It just makes it easier for people who haven't played Burnout Paradise to get into the game. For people who have been playing for a year now it doesn't seem to be making anything easier for us.

Blast Processing said:
Picked up the PSN version just recently, and want to burn online with some good ppl. I don't have a Bluetooth headset yet, but my SOCOM headset should still work, right? :lol

My PSN name: ParsecParallax
Your SOCOM headset works for everything on the PS3.

The automatic barrel roll does sound a little fishy to me. I always felt that the barrel rolls were just about perfect. They were just challenging enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you landed one but easy enough that you could land them consistently.

Aladuf

Banned
levious said:
I think he meant his old USB Socom headset, which would work fine as well.
Oh riiiiiight, I forgot about that one, I just assumed the new one. And you're right, since it's USB it should work just fine too.

M3Freak

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
The automatic barrel roll does sound a little fishy to me. I always felt that the barrel rolls were just about perfect. They were just challenging enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you landed one but easy enough that you could land them consistently.

Ya, this is what I'm talking about. I don't mind tweaking the first few cars - that's okay. But, some of the other tweaks sound too much like making Burnout more appealing to casual gamers. For example, making smashes, billboards and jumps easier to see/find. They're not that hard to find as is, and it's awesome when you do find them!

I'll hold my final opinion until the patch is applied. But, overall, I'm not happy with how the Wii and the masses of casual gamers are affecting games in general.

woodchuck

yeaaaah, i think i'm going to pick this game up now. played a ton of the last-gen burnout but never tried the new one for some reason.

epmode

M3Freak said:
Ya, this is what I'm talking about. I don't mind tweaking the first few cars - that's okay. But, some of the other tweaks sound like the game has been made easier for casual gamers to get into. For example, making smashes, billboards and jumps easier to see/find.
Making shortcuts VERY visible didn't stop SSX from being one of my favorite racing series ever.

I can't speak about the barrel roll change since I haven't played the game since I tried the restartless demo. ..but it doesn't sound like a big deal at all.

crispyben

I just began watching CrashTV 21, and it shows the Burnout Paradise Time Savers Pack within the in-game store, and it seems to be a "buy all cars" pack, but there's no telling what it encompasses... (though I think I see the Extreme Hot Rod and a WTR)

There's a Legendary Cars pack as expected, with a price of $1, temporary I'm sure.

It also seems to imply that the Dust Storm is bundled with Big Surf Island :D

Some footage indicates 400 smashes, other indicates 500, confirming there are 100 smashes on the island (also 15 Super Jumps and 45 billboards).

Aladuf

Banned
crispyben said:
I just began watching CrashTV 21, and it shows the Burnout Paradise Time Savers Pack within the in-game store, and it seems to be a "buy all cars" pack, but there's no telling what it encompasses... (though I think I see the Extreme Hot Rod and a Toy WTR)

There's a Legendary Cars pack as expected, with a price of $1, temporary I'm sure.

It also seems to imply that the Dust Storm is bundled with Big Surf Island :D

Some footage indicates 400 smashes, other indicates 500, confirming there are 100 smashes on the island (also 15 Super Jumps and 45 billboards).
I just finished watching the episode too and those new versions of the Billboards and Smash gates really pop out at you. I'm a bit excited too for how improved the night time seems to be. It showed a great visual improvement and I hope to try it and like it as much as I originally thought I would before I found out it was a bit too dark.

Seeing how much bonus stuff the Island will bring is awesome. Good catch on those new numbers for all the stuff.

I'm enjoying it so far- I'm still a long ways away from my next license, but the cars are sweet so far. I don't think the tweak is necessary to the starting cars. For a complete novice to the Burnout style, it was still fairly easy to adapt to. Protip- don't slam headfirst into cement walls!

Negatives- it seems like it's almost better to wreck than get a driveaway. I always end up facing the wrong way. Also, if you ever need to back up just a bit and turn, I always feel like I'm pulling teeth.

I'm considering picking this up on the PC when it comes out in a few weeks as I quite liked the 360 demo. Quick question though, will the PC version have the same amount of content as the console versions and will it receive all the future updates?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Its good to see another free update like this. Guess i should go back to recommending to my friends to buy it. I wont forget the "Free"AkA Pay island update though : /

$20 is a impulse buy now really. I dont see why there isnt a ultimate box release for NA. Seems like alot of potential sales that will be lost.

levious said:
I think he meant his old USB Socom headset, which would work fine as well.
That's what I've used in the past, though it was the Logitech version and not the SOCOM version.

I also would like changes to fog. it's just too common. weather? for England, sure.

Shearie

Thing is, landing barrel rolls isn't challenging the way it is right now unless: 1) You're new to the game and you don't know that pressing the opposite direction your car is spinning auto-lands your car. 2) You have a really bad sense of direction and/or you're just really slow so your brain can't compute things fast enough for you to press the stick left when your car is spinning clockwise which makes you a living paradox because how the hall can you play a twitchy, fast-paced game like BP and not be able to land barrel rolls?!

Like I said earlier, the game auto-lands barrel rolls already if you're pressing the stick in the right direction. The car won't stop rolling and freeze in the upside-down position if you press the stick in the right direction too early. The only time people even remotely experienced in the game mess up barrel rolls is: 1) When there isn't enough spin to land a single barrel roll. There's nothing that you could have done to not crash. 2) You decide to chance it and go for that 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) barrel roll but you don't have enough spin to land it. You could have easily made the previous barrel roll but you took a gamble and lost and there was nothing you could do to successfully land the next one.

The new way barrel rolls are going to work isn't really making it easier for any of us experienced BP players to land them. There are only positive effects in my eyes from the change since now beginners who usually just didn't know how to auto-land barrel rolls don't have to worry about it anymore and experienced players who don't have any trouble landing barrel rolls anyway get an unnecessary step taken out of the equation.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Time to get that 100+ takedown achievement for Road Rage before this hits.

Top Bottom