• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

I hope this isn't too much of a stupid question ,but ive never had experience with buying additional content in games before or how to access them. So I had to start a new game on Mega Man 10 as I couldn't transfer my old save and I bought the extra stages. How do I now access them? Do I have to beat the game first before I get to select the stages?

I thought I could play them on the go but I don't see them.

So I noticed the levels are actually in time trial. Must say that disapointed me a bunch. I was expecting a unique challenge with lack of weapons and only the buster. I have always loved the first GB Mega Man game and the redesigns of the Willy Stage are terrible. They could at least just kept some of the challenges and enemies of that level like the partswhen you fall down (some odd redesign choices!). The forced moving platforms were just oddly placed along with those bomb counting platforms. Plus the mega man 10 enemies don't always fit so well with these levels. It feels like there is a lot of unecessary open spaces. I like level 2 and 3 much better at least. It is neat that you get the weapons after you clear the levels, which definetly adds some interesting gameplay elements.

Alex

I've been playing a fair bit of Megaman again lately, just felt like it, the only real NES games I still really love, I may have grew up during the age, but I just don't hold much nostalgia for any of it.

Still, if I had to rate, for me it'd be more like

2 > 3 > 10 > 9 > 4 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8

Some of the later games really do take a bad rap for some good design deviations, but I really do in this case think there is a huge strength to the balance and flow on 2 and 3 and 10 especially.

9 I really do love, but it really went too far with some of it's stage difficulty in spots. I like challenge, but a lot of Megaman games really could go too far and that's what did more damage to the series than anything for some of the titles.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:
yes. i did it.

200/200 points. all achievements.

never thought i'd get mr. perfect... but with enough practice it's definitely doable.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/jarosh-gaf/mm10-achievements.jpg[/IMG

yes, i'm proud... and a bit vain :P

you mean the scrolling? that's just mega man 4. same goes for the robot master health meters: they take [I]forever[/I] to fill up. just mm4's usual shittiness on display.[/QUOTE]

Nice work. Just completed this myself and I can agree: it was definitely something that I originally thought would be impossible. I almost gave up a few times on Wily 4... When I delivered that final blow to his second form, the feeling of relief was overwhelming, haha. After that Wily 5 was a cakewalk!

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/20b1kc8.png

Finally got this with the current half off sale. Playing it on easy first cause I don't give a shit about hardcore rep. I'm partway through Wily's castle and really enjoying the game so far. This one has some really fun weapons and some cool stage themes they haven't done before. Rad music as always. I think I'll get plenty of replay value out of this with normal mode, Protoman, and all that. A steal at 400 MSP.

Yep, awesome game. After beating it as Megaman on Easy, I tried a Megaman Normal run, but I'm still too much of a pussy for that. So I'm doing a Protoman Easy run instead. I didn't get the MM9 Protoman DLC so this is my first time playing as him basides in Power Battle. The shield is pretty rad once you get used to it. I think I'll pick up Bass mode after I finish this Protoman run.

Any word on a Megaman 11?

Wizpig

Parallax Scroll said:
Finally got this with the current half off sale. Playing it on easy first cause I don't give a shit about hardcore rep. I'm partway through Wily's castle and really enjoying the game so far. This one has some really fun weapons and some cool stage themes they haven't done before. Rad music as always. I think I'll get plenty of replay value out of this with normal mode, Protoman, and all that. A steal at 400 MSP.
Hmm, it's not really a matter of "hardcore rep", imho.

EDGE's review of this explained it: the game is less memorable if you play it on Easy.
It's too easy.
You'll finish it too quickly and, essentially, you'll forget about it in a few months.

But yeah, Proto Man is hard already, so doing an easy run with him is the best.
I did the same.
But first I did a normal run with Mega Man... and I also was at the beginning of a hard run with Bass but damn, it's too hard. :lol

No words on Mega Man 11, btw. :p

Wizpig said:
Hmm, it's not really a matter of "hardcore rep", imho.

EDGE's review of this explained it: the game is less memorable if you play it on Easy.
It's too easy.
You'll finish it too quickly and, essentially, you'll forget about it in a few months.

But yeah, Proto Man is hard already, so doing an easy run with him is the best.
I did the same.
But first I did a normal run with Mega Man... and I also was at the beginning of a hard run with Bass but damn, it's too hard. :lol

No words on Mega Man 11, btw. :p
It's not like I don't plan on ever playing Normal. I'm just easing into it.

Another thing is that I find it a lot more fun to figure out stuff like boss weaknesses and optimal level orders by trial and error, rather than just looking it up on gamefaqs. Playing the first few runs on Easy actually gives me the chance to experiment without having to worry too much about getting killed.

Bass mode is fun. Definitely worth the $2. He's overpowered, but overpowered can be fun sometimes. Now that I've cleared Easy with all 3 characters, I'm doing a Normal run with Bass. Then I'll probably do either Megaman or Protoman on Normal.

my streetfighter 4 fightpad came in so that was a good excuse to finally get cracking on MM10. playing mega man on this pad feels so much better than trying to play with the regular 360 controller (which is what I used to play through MM9!)

I picked proto man because I like listening to his whistle. plus -- a change in pace is nice. as usual, I don't look up the boss order and I play on normal.

took blade man first. took him down without too much trouble. I usually have good luck with blindly picking a megabuster-friendly first boss. next took commando man's stage and failed. switched over to pump man and took him down. took a few tries, but it wasn't too bad. used the mega buster again.

been playing mega man games since I was a kid and I dig these new old school ones... I hope they do some in the 16 bit mega man x style sometime, but in actual widescreen. I appreciate graphics and presentation being a throwback, but some modern concessions (namely wide screen) wouldn't detract at all.

Pretty much spot on, but it's easy to be spot on 6 month after the release and after reading tons of impressions in various forums :lol I don't agree with him about the soundtrack, he makes it sound like it really sucks, but I think there is a couple of great tunes, like Sheep Man or Nitro Man, I really like Solar Man too.

I agree with the overall difficulty balance and the lame special weapons though. I still had a lot of fun with 10.

Wizpig

RockmanWhore said:
Pretty much spot on, but it's easy to be spot on 6 month after the release and after reading tons of impressions in various forums :lol.
I don't know about that; i mean, i don't know if he read other impressions... i don't think so.
I don't agree with him about the soundtrack, he makes it sound like it really sucks, but I think there is a couple of great tunes, like Sheep Man or Nitro Man, I really like Solar Man too.

I agree with the overall difficulty balance and the lame special weapons though. I still had a lot of fun with 10
Absolutely.
Too much hate for the soundtrack.

Davey Cakes

It's not spot on at all. I loved Mega Man 9 and there's no way that Mega Man 10 is that much worse, especially in terms of soundtrack and bosses. And especially soundtrack.

I'm really surprised that, apparently the guy played the game so much, but that in the end he still thought that basically none of the tracks were up to the series' caliber. When I played Mega Man 10 I noticed over an extended period how much of a grower the soundtrack was. Yeah, it's not as immediately great as 9's, and in the end probably isn't as good overall either, but it's both different and good in ways that do the series justice.

I do agree on how Mega Man is less about "more content" and more about just the focus of the main experience, though. Mega Man 9's challenges were a good addition, and so were the extra levels, but there is a point of going overboard.

And really, I'm saying this as someone who's watched many of the HVGN's other videos, including his MM9 review and Earthbound review, both which I heavily enjoyed. I just think he missed the mark with MM10, taking the predictable "not nearly as good as MM9" route, especially when, y'know, there's a lot more to it than that.

I didn't like Mega Man 10 all that much but I'm glad they made it, or I'd have always wondered where they would go with another retro-title. I'm glad they're onto something else now.

Thread is only 20 pages deep ...makes me sad =(

Anyway, I finished this on normal a month or so ago.
It's soundtrack is definitely a grower and does indeed have some of the best tracks in the series history.
I enjoyed it in the end but much less so than the revelation that was MM9.

Cocopjojo said:
Nice work. Just completed this myself and I can agree: it was definitely something that I originally thought would be impossible. I almost gave up a few times on Wily 4... When I delivered that final blow to his second form, the feeling of relief was overwhelming, haha. After that Wily 5 was a cakewalk!

20b1kc8.png

WHAT THE! ....HOW THE!? ...

