• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

luxarific said:
but I hate the word Dudette

and there's nothing wrong with that. anyway just got one Damascus Steel, went back to try again but the monster never appeared. this could get ugly...

When I made the thread, it was among my most disliked games ever,

I know and this is an unsolved mystery. I mean, it's okay to not like the game but I love it yet you seem to know more about it than the developers and take some kind of twisted pleasure in helping others out by going to the extent of making out maps and trails and shit :lol

which is totally awesome! don't get me wrong. but there's no way I'd ever guess you don't like this game. anyway I want to play the international version soooo bad, but I don't know Japanese =\

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Red Scarlet said:
Amirox loves this game. I don't really like it. I just know crap about it from when I played through the international version and did fake 'speed runs' of the game.

But you put up all those videos! :eek: So much work if you don't love the game....

As for me, I'm very torn. There are moments of genius in the game, but some deep flaws too. I'm kind of annoyed with myself for spending so much time on it, because I don't love this FF the way I loved 8 and 10, but the gambit system is just so much fun to play with. I've been putting off finishing it, simply because I like to play with the gambits. I have to admit there's stuff I never touched though - most weird techniques like sight unseeing, numerology, traveler, horology and some costly magic like darkga.

Red Scarlet said:
When I made the thread, it was among my most disliked games ever, and I made it to show Amirox that I could make an OP that was neither favorable nor OMGTHISGAMESUX. :lol

Wow, if you do this for games you're only "meh" about, I've got to see what you do for games you love. The mind boggles. :lol

I didn't care much for the plot but I still thought it was pretty cool. However the game itself is so addicting that I've had it since day one and still play it religiously. Hell, I even have GTA4 which I think is AWESOME, but I play FFXII instead. :lol

I like this one more than FFX, but FFVIII is still my overall favorite of the series-- XII being perhaps my second favorite. I just love the atmosphere the game conveys, the art, the music, and all the crap you can do.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
brandonh83 said:
I like this one more than FFX, but FFVIII is still my overall favorite of the series-- XII being perhaps my second favorite. I just love the atmosphere the game conveys, the art, the music, and all the crap you can do.

I love the atmosphere/art/music and all the side quests, but the characters don't live up to the plot. We just don't get enough characterization, particularly with regard to Basch, Gabranth, Vayne, and Balthier. Lots of tantalizing references that didn't get the exposition they deserved, ranging from
"when my dad made me a judge"
to
"like you failed Landis"
(which seriously, had me running to google since that was the first time we heard about the place during the entire game). I hate to say the game needed more cut scenes, but the game needed more cut scenes. :lol

Yeah I agree. It was lacking in some of those areas. But like I said, the actual game is great so I can overlook story and characterization shortcomings in exchange for the amount of gameplay you get.

Red Scarlet

luxarific said:
Wow, if you do this for games you're only "meh" about, I've got to see what you do for games you love. The mind boggles. :lol

If I have the game, then regardless of my liking the game or not doesn't really affect if I'd help someone if I can. Did you get all the stuff you needed yet, brandon?

Tideas

Banned
this was one of the best rpg of the PS2 generation. Man it's such so full of awesomeness

I hope FF13 continues the tradition of breaking the mold

Red Scarlet said:
If I have the game, then regardless of my liking the game or not doesn't really affect if I'd help someone if I can. Did you get all the stuff you needed yet, brandon?

I just got my 5th Damascus Steel :D

Red Scarlet said:
So now you need those Hell's Gate Flames, right? Took me forever the first time and I had 300+ chain really fast until I got one.

oh dear lord... after getting the final Damascus I might do another side quest, and then come back to Tournesol :lol

I'm actually trying to find the Zodiac Escutcheon or however you spell it but I really, really, really don't want to go all the way to the Great Crystal. I hate that place.

Red Scarlet

I made a crappy map for that place, but just put the spells that were there in the international one. I think I remember reading where it was, and it is less annoying than the international one to grab?

The second time I got the Hell things I got them pretty fast, so it was bad luck the first time.

I dunno. I may not even try that tonight, I hate that place that bad. :lol

Weapons I lack (sans Tournesol)

-Ultima Blade
-Saggitarius
-Dragon Whisker
-Durandal
-Blood Sword

I also haven't beaten Zodiark yet, which I should be getting to soon.

Red Scarlet

I've made a couple of those, so maybe we can find a decent way of getting the stuff for them.

For the Hell things, I just went to the Henne Mine entrance at the Feywood then went two screens over and there seemed to be a lot of the fire dogs on the two screens to the right of the place, then I'd go to the ice place and kill some more on the way to the mine again and repeat, I think.

At least you don't have to go for a 6% steal off Zodiark like I did.

I was thinking Mithril Blade with that percent.

Quickly checked though and remembered that it was actually a very rare drop off of Omega.

That'd be hell though. I actually made the mistake of deleting it, too, on my first game file (which was otherwise on its way to a complete file). But I also missed Zodiac spear so I figured it'd likely just be easier (and probably quicker) to restart rather than try get them the hard, rare way.

Red Scarlet

Nah, was talking about the Torango Tower.

I don't know if the Zodiac Escutcheon is the same in the original Brandon, but if it is a 1% to show up, then I got that twice in the Hellwyrm's room, which is probably more annoying to go through than where I think the shield is in the regular one. go go go

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Beat it, can't say I'm too thrilled with that last boss. I managed to have fun with the game, despite all I talked about it before.

Final Stats

Balthier lv. 62
Fran lv 62
Basch lv 61
Vaan lv 8
Ashe lv 13
Penelo lv 13

Hours logged: 68:32:12

Two years (well, almost) in the making, countless of 'starting over'... I finally beat FFXII!

I'll post my thoughts on the game later.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You helped me with the game. I know you've said before you didn't like it, and its still sad to hear :(

Penelo doesn't make up for it?

edit: opps, i meant that to Red Scarlet.

So Error, better than DQ8 am I right???

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
What? I said I had fun! How is that not liking it!? Sure, it had flaws (lots!) and some annoying parts. But in the end I managed to have fun, and that's what matters to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finished my latest playthrough (brought on by Himumumu's thread). 38 hours, which is about 30 less than last time or so. Cut it down substantially.

Finished with everyone in the high 40s. I love this game to absolute pieces. Wish we got ZJS. :(

Square Enix sucks. They could have ported it to Wii, added AA and waggle for Mist Knacks and had the best looking wii game. Sucky Squeenix.

Y2Kev

Doing some random exploration now. I trawled to the depths of Nabudis, which I haven't done before. I had never actually explored the Deadlands outside of the Salikawood, but now I have!

Went hunting in the Cerobi Steppe and did some exploration of the Westersand, which I had never done because I really don't like the music in the Westersand.

Man, I really love this game.

Also, the art that they show during the credit sequence is fantastic! I really, really love Larsa and Vayne's illustration...it's classic Yoshida. It's amazing how, uh, far they took Larsa in game. Lol.

Y2Kev

burgerdog said:
Kev's posts are making me wish I didn't leave FF12 at home ;(
The game is unabashedly beautiful. The textures are so detailed for a PS2 game. Exploring is really quite fun just for the visual reward.

Y2Kev

Here, I was playing (hunting!) before and I just happened to come across this view and I had to stop and take a picture.

raithwall.gif

So pretty!

ten13

I've been playing through this game for the first time, and just finished Raithwall's Tomb. That area struck me as being particularly beautiful.

The optional Demonwall just destroys me.

Kyoufu

ten13 said:
The optional Demonwall just destroys me.

Have your strongest characters use the berserk status (Bacchus wine or Berserk spell) and watch them destroy the thing in no time. You can also tear it up in one lovely Quickening combo.

John Harker

what TV you playing that on?
FF12 is absolutely gorgeous, but it looks way shittier on my big LCD HDTV than it does in that screen. I even have crappy component cables that I use.

Y2Kev

John Harker said:
what TV you playing that on?
FF12 is absolutely gorgeous, but it looks way shittier on my big LCD HDTV than it does in that screen. I even have crappy component cables that I use.

It's upscaled on a PS3.

Jim

Y2Kev said:
It's upscaled on a PS3.

With the right upscaling options FF12 is stupidly close to looking next-gen. I played all the way through on the PS3.

I took a few decent comparisons 480p w/o upscaling or smoothing, and 1080p with both on. Flicker Filter in the game is off.

480p
480p.jpg

1080p w/smoothing
1080p.jpg

480p
480p-2.jpg

1080p w/smoothing
1080p-2.jpg

In motion, a lot of the shimmery edges are really cleaned up.

John Harker

yup, mine looks like Jim's 480p but maybe even a bit worse...

my uh... ps3... isn't backwards compatible :(

Total stats:

- 2 times play-through, restarted first time, so ended with a grand total of 90hrs !!!

- Main Party: Vaan 47lv, Balthier 50lv, and Fran 50lv

and the Verdict?

!!! Hands down my favorite RPG of the Playstation2 era !!!
and as a Final Fantasy title, it will sit happily in the following of my top 3:

1. Final Fantasy IV
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Final Fantasy XII

What can I say, I absolutely fell in love with this game...even though it took me almost a year of off an on play...the game is a masterpiece and deserved every one of the accolades it received.
The game completely reinforced my love and faith in the franchise as a whole after the disasterous Final Fantasy X....though I will admit apprehension on the direction of XIII, especially with some of the team associated with it....

Still, this game moved the jRPG genre forward! Everything from the ludicrously addictive gameplay to the amazing fucking script!
...seriously, for me, it's one of the finest written and acted titles i've ever played (right up there with the Legacy of Kain series) and I was completely enamoured by the world, the ensamble cast approach to the characters as a whole, to the political intrigue of the plot....
This game hasn't ruined! my ability to accept generic jRPG # 324245 that the industry is still putting out (I'll give Blue Dragon a pass) and if ever the was a game that deserves an HD remake in the future, it's not Final Fantasy VII, it's this game. The artwork and care put into this representation of Ivalice deserves it

My only criticisms would probably be the score, which while I appreciate the theme behind it, mostly didn't do it for me and was regrettably passable most of the time.

NZNova

I'm finally getting into this game. After two abortive attempts ages ago I started another playthrough recently. I just defeated
Judge Ghis
and have been doing a couple of hunts since then (I did say my first two attempts were abortive).

I'm liking the freedom to level my characters however I like, but I have felt constantly that my team is uncomfortably close to getting their asses kicked. I'm using a lot more consumables than I ever did with any other FF game. Also it seems MP is in really short supply. I've got Ashe as a healer with three quickenings to boost her MP and she still seems to run out of MP too easily. I guess I should experiment with her gambits to make her a bit less proactive with her healing. Vaan seems to make a pretty good tank and Basch is whacking things with a spear. The combat is pretty fun, which is weird to me because most of it is just running on gambits.

Anyway I'm enjoying it, even though I don't really know what the hell I'm doing with the license board, hopefully I won't hit a brick wall later in the game and find that I've leveled my characters wrong and can't finish the game.

BitchTits

Playing through FFXII for the first time proper and loving it; I'm on my way to Raithwall Tomb.

What sort of strategy (if any) should I be using with regards to characters and leveling? It seems that the licensing board will give any character any ability without much hassle, so is it worth concentrating on certain skills, or making each character more general in ability?

Also, since you can only have a playable team of 3, should I be leveling all my characters up, rotating them in play, or concentrate on levelling a core team?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=459841&topic=39360360

Quick advice:

- Just use your favorite members as there is no real benefit to keeping them all balanced level wise. I thought I would do this but found out early on there's no need as you keep all over your members pretty much the majority of the game.

- Stat increases come mostly from License board augments and equipment. Don't stress about levelin'

- I'd say yeah, get an idea of what members you want to focus on what IE: Don't spend your points on stuff you don't need. Use this http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/459841/45740 so you know what your getting next...

BitchTits

AgentOtaku said:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=459841&topic=39360360

Quick advice:

- Just use your favorite members as there is no real benefit to keeping them all balanced level wise. I thought I would do this but found out early on there's no need as you keep all over your members pretty much the majority of the game.

- Stat increases come mostly from License board augments and equipment. Don't stress about levelin'

- I'd say yeah, get an idea of what members you want to focus on what IE: Don't spend your points on stuff you don't need. Use this http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/459841/45740 so you know what your getting next...
These will come in very handy, thanks. :)

Ploid 3.0

It's amazing how beautiful FF12 is. After playing games in this gen for a while, playing FF12 on ps3 (upscale) still wows me. It's good stuff. Want a HD version of the international ff12, and tweaked license board, more hunts, and gameplay mechanics (macro system, and visible gear :( never going to happen but oh well). Love the game anyway.

JayDubya

Banned
I still need / want to:

Make Sagittarius & Artemis Arrows.

Kill a Larva Eater (maybe try for a Danjuro).
Kill a Luxollid (and steal a Staff of the Magi from him).

Get a Circlet.
Get a Duelist Mask.
Get a Grand Helm.
Get Grand Armor.

Yazmat and Ultima.

Fly to Behemoth.

Lots and lots of hours into the game. I'm not a big fan, though the game was fun at the beginning. Maybe a low-level / speed run / whatever playthrough of the story would be satisfying sometime in the future.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The FFXIII hype makes me want to revisit my unfinished save game...

I'm at the Henne Mines right now, I tried once a year ago and got pwned by some jellies after an hour+ of dungeoning, tried again about 7 months ago and the same thing happened again.

Make me go back, GAF.

BitchTits

Are the hunts worth breaking from the main game to go and do? I've just got the bald sky pirate as a party guest so thought it might be a good time to do some more.

I've done about a dozen of them so far, and another dozen accepted to do. I initially enjoyed doing them, but I'm finding them to be a pain in the ass (go there, teleport here, run to this end of the map, run back, teleport, etc, etc) - the rewards so far haven't been worth the effort. :-(

eXistor

BitchTits said:
Are the hunts worth breaking from the main game to go and do? I've just got the bald sky pirate as a party guest so thought it might be a good time to do some more.

I've done about a dozen of them so far, and another dozen accepted to do. I initially enjoyed doing them, but I'm finding them to be a pain in the ass (go there, teleport here, run to this end of the map, run back, teleport, etc, etc) - the rewards so far haven't been worth the effort. :-(
Yes, for me most of my love for the game came from doing the sidequests. I loved the hunts and loved searching for them. The running and searching part you said you disliked is probably my favorite aspect of FFXII.

burgerdog

BitchTits said:

Hunts are a big reason why this is my favorite FF game! The last few hunts are amazing.

Red Scarlet

jon bones said:
The FFXIII hype makes me want to revisit my unfinished save game...

I'm at the Henne Mines right now, I tried once a year ago and got pwned by some jellies after an hour+ of dungeoning, tried again about 7 months ago and the same thing happened again.

Make me go back, GAF.

Buy items that cure confusion, and the jelly guys are weak to fire. Cast Fira (can you get it yet though?) as soon as some slime guys drop and you'll kill a chunk of them right away. If you don't have Fira, Dark or Aero would probably work.

BitchTits

burgerdog said:
Hunts are a big reason why this is my favorite FF game! The last few hunts are amazing.
I admit I've just had a blast with some long-ass battles against a couple of the Hunts that appear in the Necrohol of Nabudis (Goliath and Deathscythe). My main characters are all about lvl 45 (with Vaan and Penelo - whom I never use - at 18 and 19 respectively), but I found them the longest most fun battles I've had yet. It's given me a new vigor to finish off the hunts :D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just got this game and beat the four slimes, so I'm way early in. It sure is... different. I will miss certain things I liked to do that aren't really allowed by this design, but it also opens up a lot of entirely new things, so it's okay. I just want to get past all this opening BS and get to where I can travel the world a bit. Apparently I already screwed my chance for a Zodiac Spear but I don't think that's my style anyway.

One Question: Do you have to use Vaan at a lot of points? I don't like him, so I'd rather just use other people.

Exhumed

I am another who has quit part way through. Last I recall I saved right before The Great Crystal. So close to end game too.

I remember spending an ungodly time on farming mats and doing all the sidequests and hunts. I think I burned myself out on it.

Perhaps soon I will revisit it. Probably after i finish DQ8!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sweet. In that case, he's probably going no further than lvl15 on my game.

Top Bottom