• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I have so had enough of playing 50s with 8000 XP in the V-Day playlist.

One team actually standbyed us at the very end of the game in order to get new powerups. Douchebags. :/

MrDaravon

Kibbles said:
Someone found this on H.B.O, mystery solved?

http://www.bungie.net/images/halo3stats/maps/sandbox/006.jpg
006.jpg

I am the only one who thinks this looks like an original Xbox?

EazyB said:
That's what I was wondering. It wouldn't be very practical to have only a single hole to get down. I suppose you could just use teleporters but then you lose the sense of cohesiveness.
Maybe it's both. Maybe there is a hole somewhere to add that sense of it being a real part of the map but you can also use teleporters (just like the sky bubble). You could have teleporters from the top to the middle, teleporters from the middle to the bottom and teleporters from the top to the bottom. That's a pretty big deal. Think about it. The map could have one part Banshee/platform combat, one part Warthog/surface skirmish and a third part being a Chopper pit of flighty brutality.

Now imagine that being part of a CTF match. Insane.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Captain Blood said:
I was looking through bungie favorites just now and this pic looks like it is fucking concept art

stealth.jpg

quite impressive.

Oh, hey wow, that is pretty pimp.

Kibbles

urk said:
Oh, hey wow, that is pretty pimp.
no u.

Seriously, Bungie just blew my mind. That "Bottom Overview" pic is the nail in the coffin. It's like 3 maps in one :lol Nobody can not be satisfied with this map. You have an outdoor forge-centric map, a better indoor forge-centric map, and a forge-centric map up in the sky for falls of doom. All in one map. Absolutely amazing.

EazyB

Banned
Mr Vociferous said:
Maybe it's both. Maybe there is a hole somewhere to add that sense of it being a real part of the map but you can also use teleporters (just like the sky bubble). You could have teleporters from the top to the middle, teleporters from the middle to the bottom and teleporters from the top to the bottom.
Yeah, I thought about it and it makes sense not to create a bunch of holes or a big hole. It would screw up the lighting. The lighting isn't dynamic so having light rays spill out of a plugged hole wouldn't make sense and having no light from a gaping hole would be equally awkward.
All this talk about Sandbox's hole has me pretty hot and bothered.

The lighting is going to have to come from within the bottom section and no where else.

If it's an excavation of a forerunner site maybe the geometry within is forerunner. That'd be cool.
Mr Vociferous said:
That's a pretty big deal. Think about it. The map could have one part Banshee/platform combat, one part Warthog/surface skirmish and a third part being a Chopper pit of flighty brutality.
:lol

TDG

Banned
This map is just crazy. I mean seriously, holy shit. The possibilities seem nearly endless.

Whereas Foundry seemed to highlight the limitations of Forge, I think Sandbox has a chance to realize forge's true potential.

Sibylus

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
"You know how Einstein got bad grades in school? Well mine are even worse!"

-Calvin
"As you can see, I've memorized this utterly useless fact long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You've taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations."

-Calvin

I won't break this chain, no sir!

Kibbles

Botolf said:
Fuck you, Kibbles, fuck you and your pitcher full of liquid hope.
Kibbles said:
Someone found this on H.B.O, mystery solved?

http://www.bungie.net/images/halo3stats/maps/sandbox/006.jpg
006.jpg

Holy shit. Mother of all maps. You can have an inside map with all the amazing customizations, and outdoor map surrounded by sand, a map high in the sky where you can fall off and die, or even all put together.

Bravo Bungie, you just blew my fucking mind.

Eat your words. Nao!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Botolf said:
"As you can see, I've memorized this utterly useless fact long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You've taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations."

-Calvin
Love that one.

EazyB said:
Wouldn't make sense for it to be the portal. If you have to carry the default objects through the portal (which is only in forge mode much like the visible grid?) you'd need a bigger hole for the larger objects to fit through.

That's what I was wondering. It wouldn't be very practical to have only a single hole to get down. I suppose you could just use teleporters but then you lose the sense of cohesiveness.

Perhaps there is another larger way to get to the lowest level other than the center hole and teleporters that hasn't been shown? Hidden for the sake of a last minute announcement?

If this whole (hole) theory is to be believed...

Insaniac

Wow, okay so if sandbox has an underground enclosed then I am impressed, they managed to fit all three styles of maps (open, fall and die, and closed) into one map

EazyB

Banned
Insaniac said:
Wow, okay so if sandbox has an underground enclosed then I am impressed, they managed to fit all three styles of maps (open, fall and die, and closed) into one map
I was already impressed by the sky bubble. If they manage to squeeze in another level along with the $1500/640 object budget then I'm simply going to jizz in my pants.

Insaniac

EazyB said:
I was already impressed by the sky bubble. If they manage to squeeze in another level along with the $1500/640 object budget then I'm simply going to jizz in my pants.

pretty much. So is the LE halo wars the only way to get it though? :( the thought of 80 dollars makes my wallet cry.

LukeSmith

Insaniac said:
pretty much. So is the LE halo wars the only way to get it though? :( the thought of 80 dollars makes my wallet cry.

No these will be available on Marketplace after Halo Wars released (see Urk's updates and the fallout for e-speculation when) and via some other as yet-undiscussed-means.

