• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

~ The Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions thread ~

jiggle

SailorDaravon said:
Fuuuuuuuuck, you can't steal the Genji shit from
Elmdor
anymore, they kept his Maintenance on (like they did in the original JP PS1 version, but removed for the US version). Apparently you can steal the armor from one of the new event battles, and the masamune from another (like the PS1 version), but the set is mainly intended to get through multiplayer, which fucking sucks since I don't even know anyone else with a PSP, much less the game. Now I'm kinda annoyed.

that sucks....i've already mastered 3 thfs and 2 yy mage (in chapter 1) to prepare for that... D: Time wasted total :/

Aeana

SailorDaravon said:
Really? Interesting. I wish the fucking guide would come out, it got pushed back until the 15th. I don't want to get tooo far in and miss something in-case there's new one-time items or I forgot where one was. There doesn't seem to really be much of anything as far as good FAQs up or any based on the Japanese release.

Yes. It's really messed up the particular way I play the game, and I didn't realize it until I got myself quasi-stuck, so I had to reload an old save to fix it. :|

It used to take 350 JP to reach level 3 in a job, now it takes 400. It seems to curve up past that, though, and I've been told that it takes 2200 JP just to reach level 7, when it only took 2100 to master a job in the original version. This, plus the new job level requirements (level 4 monk to unlock geomancer, instead of 3) really messed me up!

Steroyd

ElyrionX said:
I just got the game and goddamn is it awesome. It's definitely up there in my favourite games of all time list.

>_<

:mad:

>_>

I got an e-mail from Amazon today to tell me the ETA for my game is the 17th, never shoping from those f***tards Amazon ever again.

Demigod Mac

SpudBud said:
I'm thinking about picking this up, how bad really is the slow down?

It isn't game-breaking, and for most abilities it doesn't matter (let's face it, it's FFT portable! you'll love it regardless). There's just the occasional ability where the sound is woefully out of sync with the spell animation and you think to yourself, "How... how could they possibly let the game out in this state!? What were they thinking??".

Gafgarion's Nightsword and the Skeleton's lightning bolt are the worst offenders. The last sound occurs mid-animation and the rest of the animation finishes silently.

Big-E

Demigod Mac said:
It isn't game-breaking, and for most abilities it doesn't matter (let's face it, it's FFT portable! you'll love it regardless). There's just the occasional ability where the sound is woefully out of sync with the spell animation and you think to yourself, "How... how could they possibly let the game out in this state!? What were they thinking??".

Gafgarion's Nightsword and the Skeleton's lightning bolt are the worst offenders. The last sound occurs mid-animation and the rest of the animation finishes silently.

Ya Night Sword is really bad.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I stated it on another board but I find it kinda funny how Ramza's ability Tailwind can slow the game down but summoning Shiva doesn't effect the game at all. Uneven slow down is weird. Fortunately everything doesn't cause the game to slow down, unfortunately I think I'm going to loath using an Arithmetician to cast field wide spells.

SpudBud

Demigod Mac said:

Well, that's not too bad if it isn't too common.

Thunder Anima is kind Nightsword bad.

Nearly seven hours have been sunk into Tactics as of now and I'm slowly making my way through the first chapter, still saddled with Delita and Argath. I think I've been getting a little out of hand with the grinding; I've opened up a number of job classes now but can't effectively use them since I can't buy the appropriate equipment yet.

God I love this game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just picked it up :D :D

It's been ages though; and now that I've beaten FF12 finally, I really want to know - is there any connection between the two stories? Any continuity?

On the map it looks like the same place on Ivalice, but I havent started FFT yet and I dont recall if the empires or lands names are the same - are they drastically apart in time frame or are they only connected by universe, not history?

