• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

~ The Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions thread ~

Got this game yesterday, completely new to the game and to the job system. But by god i love it. Its so damn hard and i am just grinding my 5 basic characters for now. I mean heck i accidentally killed my black and white mages by targeting a blizzard on an enemy unit and then it decided to move towards them.

On another note, i just started reading "Song of ice and fire" novels this month and the translation is striking such a sweet chord with me right now, i think i am in love.

Edit: Hah, Jeanne D'arc is cake compared to this, took all of 36 hours to clear the game and only had to restart 3 or 4 of the fights in the whole game.

ezekial45 said:
Nice.
9.2/10 overall
9.7/10 story

Well done, too. Lots of good footage, and they sycned of context relevent shots often (e.g. on the topic of even positioning being relevant, it showed a knight missed from the side).

By the way,
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26015.html

I didn't notice it before this, but I did immediatly upon seeing him... the long hair and that sort of top-knot...

He's the producer from Drakengard.

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/463/463617p1.html (IGN Insider's Only)

I was a budding fan of his after that interview (January 2004). Between the hair and the kimono, and him expressing a lot of love for western RPGs or Dungeons & Dragons, I was pretty intrigued to see what he put out.

Great to see he was given the task of producing FFT WotL.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mikekennyb said:
Oh man, the Wigraf fight was HARD. I think I spent a week trying to beat it in the original! Good memories!!

It's easy if you go right for Wiegraf with Ramza. Or use mages heheheheh.

Demigod Mac

jaundicejuice said:
Slowdown be damned, this is still a fuck awesome game.

yes, yes it is still a great game. It's just frustrating that this should be the definitive version of FFT. But the slowdown and gimped music just... make it not so. :\

In the very least, the slowdown that I've seen in videos seems to smooth.

Early on my biggest concern was that it would stutter like an unstable framerate.

ethelred

BlueTsunami said:
I kinda feel that the new translation is a bit overwrought but its oh so much better than what he had to wade through before.

Oh, it is overwrought. The new translator is very talented, but he doesn't have the elegance that Smith has, and he doesn't convey the same sense of style with Smith's brevity. He goes overboard in places.

But it makes the story coherent and, at times overbearing or not, it does infuse the game appropriately with the Ivalice style. And for whatever faults it may have at times, it's full of some real wit, too -- Gaffgarion responding to Agrias's proclamation that they should merely rout the enemy by saying "I find dead men rout more easily" was a truly funny line that was still in keeping with tone and character.

Y2Kev said:
I can't remember how it sounded in the original, but when Ramza and Ovelia are blowing on the grass strand, someone please tell me Ramza's attempt is one of those shitty sound emulation things. I don't remember it being that...uh, harrowing in the original.

It's that bad.

I don't have to watch any youtube videos of Final Fantasy Tactics, I could just throw it into my PS3 and give it a whirl to see how the two versions compare side by side if I cared to, but I don't. It would be great if War of the Lion was the end all be all definitive version of Tactics but it isn't, a few minor technical issues (well one in my case, the sound doesn't bother me) mar an otherwise kick ass port.

Sure it would be nice if there wasn't any slowdown in the game, but the fact that there is isn't going to stop me from playing the hell out of this game. I haven't even gotten past Dorter yet and I've played the game for over three hours now. I don't plan on eeking out a victory against those bloody archers and mages with pure strategy, I want to bloody well donkey punch them with some tanked squires and mages of my own.

The fact that this game is portable and thus makes my commute to and from school a little more tolerable cancels out the slowdown alone. The added characters, the gorgeous cutscenes, the fantastic localisation, the new job classes, the fact that I'll soon be playing with and against others via local wifi just push this a tiny bit over the ledge into a little place I call holyfuckawesome.

You people can debate which is the definitive version confirmed, how much or how little the technical flaws matter while I go grind me some more job classes and skillz.

nomnomnomnomnom

ethelred

jaundicejuice said:
I don't have to watch any youtube videos of Final Fantasy Tactics, I could just throw it into my PS3 and give it a whirl to see how the two versions compare side by side if I cared to, but I don't. It would be great if War of the Lion was the end all be all definitive version of Tactics but it isn't, a few minor technical issues (well one in my case, the sound doesn't bother me) mar an otherwise kick ass port.

