• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpudBud

Captain Blood said:
Yea if you follow the HBO link with the halo wars pics that guy is the admiral but he reminds me of someone else lol
Unlimited power!

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

Jironimo said:
I'm sure it's completely possible, but just because the people you're around think it's a plausible idea doesn't mean that it is. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to have a Team Snipers Hopper. It screams of a Double XP weekend because it really is a niche gametype and considering there are other more critical hoppers with not enough population (Team Objective), I don't see why they would dwindle down the population even more across hoppers by adding a Team Snipers hopper.

Team Snipers is not a niche playlist. Good enough for a playlist in H2 but in H3 its just a niche?

Plus your entire argument can pretty much be ruined by two words "Rocket Race"

Its not exactly a population dwindling thing. You'd get more people playing it. That'd lead to longer online times for people, newer people playing, older people coming back. It'd be an increase in population.

scarybore

SpudBud said:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2d2f6n8.jpg
Much better then the power ranger looking mofos in Halo 3

It's funny you say that as power ranger mixed with american gladiator is exactly what I thought when I saw this image, and I can honestly say I don't like it much. Sadly most of the Halo Wars character designs leave me cold, much of my dislike going towards the bulky inelegant looking Elites which goes against everything I have learned to appreciate from their design and asthetics in the Halo games so far.

I do like the Serena design, the face is very pleasing but it is very odd seeing an AI in clothing even though I know it is in the lore and all.

Blueblur1

Mr Vociferous said:
Yeah, Contact Harvest should be recommended reading for discussions like this. :p

The Jiralhanae actually were used the first time the Covenant attempted to make contact with humanity's forces on Harvest – the Sangheili didn’t play a role in Human-Covenant interactions till later. The Brutes, although shunted repeatedly by the Elites, were still an applicable part of the Covenant's military for as long as humanity has battled against them. Reading Harvest might actually make you feel bad for the Brute’s placement in the hegemonical ladder of the Covenant’s multi-cultural society too. Although Halo 2 and Halo 3 have, on occasion, painted the Brutes in a monochromatic way with regards to their core culture – there’s a lot that Staten touches on which couldn’t have possibly been conveyed in the game and makes them far more believable, reasonable and cool.

That being said, I can't argue if you don't like the design straight up, but I can say that claiming this (Halo Wars) design's moderate departure from the existing Chieftain design (Halo 3) is more dramatic than the changes which have been made from Halo: Combat Evolved's Spartan, Elite and Jackal designs to the ones we see in Halo 3 (permutations included), well, then I think the opinion is a tad out of touch.

/butthat'sjustmylikeopinionman

Ghaleon, I thought you liked the Halo Wars demo at PAX? :-(
Thanks for the informative reply, Voc. I keep telling myself to read the books but I don't have the patience to sit still much nowadays. >_<

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
Ghaleon, I thought you liked the Halo Wars demo at PAX? :-(
The PAX demo is the only reason for the optimism in my caution. :p

I saw a lot of stuff I didn't like (the absurd back flip-with-twist the Spartans did when boarding the Wraiths, the super powers the Wraiths get when you board them), but the interface, pacing, sound design and visual fidelity were great. I didn't get a feel for the gameplay because it was so brief and I didn't get my hands on it.

I just realized we're all talking about Halo Wars in the Halo 3 thread. Whoops.

Chinner

Banned
just gone back into matchmaking sine i havent played any btb for awhile. the first map that came up was sandtrap VIP but thankfully it was veoted and we got stand off multi flag. i got some nice kills destroyed a warthog which went flying and got a flag cap. may upload the videos so that all 0 of you can watch it

Jironimo

Neo Member
xxjuicesxx said:
Team Snipers is not a niche playlist. Good enough for a playlist in H2 but in H3 its just a niche?

Plus your entire argument can pretty much be ruined by two words "Rocket Race"

Its not exactly a population dwindling thing. You'd get more people playing it. That'd lead to longer online times for people, newer people playing, older people coming back. It'd be an increase in population.
Team Snipers has always been a niche playlist, even during H2. It's a niche in the sense that it's not combat utilizing the complete sandbox as it was designed. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and you don't have to get defensive, it's just what I think.

My argument is not ruined by the fact there was a Rocket Race hopper because Rocket Race should have gone away a long time ago, and Bungie did the exact best thing which was to weigh it in Multi-Team. Head-to-Head is another one which is on the chop block, and they should have put Swat in there too to get axed. As I said, those all scream of double XP and should not minimize the population in actual standard hoppers.

GhaleonEB said:
I just realized we're all talking about Halo Wars in the Halo 3 thread. Whoops.
Where's the Halo Wars thread? If you give me somewhere to put HW stuff, that's where I'll put it. It needs some sort of thread already.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Jironimo said:
Team Snipers has always been a niche playlist, even during H2. It's a niche in the sense that it's not combat utilizing the complete sandbox as it was designed. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and you don't have to get defensive, it's just what I think.

My argument is not ruined by the fact there was a Rocket Race hopper because Rocket Race should have gone away a long time ago, and Bungie did the exact best thing which was to weigh it in Multi-Team. Head-to-Head is another one which is on the chop block, and they should have put Swat in there too to get axed. As I said, those all scream of double XP and should not minimize the population in actual standard hoppers.

Where's the Halo Wars thread? If you give me somewhere to put HW stuff, that's where I'll put it. It needs some sort of thread already.

A thread about a game can't be made unless it's two weeks before release IIRC.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
There isn't one. So go make one! :p

Yup, you're still allowed to make a "Halo Wars hype/info thread" like people do with all other big releases. Just make sure not to make it look like an official thread. :p

Frenck

Banned
2d2f6n8.jpg

It's Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes all over again. I already gave up on Halo Wars when MS announced that Ensemble was making it and I have yet to regret it.

Jironimo

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
Yup, you're still allowed to make a "Halo Wars hype/info thread" like people do with all other big releases. Just make sure not to make it look like an official thread. :p
I don't think I'm the right person to do it since I haven't been here long. Maybe someone like Ghaleon who's known won't have his thread blackballed. How would a thread not look official anyway?

GhaleonEB

ai_02.jpg

Wait a second. Is that real? This whole time I've been assuming it was a piece of fan art, with Natalie Portman's head photoshopped on.

TDG

Banned
Jironimo said:
I don't think I'm the right person to do it since I haven't been here long. Maybe someone like Ghaleon who's known won't have his thread blackballed. How would a thread not look official anyway?
Ghaleon don't know nuthin' 'bout RTSs, he just 'bout as clueless as Mary Jane after her senior prom.

You do it. We respect you (at least I think we do,) and will scare off the haters.

Kibbles

Frenck said:
2d2f6n8.jpg

It's Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes all over again. I already gave up on Halo Wars when MS announced that Ensemble was making it and I have yet to regret it.

I sorta gave up on it when it was announced as an RTS.

kylej

Banned
Jironimo said:
Team Snipers has always been a niche playlist, even during H2. It's a niche in the sense that it's not combat utilizing the complete sandbox as it was designed.

Ya but it uses the Golden Trifecta.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Frenck said:

If you give up on something, then that means that you had some interest in it. I'm not gonna give up on Halo War until I get my hands on it. Only makes sense to me.

Frenck

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
picture of a fairy in a cortana suit

Wait a second. Is that real? This whole time I've been assuming it was a piece of fan art, with Natalie Portman's head photoshopped on.

No matter which way I look at that picture, something is off. It looks like cosplay.

Blueblur1

Halo Kart shall usher in the return of the homing Rocket Launcher! It'll be the red shell equivalent and the Missile Pod shall be the spiky blue shell!

These Halo Wars images {refering specifically to Serena & Palpatine}...
have chilled my bones. Just when I had gone from scepticism to cautious hope..
Ugh.

Please be well written, please be well written *repeats mantra*

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
For all those complaining about brutes.....realistically, when are you ever going to be close enough where it's going to detract from your play experience?

Except for cutscenes, things are small enough that you, the green dudes, blow up the other colored dudes. Nuff said.

Oh, and the third mythbusters was sweet.

Metroidvania said:
For all those complaining about brutes.....realistically, when are you ever going to be close enough where it's going to detract from your play experience?

Except for cutscenes, things are small enough that you, the green dudes, blow up the other colored dudes. Nuff said.

I'm Metroid I don't like people complaining about brutes
identitytheftdwight.gif

I have literally been waiting for you to post so I could use that gif LOL

HugBasket

Banned
Metroidvania said:

shooting apes detracts from the gameplay.

keep that shit in japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom