• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

BuRT!

U K Narayan said:
I still can't beat that behemoth boss. Keeps launching my ass. :mad:

Actually, I just got to him again and noticed the original strategy I posted sucks. I got lucky and beat him with 50 hp, he was just beginning to spam launches at that point. I actually just copied what someone mentioned earlier in the thread , but after playing again I noticed that blizzaga doesn't actually refill your combo bar, unlike blizzard. I assumed it did.

Anyway, this time I fought him and he didnt even launch me once. I'm assuming his launch spam is time based since it does take a while for him to even do his first launch. You'll also notice the frequency of his launches increases, he doesnt just start spamming you off the bat. After figuring this out I actually think it might be intentional and not a bug. Think of it like a WoW raid boss(though I assume many people in this thread haven't played WoW), if your raid's DPS sucks and the boss doesn't die in time, the enrage timer ends and it wipes your group. Afterall, they did want to make the game harder.
or, I could be wrong

You have to keep your meter full and keep stacking combos, by the end my last couple punches did 650 dmg each, he died in like 20 seconds. 5 star rating.

Just open with attack, then blizzard. This will raise % and cap the bar while only using 2 ticks and allowing you to attack sooner. Then do double attacks until the combo bar drops to around 50% and top the bar off again with attack + blizzard (you could wait till lower and do even more +damage, but better safe than sorry). This should break him quickly and you should be doing crazy damage if you just repeat it. Just never let your combo bar reset and once he breaks he will die before the break ends. Don't use blizzard while he is broken since it doesnt raise dmg% or time.

Also, pay attention to certain attacks he does so you dont get interrupted.

everybest

ps315.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this is? Other than the FFXIII demo case, my box set definitely doesn't look like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I didn't realize the boss could kill you.
I beat the whole thing not really knowing what I was doing, just what 'seemed' cool.

I give the trial a solid 7/10 since options are so limited.
Can't wait for the full game. I do hope it has multiple leads FF6 style. I was really surprised when
I changed characters.

Zeliard

nelsonroyale said:
I'm playing the game on a 22 inch HD monitor, in 720p, and the game looks as clean as any an all screens in this thread...the game is as clean as any I have played on pc or otherwise...

I think there is literally no chance of this game hitting pc sadly...FFX and FFXII didn't and this won't either... I can't imagine how good looking this game would look if they were targetting high end pcs... I think it would beat out crysis to honest considering... FF games really are graphical powerhouses...this absolutely crushes TLR pc in the visual department

Do you really think it's that unlikely to come to the PC? SE recently released a very nicely optimized version of Last Remnant for the PC, and FFXIII is also coming to the 360, meaning it shouldn't then be too difficult to port to PC (certainly much easier than going straight from PS3 -> PC).

Having said that, I'm not expecting it to come to the PC. I just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, unless SE has explicitly said they wouldn't.

Zeliard

A "mainline title" very few expected would make its way to the 360 prior to the start of this gen. There's no relevance there. SE's all about the multiplatform strategy now.

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I still can't beat that behemoth boss. Keeps launching my ass. :mad:
I keep reading people saying this, yet the first and last time I played the demo, I fought the Behemoth perfectly :S I don't understand what was different in how I played, and what you guys are doing. If it helps this is how it went down, IIRC:

Blizzaga, first and foremost. Then, started 2-bar attacks, and 3-bar attacks, keeping initiative, with hope to interrupt him. Tried mixing in some spells. When he broke, I did a 2 or 3 bar attack, then did a launch to 2-bar blizzard, which finished him off.

:S

Never worried about HP once.

Cerberus

Has this been posted? Kitase says there won't be a Blu-ray demo for other regions, but they might put up a demo on PSN and XBL.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/kitase_no_plans_for_blu-ray_ffxiii_demo_outside_japan.html

Yoshinori Kitase, producer on the hotly anticipated Final Fantasy XIII, has told VideoGamer.com that Square Enix has no plans to release a Blu-ray demo of the game outside of Japan.

A Blu-ray demo of the game was bundled with the release of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete in Japan last month, a move that contributed to a quadrupling of PS3 sales.

