• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Forza Motorsport 2 Custom Liveries Parade

newsguy

Well, I didn't sleep last night. After reading the livery thread all day at work I said this to myself, "I'm going to figure out the basics of this thing and come up with something simple."
The obsessive insomniac in me kept me up till daylight. Here's what I'm currently working on:

53573aa5-f01e-40d3-b5af-f7bd4273e76.jpg

e7097949-628b-4bc4-85f8-145d238aa8d.jpg

93a87413-d067-4f12-adfe-17c2f06c5bf.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
m0dus said:
I was thinking in terms of collaborations . . . hmm . . you still off that Nintendo Kick? because I haven't even TOUCHED that yet.

how's your faux paintbrush skizzles? ;-)

m0dus. Gift me your Ninja and Samurai Champoo car please. Thanks. :)

Gowans

LukeSmith said:
If either of us had any skillz with the livery editor that might have been a possibility.
BUT WE ARE FAIL

:lol man I can only imagine the janky assness of the leet art skilz if you guys cant put together the mister chief, if I bump into you guys online I'll look out for the circle, triangle, square mobil :D

EDIT: Shame you guys aren't putting together a XBLA pac-man game, I know you guys could pull that off. or are you? we all know they need more.

Z_Y

I'm embarassed to put this here among some of the others but I spent a lof time on it...so you have to look at it! :lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I like the Blue better but the silver shows off all the shadowing and outlining I did...and I'll be damned if I'm going to let all that work not be seen. :)

4.jpg

I know it is pretty basic but I spent most of the time just figuring out how to use the editor. I'm addicted to customizing now.

chespace said:
Dan Greenawalt currently has the car. I'll bug him about it today and see if I can get a couple more folks to sign it before gifting it back to m0dus. Ken Lobb signed it too. :)
That's fckn awesome.

newsguy

(West Virginia design)
I think it's awesome, unfortunately I'm a Canes fan so I can't tell you that... Oh wait...

Jube3 said:
Made a paper mario one, I think I am done with my nintendo kick for now lol.

*snip*
****, there goes a car theme I had in mind. :lol

Doubt it would've been anywhere near as gorgeous as yours though... Excellent design.

chespace

m0dus said:
I had a QUICK question about that, though. is there any way to lock the design on a gifted car?

Here's what you do. Lock both cars. Put them up in the auction house for a ridiculous amount of money. Let me know when they're up there. And when I give you the word, you can cancel your auctions. :)

Jack B

Z_Y said:
I'm embarassed to put this here among some of the others but I spent a lof time on it...so you have to look at it! :lol

1.jpg

That's the first collegiate design I've seen. Really well done.

I'm starting to wonder how many of these designs will get made in real life. I mean, some of these would be very expense, but others like your West Virginia car are very doable and I'd drive that, except I'd get the University of Washington Huskies version! :D

Of course you'd be a stud driving around campus, but I'm not sure I'd leave it in the parking lot unattended at too many away games....

Dina

MicVlaD said:
****, there goes a car theme I had in mind. :lol

Doubt it would've been anywhere near as gorgeous as yours though... Excellent design.

Same here. I'll still be doing it, but not outright. Might mix it up a bit, will see.

High-res art is pretty hard to come by, btw. Especially art of the more obscure or older games. 4chan, photobucket, imageshack and google image search turn up zilch most of the time.

m0dus said:
I appreciate the feedback--it's more that the hair is just a bit thinner, I think. and I added some extra strands. I wanted that fizzled "I just woke UP and you want to fight me!?" look :)

Ah alright man. I thought the 'error' was pretty obvious to see but you had your reasons. Awesome car, put it up. I wanna know how much credits you can make on the baby :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Che, if you get a chance later, could you resend me the car you tried gifting last night?

And wow m0dus at the mugen design.

chespace

m0dus said:
do I need to do anything special? like make it a featured auction or something?

also--one of the MGS ones is locked, and up on the auction block for 100,000 cr, with 3 hours left . . .

Okay, you just need to put up the Mugen one then. No, you don't need to do anything special except make it ridiculously expensive. Or you can make it a real auction if you want, it doesn't matter.

clashfan

LukeSmith said:
If either of us had any skillz with the livery editor that might have been a possibility.
BUT WE ARE FAIL

Get the Bungie artist working on making a Halo 3 car. Rumor is that Halo 3 is basically done so they should have free time.

Tieno

clashfan said:
Get the Bungie artist working on making a Halo 3 car. Rumor is that Halo 3 is basically done so they should have free time.
I think Luke and Stinkles are pretty much at the bottom of the Bungie totem pole. They don't have any sway at all. Or so I have been told by higher-ranking Bungies.

chespace

m0dus said:
I keep buying these S2000's, I deserve a discount at some point. :lol

The guy who designed the auction house will be gifting you some cars, m0dus. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tieno said:
I think Luke and Stinkles are pretty much at the bottom of the Bungie totem pole. They don't have any sway at all. Or so I have been told by higher-ranking Bungies.

It's better than being at the bottom of the perm totem pole.

Tf53

The store I work at got a small batch of FM2 today, but obviously I forgot to take one of the games home. I was planning on it, but it slipped my mind. I do have an entry exam tomorrow, so I thought it might be a good thing that I don't spend the whole night learning the ropes... but then I saw everyone's designs. WHY DID I LEAVE IT AT WORK?

chespace

m0dus said:
you know, I was freaked out for a second that someone named UKNOWN USER / TURN10 was suddenly sending me cars :lol

I was fearful for my life.

