• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gaaaaaaahhh. So I leveled up like 3 times going through this oil rig only to be wiped out by some insane fire monster that randomly showed up. I hate losing so much playing time like that.

meme

Banned
Dice said:
Gaaaaaaahhh. So I leveled up like 3 times going through this oil rig only to be wiped out by some insane fire monster that randomly showed up. I hate losing so much playing time like that.

That was probably a Salamander Entity or a Fire Element (they are Balls of Light that don't harm you unless you cast some magick near them). Stay away of those while you are at lower levels, the entities are a pain in the ass even if you are at level 40+;

Althoran

Those Entites can easily kill you on lower levels. I never attacked one for a long time after being killed a few times trying to kill one at level 16.
I think I started going after them at level 50 or something. They are not that much of a hassle then but you need to watch for the silence attacks they like to do.

Plus in my opinion the hunts where the single greatest thing about the game.

Am I the only one that leveled up everyone?

Dice

I wish you could have 4 people in your party. I can't wait until I get past all this linear stuff. I don't like it when games force you around to places, especially since the story is really boring so far.

meme

Banned
For me, It's always Ashe, Basch and Vaan at level 99 and the rest at mid 60. :(
Now I'm trying to get the Lu Shang's Badge, f*ck this shit, I defeated both of the greatest enemies in the world and I can't get my wyrmhero blade because of a frigging fishing minigame, come on!

Althoran said:

There wasn't really any point in levelling them all up for me so i left Balthier and that bunny chick out of my team all the time and levelled the other 4 up.

neoism

Althoran said:
Those Entites can easily kill you on lower levels. I never attacked one for a long time after being killed a few times trying to kill one at level 16.
I think I started going after them at level 50 or something. They are not that much of a hassle then but you need to watch for the silence attacks they like to do.

Plus in my opinion the hunts where the single greatest thing about the game.

Nope, I love the battle system, it's my favorite in the series. So, I 99'd everyone!

topofuji

Banned
According to GameFAQs release data, they're releasing a re-release of International Zodiac Job System (in Japan of course...Square hates America and we will never get translated Internation versions). Does this mean it will be a reprint of the original International Zodiac Job System, or just a reprint of the "The Best"/"Ultimate Collection" (Greatest Hits) version? The Ultimate Collection version is the only one easily available right now.

Dice

So, I'm way too powerful now. I got totally sidetracked with getting the Arturus Gun early, and I didn't really run away from enemies as I ran all over doing stuff, so now I just beat the demon walls and I'm at level 23. :lol

It's kind of funny, because I'm augmenting my characters like crazy so the gun is only 4 times stronger than my other characters are hitting right now.

My team is Balthier, Ashe and Basch. I had already decided I'd have Balthier doing long range as my team lead, so getting the gun just made sense to me.

IrishNinja

Milk Lizard said:
There wasn't really any point in levelling them all up for me so i left Balthier and that bunny chick out of my team all the time and levelled the other 4 up.

wait, wait: ive gotta know who you felt more compelling teammates than Balthier.

Dice said:
So, I'm way too powerful now. I got totally sidetracked with getting the Arturus Gun early, and I didn't really run away from enemies as I ran all over doing stuff, so now I just beat the demon walls and I'm at level 23. :lol

It's kind of funny, because I'm augmenting my characters like crazy so the gun is only 4 times stronger than my other characters are hitting right now.

My team is Balthier, Ashe and Basch. I had already decided I'd have Balthier doing long range as my team lead, so getting the gun just made sense to me.

Some tips: You think that gun is awesome? Try to go for the Fomalhaut drop early, it's obtained 10% of the time from a treasure chest in that mining shaft in Bujherba(it's in a section that's blocked off until you do a certain mark, I think the Antlion). The chest re-spawns so you can try again if it doesn't have the gun by returning later.

Use Basch as your party leader. Many enemies prioritize by attacking the first character they see, since Basch is a tank he should be the one to absorb the blunt of the damage.

Replace Ashe with Penelo. Penelo is the game's best mage, Ashe is a close second but not close enough.

Dice

So is it just me or do Quickenings REALLY suck?

I pull off like 8 of them and get some super smash finish and it takes out like 1/20th of a bosses life. It's not worth the MP at all.

Fimbulvetr said:
Some tips: You think that gun is awesome? Try to go for the Fomalhaut drop early, it's obtained 10% of the time from a treasure chest in that mining shaft in Bujherba(it's in a section that's blocked off until you do a certain mark, I think the Antlion). The chest re-spawns so you can try again if it doesn't have the gun by returning later.
That is why I'm doing marks now. Haha.

Use Basch as your party leader. Many enemies prioritize by attacking the first character they see, since Basch is a tank he should be the one to absorb the blunt of the damage.
I use Balthier mostly because of how I play right now. If I'm running around in the field, I want to cap something in my approach before it sees me. In real battles I like leaving most of the generic healing up to the two non-me characters while I watch carefully and focus on getting the right commands out since I usually play RPGs in the least-active mode they have.

Being back out from the action greatly helps with that, and if I'm getting targeted as party leader, I can run back and have a couple seconds to prep for the hit. Of course, that usually doesn't happen because I always see enemies first and cap them from afar. Usually my team runs ahead of me just as I'm starting to take the shot, so the monsters get distracted by them even though I hit first.

Replace Ashe with Penelo. Penelo is the game's best mage, Ashe is a close second but not close enough.
I do have her with a lot of magic stuff right now, although I've prepped her for daggers more than maces or something like that. I go with Ashe because I usually pick characters that are the coolest to me and Penelo is kind of annoying. Besides, now there is a 20 level split between the two, so...

Dice said:

I pull off like 8 of them and get some super smash finish and it takes out like 1/20th of a bosses life. It's not worth the MP at all.

Quickenings are awesome in that they can break the damage limit no problem, the highest chain I've gotten was 35 and I think did about 17000 damage with it.

Red Scarlet

topofuji said:
According to GameFAQs release data, they're releasing a re-release of International Zodiac Job System (in Japan of course...Square hates America and we will never get translated Internation versions). Does this mean it will be a reprint of the original International Zodiac Job System, or just a reprint of the "The Best"/"Ultimate Collection" (Greatest Hits) version? The Ultimate Collection version is the only one easily available right now.

I think when they rereleased FF10/FF10i/FFX2/FFX2i a few years ago, they were reprints of the "Ultimate Collection" versions, so probably this one will too.

Dice said:

Depends on what you are fighting and the power of the hits you do. A couple of small level 1/1/1+finisher may be better damage-wise than doing 5 level 1's and a level 2. Five level 3's plus that finisher (Whiteout) wipes out a boss 3/4 through the game at the start of the battle. If you're going to kill a boss with one, in my experiences it is best to do it right before they go into 'near death mode'.

Dice

I just got the sword of kings and I'm already lvl41. :lol The story would be a lot better of the cutscenes moved along at about 3x the pace. I swear half of the story is waiting for people to talk.

Anyways, I'm on this hunt and the Trickster is not the problem, it's the damn Ice Elemental in its area. I need more Rose Corsages...

Dice

And now I would like to present... every story scene in Final Fantasy XII.

Person 1:
"That's it, I've made my decision. I'm going to do this!"

Person 2:
"Are you sure about that? Is that what you really want?"

Person 1:
"..."

*shot of the rest of the group moving on*

Dice

Okay so I've caught on to how Quickenings work. 40k damage is a nice thing.

Now, is there a certain way to improve these worthless, baby summons other than wasting my entire life activating them to level them up?

Hunts are fun, at least.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Stay away from summons, they're all worthless and won't ever compare to your party as a whole.

Dice

You can tell the FFT team was involved with this because I'm 50 hours in and only now is it feeling interesting. Why did I play up to now? They're good at tantalizing you and then not actually giving you what you want for a long time. I mean, this is exactly how an MMORPG works without the MO. I hope FFXIII is nothing like this.