Tieno

After playing Halo Wars demo I realized I'd like a different kind of Halo RTS. Something more like Settlers, Age of Empires, Civ. Something that doesn't only focus on action and military stuff. My first RTS was Settlers and to this day I always love seeing my little dudes go around the map, building shit, discovering minerals and stuff. I always love the passivist stuff in strategy games and if I happen to get really big then I'll turn on my allies and crush them with sheer numbers. I would have liked to see an RTS that fleshed out the Halo world, now Halo Wars is a very logical extension of the FPS...and while it seems cool I'd love to see something that's not such linear 'one-sided' focus on action if you know what I mean.

I realize Halo is an action game and it's a bit risky to blow it out so much.
I also think if you're going to blow out to that degree, it should only be done by Bungie.

I do have the itch again to play through the campaign of Halo 3.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
"He who has Mythical maps, can forge sandbox maps all he wants"

-Unknown

also, halo wars is awesome

Striker

Digital Limit said:
With such a ridiculously versatile map, it'd seem a waste not to have a hopper devoted to it.
Really hope tons and tons of map variants get inducted into MM ranked, much less a simple version playlist for it (perhaps testing version, I suppose). It failed with Foundry. Let's hope for tons of different types are placed into Team Slayer, Team Objective, Team Snipers, Doubles, MLG, and Squad Battle. Lone Wolves as well. Whether its remakes of Sanctuary, Damnation, or whatever...

Shafto

Just to add to the 'hole in the ground' speculation...

There are Golf Clubs and Golf Balls on the map - and what would Golf be without a Hole to hit your ball into?

Hole in 1 for the Skull?

Walshicus

Tieno said:
After playing Halo Wars demo I realized I'd like a different kind of Halo RTS. Something more like Settlers, Age of Empires, Civ. Something that doesn't only focus on action and military stuff. My first RTS was Settlers and to this day I always love seeing my little dudes go around the map, building shit, discovering minerals and stuff. I always love the passivist stuff in strategy games and if I happen to get really big then I'll turn on my allies and crush them with sheer numbers. I would have liked to see an RTS that fleshed out the Halo world, now Halo Wars is a very logical extension of the FPS...and while it seems cool I'd love to see something that's not such linear 'one-sided' focus on action if you know what I mean.

I realize Halo is an action game and it's a bit risky to blow it out so much.
I also think if you're going to blow out to that degree, it should only be done by Bungie.

I do have the itch again to play through the campaign of Halo 3.
Homeworld 2 Halo mod?
Imperium Galactica 2 Halo mod?
Sins of a Solar Empire Halo mod?
Victoria: An Empire unver the Sun Halo mod?

Shafto said:
Just to add to the 'hole in the ground' speculation...

There are Golf Clubs and Golf Balls on the map - and what would Golf be without a Hole to hit your ball into?

Hole in 1 for the Skull?
If had to choose between either reveal -- how they plan on implementing the skulls on each map or the "bottom" level of Sandbox -- I would choose the skull system.

Dax01 said:
If had to choose between either reveal -- how they plan on implementing the skulls on each map or the "bottom" level of Sandbox -- I would choose the skull system.

Ehh, they haven't done anything on the other maps.

Digital Limit said:
Ehh, they haven't done anything on the other maps.
Which makes it even more desirable to know. How they plan to "hide" the skull on Sandbox could give us a clue as to how they plan to do it on the other maps.

Louis Wu

Dax01 said:
That's a reveal Bungie will NEVER provide.

You'll get it from YouTube, once the map is out, or you'll find it yourself... but Bungie doesn't give away stuff like skull locations - ever.

LukeSmith said:
No these will be available on Marketplace after Halo Wars released (see Urk's updates and the fallout for e-speculation when) and via some other as yet-undiscussed-means.
Can't wait to find out exactly what this means.

Digital Limit said:
With such a ridiculously versatile map, it'd seem a waste not to have a hopper devoted to it.
Thought that this would be a good idea initially, but the more I consider it, the more I feel that having a hopper just for this map would be problematic and wasteful. The map has two or three large regions, all self-contained but all able to be linked. This tells me that Sandbox could have small, isolated variants, a fraction of the size of Lockout, or massive, sprawling, three-tiered variants which are larger than anything else we've played thus far.

There's a lot of disparity between those two scales. Having a singular playlist to support only Sandbox would denigrate the flexibility of the map -- its primary selling point. I mean what would the playlist include? Small maps, midsize maps, large maps? How many players? What gametypes? Asymmetrical or symmetrical gametypes? Each choice would segment off the total number of people interested in playing Sandbox variants.

Who knows, they might do a Sandbox only playlist, but I think it might be better served to spread Sandbox out over the required playlists as each variant fits.

Louis Wu said:

You'll get it from YouTube, once the map is out, or you'll find it yourself... but Bungie doesn't give away stuff like skull locations - ever.
And sometimes they don't even admit that such things exist until after a YouTube goer discovers them -- which was the case in Halo 2 if I recall correctly.

Louis Wu said:

I don't want to know the location, I want to know how they will implement a "skull system" in multiplayer maps.

Louis Wu

Dax01 said:
I don't want to know the location, I want to know how they will implement a "skull system" in multiplayer maps.
That's part of what I meant.

Discovering how they implemented it is most of the fun. There's no way they're going to spoil that with a 'reveal'. Who do you think they are... Ensemble?

Sai-kun said:
AS a gamestop employee:

halo 3: ODST, 59.99 rating pending, 9/02/09

wat ><
Honestly, I don't doubt this pricing. Microsoft is putting Bungie over the barrel again, for one last time.

They'd probably make more money with a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom