• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys need to grab a sheet of paper. Draw a line down the center. Put all of the things you can change in this world on one side and the things you can't change on the other (like Halo 3). Tear the paper along the divided line and throw away the second half.

Seriously though. There's a lot of stuff in the real world to bitch about which actually matters. I'd reckon that a recreational video game shouldn't be one of them. I use to bitch about all of the issues I had with Halo 3, but I discovered that it's a lot more fun to talk about the things I liked about it than to wallow in the things I don't. Fortunately for me, there's a lot of positive stuff to talk about when it comes to Halo, Bungie and everything that goes along with those two.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I remember that Zidane headbutt on Mister Chief...that shit was hilarious.

It's a competitive industry and we're not explaining every little thing we do. Cops gonna come and try and snatch our props

True that but there are things that have been revealed for the good of the development community but other things that haven't. For instance, at GDC you guys do presentations every year about the games you make. Some of them are just theoretical like the "30 seconds of fun" stuff but there are in depth presentations. You guys put out presentation and videos that I believe Damian Isla did about the AI in the Halo games. Wouldn't that be sorta like showing your cards to your competitors. Obviously the video/presentation didn't say things like, "go to this website for AI algorithms" but I'm sure there were developers who were like "ohhhhhh, now i see" after seeing that. I actually think it's great. IDEALLY, the development community should be helping each other out to make better games. When studios make better games, more copies are sold, more money is made = everyone's happy. It's a business though and I'm sure through ish like NDA's you actually are not allowed to say some shit, or you'll go to court...like details about Bungie's next project. :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
EazyB said:
KyleJ
Juices
Dax
Sai Kun
KevinRo
xxsixsubset
cjelly

I don't like any of you. If I could I would give you a swirly, a wedgie, and stuff you in a locker after circulating viscous rumors about each one of you.
Is it because I called you guys a bunch of elitist pricks?

GhaleonEB said:
It has been shat upon.

But not by me. When I part my buttocks, love comes out.
I saw on CNN Dr. Gupta said love causes intense bleeding. If that happens to you, please don't venture into the OT and make a thread about it asking if you should go to a doctor.

JdFoX187

Banned
Ramirez said:
There's a reason morons get singled out and made fun of a lot, it's not like the people that get it don't have it coming to them.
Because you are immature and get some kind of kick out of making fun of people on a video game Web site? I don't think anyone here, whether it be Dax or Juices or even some of the HaloGAF clique, deserves the berrading that goes on in here some times. This is a prime example of a thread that should be locked months ago because there's hardly any decent discussion going on other than "OMG, I know this guy who posts here!"

fin said:
Bungie are still SO cryptic and secretive about the most mundane things like matchmaking content and DLC maps. It's such a crock of marketing-bullshit, it makes me sick. Sept 25 is 10 days away, and they still haven't shown their hand. We only know of ONE map. To be fair, it's probably not Bungie's call when to announce the new content. MS probably wants to make it a surprise, throwing it out for an impulse buy.

I really enjoy their marketing style. The community is led on these snipe hunts for morsels of information almost monthly. Monitor screens in the background of vidocs mean something to us. We dive into hex codes, rifle through menus when we have the TU2 disk, a camera phone and an unsupervised 45 seconds. New map code names are dissected to the letter like they were the first communications from space. A weekly update that is read by thousands within minutes of its release. Its fun just to try and keep up. How much fun is it to read a PR announcement? "Umm, this is Bungie, new maps come out on Sept. 25th, they are Assembly, Sand Box and Station, a reinvention of Terminal. Have a pleasurable evening."

GhaleonEB said:
It has been shat upon.

Perhaps but after everyone lets out their feelings I think the thread will be stronger because of it. :D

Also I wanted to clarify a post that kinda got taken out of context by posters after lukems quoted me and went off on a small tangent about the INDUSTRY or some shit. Everyone is discussing how they don't need to reveal what they are working on. I have NO PROBLEM with their marketing strategies, not releasing information on what they are releasing. I don't need to know about the new maps or when exactuly TU2 is coming out, or what their next big game is. I will wait for that and be excited upon hearing about it. Thats not the information I was talking about.

What I did say was that I want to know specifically what Shiska is doing (Not even Shiska to be exact, but more whats happening with the playlist). No games are waiting around for Shiska to release information so his.their ideas can be stolen. The game has already been out for an entire year. I hardly consider a playlist change to be NEW CONTENT.

After all the playlist changes is what concerns most of the players on H3.

