• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGaf Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thread

r.pad

terrene said:
Unless you meant to say something other than what you literally declared ("no rational person thinks FF7 is the best in the series"), there is no missing context to be had. If you didn't mean to say it, learn to write and stop calling people "ingrates."

Here is the whole of your original text:
Yeah, clearly I'm way off base...

You posted half of that reply. I said it was only part of it. Apparently that's too difficult for you to understand. I was having a conversation with someone else and part of it dealt with his thoughts on VII, part of it didn't. You're the one that's selectively quoting and accusing people of trolling, ergo I pretty much think you're an ingrate.

kittel

Flock said:
Hey any tips for beating
genesis, the final boss

thanks

What I did was spam graviga for part 1, healing when he lifts the sword and then osmose and quake for part 2

r.pad

Flock said:
Hey any tips for beating
genesis, the final boss

thanks

Costly Punch and Gil Toss make the fight pretty easy. Darkness or Quake are good for when other baddies are summoned.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Flock said:
Hey any tips for beating
genesis, the final boss

thanks

I used that materia that always gave critical damage when attacking. Don't know the name, but I think you obtain it somewhere along the story. Was pretty easy that way.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Teetris said:
I used that materia that always gave critical damage when attacking. Don't know the name, but I think you obtain it somewhere along the story. Was pretty easy that way.
Vital Slash. I don't remember where you get it first, but it's fairly easy to acquire.

LowParry

Is it normal to have the feeling of not wanting to finish the game? I haven't had the desire to finish Crisis Core. Maybe the missions that I've been debating on doing all of has killed the game for me. Eh. I'll get to it at some point I"m sure.

Ferrio

Banned
CcrooK said:
Is it normal to have the feeling of not wanting to finish the game? I haven't had the desire to finish Crisis Core. Maybe the missions that I've been debating on doing all of has killed the game for me. Eh. I'll get to it at some point I"m sure.

Called it! Don't do the bloody missions man.

I'm in the same situation, I'm right at the end now. But I want to finish the missions first. I don't want to finish the game because I probably won't pick it up for a while if I do.

CcrooK said:

I had a stupid moment. I was picking up some rare materia and I noticed it didn't show up in my materia list. Eventually I realized that your materia list can actually max out. Weird cuz the item list doesn't max out ... does it? So I missed out on some rare materia :( Guess I can fuse it ..

-xBerserker- said:
I had a stupid moment. I was picking up some rare materia and I noticed it didn't show up in my materia list. Eventually I realized that your materia list can actually max out. Weird cuz the item list doesn't max out ... does it? So I missed out on some rare materia :( Guess I can fuse it ..

Convert SP all the low lvl materia like fire/blizzard/thunder, hp/mp/ap, atk/mgc/vit/spr, and any extras you know youre not using. If you wanna be safe, at least get rid of the ones you can easily buy back from the shops.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think I'm in the beginning of chapter 4. Or maybe it's 5 now. But all I know is that I've got 50-some% of the missions completed and that I'm level 74 or 75.

BUT I WILL NOT CONTINUE WITH THE STORY UNTIL I RUN OUT OF MISSIONS.

Man, this is so tedious. The missions are taking so much longer to complete now.

zoukka

I haven't touched the game since my last post :( What a fucking miserable let down. And to think I dared to hope it would be a proper VII-compilation title.

Square Enix need only to remake VII with AC-everything and there you have it. The most brilliant conspiracy of all time is complete. The ruination of the game of the forever. It could only be done from inside...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
People who start on Hard mode or who plan on completing the majority of the missions, run a real risk of burning themselves out on the actual game. Hard mode doesn't reward you better, and as said, the missions are really really repetitive.

Finish the damn story first, enjoy the music and the closure, and then if you want to 100%, feel free to in the New Game+.

Shouta

I finished the game on Hard mode. I just played until I felt like finishing and then did. =o But yar, it's more of a slog to get through on the whole.

zoukka

Yeah I guess I would have finished if I had chosen normal :( Now I just can't muster the energy to star over or grind away on HARD.

I just hate easy games so naturally I thought hard would be better but I never realised how repetitive this game was.

Shouta

Well, when you can fuse a Blast Wave, it gets a lot easier. I just run through missions and blow the enemies away with it. :lol

Fuu

spindoc said:
People who start on Hard mode or who plan on completing the majority of the missions, run a real risk of burning themselves out on the actual game. Hard mode doesn't reward you better, and as said, the missions are really really repetitive.