Sure it would be nice if there wasn't any slowdown in the game, but the fact that there is isn't going to stop me from playing the hell out of this game. I haven't even gotten past Dorter yet and I've played the game for over three hours now. I don't plan on eeking out a victory against those bloody archers and mages with pure strategy, I want to bloody well donkey punch them with some tanked squires and mages of my own.

The fact that this game is portable and thus makes my commute to and from school a little more tolerable cancels out the slowdown alone. The added characters, the gorgeous cutscenes, the fantastic localisation, the new job classes, the fact that I'll soon be playing with and against others via local wifi just push this a tiny bit over the ledge into a little place I call holyfuckawesome.

You people can debate which is the definitive version confirmed, how much or how little the technical flaws matter while I go grind me some more job classes and skillz.

nomnomnomnomnom

There is no debate to be held. This is the definitive version. Anyone who says it isn't is wrong.

Big-E

Just did the first real mission and the slowdown is really bothering me. It makes no sense to me how the emulator runs the game better. Like the translation so far and the cutscenes are well done. Still getting used to all the renamed abilities.

ethelred said:
There is no debate to be held. This is the definitive version. Anyone who says it isn't is wrong.

That was half a rant directed towards mint who keeps bringing up the framerate and just half adulation over the fact that I'm playing one of my biggest gaming addictions (over 100 hours in the original) in the palm of my hand.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I've played a good bit of it (after finishing Portal and HL2: Episode 2 of course) and the two major differences from the PSX version that I've noticed are:

- The music quality is way down. I'm playing it on my TV and on my 5.1 setup and it sounds really, really bad in some places. Maybe I'm just spoiled by listening to the OST for all these years, but it's highly annoying in some places.

- I can actually understand the story. And, much to my delight, the plot is pretty good. I'm actually engrossed in the story and that's the first time I can say that in regards to an RPG in a long, long time.

Overall though, top notch stuff. I'm grinding up my guys before the Dorter fight right now and having a blast. The original is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm glad to see it holds up over the years.

And JJ, the 1UP boards miss you. Can't blame you for leaving though, they are pretty shitty now.

Seph? I poke around from time to time but the GameFAQ-ish-ness of the new uber board causes my brain to physically recoil inside its skull casing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
jaundicejuice said:
Seph? I poke around from time to time but the GameFAQ-ish-ness of the new uber board causes my brain to physically recoil inside its skull casing.

Nah, Xeno. Seph wouldn't have the attention span to play through FFT.

And does anyone know if the Brady guide has info on the new weapons, armor, and secret characters in the game? I don't want another Zodiac Spear situation, if I miss one I'll end myself.

Ah, heya, just saw the Batman avatar and took a shot.

Edit: I think the only thing bordering on Zodiac Spear random would be the new extra characters.

Official website seems it was finally updated with wallpapers. There's a bunch of them featuring celshaded cutscene artwork. The downloads are done using Flash though and it doesn't seem to be working yet.

Sallokin

KyanMehwulfe said:
Official website seems it was finally updated with wallpapers. There's a bunch of them featuring celshaded cutscene artwork. The downloads are done using Flash though and it doesn't seem to be working yet.

Just go to this URL and you'll be able to download them directly.

el Diablo

Banned
I
f e e l
l i k e
t h e
a n i m a t i o n s
a r e
m o v i n g
a t
t h i s
p a c e. :lol

Luckily i haven't played the game since i beat it around the time it released on the PS1 so i can't remember the originals speed, pretty sure if i could it would drive me even further up the wall. My other complaint is that the game really could have used some sort of soft reset. Quitting out to the XMB then starting over gets to be a pain (gotta love it when someone gets killed right off the bat and you just know you'll be screwed the rest of the fight lol).

To be honest i don't remember the game being this hard, although i'd imagine a large part of it is how easy Jeanne was for the most part heh. I've gotten my ass handed to me no less than 10x already and i just passed the first desert mission lol. At the moment i'm in the process of doing some leveling and things are getting a tad easier (when i started the enemies were like level 7 and my generic chars were like 4-5).

The story is starting to come back to me a little as well. Kinda sucks since it's bits and pieces heh, i'd rather know exactly or not know anything.

MrDaravon

Sallokin said:
Just go to this URL and you'll be able to download them directly.

I <3 you, the first one (the cover artwork) is possibly my favorite piece of videogame artwork, that's going to be my wallpaper foreverrrrrr. The other ones are all pretty good too. I wish the artist (who's name escapes me) would put out an artbook; every time I've looked he's still never put out any type of compilation or anything. There's a few little FFT Japanese guides and stuff that have some artwork I already have, but I'd like a nice book of it, especially with the PSP re-release stuff maybe.

Pellham

Banned
I wish there was a soft reset as well, luckily the times when I've needed one have been rare so far.

Slow animations are still not bothering me, though as I unlock more jobs and fight more enemies that cast spells, it starts to drag battles a little. Still, it's such a minor blemish in an otherwise near-perfect remake.

Steroyd

Where the FUCK is my FFT they said delivery should arrive today and nothing. :(

I hope the postal strike has nothing to do with this.

mint

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I don't have to watch any youtube videos of Final Fantasy Tactics, I could just throw it into my PS3 and give it a whirl to see how the two versions compare side by side if I cared to, but I don't.
i dont care how you watch fft. i'm just saying try it and compare.

jaundicejuice said:
Sure it would be nice if there wasn't any slowdown in the game, but the fact that there is isn't going to stop me from playing the hell out of this game.

lol you type a lot of the same pointless idea.

MrDaravon

Yes mint, we get that you think it's horribly broken and crap, no one gives a fuck. Why don't you get the hell out and let us actually discuss the fucking game and not have you jump in constantly to crap the thread.

mint

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Yes mint, we get that you think it's horribly broken and crap, no one gives a fuck. Why don't you get the hell out and let us actually discuss the fucking game and not have you jump in constantly to crap the thread.
lol don't piss your pants because someone voices negative opinions.

MrDaravon

mint said:
lol don't piss your pants because someone voices negative opinions.

I've got a problem when you post your negative opinion over and over and over and then tell people who disagree they're basically fucking wrong.

mint

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
I've got a problem when you post your negative opinion over and over and over and then tell people who disagree they're basically fucking wrong.
i apologize if i mention the problem several times, but seriously, no need to get emo and personal about it.

MrDaravon

mint said:
i apologize if i mention the problem several times, but seriously, no need to get emo and personal about it.

This is EVERY single post of yours in this thread:

mint said:
I dont know, but I stopped playing. Battles are taking like 3-5 minutes longer just because of the technical slowdowns. I hope they release an international version and fix the problem.

mint said:
It's not just mages. It's the freaking whole cast.

mint said:
I'm gonna burn my psx copy onto psp just to play a proper FFT.

mint said:
comparison of holy spell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nte5Oj4uKro&mode=related&search=
(at 6:25) around 7-8sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGBSsVgi4rU (at :05) around 12-13sec.

So, roughly, 5 sec per EVERY spell, 99% of all special attacks, throughout the entire freaking game is spent on "slow motion." 5 may not be much, but since 3/4 of the time in FFT are battles, it's gonna add up.

mint said:
Heck. No. Even the most miniscule attacks (rush, steal, freaking crossbow normal attacks, tackle, list goes on and on) are gonna take an extra 3+ sec or more. I played the psp version for 15+hours, and I can definitely feel the slowdown after watching a few youtube vids of the psx fft.

mint said:
just watch any fft psx battle youtube video. it'll make you cry. and wonder with anger

mint said:
i dont care how you watch fft. i'm just saying try it and compare.

lol you type a lot of the same pointless idea.