Brainboy

GhaleonEB said:
It has been shat upon.

Oh Ghaleon. Never change.

Seriously though, some of you dudes need to calm down, watch the Mythbusters video (it's sweet) and go enjoy some rounds of Halo.

At least you guys can do that. I'm still visiting my parents, so no 360 for me. I'll be back on Thursday though! Hopefully right on time for AU2.

Trasher

JdFoX187 said:
Because you are immature and get some kind of kick out of making fun of people on a video game Web site? I don't think anyone here, whether it be Dax or Juices or even some of the HaloGAF clique, deserves the berrading that goes on in here some times.
Your berating (lol @ "beradding") of Bungie is included. Hypocrite.

Jag22

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
He's a really nice guy. He's never really taken anything negative said about him seriously and is friendly to everyone anyway. There's no need to be belligerent.
Nice guys finish last. Just ask a nice person.

SpudBud said:
Holy shit. I love it.

Yeah, I like them. I honestly think those models fit into the rest of the Covenant better than the Brutes in Halo 2 and 3. I did LOVE the variation of the armor designs and different Brutes in Halo 3, but I still think they looked a little too much like apes. But Bungie did a much better job in H3 than H2 masking that. Anyway, love those Halo Wars designs.

SpudBud

2d2f6n8.jpg

Much better then the power ranger looking mofos in Halo 3

Louis Wu

Mr Vociferous said:
Some of you guys need to grab a sheet of paper. Draw a line down the center. Put all of the things you can change in this world on one side and the things you can't change on the other (like Halo 3). Tear the paper along the divided line and throw away the second half.

SHIT

I threw away the wrong half. :(

TDG

Banned
It's funny how quickly the main topic in the thread transitioned from "Dax sux" to "Dax rox" to "Were all bullys" to "You guys never give Bungle crap about ANYTHING" to "You guys need to chill out about Bungie" to "x comes out of Ghaleon's buttocks." It's like watching a child with an extreme case of ADD.
OuterWorldVoice said:
wat. that is practically a PHOTOGRAPH.
My heart was filled with admiration when I saw it. :D

EazyB

Banned
I wrote up a nice long thought out piece but Vista crashed on me so here's an abbreviated version.

There are no Bungie apologists here. We all have our grips about the game. The difference is some feel compelled to state their complaints over and over and over again. I don't know if these people think the repetition will somehow make their claim more valid but I for for one just find it fucking annoying. These are some of the people that get singled out, they're not chosen at random.

If you look through the past 100-so pages, I'm sure you'll find a post by Juices either saying snipers needs its own playlist or that he could make playlists better than Bungie. While I agree that snipers needs its own playlist, I'm smart enough to know that Bungie won't see 50 posts from EazyB saying just that remotely as important as 50 posts by individual users saying that. We get it Juices, you want a sniper playlist, now shut the fuck up would ya.

Juices' playlists are nice, I'd probably prefer them to a lot of the hoppers Bungie has up. But Juices' playlist cater to the hardcore while make up a small minority of the Halo population. Bungie, and Shiska, have more more accurate tools and methods to find what the majority of players would enjoy. Their job is to bring the most people into the game, even if those people are the ones charging from 200 meters with an AR.

Lastly, while it'd be nice if Bungie could be transparent, I feel we have no right to complain. What other developers even do a weekly update, a podcast, and more for their fans? The E3 countdown is a prime exactly of what can go wrong when Bungie tries to forcast what they'll be able to show their fans. I want to hear what Bungie's up to as much as any of you but some of you need to sit the fuck down and be patient.

JdFoX187

Banned
Trasher said:
Your berating (lol @ "beradding") of Bungie is included. Hypocrite.
THere's a difference between calling out people and making fun of them constantly in a thread because you don't agree with their opinions and calling out a developer for the problems in their game. According to half this thread if you say anything bad about Bungie or Halo 3, you should be banished from ever playing Halo again or posting in here.

Here's a newsflash, guys like Juices and myself, we like Halo and we like Halo 3, for the most part. But there are a lot of problems with the game that a lot of people just gloss over. Sure, it might not be a problem for some, but it's a problem for others. And last I saw, this was a thread to discuss that. Some have turned it into a Bungie discussion thread, so we discuss Bungie's problems as well.

If I'm a hypocrite in your eyes, I really don't give a flying fuck. There are a lot of problems with the game and there are a lot of problems with a lot of people in here. I'm not the nicest guy, have been an asshole in here as well and have accepted that. But half of you act like you've done nothing wrong when there's a small group that has done nothing but humiliate a lot of people who try to post in here.

The Halo community is easily the worst group of people when it comes to civilized discussion that I've ever seen. Some of the things said in here put GameFAQs and Bungie.net to shame. And you think you're all above them. And it's sad, because there are some good posters in here like Ghaleon, Voc and Coco as well as others. But some of you just go fucking bezerk everytime someone has a problem with the game in thread made to discuss it.

Jironimo said:
Speaking of decent discussion, I don't know if anyone saw the Brute images from Halo Wars.
For those who can't see, some resized, cropped images of a Chieftain from 2531 - for the viewing:

2ykjszp.png

2ykjszp.png

For what it's worth, I think they look pretty bad ass. It feels somehow appropriate with what was discussed in Contact Harvest, so I'd wonder if there was anything in Staten's novel that influenced Ensemble's art direction here.

Either way, looks awesome.

EazyB said:
I wrote up a nice long thought out piece but Vista crashed on me so here's an abbreviated version.

There are no Bungie apologists here. We all have our grips about the game. The difference is some feel compelled to state their complaints over and over and over again. I don't know if these people think the repetition will somehow make their claim more valid but I for for one just find it fucking annoying. These are some of the people that get singled out, they're not chosen at random.

If you look through the past 100-so pages, I'm sure you'll find a post by Juices either saying snipers needs its own playlist or that he could make playlists better than Bungie. While I agree that snipers needs its own playlist, I'm smart enough to know that Bungie won't see 50 posts from EazyB saying just that remotely as important as 50 posts by individual users saying that. We get it Juices, you want a sniper playlist, now shut the fuck up would ya.

Juices' playlists are nice, I'd probably prefer them to a lot of the hoppers Bungie has up. But Juices' playlist cater to the hardcore while make up a small minority of the Halo population. Bungie, and Shiska, have more more accurate tools and methods to find what the majority of players would enjoy. Their job is to bring the most people into the game, even if those people are the ones charging from 200 meters with an AR.

Lastly, while it'd be nice if Bungie could be transparent, I feel we have no right to complain. What other developers even do a weekly update, a podcast, and more for their fans? The E3 countdown is a prime exactly of what can go wrong when Bungie tries to forcast what they'll be able to show their fans. I want to hear what Bungie's up to as much as any of you but some of you need to sit the fuck down and be patient.

Agreed

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Thermite said:
LMFAO @ this clusterfuck of a thread.

In this thread we talk about this thread.

Still not sold on Halo Wars at all, but I like that Brute armor. More ornamental than Bungie's take, but I love the way the helmet accents the incisors.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
And on that note, look at what Bungie has done since the launch of the game. Regular, monthly updates to playlists. Special, short-term weekend playlists. DLC maps which are several cuts above (most) of the shipping maps. An auto-update that addressed the problem we were all bitching about (mêlée). Playlists created on demand (MLG, SWAT, the upcoming overhaul). Expanding functionality on bungie.net. And then as you said - weekly updates, podcasts. And - I put a premium on this - interaction with us here on GAF. Questions answered. Jokes made. Games played.

To think we're coming up on the first year anniversary of release and we're looking at new maps, a second AU with new achievements, a major playlist overhaul and map variation changes made at the request of the community (Sandtrap, Epitaph, Snowbound).

They'll never please everyone, but I think they do a pretty fine job at trying.

EazyB said:

I actually agree with most of that post, I edited a post a page back saying how I actually DONT WANT Bungie to be discussing everything they do but I doubt it'll get read considering how fast this thread moves. I was ONLY discussing how I wish they'd be less transparent discussing playlist changes for a game that's been out for a year already. I can wait for the next project, I can wait for the next maps, I can wait for TU2. But as a constant player of H3 I would like to know if we're going to get something new to the playlists because I'm getting a bit bored.

Furthermore just to clarify MOST of my Team Snipes rants are actually just when I quote someone else who brings it up. Its mostly me just completely dumbstruck at how completely obvious it is that the population as a WHOLE (NOT JUST ME) wants a Team Snipers playlist, you can see this in the populations during Dbl EXP weekends and all the posts over at B.net, H3F, Here, and any other H3 community. I just want to know if there's a REASON we are not seeing one? Maybe it's not possible?