How is Balthier handled as an added character; does he fit or just fanservice?
Ok, im done playing 20 questions

jiggle

Montblanc from FFTA is in FFXII, and FFTA2 takes place after FFXII, but both Balthier and Luso appears in FFT. So all the games take place in relatively the same time span, but different countries (alliances) of Ivalice! Cid always tops the yearly popular name list in Ivalice...
I don't know. D:

jiggle said:
Montblanc from FFTA is in FFXII, and FFTA2 takes place after FFXII, but both Balthier and Luso appears in FFT. So all the games take place in relatively the same time span, but different countries (alliances) of Ivalice!
I don't know. D:

Attempting to establish an order or chronology that only exists, badly, because of successive games is like walking into the mouth of madness.

Evlar

Banned
jiggle said:
Montblanc from FFTA is in FFXII, and FFTA2 takes place after FFXII, but both Balthier and Luso appears in FFT. So all the games take place in relatively the same time span, but different countries (alliances) of Ivalice! Cid always tops the yearly popular name list in Ivalice...
I don't know. D:
OK. Here's my understanding.

FF12 takes place far, far before FFT, hundreds or thousands of years. For one, the races of FF12 have been driven to extinction or close to it, except humans. For another there are hints of an ancient, technologically advanced civilization in the backstory of FFT: hints including the airship graveyard and the descriptive text of Guns as being rare, long-lost technology. This technology is present-day during FF12, indicating that the ancient civilization of FFT and the world of FF12 are one and the same.

FFTA is more complicated. It is not the real Ivalice: it is a dream version created by the wishes of Mewt, a boy living in the real world (or a world much like our own) who comes to be in possession of a magical book, the Gran Grimoire. During the opening scenes of the game the characters (in the game) mention how they like Final Fantasy games, and wish they lived in one. The book actually makes that happen, creating an alternate reality Ivalice. The specific game that Marche and Mewt were thinking of when they "wished" for a new world was... FF12! The character Montblanc, the clans, races (viera, bangaa, nu mou, moogles), jagd, and so forth all exist because the Book attempted to create a world like FF12, the game. Yes, this implies that the events of FFTA occur AFTER FF12 was released in Japan, so presumably in wintertime during one of the past two years, or this coming winter. However, in all other ways the world of Ivalice from FFTA is unrelated to the Ivalice of FFT and FF12. It is a fiction based upon a second fiction.

I... don't know that I care for these changes that people are talking about. Increased points to level up jobs? Lack of ability shouts? No stealing the sweet equipment from that dude? I'm definitely still excited about the stuff that is new and cool in this version, but I can't actually think of a reason why any of those things would be more fun than the alternative.

Ceb

The Sphinx said:
OK. Here's my understanding.

FF12 takes place far, far before FFT, hundreds or thousands of years. For one, the races of FF12 have been driven to extinction or close to it, except humans. For another there are hints of an ancient, technologically advanced civilization in the backstory of FFT: hints including the airship graveyard and the descriptive text of Guns as being rare, long-lost technology. This technology is present-day during FF12, indicating that the ancient civilization of FFT and the world of FF12 are one and the same.

FFTA is more complicated. It is not the real Ivalice: it is a dream version created by the wishes of Mewt, a boy living in the real world (or a world much like our own) who comes to be in possession of a magical book, the Gran Grimoire. During the opening scenes of the game the characters (in the game) mention how they like Final Fantasy games, and wish they lived in one. The book actually makes that happen, creating an alternate reality Ivalice. The specific game that Marche and Mewt were thinking of when they "wished" for a new world was... FF12! The character Montblanc, the clans, races (viera, bangaa, nu mou, moogles), jagd, and so forth all exist because the Book attempted to create a world like FF12, the game. Yes, this implies that the events of FFTA occur AFTER FF12 was released in Japan, so presumably in wintertime during one of the past two years, or this coming winter. However, in all other ways the world of Ivalice from FFTA is unrelated to the Ivalice of FFT and FF12. It is a fiction based upon a second fiction.

They reference FFIV's Baron in one of the treasure hunts. I wouldn't stress trying to find connections just because a lot of references and cameos pop up in the Ivalice games.