Red Scarlet

Summons are pretty bad in the original version of the game; many of them won't do their 'super attack' unless very specific conditions (some such as a party member being dead/various status ailments) are met; they were a little more useful in the International one for a couple reasons, though (combat + license board bridges).

Dice

Just did Black Hole on Zeromus. That felt good.

...and now the door to Giltopia has opened to me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I just smashed my way through SO4 after not touching it for over 3 months(I forgot how obnoxious the story in that game was) - and am now on a "Lets re-play RPG's I never finished" kick.

Anyway, it's been waaay too long since I've played this game for me to try and replay from my old save file (plus I don't have my PS2 anymore, and I don't have the PS2-Ps3 Memory card adapter) - so I am starting fresh.

I am literally an hour into the game, just got Penelo in my party, and I want to start the liscense board work now, and I wanna do it right.

I have 3 big questions:

1. Penelo if I remember correct, makes a good mage - what sort of weapon should I be giving her?

2. Vaan is one of the best, if not the best, melee characters (someone told me this recently, correct me if I am wrong) but my desired weapon is crap apparently (Ninja swords) - I was told to go with greatswords, but before I go down that path, is there any other weapon that would do the job - you know just so I can have options?

3. My group will probably consist of Vaan, Penelo, Ashe and Undecided - is there any advice anyone can give me with the direction I should take these characters? What weapons, and what 'class' each of them should focus on?

Any tips would be much appreciated, if there's anything important you think I should know that I did not mention, please keep me informed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After struggling to get started on it for a few months, I've really started to take a liking to this game. I dig the setting and (most) of the characters (Balthier is a badass), the combat system has grown on me over time (reminds me of KOTOR), and I enjoy building characters using the license system, its all so deep and addictive (in my opinion). I also like that there is a shit load of stuff to do outside of the main quest. The weird thing about it is that I'm not that into the Final Fantasy games, I've enjoyed this more than the other ones (VII,X) that I have played.

edgefusion

Kinitari said:
So I just smashed my way through SO4 after not touching it for over 3 months(I forgot how obnoxious the story in that game was) - and am now on a "Lets re-play RPG's I never finished" kick.

Anyway, it's been waaay too long since I've played this game for me to try and replay from my old save file (plus I don't have my PS2 anymore, and I don't have the PS2-Ps3 Memory card adapter) - so I am starting fresh.

I am literally an hour into the game, just got Penelo in my party, and I want to start the liscense board work now, and I wanna do it right.

I have 3 big questions:

1. Penelo if I remember correct, makes a good mage - what sort of weapon should I be giving her?
Staffs would be your best bet, but anything that can increase her magick damage.

2. Vaan is one of the best, if not the best, melee characters (someone told me this recently, correct me if I am wrong) but my desired weapon is crap apparently (Ninja swords) - I was told to go with greatswords, but before I go down that path, is there any other weapon that would do the job - you know just so I can have options?
Ninja swords are no good because they have the dark element which heals any dark element fiend (which are plentiful). I personally picked regular swords for the beginning of the game then moved onto greatswords a little later. My team consists of a main 'tank' using greatswords, an agile character using katanas and a magic-user on staffs.

3. My group will probably consist of Vaan, Penelo, Ashe and Undecided - is there any advice anyone can give me with the direction I should take these characters? What weapons, and what 'class' each of them should focus on?
Anyway you want, characters are statistically slightly different but there's really not such a huge amount that you're going to want to worry over. Just pick whatever takes your fancy or whatever you think fits.

Any tips would be much appreciated, if there's anything important you think I should know that I did not mention, please keep me informed.
Do hunts because they can be quite rewarding, both in terms of items and fun. Don't worry over who should be what class because XII is very flexible in that regard (just take a look at the licence grid), oh and don't waste LP on technicks besides getting Telekineses because they are useless.

As above.

Red Scarlet

Kinitari said:

She has like 2 more magic stat points higher than some other characters. Really, it doesn't make a difference who you make into what type of character in the grand scheme of the game. Any character does fine in whatever role.

