• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Raist

Banned
Hobbun said:
Actually, FF VII International is just a fancy title for the version of FF VII in NA, from what I understand. And that release is again, only for Japan.

"Slacking" is an understatement for PS3/PSN releases. But it makes me wonder if that has more to do with SE, than with SCEA. I am guessing SCEA.

Nah, the International versions have started with FFVII and were released in JPN only after (and being identical to) the EU versions. It's been like that for every FF title since then, except for FFXII IIRC, which was the same in EU than in JPN/EU :/

Square's recent big name games usually have at least acceptable voice acting. The Kingdom Hearts games are still the best they put out though. But that probably has something to do with Disney helping them with the casting.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheChillyAcademic said:
Be wary friend...FFXII had a phenomenal translation and the voice acting was definitely a marked improvement over FFX, but the echo laced sound the dialog had was a tad off putting.

The "echo" was probably a result of the amount of data that was crammed into the disc (they actually added more voice acting to scenes that didn't have any in the Japanese release). The music quality in the game is also disappointing if you compare it to the one in the OST.

LiK said:
FFX had a GOOD English dub. don't be so harsh guys. :lol

No, it didn't.

LiK

Kagari said:
It probably can, the question would be, if Square USA would put it in there.

also depends on the encoding for the audio. audio files can take up a lot of space but if they can do it, i hope they can so purists can be happy.

Regulus Tera said:
yea, i agree.

fixed. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
The "echo" was probably a result of the amount of data that was crammed into the disc (they actually added more voice acting to scenes that didn't have any in the Japanese release). The music quality in the game is also disappointing if you compare it to the one in the OST.

No, it didn't.
makes you wonder how awesome it might have been if it was dual layered :S

Zoe

TheChillyAcademic said:
The base of the issue is that, for the most part (Rikku, Seymour, Auron aside) the actual quality of the acting was laughable. It simply WAS NOT GOOD.

Hey, don't diss Bender!

LiK

Hobbun said:
"more flavor"
"less filling"

This can be done all day. Let's just agree to disagree. Neither is right or wrong. It's called an opinion.

indeed, can't make people like what they don't like. let's move on.

btw, wasn't the FFXIII demo awesome? :p

TheChillyAcademic said:
Lik, I love you, but you're out of your fucking mind.

:lol i didn't think people had such strong feelings about it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hobbun said:
"great taste"
"less filling"

This can be done all day. Let's just agree to disagree. Neither is right or wrong as it's subjective.

Except for the fact that FFX's voice acting is objectively bad.

But yeah, this derailment is way too much, even for a FF thread.

Hobbun

LiK said:
indeed, can't make people like what they don't like. let's move on.

btw, wasn't the FFXIII demo awesome? :p

Well...it was ok. From what I played of it, it suffers from the same issues I had with XII. A combat system that is too fast paced for me. And it sounds like you are going to have to manually switch from character to character to attack, which I am not a fan of at all.

But, SE indicated this is only 30% of the final version of the combat system, so I am still holding my judgement.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
A "mainline title" very few expected would make its way to the 360 prior to the start of this gen. There's no relevance there. SE's all about the multiplatform strategy now.

Yeah sure they are. Just cause they needed some more sales on Last Remnant doesnt suddenly mean they are gonna put it on PC. I dont see IU and SO4 on PC yet.

LiK

Hobbun said:
Well...it was ok. From what I played of it, it suffers from the same issues I had with XII. A combat system that is too fast paced for me. And it sounds like you are going to have to manually switch from character to character to attack, which I am not a fan of at all.

But, SE indicated this is only 30% of the final version of the combat system, so I am still holding my judgement.

it needs field movement, amirite Kagari? ;)

Shadow780 said:
MGS4's Eng voice was great though.

Which is why it wasn't missed as much for me. The fact that the characters themselves (and by extension the Voice Actors behind them) were so established lent itself greatly to the game's experience.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiK said:
the voice acting was great. i was particularly impressed with Lulu, Rikku, Wakka and Yuna. i think people had problems with Tidus because there were many sections where they simply sped up the voice to match the lips/animations instead of rewriting the script or reanimating them. this also happened for some NPCs as well. nothing wrong with liking it, dude. the haters can die. ;)

FYI, Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong and she's one of the best voice actresses working in cartoons and video games today. check her resume. :)

:lol

Christ, get your ears checked.

And just cause Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong doesnt mean it wasnt a weak performance. I never thought she was as good in video games as in cartoons

HK-47 said:
Yeah sure they are. Just cause they needed some more sales on Last Remnant doesnt suddenly mean they are gonna put it on PC. I dont see IU and SO4 on PC yet.

Considering how previous ff games sold on pc, I really don't see it happening...infact, I am almost certain it won't

Muffdraul

Darkpen said:
I keep reading people saying this, yet the first and last time I played the demo, I fought the Behemoth perfectly :S I don't understand what was different in how I played, and what you guys are doing.

It's the damnedest thing. The first time I played the demo, I completed it without ever breaking a sweat. The second time, too. But after that, I have lost to the Behemoth boss every single time. No matter what I do, I get stuck in that fucking infinite launch loop.

HK-47 said:
And just cause Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong doesnt mean it wasnt a weak performance. I never thought she was as good in video games as in cartoons

Even though I tend to think Tara Strong is only capable of performing one type of character, she was at least decent in FFX.

LiK

HK-47 said:
:lol

Christ, get your ears checked.

Christ checked them and he agrees with me. :lol i like what i like. FFX's voice acting ain't that bad at all.

and Tara Strong's performance for Rikku was quite strong. she was also excellent as Seth in LO.

MrDenny

What? People didn't like FFX voice acting?
I actually like Tidus and Yuna's english voices the best.
I thought all the voices were on target.
Maybe it's because I never heard the Japanese voices until after I played the English version (Tidus JP VA makes me cringe).
Similar thing happened with FF7AC.
I watched the Japanese version first, so the English dub felt awkward at first.
I have a feeling people will be very critical of FFXIII english dub, because of all the japanese voices already heard in recent trailers.

MrDenny said:
I have a feeling people will be very critical of FFXIII english dub, because of all the japanese voices already heard in recent trailers.

If anything, the last page or so has gone to show that regardless of what dub/language the game is heard in, people will be fiercely steadfast on their opinions.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheChillyAcademic said:
Even though I tend to think Tara Strong is only capable of performing one type of character, she was at least decent in FFX.

We'll just chalk it up to a horredous localization then. And I never argued it wasnt decent. I said it was a weak performance. Difference.

karasu

I liked FFX's voice acting too. Even with the annoying moments often mentioned, it was nowhere near as bad as the original Resident Evil or any of the other games that feature truly terrible voice acting.

Basically people mention the laughing scene and then from there claim that the whole of ffx va was atrocious...it was pretty highly praised for its time...really the only jrpg that has stood up to FF in terms of VA is DQVIII

Hobbun

nelsonroyale said:
Basically people mention the laughing scene and then from there claim that the whole of ffx va was atrocious...it was pretty highly praised for its time...really the only jrpg that has stood up to FF in terms of VA is DQVIII

Oh, here we go again....

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
nelsonroyale said:
Bad nelsonroyale, bad!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
nelsonroyale said:

I don't even know where to start... D=

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nelsonroyale said:

Really? Ever played Persona? And DQVIII is XII level VA. Light years better than X

Eccocid

What really bugs me in FFX is (especially after playing FF XII), character animations in cutscenes and world map. They always have this weird pause between their body movements and expressions. As if they are puppets or something. Also in vpice acting too

HEY actually this is very common in games which BUGS me a lot! They never talk at the same time! I hate when each character waits for others to finish their sentence and start talking. Even in a scene with some crisis going on they always talk in turns which makes it to fake.

inner-G

Banned
I like FFX's dub.

Even if it wasn't 'natural' as it could be it had character. Even the NPC's. I loved the old guy that told you the history of places, like the Mi'ichen Highroad, and the guy that drove ze shoopuff. Seymour was sufficiently creepy, Jecht was dripping with testosterone, Braska was a stoic and strong-headed leader, etc. I think it holds up even today.

inner-g said:
I like FFX's dub.

tidus.jpg

LiK

Eccocid said:
What really bugs me in FFX is (especially after playing FF XII), character animations in cutscenes and world map. They always have this weird pause between their body movements and expressions. As if they are puppets or something. Also in vpice acting too

HEY actually this is very common in games which BUGS me a lot! They never talk at the same time! I hate when each character waits for others to finish their sentence and start talking. Even in a scene with some crisis going on they always talk in turns which makes it to fake.

just inexperience considering it was the first FF game with voice actors.

nelsonroyale said:

You're doing this on purpose right? Please tell me you are -.-

HK-47 said:
You're a heartless nobody, thats what you are.

So it is, so shall it always be.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
TheChillyAcademic said:
So it is, so shall it always be.
There's no such thing as a heartless nobody is there?? :lol

Finishing the subjective derailment:
I guess Yuna's voice was supposed to sound depressed since she knew her fate, but I mean, she sounded like she needed some Pozac ASAP!! Tidus' voice was clown-like, that's my problem with that. The other main characters were well done I think, but NPC's were just irksome The bad cuts to match the lips (although it [three second pause] happened in his annoying inner [few second pause] monologue too) was a large problem for me, it was just so [pause] weird.

hateradio said:
There's no such thing as a heartless nobody is there?? :lol

Finishing the subjective derailment:
I guess Yuna's voice was supposed to sound depressed since she knew her fate, but I mean, she sounded like she needed some Pozac ASAP!! Tidus' voice was clown-like, that's my problem with that. The other main characters were well done I think, but NPC's were just irksome The bad cuts to match the lips (although it [three second pause] happened in his annoying inner [few second pause] monologue too) was a large problem for me, it was just so [pause] weird.

No friend, no. Sounding depressed and sounded tired and sounding like you'd rather be fucking a fruit fly then doing voice work are completely separate things. Oddly, fairy Yuna (Rikku and Paine) in KH II was voiced brilliantly, bouncy and fun, by the SAME actress. In the end I think it comes down to the voice director and Squares relative inexperience with providing voice work for such a massive game.

That was, thankfully, corrected in the Kingdom Hearts games :D

Here's IGN's read Q&A. Not too interesting overall, but people will probably be interested in this

IGN: A number of people have asked whether the original Japanese voice track will be available in the Western release of the game.

Yoshinori Kitase: Regarding Dissidia, because it's a UMD, the voice takes alot of memory - if we wanted to make that choice available, we wouldn't be able to squeeze it onto one disk – so at the moment it's not possible.

IGN: And for Final Fantasy XIII might that be an option?

Yoshinori Kitase: Obviously, when we talk about XIII it's for PS3 and Xbox – with PS3 being on Blu ray there would be enough memory, but on Xbox probably not. At the moment we're thinking of releasing the voice in English only. Are there many people who would like to play with Japanese voices?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/980/980580p1.html

Lain

That answer is kinda scary. Seems like developers are unaware that, if space is there, many people would prefer to have both languages (just as we get both original and dubs on our DVD/BRD movies).

Top Bottom