• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

mujun

Mik2121 said:
No release date for Japan? If they don't release this, added to how they are not releasing MadWorld either and how a lot of games take forever to get released here, I'll declare Japan the worst place to live for a gamer this generation.

Of course, it's not something we didn't know, seeing how they can even make proper games anymore, lol :p

i love living here but i think americans are in a better position gaming wise.

i buy 90% of my games from an importer. luckily they are cheap.

i just ordered this game off rakuten. it only cost me 4300 yen with cod delivery and should be here tomorrow :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
PIMPBYBLUD said:
I'm having a blast with this game thus far. There is music but no lyrics. So don't expect to hear rapping or rock lyrics. It totally fits well with the game though. It is a GTA in every sense. Awesome job once again R*
Oh, so no radio like the 3D GTAs. Music must be really good then to hold up, guess I'll find out soon. Already made up my mind to get this! :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kind of wish that this was one of the DLC episodes... mainly because I want to see how the Hausers would write Chinese Americans. Oh well.

Spruchy said:
Lot of people got this game early, wonder how. Must be that homebrew stuff.

or maybe some people on neogaf work in the industry? I have never downloaded even one game for the DS

here, a shot of the box for you. happy now?

newpickup-10-03-09.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
or maybe some people on neogaf work in the industry? I have never downloaded even one game for the DS

here, a shot of the box for you. happy now?

where did you get that stylus dude? looks cool as..

VOOK said:
Cos Homebrew = Piracy amiright?
Not this again, k?

The funny thing is the game doesn't work on most of the homebrew cards. At least out of the box. Thanks to new anti piracy measures.

I preordered 3 copies of this game from uk. I hope they arrive soon so I'm able to play it right when my DSi arrives too.

Gee

Caesar III said:
Not this again, k?

The funny thing is the game doesn't work on most of the homebrew cards. At least out of the box. Thanks to new anti piracy measures.

I preordered 3 copies of this game from uk. I hope they arrive soon so I'm able to play it right when my DSi arrives too.

PhoenixWright_DS_02.jpg

How come you know it's copy protected..?

Gee said:
:lol I read some forums (no links here) about this because I saw some videos on youtube and wondered where they got it. They are angry because the game doesn't run on their flashcards :lol Was funny to read through all of these postings at both communities I found.

VAIL

Gee said:
PhoenixWright_DS_02.jpg

I was reading threads all over the place, it's interesting to see that culture scramble when something doesn't work, and how they bitch and moan at one another even though they are taking something for nothing. I'm not an advocate for piracy..but the cat and mouse of it all is pretty interesting stuff. Seems they managed to get it working fairly quickly. I cant wait to dig into this game, it's a testament to R* how they managed to bring the full Gta experience down to the DS.

zigg

Gee said:

As far as I've read, it's not actually copy protected, per se. It's that it's got a big save chip, like Band Brothers DX does. When that game came out, it wasn't exactly uncommon knowledge; many news sites reported the fact. I did as well; I even dug out how big it was.

But yeah, the big save chip has the knock-on effect that a lot of folks aren't going to be able to easily just grab the thing and go; they'll have to muck about with firmware and other workarounds. I'm sure that fact isn't going unappreciated at Rockstar.

(I don't have the game—downloaded or otherwise—I just know what I've read. Would like to get it someday, though. Legitimately, like every other DS game in my collection.)

yeah I checked again now and :( they beat it. Really, it was amusing to read through all the whining because the game did not work right away.

On topic: is the stylus included or is this part of the press kit?

I'm having a great time with the game (so far). No control issues and I'm really, really loving the presentation. I did get better at driving and evading cops, so yay.

A genuine complaint from me: it's a little tricky during some chases when you're underneath an elevated train. You're straining to see what's going on and then all of a sudden some semi-transparent train whooshes by and I end up crashing or something. Maybe I'll get used to it, who knows.

But like I said earlier, this feels (to me at least) like the real deal GTA experience on the DS. Some technical limitations but the writing, the music, the atmosphere, it's all here.

Bluecondor

Moz La Punk said:
nah got it from rockstar. don't think they come with the game

Moments like these make NeoGAF so enjoyable. One moment, the man has been lumped into a blanket accusation of piracy. One pic of GTA Chinatown Wars chopstick stylus later, and you are king of the thread.

Who here wouldn't love to be in Moz La Punk's shoes, with R* sending you the game early in a press kit with a commemorative stylus....

It's like you get to travel in first class with caviar and a bottle of Dom P (the exclusive R* press kit), while the rest of us get to wait in line for the bus (I can't wait to go to Gamestop on Tuesday so the smarmy kid at the register can make me wait until the arbitrary time when he is ready/willing to sell me a copy of the game).

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am thinking about getting this, but is there stuff to do in the city unlike in GTA4? I remember huge swathes of territory in #4 with no stores, no activities, no nothing. Compare to SR2 where an activity is always a few blocks away.

Caesar III said:
:lol I read some forums (no links here) about this because I saw some videos on youtube and wondered where they got it. They are angry because the game doesn't run on their flashcards :lol Was funny to read through all of these postings at both communities I found.

Worked like a blast with mine! No just kidding, I got my retail copy as well and it's really cool.

I cannot really see the comparison between the GTA IV and the CTW Liberty City but I can see from the map that they're the same and I have already driven by Cluckin' Bell!

Really cool game already!

MattNY

Caesar III said:
yeah I checked again now and :( they beat it. Really, it was amusing to read through all the whining because the game did not work right away.

Two things you can always count on when looking at the world of pirated materials.

1. When it doesn't work, people will bitch and moan more than if someone who actually purchased it got a defective copy.

2. Whatever method is put in place, it will be cracked within hours.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eurogamer said:
Those hoping for another gritty, complex narrative spine bound in the flesh of an openworld action-adventure may be disappointed by the rather more frivolous and silly antics of the Chinatown Wars cast
opposite for me

Struct09

Eurogamer said:
Overall this is GTA as it first was, with the inherited wisdom of GTA as it's been since, finished off with all sorts of things that would happily belong in a GTA of the future.

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for with this game. I loved GTAIV, but I'm glad they didn't take that approach for the DS.

Very happy to hear that the game turned out well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The job Rockstar have done here is almost frighteningly good. It feels like GTA, yet at the same time is unique for the platform, while channelling the wacky charm of the original, yet enhancing with advancements made in 3D, then throwing brand new shit on top of all of that.

It's huge, feature packed, detailed, varied, and controls like a breeze. This is easily one of the best games on the DS, and if this quality holds up will be one of my favourite entries in the entire GTA franchise.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
diffusionx said:
That's nice but they gave GTA4 a 10/10 too so I'm not that trusting.
I think many of us are wary of GTAIV Syndrome when it comes to these early reviews. But the fact that they're not basing their scores on the amazing story or gushing about the narrative richness gives me some hope.

Tobor

diffusionx said:
That's nice but they gave GTA4 a 10/10 too so I'm not that trusting.

GTAIV is a 10 in my book. If Chinatown Wars is half as entertaining as GTAIV, I'll be in portable heaven.

AstroLad said:
I think many of us are wary of GTAIV Syndrome when it comes to these early reviews. But the fact that they're not basing their scores on the amazing story or gushing about the narrative richness gives me some hope.

I can say I could safely give this game a 8.5-9. It's a great experience on the DS for a sandbox game. The more I play the more impressed I am. The touch screen controls are intuitive and don't take you out of the experience of the game. The drug pushing is genius.

Mamesj

Banned
I just offered the guy at GS a pre-order if I could get one of those promotional chinese take-out boxes they have- he went for it! Yay!

I'm not much for game swag, but I had to have one of these for some reason.

stuminus3

IGN said:
Though the game doesn't look as eyepopping gorgeous as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 GTA titles – and it's not even up as high as the PSP editions, either – Chinatown Wars' visuals are outstanding for Nintendo DS standards and shouldn't be dismissed in the GTA comparisons.
I don't really get why this kind of thing has to be mentioned. I mean, no shit Sherlock. DS game not as pretty as an Xbox 360 game confirmed!

Top Bottom