Kinitari said:

See above. Use the weapon type you prefer. You can get some stronger types of weapons earlier on in the game than others. Some weapon types are good at certain points, others get kind of crappy or stay crappy the whole time. You can get stronger 1-handed swords earlier on in the game as well as the strongest gun and strongest spear earlier in the game than other weapons. For the spear though, you have to avoid opening very particular pots/chests mostly early on in the game or it won't appear in the early/easy spot.

Kinitari said:

Vaan/Ashe/Penelo is my party too! :)
Different times in the game I've gone with varied setups; I kind of like the leader having a ranged weapon (bow or gun) to get a free hit on badguys. I haven't done all the hunts on the original version of the game, only the international version, where my character builds/jobs were Knight (1-handed/later on great swords; constantly Berserked), Red Mage (White and Black Magic; no Haste), and Samurai (high HP, that Black something abil that does random black magic spells, Katanas). It worked pretty well in the US version, but I quit at one of the last hunts.

If I could remember which pots/chests you can't open, I guess that could help if you wanted the strongest spear, but I only remember a couple of the spots (the pot across from Dalan's house, the chests in that prison area, and those 16 pots at Phon Coast).

Also, don't constantly upgrade your characters. If you are going with a main 3, buy them a new weapon/armor if it is at least 7-10 points stronger than your current (or if it has an elemental/status attack attached to it) then give the backup characters the hand-me-downs. That will reduce your 'I need to grind for cash' a whole lot. As for the backup characters, try to have them learn their mist attacks ASAP; try to figure out who will go to which ones, then have the backups make a beeline for them.

Another tip is when you get a whole lot of LP (like when a character joins), save your game, then go on a buying spree on the board to get a hint at what is on the squares. Also if you are going for something in particular, don't just blindly buy squares, see if there is a lower LP route.

If you want info about the stronger swords/gun earlier on, I can tell you. Some of them require doing the monster hunting, others don't.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Wow thanks for all of the advice you guys!

So my Vaan/Ashe/Penelo team is cemented, I think I am going to go with Spears and a heavy Melee/tank focus for Vaan. Ashe is going to probably go Katana - haven't really decided what 'class' to make her. And Penelo will be my Mace wielding all around mage. But in general, I'll take the advice, and not sweat it too much - I'll do what feels comfortable.

I looked up the spear info, And lucky for me I haven't opened the first chest, so from now on I'll just keep an eye out and try to avoid messing up my Zodiac Spear acquisition.

I'll do my best to not go down the eternal-grinding road, that's usually how RPG's end up getting stale for me, I spend too many days grinding, not enough days progressing.

I remember only a little bit about hunts - something that stands out was having to kill... I think it was a giant toad, and it was HAAAAAARD. Hopefully the years since I last played have done me some good, and I'll have the smarts to smash through fights a bit better.

Alright, I don't think I have anymore questions, I've gotten so much advice, thanks everyone~

Red Scarlet

If you plan on doing the hunts, try creating a little text file to go along with it.

Mine are separated by rank, and include the name of the person that wants the monster killed, where they are located, and stuff like that.

Example:

レイス: Reisu (Wraith)
Person to talk to: ミルハ: Miruha
Where to talk to: Rabanastre, Rabanastre Downtown (by the northern stairs)
Where to find monster: Garamsythe Waterway (room above center save crystal)
Reward: 500 gil / Ether x1 / Gauntlet x1

It's pretty easy, and in case you forget what you are still looking for, you know who to speak to again for the information.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I remember mainly having a gambit for Basch to cast Berserk on himself constantly with a mighty hammer equipped while Asche did Red Mage duty and Balthier leading the party with an awesome spear and assortment of odd skills and spells.

Seemed to work out pretty well, the game is pretty flexible.

FF12 reaffirmed my commitment to the series, well the gameplay did anyway. The story is one of the most forgettable ones in the entire series with some surprisingly wooden characters.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Okay quick update, just reached the Lhusu mines, and I am looking to spend a little bit of time chain killing. I remember killing undead back in the day here, and getting some pretty respectable chains.