( O__o)

nbraun80

Segata Sanshiro said:
I didn't like Mega Man 10 all that much but I'm glad they made it, or I'd have always wondered where they would go with another retro-title. I'm glad they're onto something else now.
what makes you think they're moving on, i wouldn't be surprised to see a mega man 11...

nbraun80

Segata Sanshiro said:
IntiCreates is on another project now, so unless someone else is doing it, it's not coming.
true, but it's really unless Capcom to walk away from a cash cow like that. I've got a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of retro mega man (hopefully)...

natedog4000 said:
true, but it's really unless Capcom to walk away from a cash cow like that. I've got a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of retro mega man (hopefully)...
It's not like Capcom to walk away from a cash cow, that much is correct. However, I'm not entirely sure Mega Man 10 was a cash cow.

jarosh

i used to agree with segata and was really down on mm10 at one point. but after i had spent a long time with it, getting all the achievements and replaying it many MANY times (especially on the harder difficulties), i've really come to love the game (all of this already happened several months ago). it's certainly not the best in the series and i still think the soundtrack in the first half of the game is pretty weak. but i really dig everything about the wily fortress now and i like quite a few of the robot master stages. it is nowhere near the trainwreck that mm4 was.

i'm sorry, segata, can we still be e-buddies? :'(

nbraun80

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's not like Capcom to walk away from a cash cow, that much is correct. However, I'm not entirely sure Mega Man 10 was a cash cow.
I'm not entirely sure either, it would be nice to see an XBLA sales chart or something from microsoft. But I've got imagine that mm9 and mm10 sold pretty decently combining the Wii, xbla, and psn sales and the low overhead of it being a digital download to make a fairly good profit...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I dislike a lot of the bosses and most of the weapons, but I'd still put the total game in the top five. It's got some absolutely fantastic platforming and the soundtrack, while not rock solid like 2 or 9 has some absolutely great tunes.

You want to know the main reason it has so many detractors? It's because MM9 is that damn good and makes any game coming after it look bad by comparison. It took around twenty years for them to make a game as good as MM2 again!

jarosh

Man God said:
I dislike a lot of the bosses and most of the weapons, but I'd still put the total game in the top five. It's got some absolutely fantastic platforming and the soundtrack, while not rock solid like 2 or 9 has some absolutely great tunes.

You want to know the main reason it has so many detractors? It's because MM9 is that damn good and makes any game coming after it look bad by comparison. It took around twenty years for them to make a game as good as MM2 again!
all true. the weapons are indeed mostly useless. and most of the robot masters were disappointing as well. but a lot of the stages themselves are still pretty damn fun and well designed (definitely NOT strike man's or commando man's though). overall it doesn't come close to mm9's greatness, but it's still a pretty damn solid entry.

natedog4000 said:
I'm not entirely sure either, it would be nice to see an XBLA sales chart or something from microsoft. But I've got imagine that mm9 and mm10 sold pretty decently combining the Wii, xbla, and psn sales and the low overhead of it being a digital download to make a fairly good profit...
Oh, I think MM9 sold quite well, which is why we got MM10. But I don't think MM10 repeated the success. Well, I mean, obviously it wouldn't, because it wasn't in the same position as MM9. I don't doubt MM10 made money, but the question is, did it make enough money to tie up staff that could be working on something else more profitable than the likely even further diminished returns MM11 would bring?

jarosh

as curious (and scared) i am about mega man universe, i really do want mm11. i never want the classic series to stop, ever... :'(

jarosh said:
as curious (and scared) i am about mega man universe, i really do want mm11. i never want the classic series to stop, ever... :'(
I hope they go back someday, but IntiCreates really are better off if they keep moving. It seems like if they stay on one series too long it doesn't take them long before they're stuck in a creativity rut.

nbraun80

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, I think MM9 sold quite well, which is why we got MM10. But I don't think MM10 repeated the success. Well, I mean, obviously it wouldn't, because it wasn't in the same position as MM9. I don't doubt MM10 made money, but the question is, did it make enough money to tie up staff that could be working on something else more profitable than the likely even further diminished returns MM11 would bring?
yeah, you're probably right, it's probably just the NES and SNES fanboy in me loving these retro game and wanting more...ha

jarosh

Segata Sanshiro said:
I hope they go back someday, but IntiCreates really are better off if they keep moving. It seems like if they stay on one series too long it doesn't take them long before they're stuck in a creativity rut.
i fear that mmu will be such a massive disappointment and bomb so hard that capcom will shelve the (classic) franchise again for many years :(

i'm not sure if inafuna REALLY knows what he's doing and *gasp* what "the fans want" (not that that's relevant).

jarosh said:
i fear that mmu will be such a massive disappointment and bomb so hard that capcom will shelve the (classic) franchise again for many years :(

i'm not sure if inafuna REALLY knows what he's doing and *gasp* what "the fans want" (not that that's relevant).
I'm waiting to see what MMU is first before I really panic.