Demigod Mac

SpudBud said:
Well, that's not too bad if it isn't too common.

It's very common. Happens on any ability with spell animations (Potions, even). It's just that the slowdown isn't as noticeable on abilities that happen fairly quickly.

If the spell has a windup animation, it's really bad. If the spell effect hits quickly and fades out (like Fire and Thunder), it's not too bad.

I wonder why it happens. Could it be the bit depth? Jeanne d'Arc was 16-bit and had a lot of dithering artifacts, but little slowdown. Is the PSP's fill rate being stressed with all the transparency effects of FFT?

Ceb said:
They reference FFIV's Baron in one of the treasure hunts. I wouldn't stress trying to find connections just because a lot of references and cameos pop up in the Ivalice games.

Right, but, uh, FFT and FF12 (and Vagrant Story) are intended to have an (admittedly vague) storyline connection to one another, while the Baron thing is really just a throwaway reference.

Pellham

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Fuuuuuuuuck, you can't steal the Genji shit from
Elmdor
anymore, they kept his Maintenance on (like they did in the original JP PS1 version, but removed for the US version). Apparently you can steal the armor from one of the new event battles, and the masamune from another (like the PS1 version), but the set is mainly intended to get through multiplayer, which fucking sucks since I don't even know anyone else with a PSP, much less the game. Now I'm kinda annoyed.

That sucks, but at least I don't have to spend 5-6 hours trying to steal his equipment like I did in the original.

It used to take 350 JP to reach level 3 in a job, now it takes 400. It seems to curve up past that, though, and I've been told that it takes 2200 JP just to reach level 7, when it only took 2100 to master a job in the original version. This, plus the new job level requirements (level 4 monk to unlock geomancer, instead of 3) really messed me up!

50 JP, that's like two or three uses of Focus. 100 would be 4-6. That's really not that big of a deal if you're grinding.

The job level requirements are a pain though, my guys are like nearing level 30 and I've barely got samurai unlocked. I'm trying to unlock mime ASAP for my guys so their future levels aren't gimped (I don't plan on spending hours doing deleveling).

Were they really though, or was it just retconned after Matsuno left in order to better market the "Ivalice Alliance".

The only confirmation I've ever seen didn't start until the IA project started, and they first released that timeline after FF XII had released (in that... big Japanese info book.. I forget the technical name for them).

Up until then, I had always just thought any Ivalice connections were just like chocobos and Bahamut -- something Matsuno liked to make reappear in various forms, reference, etc.

ethelred

KyanMehwulfe said:
Were they really though, or was it just retconned after Matsuno left in order to better market the "Ivalice Alliance".

The only confirmation I've ever seen didn't start until the IA project started, and they first released that timeline after FF XII had released (in that... big Japanese info book.. I forget the technical name for them).

Up until then, I had always just thought any Ivalice connections were just like chocobos and Bahamut -- something Matsuno liked to make reappear in various forms, reference, etc.

No, I think there was definitely an intention on Matsuno's part to tie the various Ivalice games he created (as in, not FFXII: RW or FFT A2 or whatever else is in the works) together... loosely, at least. Mentioning Agrias in Vagrant Story, heavily mentioning Valendia (of Vagrant Story) in FFXII, having FFTA take place in FFXII... various things like that.

Sallokin

I absolutely cannot believe how much of this game I've forgotten. The closing battle for chapter one is completely awesome and the translation is oh so fucking good.

ethelred

The one thing I'm reeeeaaaallly not liking about the translation is the fact that they keep referring to "gods," not "God." Everything about the world and religion of FFT was structurally set up to mirror monotheistic organized religion and I don't like that they're using the retranslation to alter the substance of the game for the sake of what I can only assume is a desire not to offend people.

