• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

CiSTM

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
Got back earlier than I thought, so let the games begin.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/3354771548_7ac6143a0c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I hate you >:(

But do write some impressions asap.

Okay, played for almost an hour I think. Quick impressions:

--It's GTA on DS, the real deal. The writing, the music, the atmosphere, everything.
--Everything is so teeny-tiny and cute. The graphics look great for a DS game. Not to knock the system but I'm impressed by the 3D so far.
--The controls are good (so far). No contorting required or anything like when you play Syphon Filter on PSP.
--Driving around and evading cops is still annoying. I'm not familiar with the streets so I was constantly looking down at the GPS for directions, and then hitting pedestrians, cars, and cops on the top screen.

I'm really, really excited to play more and see what other characters are introduced and stuff.

CiSTM

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
Okay, played for almost an hour I think. Quick impressions:

--It's GTA on DS, the real deal. The writing, the music, the atmosphere, everything.
--Everything is so teeny-tiny and cute. The graphics look great for a DS game. Not to knock the system but I'm impressed by the 3D so far.
--The controls are good (so far). No contorting required or anything like when you play Syphon Filter on PSP.
--Driving around and evading cops is still annoying. I'm not familiar with the streets so I was constantly looking down at the GPS for directions, and then hitting pedestrians, cars, and cops on the top screen.

I'm really, really excited to play more and see what other characters are introduced and stuff.

Much appreciated. Keep 'em impressions coming ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GTACW_sniper.jpg

The DS one is the only one which teaches you to assemble guns :lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Day 1. Can't wait. When they showed that logo at E3, I thought this was gonna be a total cash in. Oh how wrong I was. :D

markot

Banned
Yeah, I thought it would be lameo. But its sounding like a great gta2 type game.

>.< Is this getting censored for Australia? I mean, you do deal drugs and stuff... Hope it doesnt, definately getting it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
sykoex said:
Day 1. Can't wait. When they showed that logo at E3, I thought this was gonna be a total cash in. Oh how wrong I was. :D

We all did :lol

For once, we were proved wrong... and I'm glad we did

tenritsu

Banned
Holy crap this is awesome?! Day-1 then. I might as well check tomorrow and see if any of the stores around me have broken the release date :D

lopaz

Banned
So this cinematic camera mode, does that basically switch the game so it looks like one of the 3D console games rather than being top-down?

lopaz said:
So this cinematic camera mode, does that basically switch the game so it looks like one of the 3D console games rather than being top-down?

As far as I'm aware, it's like the essentially unplayable cinematic cam in all of the 3D GTAs. It pans to different angles, etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to really like this game. I don't know why. Like a return to 2d GTA (that I never played) with the experience from all the 3d games?

My head is seriously spinning with all these DS releases.....

Peggle, then Hatsworth, now this

at least it makes having to take the bus to class A LOT easier.

Okay, played for another hour earlier. Some more impressions:

--Missions so far haven't been that difficult but it's still early. They've also been short so far, perfect for portable gaming, but I get the feeling that they'll get longer and more difficult later on.
--The city feels alive because you'll hear people yell stuff out while you're walking around. Although some of the cars remind me of the finger-shaped shortbread cookies I saw on Barefoot Contessa earlier. Seriously.
--I'm a little better at avoiding cops now because I started running over people on purpose to avoid hitting cop cars while driving.
--The music is fantastic. Rockstar games always have fantastic tunes. Anybody know if the songs are licensed?
--The whole PDA concept where your GPS, email, mission notes, etc. are all integrated is great once you get used to how it's laid out.
--I miss the voice acting in cutscenes because I thought GTAIV had great voice acting.
--Wish the font size was larger for dialogue and text. My poor old eyes tire easily.

More tomorrow...

This is the one game that could push me to getting a DS, and after watching some youtube gameplay videos I am salavating. Definitely picking up a DS in the next week.

