• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

Is anyone else having issues loading videos of old Colbert Report stuff on cc.com? The only thing that ever works these past few days are "most viewed clips today" type of shit. Driving me nuts.

I'm on Chrome if it helps.

Both Colbert and The Daily Show's site are notoriously terrible and buggy and always have been. I've always had one problem or another with them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
CTutfYc.gif

Jon was on raw last night.

some tweets regarding the matter
Deep beneath the earth, Craig Kilborn arises from a deathless slumber, his gruesome visage forming into smirk as he sharpens his pompadour

— Matthew Callan (@scratchbomb) February 11, 2015

[Somewhere Craig Kilborn just woke up from a deep sleep] "This is my chance… again." pic.twitter.com/CHVMIF7MQa

— Matt Kiebus (@mjkiebus) February 10, 2015

Somewhere, Craig Kilborn's eyes just snapped open like Lobot.

— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) February 11, 2015

DietRob

Man, I didn't realize how much I was going to miss Jason Jones until midway through his montage tonight. He's done so many great correspondent pieces.

I'm very nervous about the future of TDS.

Wag

Man, I didn't realize how much I was going to miss Jason Jones until midway through his montage tonight. He's done so many great correspondent pieces.

I'm very nervous about the future of TDS.

It looks like they're all jumping ship now that Jon is leaving. Probably a good idea.

Clydefrog

It looks like they're all jumping ship now that Jon is leaving. Probably a good idea.

Yeah, "The Daily Show" in its current form is dying. It's probably a good thing. It can't last forever.

Excited to see where Jason Jones goes. Is he really married to Sam Bee?

Fox318

I think without Jon Comedy Central won't have an hour of news type shows.

Isn't Larry whilmores show doing really bad in ratings?

DietRob

Excited to see where Jason Jones goes. Is he really married to Sam Bee?

Yes, Jason and Sam are writing/producing some family comedy on a cable network. That's why they are leaving. Wonder why they didn't give Sam Bee a 'send off' montage.

I think without Jon Comedy Central won't have an hour of news type shows.

Isn't Larry whilmores show doing really bad in ratings?

Not sure about ratings but I genuinely tried to give Larry a shot. I enjoyed his correspondent bits but his show is awful. It's been on a while now and he still just looks extremely uncomfortable up there. He doesn't have the confidence/charisma needed to host his own show. He fumbles through every single bit he does. He can't control his round table discussions. When he does make jokes I can feel the awkwardness through the TV of him waiting for the approval of the studio audience.

Sorry Larry but your show is doomed.

Not sure about ratings but I genuinely tried to give Larry a shot. I enjoyed his correspondent bits but his show is awful. It's been on a while now and he still just looks extremely uncomfortable up there. He doesn't have the confidence/charisma needed to host his own show. He fumbles through every single bit he does. He can't control his round table discussions. When he does make jokes I can feel the awkwardness through the TV of him waiting for the approval of the studio audience.

Sorry Larry but your show is doomed.

I like Larry Wilmore, but I'm not a big fan of panel shows. Tough Crowd, Real Time, Politically Incorrect. None of those really caught on with me. The problem is more the format than the host.

Larry Wilmore was usually excellent on the Daily Show. If Jon had announced his retirement in sync with Stephen Colbert's, I think Larry might have been a contender to take over the Daily Show. Instead, Larry taking over Colbert's timeslot happened.

Although by this point I'm beginning to think the Daily Show simply ending with Jon's retirement might be a possibility.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Wednesdays nightly show was pretty awful. There's been a lot of dumb stuff on his show

I actually like Mike Yard more than him lol

Keasar

Colbert's gone, Oliver's gone, Wyatt's gone, Jason's gone, Stewart's about to be gone, Larrys show honestly kinda sucks.

Well, it was a nice 12 years that I spent watching The Daily Show (and Colbert). :(

Will see how Trevor pulls it off but most of everything I liked about the show is gone and about to be gone now. :(

Keasar

This thread seems more barren each day, the loss of Colbert is really hitting hard. :(

Todays episode was really depressing regarding the US. Senate, they really hate having to do with anyone unless it involves shooting at them.