Kitase, who has worked as game director and producer on the Final Fantasy series since 1991, told VideoGamer.com during a recent Square Enix press event for Dissidia: Final Fantasy, the upcoming 3D fighting game for PSP, that the company was instead exploring the possibility of releasing a 360 and PS3 demo as a download.

He said: “The type of demo version we released in Japan, we currently have no plan of doing that abroad, partly because we are going to carry on with the project alongside the Xbox version, so we really can't just make it available only for the PS3.

“But we hear that the demo version normally means something that you can download in the West, so that is a possibility we would like to check.”

“But we hear that the demo version normally means something that you can download in the West, so that is a possibility we would like to check.”

@______________________________@

are they TRYING to parody the stereotype of japanese developers as people who make polished games but are immensely out of touch with technological trends

do they know that PSN and XBL routinely have downloadable game demos, yes, even in Japan

goddamnit

I find it interesting how Square is pretty much unwilling to do anything to support the PS3 in North America at the moment. Dead silent on PSN titles (PS3 and 360 in Japan, 360 only in the US), they won't say anything about the PS3 version of Last Remnant, and now "we really can't just make it available only for the PS3."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
distantmantra said:
I find it interesting how Square is pretty much unwilling to do anything to support the PS3 in North America at the moment. Dead silent on PSN titles (PS3 and 360 in Japan, 360 only in the US), they won't say anything about the PS3 version of Last Remnant, and now "we really can't just make it available only for the PS3."

Irritating, if you ask me.

distantmantra said:

They haven't really given the PS3 much support anywhere.

inner-G

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They haven't really given the PS3 much support anywhere.
I was pretty excited for VII international on PSN, and ACC, but they have been slacking hardcore in the PS3 HD software area.

Hobbun

inner-G said:
I was pretty excited for VII international on PSN, and ACC, but they have been slacking hardcore in the PS3 HD software area.

Actually, FF VII International is just a fancy title for the version of FF VII in NA, from what I understand. And that release is again, only for Japan.

"Slacking" is an understatement for PS3/PSN releases. But it makes me wonder if that has more to do with SE, than with SCEA. I am guessing SCEA.

Darkpen

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
But that's a spin-off. I want it on a mainline title!
You want an FF6-esque, 2D sprite-based, full-blown oldschool RPG with a mediocre localization job to be made in this era, where its not the bleeding edge in the medium? Really?

Isn't that just your nostalgia talking? The only difference would be the visuals, lack of voice acting and... that's it. The characters would still be just as lame as you may percieve them now, and the story wouldn't be any different. The only thing that's missing is the eye candy. Do you really hate eye candy?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Darkpen said:
You want an FF6-esque, 2D sprite-based, full-blown oldschool RPG with a mediocre localization job to be made in this era, where its not the bleeding edge in the medium? Really?

Isn't that just your nostalgia talking? The only difference would be the visuals, lack of voice acting and... that's it. The characters would still be just as lame as you may percieve them now, and the story wouldn't be any different. The only thing that's missing is the eye candy. Do you really hate eye candy?

2h5picp.jpg

Serious answer: YES!

Darkpen

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Serious answer: YES!
The only way something even remotely close to what you want would ever happen is if it was low-budget, maybe being made by 5-8 people max, and was 15-20 hours long for playtime, and that's not even counting extras like new game+. It'd have to sell for $20-30 on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare, and would sell a total of 250,000 digital copies.

...yeah, never gonna happen.

Hobbun

Darkpen said:

I agree, I would definitely be scratching my head if they made the next mainline FF with the non-VA, sprite based graphics. Although, I would still definitely buy it.

It would at least be gameplay that I knew I enjoyed. Instead of them thinking they have to make a fast-paced, partial real-time combat system because of the higher end graphics.

I think SE did it just right with FF X. Had the graphics (for it's time) with good voice acting and an awesome battle system.

inner-G

Banned
I'd totally pay $30-40 for a full blown sprite-based 2D JRPG. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

If I had any programming skillz I'd make one for iphone or something.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Darkpen said:
The only way something even remotely close to what you want would ever happen is if it was low-budget, maybe being made by 5-8 people max, and was 15-20 hours long for playtime, and that's not even counting extras like new game+. It'd have to sell for $20-30 on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare, and would sell a total of 250,000 digital copies.