Oh, and the Mugen s2000 is up in the auction house. Lemme know when i can take it down.

Go ahead and take it down. Thanks m0dus. Your stuff is absolutely amazing. Same with Ayo Jube3's stuff.

Dina

Bah, I've spent (d? whatever) 2 evenings now, hunting for car ideas and usuable artwork. I actually have a Forza Image folder with about 8-10 subfolders, all with car ideas...

And 3 more days before I can put 'em to good use. Excruciating.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Awesome work guys!

Quick question: If I gift a car to my pal or sell one at auction, it's totally gone from my garage, right? I don't keep a "copy" of it, I assume--so I'd need to save any designs I wanted to reuse?

HokieJoe

Z_Y said:

2.jpg

I like the Blue better but the silver shows off all the shadowing and outlining I did...and I'll be damned if I'm going to let all that work not be seen. :)

I know it is pretty basic but I spent most of the time just figuring out how to use the editor. I'm addicted to customizing now.

I think it looks great actually. Not all designs need to be complex. A simple sport motif can be hard to pull off tastefully. Well done!

Meh, this is the best I'll probably be able to do. I've fixed the letters since I took these and I might make a TARDIS to go along with it.

forza2handler.jpg

forza2handler-1.jpg

OverHeat

« generous god »
Tieno said:
Stinkles gave you a Beta key and thats how you thank him :lol

Razoric said:
how has no one made a good halo car yet o_O

I saw one last night! It was awesome, had Master Chief, the Halo 3 logo and everything. Looked great!

I also saw the most amazing car I would have bid on if I hadn't fallen asleep with the cotroller in my hand: all black, with white Playboy bunny logos, and the hood said Slut Wagon 69.

Mojovonio

Banned
The youtube link don't work and i can't find a good tutorial anywhere, so

HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS?

This is incredible! I literally had no interest in this game till this thread.

Mojovonio said:
The youtube link don't work and i can't find a good tutorial anywhere, so

HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS?

This is incredible! I literally had no interest in this game till this thread.
I asked same thing yesterday. Didn't get any meaningful reply. I searched and found these two videos that shows some detail. To get better idea, watch it in reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkm_AC--gYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxu7Jif36w

Still looking for better tutorial...

tha_con

Banned
Can anyone describe the process in which you create custom liveries? Do you create a single texture that overlays on the car? Or does it work with layers? What file types are supported? Keep in mind: You could be the potential deciding factor in my buying a 360 and this game.

I haven't picked up the game yet so I can't do it myself, but I'm sorely disappointed that no one has done the London 2012 Olympics logo yet. GAF, you've failed me yet again....

PhatSaqs

Banned
tha_con said:
Can anyone describe the process in which you create custom liveries? Do you create a single texture that overlays on the car? Or does it work with layers? What file types are supported? Keep in mind: You could be the potential deciding factor in my buying a 360 and this game.
There are no file types. Everything is done with the games supplied shapes, gradients, text, etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BenjaminBirdie said:
:O

Not the biggest Rancid fan but that is ****ing AMAZING.

i actually found this to be one of the easier designs to make. i guess its the simple black and whites.

if anyone is interested, i put it in the auction house. give me your money :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How'd you do the little writing in his tattoo?

I think the problem for those of us that don't get it is a total paradigm problem. We just don't even know how to break apart what we want to create into shapes.

op_ivy said:

i actually found this to be one of the easier designs to make. i guess its the simple black and whites.

if anyone is interested, i put it in the auction house. give me your money :p

One thing thats a slight drag about Auction House is it's really bad at showing off roofs, which is the absolute highlight of yours. It's not the colors that necessarily make a sweet design, it's the detail. I mean, dude, you totally nailed that. Gradients and transparencies are cool and impressive, but so is completely PWNing all that detail.

Hopefully the side of the car is catchy enough to turn some heads. I'd post an "ad" for the auction with that picture in the Auction House and Car Livery threads at FM.net. All you really need is two or three people battling it out and you can make some sweet cash. I did!

op_ivy

Y2Kev said:
How'd you do the little writing in his tattoo?

I think the problem for those of us that don't get it is a total paradigm problem. We just don't even know how to break apart what we want to create into shapes.

its one of the pre-made fonts. i just shrank it and rotated it. honestly, i learned that you just have to make do with the shapes they give you. whatever it is your making, try to break it down into basic shapes (circles/squares) then add or subtract detail with oddball shapes as needed

op_ivy

BenjaminBirdie said:
One thing thats a slight drag about Auction House is it's really bad at showing off roofs, which is the absolute highlight of yours. It's not the colors that necessarily make a sweet design, it's the detail. I mean, dude, you totally nailed that. Gradients and transparencies are cool and impressive, but so is completely PWNing all that detail.

Hopefully the side of the car is catchy enough to turn some heads. I'd post an "ad" for the auction with that picture in the Auction House and Car Livery threads at FM.net. All you really need is two or three people battling it out and you can make some sweet cash. I did!

the other side has the same roof decal, only smaller. it is hard to see all teh detail in the auction house though.

and i really should have cleaned up the excess white "spray paint" on the right side of the decal on the roof :/

Dina said:
Same here. I'll still be doing it, but not outright. Might mix it up a bit, will see.

High-res art is pretty hard to come by, btw. Especially art of the more obscure or older games. 4chan, photobucket, imageshack and google image search turn up zilch most of the time.
Think I might do something of Yoshi's Island instead, as it's my favorite 2D platformer of all-time. Never bought or played a Paper Mario game anyway...

Top Bottom