I do think that Mega Man has never been at greater risk than it is now. Zero's dead, X is dead, ZX fell flat, the RPG series have run out of sales steam... Mega Man is basically sitting on the last frontier of viability via the console DD services.

jarosh

yeah, pretty much. and that's why i am a bit worried. it seems like this is their prime chance to screw up the rest of the franchise and what remains of classic mega man, for good.

Wizpig

=(

I basically "discovered" Mega Man just a few years ago with the first Battle Network, and classic Mega Man with 9... and guess what, a few years after the situation is like this.

I'm hyped for MMU, sure, but i'd like a proper retail Mega Man game.
Legends 3, a new ZX, something on the 3DS, i don't really care, just don't let Mega Man become a DD-only series.

Wizpig

Yay!

9e143df3aee07ce7f3f41154fdccbe35.png

and of course i still miss these two

fb7d16654d3271563975f71895b6f2de.png

That said, I think Bass has pros and cons.

He's absolutely broken (broken, cheap, all you could say) against the bosses... take Wily 2, you can go under him and shoot UP... but in the actual levels having to stop sometimes to shoot can fuck you up badly.

I think the way to do "hard" is actually with Mega Man...

Krelian

Does anyone know if I can fall in a pit and get rescued by Beat when doing a Mr. Perfect run? I assume so, since I don't take any damage, but I want to be sure and I can't find any information on it.

jarosh

Krelian said:
Does anyone know if I can fall in a pit and get rescued by Beat when doing a Mr. Perfect run? I assume so, since I don't take any damage, but I want to be sure and I can't find any information on it.
yes, you can.

Roto13

I played the Wii version, so I don't have any achievement or trophy list to prove it, but I'm pretty sure I did all of the challenges except the Mr. Perfect one.

Odrion

Banned
MM10 did feel a little like a cash-in, while MM9 felt like something more meticulously crafted out of pure love for the source material (or fear of upsetting fanboys.)

I still really enjoyed MM10, it does enough things right to be considered awesome.

Now we get to see Capcom totally fuck up all of their good will with Megaman Universe. Hooray.

leroidys

I'm trying to beat the game on hard now, can't get past wily 2. Playing as mega man, any tips? Can you get all the achievements with bass?

yurinka

I think Mega Man 11 will be developed, but right now doesn't make sense because they're working in Mega Man Universe. Maybe after that, who knows...

Boney

Banned
Wizpig said:
=(

I basically "discovered" Mega Man just a few years ago with the first Battle Network, and classic Mega Man with 9... and guess what, a few years after the situation is like this.

I'm hyped for MMU, sure, but i'd like a proper retail Mega Man game.
Legends 3, a new ZX, something on the 3DS, i don't really care, just don't let Mega Man become a DD-only series.
Get the Zero Collection, thank me later.

Also, the thread title :lol

OnPoint

yurinka said:
I think Mega Man 11 will be developed, but right now doesn't make sense because they're working in Mega Man Universe. Maybe after that, who knows...

I feel like they need to give it a little time. If they could bring the X series back and stagger the releases, that'd be an awesome strategy.

Medalion

Banned
I was just watching a walkthrough of Mega Man 10, it really does look very easy and very rushed of a game, tons and tons of callbacks to previous games, particularly the Wily Stages, recycled enemies and bosses, and sections in the game stretched out for the sake of stretching out some parts. Glad I didn't get this one.

Wizpig

Medalion said:
I was just watching a walkthrough of Mega Man 10, it really does look very easy and very rushed of a game, tons and tons of callbacks to previous games, particularly the Wily Stages, recycled enemies and bosses, and sections in the game stretched out for the sake of stretching out some parts. Glad I didn't get this one.
Wut.
The only thing easier than Mega Man 9 is the final boss.

At the Wily stages and getting my ass kicked. I shuddered at the thought of grinding on previous stages so I could buy a ton of lives and tanks. But I started doing it. Then I realized I can only have 9 of each! I'm fairly new to MM so this probably the norm, but -- goddamn. All the way through with just 9 lives? It took everything I had just to beat the first Wily stage with my last slice of energy and no extra lives left. Not sure I have the patience to sufficiently memorize all this. Shame to get this far and quit, though. :\

Top Bottom