Finish the damn story first, enjoy the music and the closure, and then if you want to 100%, feel free to in the New Game+.
This is right. I did a few missions during the main game when I felt like it, finished it and now I come back to my new game+ from time to time to do more missions and complete them someday.

I never had the notion that after reaching the end of a game I should never play it again... In fact, I never finish my games for the first time on 100%, I let such things for my replays if the game is good. And if the game is so-so or bad, no reason to aim for a perfect score/play anyway.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I finally finished this .... trite game.

Man, I'm tempted to call it "bad" - I certainly was disappointed.

Oh well, it had its saving graces... I actually got into the story (enjoyed it), Zack Fair is an awesome character, and this game introduced Kunsel who really was the #2 of the whole experience.

Besides that and the flashy graphics, there wasnt much else enjoyable about it.
Beat it in just under 18 hours and 12% missions, which is roughly 2% more than I wanted to do (but had to do a couple more since I couldn't beat
that stupid Genesis copy with the wings before the final battles
)

Oni Jazar

I've played under an hour on Hard and while I like the challenge, the fact that you cannot skip cutscenes makes it beyond annoying. After beating GOW: COO on Hard it saddens me that I'm going to play it on normal (which from accounts that I've heard is too easy). I wish there was a difficulty level inbetween (or A WAY TO SKIP CUTSCENES!)

Seriously the year is 2008. ALL GAMES should have skippable cutscenes by now. I almost didn't finish GOW at the final boss encounter because of that shit.

Also is there a way to turn off subtitles? I hate it because I stare more at the words then anything else on screen.

Monocle

Mejilan, you should probably stop trying to complete all the available missions before you continue the story. You'll find yourself seriously overleveled before long (although it sounds like you are already), and it could ruin your enjoyment of the game. The later missions are longer and more difficult than you'd expect. Save yourself a lot of unpleasantness: progress through the story until you reach the final dungeon and then decide if you want to complete the remaining missions. I think you'll better appreciate CC this way. A New Game + will allow you to tear through the game as an overpowered badass if that's what you want.

spindoc said:

This is absolutely correct. Hard mode basically makes battles about 5 times longer, and that's it. The mode is strictly for players who have already finished the game and want their replay to be a challenge. Personally, I don't think it should even be selectable until Normal has been cleared. Attempting a first play on Hard is just a ticket to major frustration.

Mejilan

Yep, I originally started a Hard file, then switched to a Normal when I realized that it added an enormous level of tedium to the an already tedious game.

Shouta said:
Mejilan: Blast Wave is your friend.

Nah, I pretty much Mug everything and then use the resulting materias in constant fusions. I'm trying to 100% all of the big materias that way.

Shouta

Mejilan said:
Nah, I pretty much Mug everything and then use the resulting materias in constant fusions. I'm trying to 100% all of the big materias that way.

I mugged then Blast Wave'd them out. :lol

Really, getting through the missions is the fastest with Blast Wave. Then I go back and worried about Materia afterwards.

Mejilan

Well, I'm pretty much one-shotting everything with Mug. And I'm way too lazy to keep on switching attacks. The game's pretty mindless, so I typically do it while listening to music on my iPod (when commuting) or watching some DVDs (at home).

I pretty much suck @ RPG games and the last one I played was FFX. Would you reccomend this to a total newbie? I've got a PSP, PS3 and PS2, but really wanted to get a grip of an RPG on the PSP.
Any suggestions

r.pad

Mecha_Infantry said:
I pretty much suck @ RPG games and the last one I played was FFX. Would you reccomend this to a total newbie? I've got a PSP, PS3 and PS2, but really wanted to get a grip of an RPG on the PSP.
Any suggestions

It's not nearly as involved as FFX. Go for it!

surazal

Finished this game a few days ago.

My only complaint is that they should've added the option to skip cutscenes. I played the game on Hard mode all the way through and died many times. Big cutscenes before a boss should be skippable.

Hard mode requires you to actually learn the combat system and materia fusion. Hard mode is almost impossible without doing the missions. A few people I talked to thought the game was too easy and all they need to do during combat was press X. I think they should've made a new Normal Mode that was in between the difficulty of the current Normal and Hard. Change the old Normal mode into Easy. The new Normal mode would be balanced so that players would need to learn how to dodge and block, but not so hard as to require spending lots of time in the missions to power up.