We know you don't like it, and I'm sorry if it ruins the game for you, but there's no need to keep bringing it up. Protip: telling someone they're typing a "pointless idea" when they have a well typed-out counter argument to you makes you look like an ass.

Why am I not able to unlock the Monk class for Ramza? I got him to a level 2 knight and I don't remember having to do anything else.

MrDaravon

mint said:
good job sailor. shouldn't you be playing fft now?

I actually am playing right now, thank you for your concern. There's so much time during attack animations I have time to post.

DXMachina said:
Why am I not able to unlock the Monk class for Ramza? I got him to a level 2 knight and I don't remember having to do anything else.

IIRC that's all you should need to do, I dunno. Unless it's changed from the PS1 version I guess.

Edit: Oh. Didn't it used to be Level 2?

Aeana

jiggle said:
They upped the requirements for many of the jobs, it seems. It's not matching up to the PS1 FAQs of the game.

Not only that, the JP requirements for job levels are also higher.

Skilletor

Did they totally get rid of the quotes people would say before some skills? Been playing for 20 hours and haven't seen any. Could have been cool with the new translation.

mint

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
I actually am playing right now, thank you for your concern. There's so much time during attack animations I have time to post.
i chuckled a bit on that one. again, im sorry for being an annoyance, i'll move along now.

According to the melee battles description, the only thing that is permanently affected from the fight is JP. Does that mean I could set up a fight with someone as an easy way to amass shitloads of JP?

MrDaravon

Aeana said:
Not only that, the JP requirements for job levels are also higher.

Really? Interesting. I wish the fucking guide would come out, it got pushed back until the 15th. I don't want to get tooo far in and miss something in-case there's new one-time items or I forgot where one was. There doesn't seem to really be much of anything as far as good FAQs up or any based on the Japanese release.

Skilletor said:
Did they totally get rid of the quotes people would say before some skills? Been playing for 20 hours and haven't seen any. Could have been cool with the new translation.

Fuck, seriously? That blows. I'm only a little ways in, but I haven't seen any either. It was always random before (IIRC), so I hadn't thought much of it.

mint said:
i chuckled a bit on that one. again, im sorry for being an annoyance, i'll move along now.

I don't actually really disagree with you on your points (when the Japanese release came out I did the same comparison things and people thought I was totally crazy), but harping on it nonstop isn't constructive either. It's like the case with FF6 Advance, they both had the possibility to be the definitive version no question asked with the extra content/translation, but there were technical issues there too.

Avellon

yes, thats a great way to get your guys jobs up. Just kill off all things but one, and then use silly skills on all your guys, or attack each other to amass massive JP.

joelseph

Leave everyone as squires until you get 250 JP saved up, then buy JP+. After everyone has JP+ just goto an easy random battle, kill off all enemies but one and then go to town.

Avellon said:
yes, thats a great way to get your guys jobs up. Just kill off all things but one, and then use silly skills on all your guys, or attack each other to amass massive JP.

It's probably easier and less annoying to just send them out on jobs while you level normally.

MrDaravon

Fuuuuuuuuck, you can't steal the Genji shit from
Elmdor
anymore, they kept his Maintenance on (like they did in the original JP PS1 version, but removed for the US version). Apparently you can steal the armor from one of the new event battles, and the masamune from another (like the PS1 version), but the set is mainly intended to get through multiplayer, which fucking sucks since I don't even know anyone else with a PSP, much less the game. Now I'm kinda annoyed.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
SailorDaravon said:
Fuuuuuuuuck, you can't steal the Genji shit from
Elmdor
anymore, they kept his Maintenance on (like they did in the original JP PS1 version, but removed for the US version). Apparently you can steal the armor from one of the new event battles, and the masamune from another (like the PS1 version), but the set is mainly intended to get through multiplayer, which fucking sucks since I don't even know anyone else with a PSP, much less the game. Now I'm kinda annoyed.

Incredibly shitty... I loved my Ramza in the original decked out in his gear doing 999 a hit. :(

Top Bottom