• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Lain said:
That answer is kinda scary. Seems like developers are unaware that, if space is there, many people would prefer to have both languages (just as we get both original and dubs on our DVD/BRD movies).

Yep, the US producer of White Knight Chronicles replied to a question about dual audio in a similar way (mentioning that he didn't know people outside of Japan were interested in Japanese voice acting). I guess as the long lead up to the US release continues interviewers can keep hammering them on this issue until they get the picture.

spwolf

KTallguy said:
You'd be surprised how much politics plays into this whole dual sku/dual language deal.

yeah, seems like it is an issue with providing exactly same content in both ps3/360 versions...

Durante

KTallguy said:
You'd be surprised how much politics plays into this whole dual sku/dual language deal.
Please explain, I've been looking for a real reason why this is still not standard for a long time. (Since the technical explanations were very shaky last gen and are mostly laughable in this one) Maybe it also explains the strange way some publishers treat the issue? (eg. Namco doing dual in ES, then not doing it in the US release of ToV, and apparently doing it again in the EU release...).

Edit: oh, I see you were probably specifically talking about the PS3/360 situation with FF13. I can see the "problem" there.

Shadow780

LiK said:
please have English dub only :p

8xua85.jpg

Eccocid said:
What really bugs me in FFX is (especially after playing FF XII), character animations in cutscenes and world map. They always have this weird pause between their body movements and expressions. As if they are puppets or something. Also in vpice acting too

HEY actually this is very common in games which BUGS me a lot! They never talk at the same time! I hate when each character waits for others to finish their sentence and start talking. Even in a scene with some crisis going on they always talk in turns which makes it to fake.

Part of the reason it's like this is that they don't record the VAs all together. The woman who played Ashe, for instance, never met any of the rest of the cast.

This won't be any different for FF13, it's too difficult to get them all together at once.

Durante

U K Narayan said:
As long as the English is as good as Final Fantasy XII's, I'll be fine.
I agree actually. FF12's is the only JRPG dub ever that I'm fully satisfied with. (I also think that having the original audio is less important in a FF game than in some of the (even) more japanese or anime-ish stuff like Gust games or Tales or Persona.)

Hobbun

Durante said:
I agree actually. FF12's is the only JRPG dub ever that I'm fully satisfied with. (I also think that having the original audio is less important in a FF game than in some of the (even) more japanese or anime-ish stuff like Gust games or Tales or Persona.)

What about Valkyria Chronicles? From what I remember, you loved that game. You didn't like the VA for it? I thought it was great.

God. Japanese developers are so out of touch.

First it was "I heard releasing downloadable demos is the hip thing to do these days,"

and now "There are people who want both localizations on the disc?!?!?!"

Durante

Hobbun said:
What about Valkyria Chronicles? From what I remember, you loved that game. You didn't like the VA for it? I thought it was great.
I played it with the original VA. Having dual audio is one of the many things that make it great :p
(For the record, I tried the dub, and it's good. But that is a different category from FF12's)

RaijinFY

Mr. Wonderful said:

First it was "I heard releasing downloadable demos is the hip thing to do these days,"

Scary indeed...

Dunlop

I think these people make these quotes and then place bets with each other on who can get the most meltdowns on GAF

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hobbun said:

The english dub of Valkyria Chronicles is wonderful, the only problem is the poorly done script that made it sound awkward and odd at times.

Hobbun

Durante said:
I played it with the original VA. Having dual audio is one of the many things that make it great :p
(For the record, I tried the dub, and it's good. But that is a different category from FF12's)

Hmm, ok.

I guess it goes back to what I said earlier in that apparently I am not as selective or critical as others in regards to VA. I mean I still really like the song that Luna sung on the boat in SSC. Even though VO's were relatively new then.

Hobbun

Hcoregamer00 said:
The english dub of Valkyria Chronicles is wonderful, the only problem is the poorly done script that made it sound awkward and odd at times.

Really?

I guess it's one of those things I did not notice. I thought the writing and VO's were great.

Shadow780

Hobbun said:
Really?

I guess it's one of those things I did not notice. I thought the writing and VO's were great.

If you listened to the original VA, the text translation sometimes are very different from JP dialogues, only contextually correct. But it feels like there's two transcripts going at once sometimes.

inner-G

Banned
Shadow780 said:
If you listened to the original VA, the text translation sometimes are very different from JP dialogues, only contextually correct. But it feels like there's two transcripts going at once sometimes.
Yeah it bugged the shit out of me to play VC in JP with subs, i went back to just the dub.

Not that it was a BAD dub, it was just,.. different. I paying more attention to discrepancies between the dialog than I was to the game, lol.

U K Narayan said:
As long as the English is as good as Final Fantasy XII's, I'll be fine.

Agreed, but his answer is a bit imbecilic... I mean the game is a Japanese product, with that in mind much of the way the characters gesticulate is in a pretty Japanese manner, so it can seem more natural in the original language...also, flaws are always more evident when you understand everything...but yeah, if its FFXII level, I will definitely play it in English...hell, I enjoyed FFX english VA, so its very likely I will play it in English

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiK said:
please have English dub only :p

It's okay, I still love you.

And they should include dual audio in this day and age. If "space" is an issue for the other version, maybe they need to think about that again, cause Lost Odyssey had a JP track, didn't it?

Zoe

Shadow780 said:

Dubtitles.

It's understandable though. It's harder to pull off multiple scripts with a game than with an anime.

LiK

Kagari said:
It's okay, I still love you.

And they should include dual audio in this day and age. If "space" is an issue for the other version, maybe they need to think about that again, cause Lost Odyssey had a JP track, didn't it?

<3

Lost Odyssey has FIVE tracks: English, Japanese, French, Italian, German :)

LiK said:
yup, and the Asian version of LO had THREE. English, Japanese and Korean.

i'm not sure why FFXIII wouldn't be able to have two.

Other, recent Square developed/published games haven't had multiple voice tracks.

LiK

vandalvideo said:
Other, recent Square developed/published games haven't had multiple voice tracks.

i know, but FFXIII is different! :p

actually, i wonder if it's because they don't want people importing the different versions...

Kagari said:
Last Remnant PC did.

I feel kind of ripped off now. First I get the incredibly laggy version, and now I find out the PC version had JP VO? This makes me sad.

LiK said:

actually, i wonder if it's because they don't want people importing the different versions...

Well....the PS3 is region free and all.

LiK said:

You have to wonder how many people, looking specifically from SE's point of view, really want dual audio. For that matter, as easy at it may be to include the audio on a BR disc, what about the X360 version?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
vandalvideo said:
I feel kind of ripped off now. First I get the incredibly laggy version, and now I find out the PC version had JP VO? This makes me sad.

They were considering dual audio for the mythical PS3 release according to a previous interview... but yeah...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
vandalvideo said:

Eh everything is better on PC unless its RE4

LiK

vandalvideo said:
Well....the PS3 is region free and all.

of course, i'm just saying that S-E might want the hardcore to double-dip. who knows...

TheChillyAcademic said:
You have to wonder how many people, looking specifically from SE's point of view, really want dual audio. For that matter, as easy at it may be to include the audio on a BR disc, what about the X360 version?

considering that the 360 version is nonexistent for Japan, an English only dub for the overseas market isn't that big of a deal, imo. but for the PS3 which has the space to include both languages, i don't see why thay can't include both tracks for the international release.

LiK said:
considering that the 360 version is nonexistent for Japan, an English only dub for the overseas market isn't that big of a deal, imo. but for the PS3 which has the space to include both languages, i don't see why thay can't include both tracks for the international release.

Very good point.

i h8 u

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
LiK said:
<3

Lost Odyssey has FIVE tracks: English, Japanese, French, Italian, German :)
How much dialogue was there in that game?

Mr. Wonderful said:

It all sounds like, "There's a market outside of Japan??"

If they were to release Both the Japanese and English Audio in NA, they would probably put both the Japanese and English audio in the PS3 disc, and have the Japanese audio as DLC in the Xbox 360 version, this is what I think they should do.

Top Bottom