100% on the missions, getting all items and materia and beating the game took about 68 hours on hard.

Oni Jazar

Sounds like they really needed to include a difficulty level between medium and hard. I finally got to the save point inside the Wutai fortress on Hard and that was a bitch and a half.

toneroni

Oni Jazar said:
Sounds like they really needed to include a difficulty level between medium and hard. I finally got to the save point inside the Wutai fortress on Hard and that was a bitch and a half.

yeah that was really annoying

SomeDude

Banned
The only thing I really liked about the game was probably Zack, who is one of the best FF characters ever. Although seeing as how most FF characters are caricatures, that isn't saying much.

B.K.

I beat the game on Normal and started a Hard game on New Game+. I've spent 50 hours in hard mode and only have 55% of the missions finished. I must be doing something wrong because most of the missions are impossible for me to beat. Even the ones labeled as Easy are impossible.

what is the name of the song in this part of the game

after Zack falls from the sky and lands in Areith's flower bed her theme plays " A Flower Blooming in the Slums (from FFVII "Aerith's Theme")", but once you are done talking to her and walk around the church and can save another song starts, what is that song called?

DiddyBop

just finished the game. GREAT production values,everything was very slick. the ending was pretty well presented and emotional.
seeing zack laying there dying and bleeding to death was real tough, also the thing that hit the hardest is that he didnt even get to say bye to aerith, she has no idea what has happened to him.

great game overall,battle system was quick so random battles didnt become annoying,and the missions were strangely addicting. this makes me want to replay ffvii so bad. cant wait till they re-release it or remake it,cause we all know they will revive the game somehow. also, Zack has quickly catapulted to being one of my fav FFVII characters,square did a really good job at not making him annoying or corny.

Fuu

Ken Masters said:
what is the name of the song in this part of the game

after Zack falls from the sky and lands in Areith's flower bed her theme plays " A Flower Blooming in the Slums (from FFVII "Aerith's Theme")", but once you are done talking to her and walk around the church and can save another song starts, what is that song called?
I believe it's the track that plays in the church, "Sky - Blue Eyes". Beautiful song.

B.K. said:
I beat the game on Normal and started a Hard game on New Game+. I've spent 50 hours in hard mode and only have 55% of the missions finished. I must be doing something wrong because most of the missions are impossible for me to beat. Even the ones labeled as Easy are impossible.

oh, then you're doing it wrong then lol. it's easy when you have strong magic attack that takes them out at once.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I've been grinding through the missions to take on the optional boss.

I have to say, the missions in 9-4-x onwards have a sudden jump in difficulty. Enemies will blitz you with all kinds of status effects. Every other monster has Death chained to its melee, enemies have 200-500k of HP. They spam Ultima spells, Graviga, Regen and Curaga. God help you if you don't have something against Stun or Stop!

The worst is when you're fighting a large mob who will hound you nonstop with attacks, interrupting your own attacks, magic etc. Endure seems like a must, unless you can one hit these freaks! I've had to constantly re-equip Zack for every individual mission at this point.
Makes for some interesting compromises but I wish the game forced me to do that earlier on, not when I'm at 96% completion!

Right now I'm stuck in one mission where I have to kill 3 Cactuar. They stay in proximity of each other, and spam Needles of Death, which is a long AOE multiple hit attack. I get caught in one attack, I eat two more.(About 30k of HP). Cactaur seems to be highly resistant to magic and melee. Costly Punch is the only attack that works, but these guys have 500 or 600k of life!

What's the easy way to get rid of them?

r.pad

spindoc said:
Right now I'm stuck in one mission where I have to kill 3 Cactuar. They stay in proximity of each other, and spam Needles of Death, which is a long AOE multiple hit attack. I get caught in one attack, I eat two more.(About 30k of HP). Cactaur seems to be highly resistant to magic and melee. Costly Punch is the only attack that works, but these guys have 500 or 600k of life!

What's the easy way to get rid of them?

I had the same problem. Someone else here recommended that I use Dash. It worked like a charm!

Oni Jazar

spindoc said:
Makes for some interesting compromises but I wish the game forced me to do that earlier on, not when I'm at 96% completion!

This makes me very scared to have picked the Hard difficulty level.

Top Bottom