...yeah, never gonna happen.

Let the record show that I never said I actually believed it was ever going to happen.

Hobbun said:
I think SE did it just right with FF X. Had the graphics (for it's time) with good voice acting and an awesome battle system.

Wat

inner-G

Banned
Darkpen said:
not even counting extras like new game+.
new game + is not a big deal I'd imagine.

just add code to let your save file carry over skills/weapons/whatever, and you're good to go.

NIN90

inner-G said:
I'd totally pay $30-40 for a full blown sprite-based 2D JRPG. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

If I had any programming skillz I'd make one for iphone or something.

You and about 20 other people on GAF and that's it.

Hobbun

Regulus Tera said:

Maybe you disagree, but I had no issues with it and never understood why people hated FF X's voice acting so much.

I guess I am not as critical as most in regards to that.

Kagari said:
For the time.

Soul Reaver and MGS for the PS1 had great Voice Acting.

FFX, in no way on this earth, had consistent quality VA. I will give them credit for the volume of lines spoken, the script for that game must have been massive.

LiK

Hobbun said:
Maybe you disagree, but I had no issues with it and never understood why people hated FF X's voice acting so much.

the voice acting was great. i was particularly impressed with Lulu, Rikku, Wakka and Yuna. i think people had problems with Tidus because there were many sections where they simply sped up the voice to match the lips/animations instead of rewriting the script or reanimating them. this also happened for some NPCs as well. nothing wrong with liking it, dude. the haters can die. ;)

FYI, Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong and she's one of the best voice actresses working in cartoons and video games today. check her resume. :)

LiK said:
the voice acting was great. i was particularly impressed with Lulu, Rikku, Wakka and Yuna.

Lik, what the hell is wrong with you?

LiK said:
I( think people had problems with Tidus because there were many sections where they simply sped up the voice to match the lips/animations instead of rewriting the script or reanimating them. nothign wrong with liking it, dude. the haters can die. ;)

I will end you -.-

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hobbun said:

I'm not going to link to the HAHAHAHAHA video because I get that the entire point of that scene was to be embarassing, but to call FFX's voice acting good? You should go not further than Yuna, whose "yes"es all sound exactly the same regardless of context, as if Squaresoft only ever recorded one clip of her and pasted it everywhere they could. She also sounds asleep half of the time, and whose angry voice is like "I'm angry now! You see how angry I am?".

The only genuinely good voices in the game are Auron's (kinda hard to screw him up), and Rikku's (understandably, as her voice actress was the most experienced of the bunch).

Kagari said:
For the time.

Metal Gear Solid, with a script about as campy as any FF, featured much more colourful yet coherent VA three years before FFX.

Hobbun

LiK said:
the voice acting was great. i was particularly impressed with Lulu, Rikku, Wakka and Yuna. i think people had problems with Tidus because there were many sections where they simply sped up the voice to match the lips/animations instead of rewriting the script or reanimating them. this also happened for some NPCs as well. nothing wrong with liking it, dude. the haters can die. ;)

FYI, Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong and she's one of the best voice actresses working in cartoons and video games today. check her resume. :)

If the complaints or critiques of the voice acting was because it was 'bad dubbing', that is a bit silly. If SE would go through and match the graphics of their lips to match the localized voice overs, great, but that is not something I expect them to do.

The difference was not painfully obvious, at least to me, in the movement of their lips compared to the speech. Nothing like watching a 60's martial arts movie. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Hobbun said:
I agree, I would definitely be scratching my head if they made the next mainline FF with the non-VA, sprite based graphics. Although, I would still definitely buy it.

It would at least be gameplay that I knew I enjoyed. Instead of them thinking they have to make a fast-paced, partial real-time combat system because of the higher end graphics.

