• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
nelsonroyale said:
They could arrange themselves seemlessly...which I would kind of like, but, yeah, versus should give you what you want...I suppose I forgive such aspects in this game because there is another game which should offer a fully real time battle system, which could far eclipse FFXII...I mean versus is supposed to be real time and fast paced, with a party system...could be amazing

There is no way they could have the characters re-arrange their positions seamlessly without making it look wrong. The characters would come in contact with one another, then run to specific positions without attacking one another. It would look crazy. Also like in the case of the boss and the behemoth, if you are behind him it would look dumb if the character ran all the way around him to get to the proper position so that they are all aligned properly.

Awntawn

Rpgmonkey said:
Well I didn't mean that this means the final game will have longer loading or something. :p

Just that there does seem to be some kind of technical reason as part of why they didn't design the game for entirely seamless fights and would do something like remove things not involved in the fight, as you said.
in game design, with finite hardware specifications, everything has technical limitations; it's all about design choices. the ps2 has 32mbs of ram, and they were able to include seamless battles, the thing is that they had to make sacrifices and compromises in order to do so. one example would be how every zone in the game was designated as either a combat zone or a non-combat zone. if they really wanted to implement the same system in ffxiii, they could, the question is do they want to make the same sacrifices that they did in 12 to do so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Teknoman said:
Better come this week. Im getting paranoid now.

Like I said, Play-Asia standard shipping takes 2 weeks, and it sucks :/ Had to wait that long for both Dissidia Final Fantasy and White Knight Chronicles because I wanted to be cheap.

Teknoman

Kagari said:
Like I said, Play-Asia standard shipping takes 2 weeks, and it sucks :/ Had to wait that long for both Dissidia Final Fantasy and White Knight Chronicles because I wanted to be cheap.

Next time something like this comes around, im just going to drop the extra for quick shipping :lol

Darkpen

Banned
I just noticed that the behemoth down below the highway ramming into a bunch of guys in the one segment where camera control is taken away from you. Was watching the gamersyde vid; never noticed it before :<

KTallguy

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
There is no way they could have the characters re-arrange their positions seamlessly without making it look wrong. The characters would come in contact with one another, then run to specific positions without attacking one another. It would look crazy. Also like in the case of the boss and the behemoth, if you are behind him it would look dumb if the character ran all the way around him to get to the proper position so that they are all aligned properly.

I think for something like the behemoth boss running at you, it would need to transition to the battle first like it already does, and then play a short event scene.

So it would be:

1. Behemoth runs at you.
2. Transition.
3. Show Behemoth continue to run and the party dodges, turns around.
4. Battle continues as normal.

The problem with doing it like this is that it's a fuckton of work.
I personally don't care if they leave it how it currently is.

That fucking Knight dashing at me was awesome the first time though.

&#12418;&#12358;&#12362;&#12381;&#12356;&#12382;&#65281; daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatatatatata

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They don't have to do the transition, they did it right with the saw boss at the beginning, no need for the flash transition for that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Do we have a "scientific" explanation about how the Break system works?

I've played the demo countless times trying to figure out how it works and I still don't quite get it. Looks random but there has to be a logic behind it.

I noticed it happens mostly when chaining an attack with a party member but it doesn't work all the time. At times, I trigger it with a simple combo all by myself (bar goes from around 10% to Full/Break in two hits). Perhaps there are enemy specific combos that trigger the Break "status"?

GAF, teach me please.

KTallguy

Banned
I was gonna do this but I forgot until TTP posted.

---splurge from another forum---

The battle system is really fun. Basically they've completely reinvented everything.

There's no MP. Magic can be used without using up any kind of in game currency. For example, Cure spells are automatically used by party members when your health dips into below half (Yellow HP), and they seem to use it more aggressively when it dips into 1/4 (Red HP). You can also manually cure, but the demo is a bit too easy to necessitate that except on the last boss of the demo. The way healing is in the demo, it's very difficult to die, but the focus appears to be doing well in battle, rather than living or dying.