Any tips on the best way to go about it? So far I think putting a gambit on everyone to only attack the party leaders target is important, but other than that, I don't really know what I can do. I tried running around doing a chain once, and I got to 13 before my party nearly got wiped out, so I am struggling a bit (but even that much was really fun).

Halp.

Red Scarlet

Set the characters to cast Cure at different HP percentages? Then run through/around, since your MP go up as you walk. If you get 2/3 Mist squares, that can help too. Got the Protect spell? That's helpful. Chain while Larsa is in the party; since he uses his own infinite supply of potions to heal.

As for getting better stuff in the chain, chains will level up faster if you don't pick up the bag/coin. What I do on stuff I am going to actually chain is leave the bags there until the chain level goes up to the next level, then I pick up the icon from the previous level and leave the new ones there until the upgrade.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Red Scarlet said:
Set the characters to cast Cure at different HP percentages? Then run through/around, since your MP go up as you walk. If you get 2/3 Mist squares, that can help too. Got the Protect spell? That's helpful. Chain while Larsa is in the party; since he uses his own infinite supply of potions to heal.

As for getting better stuff in the chain, chains will level up faster if you don't pick up the bag/coin. What I do on stuff I am going to actually chain is leave the bags there until the chain level goes up to the next level, then I pick up the icon from the previous level and leave the new ones there until the upgrade.

Perfect, I have Larsa right now, the only problem is he can be a bit annoying and break my chains by attacking random bats, but what are you going to do. And by "mist squares" I assume you mean quickenings, and I only have 1 so far, I should probably get on that.

I didn't know that about leveling up chains, it'd be so tempting to pick up the items, but I'll refrain.

I didn't even THINK about casting cure on the undead, that tip is amazing, really appreciate it~

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Alright, so I am making some steady progress in the game - the catch? My girlfriend insists on watching the entire game, or at least anything pertaining to the story - she likes it a lot.

So right now I am in Paramina Rift, and because our schedules are going to clash until Thursday, all I am allowed to do is grind. Now I am looking for some good places to get some kill chains (I am only now starting to understand them fully, I still don't really get what it means when "Chain" starts flashing, or when it changes colours) - any advice on what to kill in the Area? Tried googling around on tips and advice, or prime locations for kill chains - and the advice seems to be pretty minimal.

Would really appreciate any input!

Kinitari said:
Alright, so I am making some steady progress in the game - the catch? My girlfriend insists on watching the entire game, or at least anything pertaining to the story - she likes it a lot.

So right now I am in Paramina Rift, and because our schedules are going to clash until Thursday, all I am allowed to do is grind. Now I am looking for some good places to get some kill chains (I am only now starting to understand them fully, I still don't really get what it means when "Chain" starts flashing, or when it changes colours) - any advice on what to kill in the Area? Tried googling around on tips and advice, or prime locations for kill chains - and the advice seems to be pretty minimal.

Would really appreciate any input!

Wolf type enemies, they are by far some of the most common if they appear in any area.

Red Scarlet

If you want to build up some reserve cash, you're in the exact spot to do it. Go back to the Golmore Jungle, and you can kill those panther enemies. Their regular loot drop sells for about 340 gil each. Just enter the Jungle (from Ozmone Plains) and kill the about 15 or so panthers, then walk two screens back out to the plains then back in to respawn those panthers. Don't use the save crystal as it resets the chain.

Use ice spells or equip ice-elemental weapons like an Icebrand, and you can get 99 of their loot in about 15 minutes, giving you about 35,000 gil or so.

Also, do you have Gold Amulets? You can have one for everybody in the party now, and they double the LP you get. Pretty handy.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Red Scarlet said:
If you want to build up some reserve cash, you're in the exact spot to do it. Go back to the Golmore Jungle, and you can kill those panther enemies. Their regular loot drop sells for about 340 gil each. Just enter the Jungle (from Ozmone Plains) and kill the about 15 or so panthers, then walk two screens back out to the plains then back in to respawn those panthers. Don't use the save crystal as it resets the chain.

Use ice spells or equip ice-elemental weapons like an Icebrand, and you can get 99 of their loot in about 15 minutes, giving you about 35,000 gil or so.

Also, do you have Gold Amulets? You can have one for everybody in the party now, and they double the LP you get. Pretty handy.

I am downloading your mysterious .avi right now, lets see where this takes me.

I completely forgot about the Jungle, and interestingly enough when I refreshed this page I was literally 2 areas away from it (was running around chaining undead, just hit the level 2 chain, but its taking me looong).

I do have Gold amulets, got one doing a hunt, got the other straight cash, the third I was too broke to pickup last time I had the chance, I should have enough just about now though. I guess its a good idea to equip it before I go kill a bajillion cat things.

Edit: Your Mysterious AVI is a link to Persona 3. It's very subtle, but I think I get what you are trying to tell me.

Kinitari said:
I am downloading your mysterious .avi right now, lets see where this takes me.

I completely forgot about the Jungle, and interestingly enough when I refreshed this page I was literally 2 areas away from it (was running around chaining undead, just hit the level 2 chain, but its taking me looong).

I do have Gold amulets, got one doing a hunt, got the other straight cash, the third I was too broke to pickup last time I had the chance, I should have enough just about now though. I guess its a good idea to equip it before I go kill a bajillion cat things.

Edit: Your Mysterious AVI is a link to Persona 3. It's very subtle, but I think I get what you are trying to tell me.

If you wanna level a chain faster, DON'T pick up loot.

After it reaches max level, then you can start picking up.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Fimbulvetr said:
If you wanna level a chain faster, DON'T pick up loot.

After it reaches max level, then you can start picking up.

Thanks for the tip, I think Red Scarlet told me something along those lines a little while ago, but I am too tempted by loot strewn all over the place. I will refrain this time though.

Red Scarlet

Here's the right one. Wasn't expecting such a fast reply.

If you want to build the chain level up (4 is max, a big gold coin), don't pick up the prior loot. I pick up the previous level loot when the level goes up though.

The loot is Coeurl Pelt.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Red Scarlet said:
Here's the right one. Wasn't expecting such a fast reply.

If you want to build the chain level up (4 is max, a big gold coin), don't pick up the prior loot. I pick up the previous level loot when the level goes up though.

The loot is Coeurl Pelt.

Cool thanks a lot, I am currently at a 15 chain and am about to reset the mobs. Quick question though, how did you manage to come by the Icebrand it looks like your Ashe is weilding? Did a little research and It seems to drop off some mobs in the area right past where I am allowed to play until :( is that the only way?

P.S. Your PS3 video made me want to pick up PS3 again, I have it sitting on my shelf, with only 40 hours of gameplay put into it.

Kinitari said:
Cool thanks a lot, I am currently at a 15 chain and am about to reset the mobs. Quick question though, how did you manage to come by the Icebrand it looks like your Ashe is weilding? Did a little research and It seems to drop off some mobs in the area right past where I am allowed to play until :( is that the only way?

P.S. Your PS3 video made me want to pick up PS3 again, I have it sitting on my shelf, with only 40 hours of gameplay put into it.

You can't buy it by the temple at the top of the mountain?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Fimbulvetr said:
Be sure to pick up that lightning element spear btw, lightning is super effective to ice in XII.

Oh I did! I have Vaan rocking the spears so it worked out real nice.

Snookie

I really want to finish this game but any time I try I feel like I have something better to do. I also feel ripped off because I opened a treasure chest towards the beginning of the game and I lost out on the spear.

ACE 1991

Thread bump from hell, I know. Anyways, I just bought a PS2 and am considering picking this up, but the gambit system apparently causes the game to "play itself" from everything I've read. Is this true, or is combat still fairly involved on a macro level? Anyways, I'm not interested in hearing "FFXII IS TEH SUCK, GET RPG X INSTEAD," just a simple answer from someone who has spent a lot of time with the game would be nice.b

Top Bottom