Sallokin

ethelred said:
The one thing I'm reeeeaaaallly not liking about the translation is the fact that they keep referring to "gods," not "God." Everything about the world and religion of FFT was structurally set up to mirror monotheistic organized religion and I don't like that they're using the retranslation to alter the substance of the game for the sake of what I can only assume is a desire not to offend people.

This is something I actually overlooked until my g/f brought it up as not being like that in the original. Just shows how long it's actually been since I've played I guess. Some of the changes are a little wince worthy at times, but overall (and compared to the original) I'm so in love with the tone and style of new dialog.

Kyoufu

Come on guys, lets stop pretending that FFT is near FFXII's or any other Ivalice game's timeline simply because Balthier/Montblanc make cameo appearances. So does Luso and hey guess what, CLOUD! I'd like someone explain to me how Cloud managed to find his way here, oh wait, thats right, THE GAME MUST BE NEAR FFVII's TIMELINE!

Anyways, thanks to the postal strike here in England, I've been without this game :(

Pellham

Banned
ethelred said:

So let me guess, Funeral isn't a Pope in this version?

Yeah, political correctness for the lose.

Come on guys, lets stop pretending that FFT is near FFXII's or any other Ivalice game's timeline simply because Balthier/Montblanc make cameo appearances. So does Luso and hey guess what, CLOUD! I'd like someone explain to me how Cloud managed to find his way here, oh wait, thats right, THE GAME MUST BE NEAR FFVII's TIMELINE!

Wow, even Square Enix has said this was part of the timeline of the other games. Are you people that dense to deny these things?

tokkun

ethelred said:

I don't know if political correctness is the motivation. FFXII and FFT both borrow heavily from A Song of Ice and Fire in phrasing and vocabulary, and those books have a polytheistic society. I think "gods" might have just carried over from there.

I'm not very far, though, so I don't know if any of the actual religious story elements have been altered.

tokkun

Pellham said:
Wow, even Square Enix has said this was part of the timeline of the other games. Are you people that dense to deny these things?

Did Matsuno say that, or is this historical revisionism?

Personally, I've always felt that his Ivalice games were only meant to be vaguely tied together.

So what's the trick to amassing JP? I'm
fighting Weigraf
and my characters just feel, well, lame. I've done a fair amount of battling outside the main story, but I don't feel like any of my units are progressing very much.

ethelred

tokkun said:
I don't know if political correctness is the motivation. FFXII and FFT both borrow heavily from A Song of Ice and Fire in phrasing and vocabulary, and those books have a polytheistic society. I think "gods" might have just carried over from there.

I'm not very far, though, so I don't know if any of the actual religious story elements have been altered.

If you change Ivalice from monotheistic to polytheistic, that is changing a major story element. It's part of the world, part of the story, part of the culture. It's a central element of the religious mythology the entire game is based upon -- and right now I'm really worried what it's going to look like when I get to The Book.

I don't know, maybe it's the way it is because they took it from a book series instead of because they were trying to be PC (I'm skeptical) -- it doesn't matter though. That wouldn't make it any better. It's still a massive alteration to the story. Martin's religions are extremely well developed within his writing and they inform every part of his story and world; it was the same with Ivalice.

This is exactly the sort of thing that shouldn't be tampered with in a localization or re-localization. It'd be like if someone did a retranslation of Tactics Ogre and purged the ethnic cleansing from the game or mucked around with one of the three primary religions covered as a central element of that storyline.

tokkun

DXMachina said:
So what's the trick to amassing JP? I'm
fighting Weigraf
and my characters just feel, well, lame. I've done a fair amount of battling outside the main story, but I don't feel like any of my units are progressing very much.

Get the JP Up skill from the Squire class on your characters.
Go into a random battle, kill all but one enemy and wound that enemy until it runs and hides. Then keep doing abilities that buff your stats since you'll gain JP each time.
If you're winning a battle handily, you can attack your own teammates to gain JP.

tokkun

ethelred said:
If you change Ivalice from monotheistic to polytheistic, that is changing a major story element. It's part of the world, part of the story, part of the culture. It's a central element of the religious mythology the entire game is based upon -- and right now I'm really worried what it's going to look like when I get to The Book.

