• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

It happens. Natural politics. I'm surprised Colbert took this long to talk about it.

It's not something to laugh about, though. It bothers me how his audience is all "Haha, those cooky ol' white conservatives! When will they ever learn!"

At this point conservatives are almost outright telling us that they don't believe free market capitalism and democracy can coexist (which they probably can't) and we're OK with them sacrificing democracy.

Bazza

I just watched the Monday night episode and im almost in shock in regards to the interview with the guest.

when the guy was talking numbers i had to do a comparison with the numbers from the UK, the US has a population nearly 4.5x that on the UK the us is in the 313mil range the UK around 70mil.

Google tells me the number of homeless in the UK is between 250K and up to 400K take the average of the 2 and you get 325K, the US based on the numbers on the show is 3.5mil and what im struggling to get my head around is the fact you have 10x the number of homeless people.

This isnt a bashing post but im sure some will take it that way and for that im sorry but the numbers that came up in the show really did make me a little sad, its amazingly depressing to see such a powerful nation treat those who desperately need help so badly, the guy being interviewed was pretty positive so hopefully those numbers will increase dramatically, homeless children should never be a statistic anywhere in the world and its seems both the US and UK have some work to do on that front.

I enjoy US politics from a distance for the entertainment value, but this election im genuinely concerned the fact that Obama isnt guaranteed to win, it sends shivers down my spine at the though of Santorum, Romney or Newt in power, i really wish Ron Paul would get the nomination. i know he is slightly crazy but he isnt stupid, he genuinely seems like a good human being.

Obviously this is my view from the outside, between the 2 countries although boring i prefer the UK politicians, the US popularity seems to be one of the most important parts of US vote winning and people vote on who they like the most, education, policy etc seem to be secondary.

In the UK its generally accepted all politicians are corrupt wankers and we hate every single one of them and bitch and moan about every decision they make and (with the exception of the current London Mayor Boris Johnson he went to a private school but still thick as shit) the top level politicians tend to all have a pretty good education, and our voting decision is based on the party's policy's/manifesto and who we dislike least.

I would like a US type structure in the UK swapping out american politians for english counterparts providing lobbying was made illegal and the campaign funding went back to pre-superpac times with maximum individual donations from actual voters. when i look at the US system the fact that lobbying is a legal thing is mindblowing, to me the whole lobbying thing looks like bribe payments to me and it seems to kill the whole policy make process.

Very rarely post on political issues but im a tad drunk and for some reason i needed to type tonight. Quite interesting how a comedy show made me think of all that above, delayed my Game of Thone's boxet opening a little while.

This thought might keep you up at night: Imagine if Rush Limbaugh got the nominee. I wasn't following his recent actions, but Jon caught me up to it. Plus, all these Republican candidates are horrid. I can't muster up an iota of respect for anyone but Ron Paul, who at least isn't a hypocritical lying through his teeth sorta dude.

Bazza

This thought might keep you up at night: Imagine if Rush Limbaugh got the nominee. I wasn't following his recent actions, but Jon caught me up to it. Plus, all these Republican candidates are horrid. I can't muster up an iota of respect for anyone but Ron Paul, who at least isn't a hypocritical lying through his teeth sorta dude.

To be honest i wasn't all that aware who Limbaugh was before his recent comments, but a little research and wow what a cunt, im glad for once that sponsors have the balls to actually un-endorse someone like him. It very rarely happens which is a shame really as i have more respect for a company willing to lose out financially, the fact he is still on the air with his outlook on things mean enough people think exactly like him so i doubt his sponsors would have lost out all that much by sticking with him.

I don't read all the news from the US so i don't know how often it happens, but Americans need to be as persistent and driven as Liverpool Football Club fans, a few years ago a douche bag called Steven Cohen made some pretty scummy comments regarding the hillsborough disaster on World Soccer Daily (US radio show i think?). As soon as LFC fans found out letters were written to sponsors from fans and LFC supporter clubs backed with the facts that came out in a written report, and even though the majority of the letters were from outside the US sponsors pulled out and i think the show was eventually cancelled. although i doubt many of the sponsors had big operations outside the US but because LFC is one of the most supported clubs with millions of fans worldwide the potential loss of business was to much of a risk especially with us we never forget, just ask Rupert Murdoch and The Sun newspaper, the day after the Hillsborough disaster they ran a story saying the LFC fans were looting and pissing on body's (Kelvin Mackenzie whi i think was the editor at the time has never apologised) ever since then the paper has basically died off in a city of half a mil people and every LFC fan who knows the club history.

rambled on a bit but company's need to remember who they are actually selling products to its al right having a speaking head for your product to be associated with but even if they loved your product to death they are still 1 person celebrity or politician, If there was a real public outcry to some of the things that come out the mouths of politicians and TV talkshow people (especially the flat out lies) to not just the networks but the people who pay the networks for advertising time, things need changed within the current political climate, if the system is rigged to be controlled by those with money become as dedicated LFC fans, mass boycotts and combined voices tend to make people selling things take notice.

SolKane

I just watched the Monday night episode and im almost in shock in regards to the interview with the guest.

when the guy was talking numbers i had to do a comparison with the numbers from the UK, the US has a population nearly 4.5x that on the UK the us is in the 313mil range the UK around 70mil.

Google tells me the number of homeless in the UK is between 250K and up to 400K take the average of the 2 and you get 325K, the US based on the numbers on the show is 3.5mil and what im struggling to get my head around is the fact you have 10x the number of homeless people.

This isnt a bashing post but im sure some will take it that way and for that im sorry but the numbers that came up in the show really did make me a little sad, its amazingly depressing to see such a powerful nation treat those who desperately need help so badly, the guy being interviewed was pretty positive so hopefully those numbers will increase dramatically, homeless children should never be a statistic anywhere in the world and its seems both the US and UK have some work to do on that front.