Oh and one last thing I PROMISE my playlists do not specifically cater to hardcore players. I am not as big of an MLG fan as you think I am. I have updated my playlist changes writeup to make it more clear and concise. I think everyone should take a look at it, although I doubt ANYONE will, because its long and well thought out.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPJ16XMF

EazyB

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
THere's a difference between calling out people and making fun of them constantly in a thread because you don't agree with their opinions and calling out a developer for the problems in their game. According to half this thread if you say anything bad about Bungie or Halo 3, you should be banished from ever playing Halo again or posting in here.
Name one fucking person that hasn't complained about something Halo and I will throw my Halo 3 disc away and play Shadowrun for the rest of my days.

Like I said, everyone complains, it's just the self-righteous and annoying that get "picked on".

Captain Blood said:
:D
Dude, my frail body fell apart after about 8 hours of Rock Band so I hoped on Halo last night. I found the lack of GG disturbing.

Sibylus

Banned
Brute armor looks really nice. But whoa at the crotch armor.

Maybe those H3 prerelease videos caught sight of something after all?

Hey, going off topic hear and it probably belongs in the stupid online matchup forum, but nobody looks there. Can I get some good gaffers to help me get my 50 today, say around 8 pm EST, I'm a 49 right now in TS but I just keep on dropping to 48, and going back up to 49, so if anyone who is pretty good and is not a complete jerk (I have to say that cause I've ran into to to many people like that), help a fellow gaffer out. My GT is CrazedArabMan, thx in advance.

Please someone reply, I'll give you a cookie

Sibylus

Banned
More supposed pics of campaign characters, etc posted at the HBO forums.

link

The designs are intriguing, and it does seem like a lot of work for forgeries.

Louis Wu

xxjuicesxx said:
Furthermore just to clarify MOST of my Team Snipes rants are actually just when I quote someone else who brings it up. Its mostly me just completely dumbstruck at how completely obvious it is that the population as a WHOLE (NOT JUST ME) wants a Team Snipers playlist, you can see this in the populations during Dbl EXP weekends and all the posts over at B.net, H3F, Here, and any other H3 community. I just want to know if there's a REASON we are not seeing one? Maybe it's not possible?

I'm not sure you were actually looking at numbers very closely...

The last time Snipers came up as a weekend playlist, I actually played it a bunch. (I normally hate snipers, but I figured how else am I ever gonna get better?)

Every time I logged on, there were about 20,000 people in the list.

The last few Zombie lists have hovered around 35,000.

I've run into easily as many people talking about how much they hate snipers as I have people who say they love it - my data isn't any more relevant than yours (with 24-hour populations of 7-800,000, the few dozen people - or even several HUNDRED people - we've communicated with really don't even show up in the margin of error), but it's still what I've seen, personally.

EazyB

Banned
Those Halo War Brute concepts look really bad-ass, love the direction they're taking with them. That said, they are just concepts and when they turn those into miniature low-poly models it won't look nearly as good.

I didn't even know the brutes were in Halo Wars.
Does this mean I can command a fleet of choppers?

t4ng0

CrazedArabMan said:
Hey, going off topic hear and it probably belongs in the stupid online matchup forum, but nobody looks there. Can I get some good gaffers to help me get my 50 today, say around 8 pm EST, I'm a 49 right now in TS but I just keep on dropping to 48, and going back up to 49, so if anyone who is pretty good and is not a complete jerk (I have to say that cause I've ran into to to many people like that), help a fellow gaffer out. My GT is CrazedArabMan, thx in advance.

Please someone reply, I'll give you a cookie
I'd help, but I can't tonight...

I'm sure my brother would be down too. He's a 50, I'm a 59.

Sibylus

Banned
EazyB said:
Those Halo War Brute concepts look really bad-ass, love the direction they're taking with them. That said, they are just concepts and when they turn those into miniature low-poly models it won't look nearly as good.

I didn't even know the brutes were in Halo Wars.
Does this mean I can command a fleet of choppers?
Want some false hope (patent pending)?

Ensemble has used higher-poly models and lower-poly models in its games, these may very well be IGC (in-game cinematic) models.

SpudBud said:
Why?

Do you prefer this?

nd4ftd.jpg

LOL maybe it is just me but when I picture brutes they don't seem like the smartest of the Covinent and they seem to me like they would be like hey the elites got crazy armor we want even crazier armor so their helmets really never bothered me. I do like the smaller cap from the halo wars image but I picture when they take the elites role that they would want to emulate the elite look.

t4ng0 said:
I'd help, but I can't tonight...

I'm sure my brother would be down too. He's a 50, I'm a 59.

ok, anyone else think they might be able to help, or I'll just ask later because everyone is discussing the Halo Wars Brute models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom