• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i see. i hear a lot of bad things about the New York Times. that lady is pretty much a scumbag.

In general the NYTimes is very good, it's among the last good papers in the country, but she just left a huge black stain on it's record. There's a reason she doesn't work there anymore.

gabbo

Other talk shows don't do that though. Anytime there's a staff change, the Tonight Show doesn't stop being called the Tonight Show.

They slightly changed the name when Jon took over (and to distance themselves from Kilborn), so why not just replace his name with Noah's? Problem solved.

Kaleinc

Banned
She helped sell the Iraq War. Basically she reported what her sources in the Pentagon were feeding her without ever trying to corroborate it with other sources or even bothering to question it. She put a huge black mark on The New York Times's reputation as a result of not doing the legwork she should have and turned the paper into nothing more than a propaganda outlet for the Bush administration and the Pentagon.
This whole idea that a newspaper article can serve as greenlight to start war is akward. Jon can blame Miller for bad journalism or whatever but wars and other heavy hitters are exclusively administration's sins. A piece in NYT is just that - a piece in NYT, it ain't supreme court or congress paperwork. Surprisingly enough Washington is deep in wars as ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This whole idea that a newspaper article can serve as greenlight to start war is akward. Jon can blame Miller for bad journalism or whatever but wars and other heavy hitters are exclusively administration's sins. A piece in NYT is just that - a piece in NYT, it ain't supreme court or congress paperwork. Surprisingly enough Washington is deep in wars as ever.

It wasn't the greenlight, but her reporting helped Bush make his case. Had she done her job properly Bush couldn't have used her reporting to help justify the war and his case would have been that much harder.

It wasn't the greenlight, but her reporting helped Bush make his case. Had she done her job properly Bush couldn't have used her reporting to help justify the war and his case would have been that much harder.
It also let neocons say, "See, even the New York Times says we should go to war!"

Kaleinc

Banned
Those folks have no need to make their case. Common, anyone remembers the Snowden thing? NSA and CIA read emails as they used to, tap the phones as they used to and violate Constitution in any way, shape or form same as before. Meanwhile Snowden is like useless meat in some dumphole and reporters he worked with are ruined.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Those folks have no need to make their case. Common, anyone remembers the Snowden thing? NSA and CIA read emails as they used to, tap the phones as they used to and violate Constitution in any way, shape or form same as before. Meanwhile Snowden is like useless meat in some dumphole and reporters he worked with are ruined.

That's not nearly the same thing, we also look at the media differently now than we did then, and you know it. Pretending she didn't have a hand in helping to sell the war is the height of ignorance. It requires ignoring everything we know about the build up to Iraq.

Part of me wishes Jon wasn't leaving. The next presidential campaign is slowly becoming a circus and yes looking like a big brother type reality show.

Kaleinc

Banned
That's not nearly the same thing, we also look at the media differently now than we did then, and you know it. Pretending she didn't have a hand in helping to sell the war is the height of ignorance. It requires ignoring everything we know about the build up to Iraq.
What she was selling is what all papers sell - controversy, 'click baits', hot garbage. The Daily show having been shitting on the media for 15+ years is well aware of that.

The Fox denial and Jon's subsequent proof on Wednesday's show. Fucking hell. Stuart Varney is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Fox denial and Jon's subsequent proof on Wednesday's show. Fucking hell. Stuart Varney is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen.

That was really hilarious. I can't believe Fox News is pushing back against their own narrative.

If this is what makes them stop lambasting on poor people I guess that ultimately it is better...

gabbo

That was really hilarious. I can't believe Fox News is pushing back against their own narrative.

If this is what makes them stop lambasting on poor people I guess that ultimately it is better...

It's been this long. Jon calling them on their shit, and backing it up is probably white noise to them by now

explodet

... so did they misspell this intentionally?

ds_20_114_03.jpg

Keasar

Was just catching up to the latest episode of The Daily Sow.

Holy fucking shit. Donald Trump will never cease to amaze me, that he is actually rich and allowed to run for president despite being this massive, fake blonde asshole.

Is the show off again this week?

I don't understand the idea behind taking a two week break when he's leaving in August anyway! I need my daily fix!

Keasar

I was glad to hear him answer that his favourite guests are his friends like Denis Leary. It's the best interviews when they just relax and fool around, Leary being the most fun.

The entire bit with answers to Twitter questions being tortured out of Jon was pretty great.

EDIT: Come to think of it, will this thread be moved to OT for the final week?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm going to miss Jon so much. Having a hard time dealing with it.

I understand this completely. I'm having a really hard time too. Sure it was difficult saying goodbybe to Colbert. But with Jon it's completely different for me. I'm going to cry like a baby on Stewart's last show. I just know it.

ps. Jordan IS amazing. He's going to be the next TDS staffer that will go on to do awesome things.

I would recommend to everyone here listen to this week's Daily Show Without Jon Stewart with Jon Stewart as the guest. He goes in depth into the working process behind the show

Top Bottom