I enjoy US politics from a distance for the entertainment value, but this election im genuinely concerned the fact that Obama isnt guaranteed to win, it sends shivers down my spine at the though of Santorum, Romney or Newt in power, i really wish Ron Paul would get the nomination. i know he is slightly crazy but he isnt stupid, he genuinely seems like a good human being.

Obviously this is my view from the outside, between the 2 countries although boring i prefer the UK politicians, the US popularity seems to be one of the most important parts of US vote winning and people vote on who they like the most, education, policy etc seem to be secondary.

In the UK its generally accepted all politicians are corrupt wankers and we hate every single one of them and bitch and moan about every decision they make and (with the exception of the current London Mayor Boris Johnson he went to a private school but still thick as shit) the top level politicians tend to all have a pretty good education, and our voting decision is based on the party's policy's/manifesto and who we dislike least.

I would like a US type structure in the UK swapping out american politians for english counterparts providing lobbying was made illegal and the campaign funding went back to pre-superpac times with maximum individual donations from actual voters. when i look at the US system the fact that lobbying is a legal thing is mindblowing, to me the whole lobbying thing looks like bribe payments to me and it seems to kill the whole policy make process.

Very rarely post on political issues but im a tad drunk and for some reason i needed to type tonight. Quite interesting how a comedy show made me think of all that above, delayed my Game of Thone's boxet opening a little while.

Honestly homelessness in this country is something that makes me sick to my stomach. I've never heard a national politician ever discuss the issue, either, which I think tells you plenty about their priorities.

newjeruse

Did it bother anyone that when Jon Stewart said, "there's tons of damaging video to Obama...in HD" the subsequent video wasn't in HD?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Actually that's what annoys me. He's not a nerd, and his writers fill his monologues with references to nerd culture and internet memes. It seems really disingenuous.

He may not be extremely nerdy, but it sure seems that he's aware of nerd culture and what surrounds it.

I've never touched World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG, but I'm quite familiar with Leroy Jenkins, the concepts of those games, etc. I don't follow sports either, but I'm still aware of a lot that happens in that world.

Zebra

If you want a nerd, look at Fallon. I think Jon's writers are nerds, but not Jon himself. The Leroy Jenkins bit felt out of place to me.

It's not Jon's nerd cred that matters, it's his commitment to the bit. He obviously rather likes the Leeroy Jenkin's video because otherwise it wouldn't have put him into such a fit of giggles afterwards. No one really needs to be familiar with WoW to find the humor in Leeroy Jenkins.

And this might be all in my head, but haven't I heard him yell out "LEEROY JENKINS!" in the past, but with no context provided? I might be dreaming it up. But I think its something he just personally likes.

Milabrega

New girl showing how unfunny she is. Why have the last few new correspondents been crap?

She's the best recent hire in a long time, though I agree she has a long way to go. Wyatt was a good example of not exactly hitting the ground running but growing into the role developing a familiarity with John and the other correspondents to play off of in the in studio skits. The Munn hire was clearly reactionary to the pressure John was getting from that Woman's group making a PR spurt about the lack of women on the correspondent staff. Munn, like Gad and Madrigal have all treated The Daily Show position not as a career destination to dedicate too but a stepping stone, a resume booster and a launch pad for a career elsewhere. Don't know if this has to do with comedians seeing the careers of Helms, Carrell Colbert and others and pursuing a Daily Show position hoping to do the same or John actively encouraging it so as to not have someone confine themselves to his show but its had a clear impact on the show and skits.

She's the best recent hire in a long time, though I agree she has a long way to go. Wyatt was a good example of not exactly hitting the ground running but growing into the role developing a familiarity with John and the other correspondents to play off of in the in studio skits. The Munn hire was clearly reactionary to the pressure John was getting from that Woman's group making a PR spurt about the lack of women on the correspondent staff. Munn, like Gad and Madrigal have all treated The Daily Show position not as a career destination to dedicate too but a stepping stone, a resume booster and a launch pad for a career elsewhere. Don't know if this has to do with comedians seeing the careers of Helms, Carrell Colbert and others and pursuing a Daily Show position hoping to do the same or John actively encouraging it so as to not have someone confine themselves to his show but its had a clear impact on the show and skits.

I'm still baffled by how Munn got on the show. A part of me doesn't want to believe that she fucked her way onto the show but that's the only logical reason she's on as she's not funny at all.

I do think The Daily Show is trying too hard to fill race/gender niches and isn't hiring based on pure talent. TDS correspondents.

That said, I like Madrigal and Williams (the new girl).

Yeah I get that feeling too. Like They're trying to fill some sort of niche with the new correspondents.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm still baffled by how Munn got on the show. A part of me doesn't want to believe that she fucked her way onto the show but that's the only logical reason she's on as she's not funny at all.

You've been brainwashed by the GAF Munn-hate bandwagon. She's easily one of the funniest female correspondents TDS has had, her segments are consistently great.

Jintor

Madrigal is hilarious and I like the new girl quite a bit, though I don't think the writing for her segments has been great by any means

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I've noticed that they've been covering the same material lately. A while back I was impressed by how there was so little overlap and thought they must organize things in advance to keep their coverage unique. It's almost like that mechanism, whatever it was if it existed, is gone.

Socreges why do you want to touch my knob?!
I don't have to explain myself to you, Geno.

Lost an avatar bet for an NHL game. The winner is kind of a douche, but fair's fair.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, the Grover interview is excellent, especially the last ten minutes or so. Jon Stewart seems like one of the only intelligent interviewers on TV today, and I don't say that because of his opinions but because of how he interacts with someone who he disagrees with.

Top Bottom