• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugBasket

Banned
I really don't think it matters what you do to the Brutes because they are boring.

Bungie had a pretty good enemy going and then.. well the last lines of Planet of the Apes say it better than I can.

"You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell! "

Trasher

JdFoX187 said:
But some of you just go fucking bezerk everytime someone has a problem with the game in thread made to discuss it.

Uhhh, I don't think I have seen one post from anyone in here saying that the game is perfect. I'm pretty sure everyone in here has at LEAST one problem with how the game works. But most people post about it once and then discuss it with others if people want to make an effort at discussing the problem. Others tend to post again and again about how stupid Bungie is (for example) for making the decision to remove the Rocket Race playlist, which was a perfectly viable decision seeing as how hardly anyone played the damn thing. It's so much easier (and much more fun) to play it in Customs with friends. That playlist has no business being in the Matchmaking hopper. My point is, before I get sidetracked, everyone has problems with this game, but some of the people in this thread tend to whine and moan about the same things over and over and in return people make fun of them for it. If people are gonna make the same stupid posts over and over, then they should be made fun of for annoying everyone in the thread.

Also was it announced that there was a Star Wars tie in???

dr_01.jpg

I get the feeling he could teach me things I couldn't learn from a jedi :lol :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
t4ng0 said:
I'd help, but I can't tonight...

I'm sure my brother would be down too. He's a 50, I'm a 59.

Sadface. I inv'd you and your bro for some TS with Self and I and you didn't join. :(

Why is Blood double posting?

Blueblur1

SpudBud said:
Why?

Do you prefer this?

nd4ftd.jpg
I actually do prefer that. I like that armor design better. I will say that having a suit covering up the body where armor is covering (much like the Chief) looks much better. If you were to combine both designs in that way, it would be really sweet.

Plus, I never finished the last 2 novels but weren't the Brutes not part of the Covenant armada back then?

GhaleonEB

SpudBud said:
Why?

Do you prefer this?

nd4ftd.jpg

Yes, actually. The Brute design motif is about spikes, edges and edges. The spike rifle, spike grenade, Brute shot, mauler, chopper, prowler - there's a distintive design that runs through them all. They are distinctively "Brute-ish" in design. It's part of their culture.

That carries through to the armor. When I first saw that pic, I didn't know it was a Brute - the hammer and the face are the only indications. When did Brutes fall in love with smooth, shiny rounted surfaces?

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
That carries through to the armor. When I first saw that pic, I didn't know it was a Brute - the brute shot and the face are the only indications. When did Brutes fall in love with smooth, shiny rounted surfaces?
Just looking out for you buddy! :D

Edit: Sadface. You are actually talking about the other picture aren't you? :(

t4ng0

Domino Theory said:
Sadface. I inv'd you and your bro for some TS with Self and I and you didn't join. :(

Why is Blood double posting?
u mad?

i haven't been on much recently - i'd be down to play sometime later this week when i'm not swamped:D

Trasher said:
Damn, I knew you were good, but I didn't know you were THAT good!
better believe it.

HugBasket

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yes, actually. The Brute design motif is about spikes, edges and edges. The spike rifle, spike grenade, Brute shot, mauler, chopper, prowler - there's a distintive design that runs through them all. They are distinctively "Brute-ish" in design. It's part of their culture.

That carries through to the armor. When I first saw that pic, I didn't know it was a Brute - the hammer and the face are the only indications. When did Brutes fall in love with smooth, shiny rounted surfaces?
When they started caring about how they looked.

TDG

Banned
I was with a party of 3 (one guest) today and we got kicked from five of the six games we got into in the pre-game lobby. we finally just gave up and played something else. WTF.
JdFoX187 said:
According to half this thread if you say anything bad about Bungie or Halo 3, you should be banished from ever playing Halo again or posting in here.
You see, it hard to read anything you write when your posts are clouded with so much ridiculous hyperbole. Maybe you had some good points, but when I can't get to the end of your first paragraph without some sweeping, hyperbolic generalization, I just give up.