Currently you only control one character at a time, because the game is extremely fast. I bet that in the full game you control one character at a time but use the LR buttons to give the other characters preset commands. Because there is a flag next to the controlled character's name you can assume that switching is possible.

The AP bar is broken into three sections, and a standard action takes only one of those sections. You can choose to do a single action, two in a row, or three in a row. This means that you can choose to only wait for one section of the AP bar to fill up if you want to quickly attack or use a magic spell, or wait for the entire thing to fill up if you want to do longer strings of attacks.

The animations and timing of the attacks differ depending on how you put them together. For example, if I use "fight" x3, Lightning will do two sword slices and then flip backwards and shoot with her gun. However, large enemy attacks can interrupt you, so it may be advantageous to do fight X2, because when Lightning finishes an attack she automatically does a flip backwards. On the first boss, for example, there is a broad slashing attack that he only does in a short range in front of him. If I do "Fight" X3, he will hit me in the middle of the action, and I'll lose all of the AP that I used to initiate the command. However if I do "fight" X2, chances are that she'll finish the attack before his attack can connect, and she'll quickly flip out of the way and back to her starting position, effectively dodging the attack. When you mix magic and attacks, it all comes out relatively naturally.

Certain actions take more AP. For example, Firaga takes 3 AP, using the entire bar at once. Firaga also is an area of effect spell and launches everyone into the air, stunning them for a bit.

Your entire AP bar fills very quickly, so you are constantly entering commands, and you will have to think quickly. I imagine that there will be some kind of mode where you slow down time, because the pace seems too fast for your average FF player.

The battle concept revolves around "Breaking enemies". Breaking an enemy requires the following:

1. First, use a single magic attack on an enemy to fill their "combo meter" (for lack of a better term) on the top right corner. The bar will slowly deplete over time.

2. Then, attack as normal. I prefer to do 1 "Fight" or 2 "Fights", as 3 in a row seems slow. Your buddies will attack with you.

3. While that bar is depleting, any attacks that hit will add to the "Chain Attack" number. However if the "combo meter" fully depletes, you'll be back at zero chain. "Fight" only slightly increase the combo meter, so if the bar is depleting you'll need to throw in a magic attack to refill it.

4. When the "Chain Attack" number is nearing the enemy's limit, they will start to glow a bit yellow. When the "Chain Attack" has reached the enemy's limit, there will be a small explosion effect and the enemy will be "broken" and glowing red. Depending on the enemy, the necessary "Chain Attack" number will be lower (zako) or higher (boss). The "Combo Meter" will change to the "Break Meter", it will completely fill, and start steadily counting down over time.

5. A broken enemy has different properties from a non broken enemy:

- Takes more damage according to the multiplier on the top right (up to 300%!)

- Has a much longer hit reaction animation (non-broken enemies barely react when you hit them)

- Smaller enemies can be launched with &#25171;&#12385;&#19978;&#12370; (Launch), and then any subsequent air juggle attacks will do big damage. The enemy is helpless until they hit the ground and do their loooong get up animation. Also you are safe because you are up in the air, far away from other enemies.

The game rates you after battle on a 1-5 star scale, and also tracks how quickly you won, as well as the highest chain. Once you get good at chaining you can have 60+ hit chains on bosses, and quickly kill them with 300% damage bonuses and what have you.

So yes, this battle system is a complete overhaul and I really really like it. I think that there's awesome potential for difficult bosses that require both timing and strategy. Although "Breaking" works how I described it above in the demo that's out, I imagine that different enemies will need to be broken in different ways, and figuring out that strategy will be the key to defeating bosses/tough enemies. It's a very gutsy move to change up the entire system so much, but I am very happy with it and I can't wait to see what it's like in the full game.

Also battle transitions are not at random, they happen when you touch an enemy, and they take less than 3 seconds before you're in battle entering commands.

Sorry for the length ^^

-------

Did You Enjoy?

TheChillyAcademic said:
Ok that was funny as fuck.

"Oh no don't go."

To be honest, I liked the guy who did Snow's voice. Made him sound sexah :D

I found his voice monotonous and amaturish...but of course it was an amature attempt so its no big deal...still you are open to criticism when you throw things out there

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
nelsonroyale said:
I found his voice monotonous and amaturish...but of course it was an amature attempt so its no big deal...still you are open to criticism when you throw things out there

You know, I think that was the point.

rocK`

Banned
So, I bought the ACC from MamesJ, is there anyway to get english menus/subtitles in the demo? not a big deal, I can figure my way through the demo, just curious

edit: lol.

SecretBonusPoint said:
It seems the battle system uses the Panzer Dragoon Saga concept or something similar of the AP bar? Am I correct?

Because that interests me.
This is what I thought upon first seeing the battle system in motion. However, now that I've played it, it isn't very similar to Panzer Dragoon Saga. The only similarity is the AP bar, but -- really, you could just say it's an extended version of the ATB system.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rocK` said:
So, I bought the ACC from MamesJ, is there anyway to get english menus/subtitles in the demo? not a big deal, I can figure my way through the demo, just curious

edit: lol.

Nope, but there's a translation of all the battle commands in the OP.

U K Narayan said:
This is what I thought upon first seeing the battle system in motion. However, now that I've played it, it isn't very similar to Panzer Dragoon Saga. The only similarity is the AP bar, but -- really, you could just say it's an extended version of the ATB system.

Yeah, I only meant how the AP bar worked. Panzer Saga was a great system, with benefits for just dodging with 3 full bars, massive spells taking all 3, or saving 3 for quick successive sniper shots. Between it and Grandia 2/3's battle system, I have yet to see the turn based jRPG battle system bettered.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Yeah, I only meant how the AP bar worked. Panzer Saga was a great system, with benefits for just dodging with 3 full bars, massive spells taking all 3, or saving 3 for quick successive sniper shots. Between it and Grandia 2/3's battle system, I have yet to see the turn based jRPG battle system bettered.
Likewise. Really brilliant stuff.

I loved this demo! I got through without dying first time, which was nice :) What can I say that hasn't been already? I love the flexible turn system where MP is replaced merely with time to charge the attacks, love the incredible visuals... It's gonna be awesome. Loved how long the demo was too!

Lucis

FINALLY got my copy
Def will have to do next day shipping next time.
Watched VS trailer 5 times and agito 3 times and time to go to work lol
With VS around, I have to say i am not very hyped about XIII anymore.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got my copy from YesAsia yesterday FINALLY.
Only got a small chance to try it out, was very confused by the battle system. Too much stuff going on!
Thanks KTallGuy, that really cleared a few things up. I was wondering where the MP meter was! :)

-PXG-

A co-worker brought his copy to the store yesterday. We all got to try it out. I love the combat system. He ordered another one for me, and selling it for $50 :D

LiK

Die Squirrel Die said:
Other than what's seems like a longer recovery time, were there any other benefits to launching?

i liked when Sazh was shooting them when they were tumbling back down :D

inner-G said:
I believe you do more damage in midair.

Generally you do more damage when ending a combo with mid air damage. When your allies add to mid air attacks, the damage they do isn't amplified however.

Great to see more people have received the game (demo), looking for impressions!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kirashi said:
FINALLY got my copy
Def will have to do next day shipping next time.
Watched VS trailer 5 times and agito 3 times and time to go to work lol
With VS around, I have to say i am not very hyped about XIII anymore.

The trailer is good, but they should have included the others that have been shown. Still waiting to see the field movement footage :|

Thrakier

Vinci said:
Did the use of MP in past games make it easy to die in them? FF isn't known for its difficulty.

Not? I found them always challenging but not frustrating. If you can't loose there is no challenge at all...I don't know if I like that.

Top Bottom