Rlan

JB-AU-20090303-58_03.png

Deal for the game at JB Hi Fi In Australia. There are currently no DS games on their exclusion list, so if you can grab two really cheap DS games it'll cost you very little.

This is the deepest GTA ever, the amount of Odd Jobs etc that you can is crazy. The drug dealing part is totally addictive too. Most of the music is licensed...in a way. Like the hip hop channel has only songs from the might Alchemist, short loops of his songs like from the latest Fat Joe album and Al's first solo album.

markot

Banned
Compare it to GTA2 >.>!

Also, do you ever feel like you are too zoomed into the action? My main concern is that you cant zoom out enough so you crash into things all the time and cant see stuff coming >.< Or does it all work well?

whatdidyousay said:
Okay, played for another hour earlier. Some more impressions:

--Missions so far haven't been that difficult but it's still early. They've also been short so far, perfect for portable gaming, but I get the feeling that they'll get longer and more difficult later on.
--The city feels alive because you'll hear people yell stuff out while you're walking around. Although some of the cars remind me of the finger-shaped shortbread cookies I saw on Barefoot Contessa earlier. Seriously.
--I'm a little better at avoiding cops now because I started running over people on purpose to avoid hitting cop cars while driving.
--The music is fantastic. Rockstar games always have fantastic tunes. Anybody know if the songs are licensed?
--The whole PDA concept where your GPS, email, mission notes, etc. are all integrated is great once you get used to how it's laid out.
--I miss the voice acting in cutscenes because I thought GTAIV had great voice acting.
--Wish the font size was larger for dialogue and text. My poor old eyes tire easily.

More tomorrow...

Yea the songs are licensed, check your booklet.

You get pretty good in avoiding the cops after a few hours of playing. There are a LOT of cop cars in the city though, like, around every corner. Jacking a car gives you a 50 percent chance of getting a wanted star haha. Kinda annoying but its also easy to lose one wanted star again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
markot said:
Compare it to GTA2 >.>!

Similar feeling enhanced with various 3D aspects and general overall polish. It feels like a really nice equilibrium between the old 2D games (GTA2 is my favourite in the entire franchise) and the more detailed 3D games.

Also, do you ever feel like you are too zoomed into the action? My main concern is that you cant zoom out enough so you crash into things all the time and cant see stuff coming >.< Or does it all work well?

Camera is a tad annoying at times but hardly anything bad. I find it most annoying when on foot and trying to shoot stuff down, as the auto lock-on can be a bit tedious, especially when spinning around to shoot something behind you as the camera will also swing around and can make you loose your bearings.

But stuff like that quickly becomes meaningless as you get more used to it. After all, there hasn't been a GTA quite like this for years.

I gotta say though that there is so much content here. It really feels like it's built for the DS too, with really awesome touch screen features that don't feel gimmicky, and missions and gameplay that seems like it was built for a portable device.

Apenheul

EatChildren said:
Similar feeling enhanced with various 3D aspects and general overall polish. It feels like a really nice equilibrium between the old 2D games (GTA2 is my favourite in the entire franchise) and the more detailed 3D games.

Oh... yeah!!

andthebeatgoeson

I thought I saw an Insane Stunt Bonus-like jump. Do they bring that sound bit back? I miss that guy. I was upset they took him out of three. Then I hit a jump with Opera music in the background in slo mo and it was alright...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
As a recent fan of GTA glancing over this thread, I'm interested. I think I'll try my luck with this after I'm done with DQ5.

One big comment I have is how good the touch screen usage is. Not just the actual implementation, but how easy it is to do most things with just your thumb. Most games have such small detection areas that it's hard to use the touch screen with anything but a stylus, but with Chinatown Wars for most things the thumb isn't an issue. The only thing I haven't been able to use it for is connecting the wire and doing the numbers for the PDA carjacking, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Moz La Punk said:
Yea the songs are licensed, check your booklet.
We actually get real music this time? That sounds sweet! The trailer had an awesome rap song, I think it sounded like Wu-Tang. Is there a tracklist somewhere out?

Banned
Some impressions after only about 10 minutes of playing;

- STORY: Ok, the initial story is hokey as shit, you can tell they've just called this one in, but as if they're going to invest in a real story for the DS...
- CONTROL: Control is weird, as weird as an isometric 3D world with a D pad is I guess. Car driving was surprisingly fun, well, it IS GTA...
- GRAPHICS: Well, it's a DS, and it's 3D, so it looks brittle as shit.
- PRESENTATION: Is good, intro scenes are pretty cool visually for what they are.

It's still 3D on a DS, but could be a lot of fun once it starts rolling.

Teetris said:
We actually get real music this time? That sounds sweet! The trailer had an awesome rap song, I think it sounded like Wu-Tang. Is there a tracklist somewhere out?

I'm having a blast with this game thus far. There is music but no lyrics. So don't expect to hear rapping or rock lyrics. It totally fits well with the game though. It is a GTA in every sense. Awesome job once again R*

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why the fuck isn't this thread flying, I mean it's great game, it's GTA and it's dirt cheap in the UK/Online (£17.99/€22)... only 2 pages when the game's already out.

I think people are still stuck on the idea this game was a downgraded GTA2 experience bundled with GTA Advance suckiness and Rockstar cashing-in to help fund aother project, because as soon as non-believers (like I was) read about it in depth and watch some videos they're fucking sold.

I may be helping spreading the word, 'cause this game's totally worth it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The game isn't out yet though, that's the thing. The only people who should have it are people either got it out of a shop early or are in the press.

Or you know whatted it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dash Kappei said:
Why the fuck isn't this thread flying, I mean it's great game, it's GTA and it's dirt cheap in the UK/Online (£17.99/€22)... only 2 pages when the game's already out.

I think people are still stuck on the idea this game was a downgraded GTA2 experience bundled with GTA Advance suckiness and Rockstar cashing-in to help fund aother project, because as soon as non-believers (like I was) read about it in depth and watch some videos they're fucking sold.

I may be helping spreading the word, 'cause this game's totally worth it.

3/17 US

3/20 UK

Mik2121

No release date for Japan? If they don't release this, added to how they are not releasing MadWorld either and how a lot of games take forever to get released here, I'll declare Japan the worst place to live for a gamer this generation.

Of course, it's not something we didn't know, seeing how they can even make proper games anymore, lol :p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mik2121 said:
No release date for Japan? If they don't release this, added to how they are not releasing MadWorld either and how a lot of games take forever to get released here, I'll declare Japan the worst place to live for a gamer this generation.

Of course, it's not something we didn't know, seeing how they can even make proper games anymore, lol :p

I have the Japanese Bully and I would much rather just have the English version than the half-assed Japanese version... Really messes with me when half the game is in English but the other half isn't..

Just import it like I am doing

jrricky

Banned
Mik2121 said:

But...but...but...the DS is a savior to japan.

Great impressions.

There just a crazy amount of stuff to do in this game. The drug dealing is super addictive. Plus I just assembled a sniper rifle...literally, had to open the case, put the parts together, cock it etc...fun :)

EatChildren said:

Camera is a tad annoying at times but hardly anything bad. I find it most annoying when on foot and trying to shoot stuff down, as the auto lock-on can be a bit tedious, especially when spinning around to shoot something behind you as the camera will also swing around and can make you loose your bearings.

But stuff like that quickly becomes meaningless as you get more used to it. After all, there hasn't been a GTA quite like this for years.

I gotta say though that there is so much content here. It really feels like it's built for the DS too, with really awesome touch screen features that don't feel gimmicky, and missions and gameplay that seems like it was built for a portable device.

The camera zooms out when you drive, but I noticed that you can also change the level of zoom from the PDA as well as the brightness!

Top Bottom