I agree 100%, I'm just saying that it might not be intentional. It may be that there are later characters who refer to a monotheistic God, too. I think it's realistic to expect that some characters are more devout than others. I think if they were trying to be PC, they wouldn't use terms like "whoresons", but I guess we'll see later on. Religion is more of a hotbutton topic these days than it was when the PSX version came out :/

KZObsessed

I got my copy today! This is the first time I've ever played the game and WOW! Its incredible, I sunk 7 straight hours into today, couldn't put it down! I got no work done today at all.. which is great!

Just a couple of questions for those who've played it before:

* Does it have a New Game + option so I could play it again in the future?
* I was just reading some posts about Genji armour you have to steal, are there any other important/special items that you only have one chance to get that I should be aware of? I hate missing secrets!

tokkun said:
FFXII and FFT both borrow heavily from A Song of Ice and Fire in phrasing and vocabulary, and those books have a polytheistic society. I think "gods" might have just carried over from there.

I don't know about that. I think it's just that they're both borrowing from actual past speech. While Martin's first couple books came out before Vagrant Story, I really didn't see much influence there. It's just prototypically "ye olde timey"--sometimes too much so. And the FFXII and new FFT translations are just extensions of the style Smith established with Vagrant Story.

Edited to add: There's very few items you only have one chance to steal, but there's a decent amount of times you can steal better equipment than is buyable (or than is affordable). I often keep an NPC with Steal and start the battle looking for rich targets. Named enemies are more likely to carry great stuff, though stealing from them is usually harder.

Also, stealing weapons you don't even need is great fun. Nothing like burly enemy knights reduced to punching and rock throwing! Couple extra gil, too.

ethelred

Liabe Brave said:
I don't know about that. I think it's just that they're both borrowing from actual past speech. While Martin's first couple books came out before Vagrant Story, I really didn't see much influence there. It's just prototypically "ye olde timey"--sometimes too much so. And the FFXII and new FFT translations are just extensions of the style Smith established with Vagrant Story.

The use of "ser" is a dead giveaway of Martin's influence.

ethelred said:
The use of "ser" is a dead giveaway of Martin's influence.

Ah, they do that in Tactics? I don't remember it in FF XII, and a search of two different script versions on Gamefaqs didn't turn it up either.

MrDaravon

Pellham said:

As I understand it's confirmed that these take place in the same world, but timewise hundreds of years or more apart. I think what he's saying is that Balthier, Luso, and Cloud's appearances shouldn't be taken as canon, given the obvious impossibility due to the time differences. If you've got a quote from S-E anywhere stating that Balthier, Luso, and Cloud being in FFT is canon and there is a rational explanation for it, I'd like to see it (seriously).

Edit: Scan from the official FFXII Ultimania Omega book confirms FFT and FFXII in the same world (obviously), but at different times, with FFT being after FFXII.

Ivalice-time.jpg

The timeline of Ivalice in Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII, provided by Square Enix's official guide book, Final Fantasy XII Ultimania Omega. Translation is as follows:

Final Fantasy XII History (brown)

* 1st Upper Box: Unknown Era - The Occuria reside in Giruvegan.
* 2nd Upper Box: Old Valendia 1 - Establishment of the Galtean Federation.
* 3rd Upper Box: Old Valendia 394 - The Galtean Federation breaks apart.
* 4th Upper Box: Old Valendia 706 - Final Fantasy XII takes place.
* 5th Upper Box: Several decades after Old Valendia 706 - Female St Ajora establishes a new religion.

Grey box: Are they the same person?

Final Fantasy Tactics History (blue)

* 1st Lower Box: Unknown Era - 12 Knights kills a demon, and rescues Ivalice.
* 2nd Lower Box: 1200 years before the Middle Ages - St Ajora establishes the Glabados religion.
* 3rd Lower Box: Unknown Era - A catastrophe befalls the civilization at this age.
* 4th Lower Box: Middle Ages - Final Fantasy Tactics takes place.

You could arguably debate FFT taking a place about 500+ years after FFXII based on the distances on the timeline, but there's no confirmation either way on the exact number of years. Vagrant Story appears to be chronologically after FFT based on the fact there's a quote from Durai in it, which would place it at least 400 years after FFT.

It kinda sucks since now that Matsuno is gone, any grand vision he had for Ivalice as a whole is kinda fucked.

ethelred

SailorDaravon said:
It kinda sucks since now that Matsuno is gone, any grand vision he had for Ivalice as a whole is kinda fucked.

Welcome to the world Ogre Battle Saga fans have been living in for years now.

MrDaravon

ethelred said:
Welcome to the world Ogre Battle Saga fans have been living in for years now.

Didn't S-E buy the rights to that? Why the hell haven't they done anything with it? Also wasn't Ogre Battle 64 done by someone other than Matsuno anyway?

B.K.

But isn't the Ogre Battle world and Ivalice the same? March of the Black Queen had
the Zodiac Stones
in it.

Pellham

Banned
tokkun said:
Did Matsuno say that, or is this historical revisionism?

Personally, I've always felt that his Ivalice games were only meant to be vaguely tied together.

Vagrant Story was a definate "sequel" to FFT. Matsuno originally had the game series as the Zodiac Brave Story, with FFT being the 3rd episode, and I can't remember which episode# Vagrant Story was, but it was set sometime after FFT.

Now draw the logical conclusions here. FFTA was produced by Matsuno, and FF12 has an obvious relationship with FFTA. FFT/VS/FF12 all use the same world map. Obviously Matsuno was behind everything.

Everything Ivalice-related going forward, though, is going to be as related to Matsuno's original vision as the three Ogre games that were made after he left Quest in 1995.

If you've got a quote from S-E anywhere stating that Balthier, Luso, and Cloud being in FFT is canon and there is a rational explanation for it, I'd like to see it (seriously).

No I don't, but I meant what you described in your post anyway. Obviously Luso and Balthier appearing in FFT are ludicrous fanservice, but the games still take place in the same universe. I thought the guy was trying to deny that they were in the same universe.

But isn't the Ogre Battle world and Ivalice the same? March of the Black Queen had the Zodiac Stones in it.

There's been a lot of fan speculation that FFT's story was originally going to be one of the earlier Ogre Battle episodes (possibly the 3rd episode) but it's never been confirmed. In either case, the two series are not related, as the Ogre Battle series takes place in the real world and Ivalice takes place in Ivalice.

tokkun

Liabe Brave said:

Not Vagrant Story, but FFXII and FFT. The references are glaring in my opinion. "Manse", "mummers", "sellswords", those are not commonly used words. Have you ever heard the phrase "mummer's farce" used in anything besides FFXII and ASoIaF? They even refer to Basche as "Kingslayer" once in FFXII.

MrDaravon

tokkun said:
Not Vagrant Story, but FFXII and FFT. The references are glaring in my opinion. "Manse", "mummers", "sellswords", those are not commonly used words. Have you ever heard the phrase "mummer's farce" used in anything besides FFXII and ASoIaF? They even refer to Basche as "Kingslayer" once in FFXII.

Except for "mummers" I've read seen all of those words in fantasy books looooooong before ASoIaF. It's hard to say without someone having the Japanese version who can directly compare though as far as a direct influence/change.

ethelred

Pellham said:
There's been a lot of fan speculation that FFT's story was originally going to be one of the earlier Ogre Battle episodes (possibly the 3rd episode) but it's never been confirmed. In either case, the two series are not related, as the Ogre Battle series takes place in the real world and Ivalice takes place in Ivalice.

It's not really in the real world.

Top Bottom