In the future, if you have a problem with posting habits, I think a better strategy would be to not make silly statements and berate people, but to simply state your problem.

GhaleonEB said:
When did Brutes fall in love with smooth, shiny rounted surfaces?
You mean, fall out of love with them, right? Since the 2531 design predates the one we've seen from 2552.

I don't know, man. I really dig the design. I'm going to go through Contact Harvest later tonight to see if I can draw any parallels between Staten's descriptions and what we see here. I can't say that there's a literal connection, but from a visual standpoint - they look good. The Jiralhanae culture is incredibly intricate and broad, if Staten's novel is any indication. In my opinion, the context of these shots feel really good from what we've read and seen in the Halo fiction at that time period (2525-2531).

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. Plus, this is a Chieftain and someone posted a Captain pic as comparison. The Chieftain's armor from Halo 3 looks considerably more similar, in my opinion, than the armor worn by the Captains or the standard infantry.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GhaleonEB said:
When did Brutes fall in love with smooth, shiny rounted surfaces?
When they turned metro. It's all the rage among kids these days.

SpudBud

GhaleonEB said:

Imo, I don't think the brute armor really follows the motif that the weapons, vehicles set. Shiny brightly colored armor with large ornate headdresses match the dark and brutal look of the chopper and the prowler?

The Halo Wars design maybe too smooth and lacking of spikes but it has got a brutal intimidating look that it think fits the war loving brutes better imo.

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:
You mean, fall out of love with them, right? Since the 2531 design predates the one we've seen from 2552.

I don't know, man. I really dig the design. I'm going to go through Contact Harvest later tonight to see if I can draw any parallels between Staten's descriptions and what we see here. I can't say that there's a literal connection, but from a visual standpoint - they look good. The Jiralhanae culture is incredibly intricate and broad, if Staten's novel is any indication. In my opinion, the context of these shots feel really good from what we've read and seen in the Halo fiction at that time period (2525-2531).

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. Plus, this is a Chieftain and someone posted a Captain pic as comparison. The Chieftain's armor from Halo 3 looks considerably more similar, in my opinion, than the armor worn by the Captains or the standard infantry.
The armor design can be cast off as a nitpick, but it's just reinforcing my view that Ensemble doesn't understand many of the design elements that made up the art of Halo. I'm all for creative liberties - their own take on things - but that's not a Brute. It's entirely incompatible with their culture and the design of everything else in their defined universe (weapons, armor, vehicles).

As a stand-alone character - no context - he looks awesome. No questions asked. But it's not a Brute. I kept saying that Halo Wars looked like an RTS with Halo paint slapped on it, but that's not even Halo-colored paint. It's some other awesome character design, imported into Halo Wars, and called a Brute.

And yes, I'm nitpicking. But the question was asked, what do we think of that. I don't like it.

I remain cautious optimistic about Halo Wars overall, after the PAX demo.

Kibbles

The AI looks bad, the Brute Chief isn't that bad.

Back from being banned for stating my opinion on a NBA game... people thought I was trolling, even though I really don't get a shit about either company's version of a nba game as I don't even play NBA games. Bah :S Good to be back though.

Sibylus

Banned
SpudBud said:
Some do, I remember a couple of AIs in the books where some sort of apparel.
Endless Summer was garbed as a Native American, wasn't he? And Deep Winter was an old man.

The AI at the Spartan training camp was some mythological figure, iirc.