...what? I hope you realize that A) the last real "turn-based" FF was FF3, and B) "fast paced partial realtime" what? Do you have a hard-on for pre-SNES gameplay? The only thing that FFX did was to take out the actual ATB bar. It made FFX ease new players into the genre, but that's it. Once you're past the gate, I would hope that the average RPG gamer would be savvy enough to not rely on infinite waiting periods or pauses between actions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hobbun said:
If the complaints or critiques of the voice acting was because it was 'bad dubbing', that is a bit silly. If SE would go through and match the graphics of their lips to match the localized voice overs, great, but that is not something I expect them to do.

Final Fantasy XII's localisation did not rematch any graphics and it still sounded more natural than the fuckjob they did in FFX.

LiK

TheChillyAcademic said:
Lik, what the hell is wrong with you?

I will end you -.-

:lol say what you will, i liked Yuna's voice during my original playthrough. she added a lot to the character, imo. :)

Hobbun said:

The difference was not painfully obvious, at least to me, in the movement of their lips compared to the speech. Nothing like watching a 60's martial arts movie. :lol

i think people forget that this was the FIRST FF game with voices. i can't fault them for some weird things they had to do just to fit in the English dub. and i think they did a great job. btw, there were a few cutscenes that i watched in Japanese and the lips actually synced better with the English dub compared to the original language. don't ask me why that happened.

i think some guys here are way too harsh about the voices. comparing FFX to MGS1 is too much. MGS1 has better voices than most games this generation, let alone FFX. ;P

Hobbun

Regulus Tera said:
I'm not going to link to the HAHAHAHAHA video because I get that the entire point of that scene was to be embarassing, but to call FFX's voice acting good? You should go not further than Yuna, whose "yes"es all sound exactly the same regardless of context, as if Squaresoft only ever recorded one clip of her and pasted it everywhere they could. She also sounds asleep half of the time, and whose angry voice is like "I'm angry now! You see how angry I am?".

Getting tired of hearing bitching about the "laughing scene". It was supposed to sound awkward.

As for the rest, again, I guess I am just not as critical as most are. Could the voice acting been better? Sure. But it didn't destroy or ruin the game for me at all, far from it, actually.

Hobbun said:

It wasn't AT ALL about the lip syncing or the dubbing in general, well at least not mainly. If anything, the VA was so stilted and ridiculous sounding because, for whatever reason, the actors were forced to squeeze lines (either saying lines extremely fast or with long pauses mid-sentence) to fit in the lip movements.

The base of the issue is that, for the most part (Rikku, Seymour, Auron aside) the actual quality of the acting was laughable. It simply WAS NOT GOOD.

Hobbun

Regulus Tera said:
Final Fantasy XII's localisation did not rematch any graphics and it still sounded more natural than the fuckjob they did in FFX.

TheChillyAcademic said:
It wasn't AT ALL about the lip syncing or the dubbing in general, well at least not mainly. If anything, the VA was so stilted and ridiculous sounding because, for whatever reason, the actors were forced to squeeze lines (either saying lines extremely fast or with long pauses mid-sentence) to fit in the lip movements.

The base of the issue is that, for the most part (Rikku, Seymour, Auron aside) the actual quality of the acting was laughable. It simply WAS NOT GOOD.

*shrugs*

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I had no issues with the voice acting of X.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hobbun said:
Getting tired of hearing bitching about the "laughing scene". It was supposed to sound awkward.

I acknowledged this.

Hobbun said:
As for the rest, again, I guess I am just not as critical as most are. Could the voice acting been better? Sure. But it didn't destroy or ruin the game for me at all, far from it, actually.

Hobbun said:
*shrugs*

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I had no issues with the voice acting of X.

I guess you could say being tolerable is FFX's best quality regarding voice acting.

Regulus Tera said:

Be wary friend...FFXII had a phenomenal translation and the voice acting was definitely a marked improvement over FFX, but the echo laced sound the dialog had was a tad off putting.

Hobbun

Regulus Tera said:
I acknowledged this.

You're right, I misread, my mistake. I thought you were complaining about that scene.

Regulus Tera said:
I guess you could say being tolerable is FFX's best quality regarding voice acting.

Maybe I should clarify, when I heard it, it didn't make me wince or go "Ouch". But again, it goes back to where I guess I am not as critical as others in regards to it.

Top Bottom