Also American news channels really need to chill the fuck out about stuff involving political people doing normal shit. It is getting a bit creepy. :p

Edit: I am saddened how silent this thread is, cause goddamn, todays episode of The Daily Show was great with Jons rant against Dick Cheney.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Unless he's doing some behind the scenes stuff, is that really that big of a loss? I do like his bits when he's on, but I honestly can't remember the last time he was on the show.

No but something something rats leaving the sinking ship.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No but something something rats leaving the sinking ship.

He's had one foot out the door for a few years now, same with Sam, Jason and Aasif. Odds are they all stuck around this long because they liked working with Jon. It's only natural that the show will reinvent itself with a new host, we're just seeing the start of that process. If Jessica leaves then we've got a problem.

davepoobond

Aasif was on Wednesdays episode so he must be doing stories on his off days or something. Maybe only while John is still on?

Keasar

And this man in quitting in August, this interview showed one of the big reasons why I will miss him so much. :(

I will hope that Trevor can measure up to this level somehow.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That interview last night was brutal. You can see how much he dislikes her at the end.

Yeah that was crazy. He's tried to grill big guests like that before but usually backs off and plays for laughs to keep things light, but he was relentless with Miller last night. He never backed down and never let her explain away things.

Trokil

Banned
I think he is just disappointed at the media. After the catastrophic failure that was the Iraq war, everybody was just pointing the finger to somebody else and continued the same way.

While Stewart was relentless against stupid crap like Crossfire on CNN, it’s nothing compared to the incredible stupidity, they show now. Blizzer is just telling people what he sees on TV, because they got nothing. No insides, no real discussions, nothing. The fill the void with pictures and describing pictures.

Journalism and politics in the US is in such an abysmal state, that it hurts him to even make jokes about it. You see it more and more often and I think, it would have killed him inside, if he would have continued. The look on his face after the interview was incredible, it really hurt him how media tries to swindle itself out of this again.

Holy shit last night's interview! I've never seen Jon get this angry with a guest before. You could tell he absolutely despised her, especially at the end. He couldn't ever look her in the face.

It's stuff like this that's gonna make me miss the hell out of him in a few months.

davepoobond

i just saw that interview. wow.

i dont even know the context really behind what she did and all of this stuff about info being fed by the white house.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i just saw that interview. wow.

i dont even know the context really behind what she did and all of this stuff about info being fed by the white house.

She helped sell the Iraq War. Basically she reported what her sources in the Pentagon were feeding her without ever trying to corroborate it with other sources or even bothering to question it. She put a huge black mark on The New York Times's reputation as a result of not doing the legwork she should have and turned the paper into nothing more than a propaganda outlet for the Bush administration and the Pentagon.

davepoobond

She helped sell the Iraq War. Basically she reported what her sources in the Pentagon were feeding her without ever trying to corroborate it with other sources or even bothering to question it. She put a huge black mark on The New York Times's reputation as a result of not doing the legwork she should have and turned the paper into nothing more than a propaganda outlet for the Bush administration and the Pentagon.

i see. i hear a lot of bad things about the New York Times. that lady is pretty much a scumbag.

Silexx

Why the hell did she agree to do it. He seemed really angry by the end, rightly so mind you.

She wrote a book which she is now trying to promote and to coincide with a "redemption tour", so to speak. The interview was pretty much Jon saying "Fuck your redemption tour and your attempt to absolve yourself from your role in one of the most disasterour US foreign policies in history".

Keasar

Oh god, I don't think I have ever seen Samantha so sad before, she was on the verge of just openly crying. ;__;

Gonna miss her a lot.

Fox318

I feel like with all of the staff leaving at once and the host being replaced by a complete outsider to both the show and the country they should just rename the show.

gabbo

Oh god, I don't think I have ever seen Samantha so sad before, she was on the verge of just openly crying. ;__;

Gonna miss her a lot.

She was quoted in the Toronto Star as saying she was pretty much going to cry on screen, so that doesn't come as a big shock. Glad they followed through with a good tribute.

WillyFive

I feel like with all of the staff leaving at once and the host being replaced by a complete outsider to both the show and the country they should just rename the show.

Other talk shows don't do that though. Anytime there's a staff change, the Tonight Show doesn't stop being called the Tonight Show.

DietRob

Man, I missed the Miller interview I'll have to go back and watch that...

I'll be honest was never a HUGE fan of Bee but that goodbye got me in my feelings.

Top Bottom