Blueblur1 said:
Plus, I never finished the last 2 novels but weren't the Brutes not part of the Covenant armada back then?
Yeah, Contact Harvest should be recommended reading for discussions like this. :p

The Jiralhanae actually were used the first time the Covenant attempted to make contact with humanity's forces on Harvest – the Sangheili didn’t play a role in Human-Covenant interactions till later. The Brutes, although shunted repeatedly by the Elites, were still an applicable part of the Covenant's military for as long as humanity has battled against them. Reading Harvest might actually make you feel bad for the Brute’s placement in the hegemonical ladder of the Covenant’s multi-cultural society too. Although Halo 2 and Halo 3 have, on occasion, painted the Brutes in a monochromatic way with regards to their core culture – there’s a lot that Staten touches on which couldn’t have possibly been conveyed in the game and makes them far more believable, reasonable and cool.

That being said, I can't argue if you don't like the design straight up, but I can say that claiming this (Halo Wars) design's moderate departure from the existing Chieftain design (Halo 3) is more dramatic than the changes which have been made from Halo: Combat Evolved's Spartan, Elite and Jackal designs to the ones we see in Halo 3 (permutations included), well, then I think the opinion is a tad out of touch.

/butthat'sjustmylikeopinionman

Ghaleon, I thought you liked the Halo Wars demo at PAX? :-(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm really digging the Halo Wars Brutes, but to a certain point. They have the barbaric Halo 2 look to them, with modified Halo 3 Brute armor and weaponry. But at the same time, the Halo 3 Brutes have a sophisticated-murderer look to them; like the Agent 47s of Halo.

But Cortana doesn't look too good in Halo Wars. Bungie's Cortana from each Halo game > Halo Wars Cortana. :p

And even though I see Bungie's vision for Halo being better than any other studio's vision of Halo, I can't say much more since no other studio besides Bungie has worked on Halo so I'm really excited for Halo Wars as it is a new way to play Halo and is being made sans Bungie.

Domino Theory said:
But Cortana doesn't look too good in Halo Wars. Bungie's Cortana from each Halo game > Halo Wars Cortana. :p
I believe that's Serena, the shipboard AI construct from the Spirit of Fire, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know that the two AI constructs are comparable being that they're different constructs, but I think both turned out snazzy.

SpudBud

Domino Theory said:
I'm really digging the Halo Wars Brutes, but to a certain point. They have the barbaric Halo 2 look to them, with modified Halo 3 Brute armor and weaponry. But at the same time, the Halo 3 Brutes have a sophisticated-murderer look to them; like the Agent 47s of Halo.

And even though I see Bungie's vision for Halo being better than any other studio's vision of Halo, I can't say much more since no other studio besides Bungie has worked on Halo so I'm really excited for Halo Wars as it is a new way to play Halo and is being made sans Bungie.
Damn it Domino, you had me thinking you were Blood. Damn avatars.

FFChris

The Brute Chief art looks excellent. Really do like Ensembles design more than Bungies in that regard, they look a lot more powerful. Makes me long for a grittier version of the Halo universe, though I know such thoughts are blasphemy.

Kibbles

Brainboy said:
Oh Ghaleon. Never change.

Seriously though, some of you dudes need to calm down, watch the Mythbusters video (it's sweet) and go enjoy some rounds of Halo.

At least you guys can do that. I'm still visiting my parents, so no 360 for me. I'll be back on Thursday though! Hopefully right on time for AU2.
... wish I could. I'm going to wait and see if that Mythic Standalone MP Map Pack Disc rumor is real, and buy that. If not, I guess I'll still be buying that... and a used copy of Halo 3. My 360 is slowly breaking (can't read discs for shit if it's even minorly scratched) and my Halo 3 does not work at all anymore (for the past few months) for whatever reason.

Jironimo

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
And on that note, look at what Bungie has done since the launch of the game. Regular, monthly updates to playlists. Special, short-term weekend playlists. DLC maps which are several cuts above (most) of the shipping maps. An auto-update that addressed the problem we were all bitching about (mêlée). Playlists created on demand (MLG, SWAT, the upcoming overhaul). Expanding functionality on bungie.net. And then as you said - weekly updates, podcasts. And - I put a premium on this - interaction with us here on GAF. Questions answered. Jokes made. Games played.

To think we're coming up on the first year anniversary of release and we're looking at new maps, a second AU with new achievements, a major playlist overhaul and map variation changes made at the request of the community (Sandtrap, Epitaph, Snowbound).

They'll never please everyone, but I think they do a pretty fine job at trying.
They are really great about the support they give us. The only complaint I have is that at times they tend to lead us on about something new only to continue to tease us later on about it without showing something substantial, but overall that's a very small gripe and it hasn't always been their fault(ex. Bungiegate).

It really is amazing the amount of support Bungie gives their game and their community. If you consider that since COD4 came out that game has been at the top of XBL more than H3; yet it has had significantly less maps, maybe a single Title Update, no play list changes, etc. This is a testament to how good Bungie has been to us in comparison to another leading developer which is something we should definitely keep in perspective.

xxjuicesxx said:
Its mostly me just completely dumbstruck at how completely obvious it is that the population as a WHOLE (NOT JUST ME) wants a Team Snipers playlist, you can see this in the populations during Dbl EXP weekends and all the posts over at B.net, H3F, Here, and any other H3 community. I just want to know if there's a REASON we are not seeing one? Maybe it's not possible?
I'm sure it's completely possible, but just because the people you're around think it's a plausible idea doesn't mean that it is. Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to have a Team Snipers Hopper. It screams of a Double XP weekend because it really is a niche gametype and considering there are other more critical hoppers with not enough population (Team Objective), I don't see why they would dwindle down the population even more across hoppers by adding a Team Snipers hopper.

I think the best thing Bungie could do is handle it exactly how they have in the past, put a good weight on Team Snipers in the TS hopper and make it so that if it gets vetoed that you don't get it as the second option.

TDG

Banned
I played a game on this new map called Ghost Town. Remember hearing about that map? Yeah, it's fun.

It is time. Require Legendary in all playlists, Bungie.
FFChris said:
The Brute Chief art looks excellent. Really do like Ensembles design more than Bungies in that regard, they look a lot more powerful. Makes me long for a grittier version of the Halo universe, though I know such thoughts are blasphemy.
I can't think of anyone who doesn't want a grittier Halo.

If Gearbox is going to make a Halo FPS, I really hope they take it in a new direction. Forget the Halo formula, just give me a lot of interesting new ways to play, make it look cool, let me drive a warthog and have it still be fun, and give the graphics a new, gritty (but not all brown and shit) style, and I'll be happy. In the meantime, go be creative, Bungie. Or work on another multiplayer masterpiece. A sequel to Shadowrun, maybe.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Those brutes look like Chewbacca, and that human face render is a spitting image of Emperor Palpatine.

Special Darth Vader/Stromtrooper units in Halo wars? Maybe.

SpudBud

LAUGHTREY said:
Those brutes look like Chewbacca, and that human face render is a spitting image of Emperor Palpatine.

Special Darth Vader/Stromtrooper units in Halo wars? Maybe.
Halo vs Star Wars, FALL 2008.

Believe.

MasterChief2829 said:
Is that supposed to be an admiral? (The render of a old guy)

Yea if you follow the HBO link with the halo wars pics that guy is the admiral but he reminds me of someone else lol

LAUGHTREY said:
and that human face render is a spitting image of Emperor Palpatine.

Thank you :lol

Ramirez

JdFoX187 said:
Because you are immature and get some kind of kick out of making fun of people on a video game Web site? I don't think anyone here, whether it be Dax or Juices or even some of the HaloGAF clique, deserves the berrading that goes on in here some times. This is a prime example of a thread that should be locked months ago because there's hardly any decent discussion going on other than "OMG, I know this guy who posts here!"

I'm immature? I'm the one that told the kid Eazy didn't want to play with him and was making him look like a fool and to quit trying, it was pathetic. :lol

Shouldn't you be playing Shadowrun or something anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom