• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

So I just started playing RF:G for PC. Why the hell do my "remote charges" keep detonating on their own? I will be setting up charges around a site and suddenly they will go off, ruining my elaborate plan. They seem to detonate on their own anywhere from 3-10 seconds after planting the first one. What gives?

Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot. I had ctrl set to secondary detonation, and control is the crouch button so apparently I was detonating them whenever I'd crouch, haha.

Got this game on boxing week and have finally had the time to make a significant dent in it recently.

Love it to pieces...it's up there with Uncharted 2, Bioshock and Fallout 3 as one of my favorite games this generation.

Also, it's earned it's place along with Crackdown and inFamous as one of the only sandbox games I've ever been able to enjoy although it's better than both of those put together.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I got this game from gamefly the other day, and am having a lot of fun with it.

I'm in Eos right now, so I assume I'm nearing the end of the game.

The destruction is fucking ace. I like the fact that you can progress through the game without having to play mission types you don't want to.. with the exception of the story missions which have been pretty good thus far.

I do think the game suffers a lot from it's open endedness though. Many of the missions lack any real structure.. while that is a strength 90% of the time, sometimes the game makes it all but impossible to survive unless you go to a predetermined spot. There have been several missions where you aren't going to get very far unless you figure out what the designers want you to do. Either make the game work for any approach the player wants (Crackdown) or make the missions more structured (GTA4). At times this game tries to have it both ways and comes up a bit short.

The fucking raid mission types however are a complete blast.

Minor screen tearing here and there, the landscape is a bit repetitive after a while. I mean, I guess it looks like Mars so that's cool and all, but everything looks a little to samey for my tastes.

I hope to have this game beaten by Monday morning, so I'll post my final thoughts after that, but so far it's pretty solid.

I need to play through this game again.

I have to say it was a little disappointing compared to Saints Row 2. Sure the destruction was great, but not getting dudes to follow you and not being able to customize anything, in any way, was a bummer to me.

Also, walker garage DLC was sorely needed.

ScHlAuChi

Finished this recently - the tech is impressive and tons of fun to play around with, but i think they should have concentrated the game even more on the destruction.

Will be interesting to see what they can do with this tech once PS4 and Xbox720 comes around ;)

StoOgE

Alright.. I'm about halfway through the last mission. I was having a ton of fun with this game. It has a lot of issues, but it was pretty fucking fun.

This game turned into a massive steaming pile of shit over the last 5-6 levels in the game.

Hey, you know what is a ton of fun? Lot's of driving. without any enemies chasing you. Just driving for 5-10 minutes at a time for no real reason.

You know what every game needs? Shitty fucking missile command knock offs. You might think you want to play a fun shooter with destructible environments.. but you don't. You want to play missile command. Except opposite I guess. It's like being the bad-guy in missile command.

Also, instead of the fun game that let you choose your own approach, we are going to have an insanely slow corridor shooter as you ascend a mountain in a tank going a whopping 5 miles an hour. Also, there will be no enemy AI. The challenge to beating the level is going to fall solely to figuring out who is shooting you quick enough to shoot them back. The bad-guys won't move. But you are so insanely slow you can't dodge anything. BRILLIANT!

The game was fun, right up until you have to go into the Irradiated Zone. At that point someone fell asleep at the wheel with this game.

At some point I will finish the last mission just so I can say I beat the game. But right now I have more fun things to do, like pound nails through my head.

I played this immediately after finishing Mercenaries 2, and RFG did not fare well in comparison. The destruction was impressive but having recently played the BFBC2 beta I wasn't as impressed with that aspect as I might otherwise have been. But for me the most serious flaw is the feel of driving in the game (i.e. the driving mechanics); I suppose the setting dictates unusual physics but ultimately driving the vehicles I find to be an exercise in frustration, and since that's what you spend most of your time in the game doing I can't say that I've derived much enjoyment from RFG. Which is disappointing, especially given that I loved Mercenaries 2. I'm about half way through the game and I've decided to lay it aside for a while, which is something I haven't done for any game this generation.

StoOgE

Regarding the vehicles I've found it's best to stick with "medium" weight vehicles. The heavy ones handle like pigs.. plus they nearly stall out going up steep inclines. The light ones fly around way too much.

The medium ones (pick ups, Baja truck looking stuff) are pretty controllable.

StoOgE

I beat the game this morning. Ironically, I beat it on my first try. I wound up ditching the giant slow ass tank and just grabbed a car. Then when that was about to blow up, hopped out and grabbed another one and just flew through the level. Then when that blew up, I hugged the walls of the mountain and worked my way up without actually shooting anyone. Run+jetpack gets you past pretty much any baddies.

After about 3 minutes I made it to all of the outlanders or whatever the fuck those sandpeople looking dudes are. Instead of helping them I just jetpacked up the mountain to the boss. Having all of my big rockets (forgot their name) made that fight insanely easy.

As you can see from my post last night, I have major problems with the end-game of this title. I still feel like they lost focus of what made the game fun for the first 5-6 hours and tried to change the formula to make it feel more epic.

My other complaints with the game are that much of the devastation I brought didn't last. When I take out a huge bridge in an epic shootout it is pretty disconcerting to see the same fucking bridge right back where it was a few hours later. Several buildings I took out also reappeared later. I brought one of the two skyscrapers under construction down in a level that I thought was pretty fucking epic. It was back the next time I loaded up the game.

The game is fun. Now that I have beaten the game I'm having some fun going through and trying to finish leveling up all of my weapons. I don't really know what the point of that is going to be though since there isn't really anything I can do with it once I have everything super-powered.

I may give online a go here in a few minutes to see if it's fun. I had fun with the game, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. Strong rental recommendation.

StoOgE

So I played a little of the online play. Had some fun with it. Takes about 20 minutes to get a match going though. Looks like it was probably a lot of fun back when this game was hopping. But like an other Xbox Live game not named Halo or Call of Duty, it's online play seems to be a ghost town 6 months later.

I did have a chance to play the destruction mode with one of my friends. She had no idea what the fuck was going on, but it looked to be a fun party mode if you had some hardcore gamer friends IRL. All of mine are casual at best, so that's not gonna happen :(

I played through and completed 50 guerilla missions. Now that the game is finished they are kind of pointless and I got bored. I don't like several of the mission types (rescue, time trial) so I stuck pretty much to the raids, demolition missions and some of the ones where you run around on the back of the truck shooting stuff. Then I got bored because there is no point to powering up my weapons since there is a lack of shit to blow up anymore. Should have had a new game + option. Or at least reset some of the stuff (high value targets)

Anyway, game is back in the mail so this will be my last bump.

Daigoro

i bought the PC version from D2D for $5 this weekend and installed it. got to play for about 15 min today.

not sure why i completely ignored this games release (never played the first 2 games, might have something to do with it), i didnt even realize it was going to be 3rd person until i started playing.

so far it seems like a lot of fun. its good looking, the destructible environments are cool. the sledge hammer is awesome.

5 bucks seems like a steal for this game. i guess the DLC never came out for the PC version?

StoOgE said:
So I played a little of the online play. Had some fun with it. Takes about 20 minutes to get a match going though. Looks like it was probably a lot of fun back when this game was hopping. But like an other Xbox Live game not named Halo or Call of Duty, it's online play seems to be a ghost town 6 months later.

yeah, that is a sad fact of today's gaming culture. it sucks. :(

RFG is soooo gooood. Best game all summer long. My friends and I rolled through the team anarchy and siege playlists. Rarely ever lost. Hypno Hammers FTW

Boerseun

Banned
Daigoro said:
i bought the PC version from D2D for $5 this weekend and installed it. got to play for about 15 min today.

5 bucks seems like a steal for this game. i guess the DLC never came out for the PC version?

The separate downloadable content from the console versions is already built into the PC version. At least that's the case when buying it boxed from retail.

OneLetter

Tomorrow on XBL we've got a bunch of RFG-themed Avatar Items being released. Pictures below:

RFG_XBLAvatars.jpg

More Shirts: http://community.redfaction.com/sites/redfaction.com/files/images/RFG_XBLshirts.jpg

More Hats: http://community.redfaction.com/sites/redfaction.com/files/images/RFG_XBLhats.jpg

I really wish we could've made an Ostrich Hammer :(

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
endlessflood said:
I played this immediately after finishing Mercenaries 2, and RFG did not fare well in comparison. The destruction was impressive but having recently played the BFBC2 beta I wasn't as impressed with that aspect as I might otherwise have been. But for me the most serious flaw is the feel of driving in the game (i.e. the driving mechanics); I suppose the setting dictates unusual physics but ultimately driving the vehicles I find to be an exercise in frustration, and since that's what you spend most of your time in the game doing I can't say that I've derived much enjoyment from RFG. Which is disappointing, especially given that I loved Mercenaries 2. I'm about half way through the game and I've decided to lay it aside for a while, which is something I haven't done for any game this generation.
Wow. Hard to believe anyone favors Mercs 2 over RFG. I loved the first Mercs and feel like RFG is the real successor to that game. Real, physics-based destruction, actual danger and tuned combat. M2 was a buggy, poorly tuned MESS from start to finish.

Daigoro

avatar stuff for RFG, now? thats odd... not very timely.

Boerseun said:
The separate downloadable content from the console versions is already built into the PC version. At least that's the case when buying it boxed from retail.

cool, thanks.

StoOgE

shrinkingviolet said:
Wow. Hard to believe anyone favors Mercs 2 over RFG. I loved the first Mercs and feel like RFG is the real successor to that game. Real, physics-based destruction, actual danger and tuned combat. M2 was a buggy, poorly tuned MESS from start to finish.

Kind of my opinion as well.

Mercs 2 is ok-ish.

RFG was more fun for sure.

mclaren777

News about the sequel leaked out at GDC and I'm sure a quick Google search will provide more information. ;)

Bilson was tight-lipped on other details but did confirm the upcoming open-world third-person shooter would be far more "structured," akin to a "narrative" shooter. The sequel will still feature the destructibility Bilson says cost THQ "a fortune" to develop for Guerrilla, but will have a much greater impact on cities built closer together in the tight confines of the new underground world.
Either way, I don't like what I'm hearing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
mclaren777 said:
News about the sequel leaked out at GDC and I'm sure a quick Google search will provide more information. ;)

Ditching the open world for better missions/layouts: sounds good.

Having anything more to do with the horribly boring storyline in the first game: sounds bad.

I mean, cmon! I'm in freaking outer space, on MARS, driving around IN MY CAR ON THE FACE OF MARS and we have to go through this slow and generic storyline.

I repeat, I AM ON FREAKING MARS BLOWING UP SHIT WITH A HAMMER. Let's spice up the story just a tad, eh? Or better yet, have little story at all. :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yay, Sequel, Yay! Hopefully more timed destruction missions (loved these) and fewer driving missions (hated these). And more Troy Baker if it's a sequel with the same characters.

chubigans said:

Having anything more to do with the horribly boring storyline in the first game: sounds bad.

I mean, cmon! I'm in freaking outer space, on MARS, driving around IN MY CAR ON THE FACE OF MARS and we have to go through this slow and generic storyline.

I repeat, I AM ON FREAKING MARS BLOWING UP SHIT WITH A HAMMER. Let's spice up the story just a tad, eh? Or better yet, have little story at all. :D

The last game's story was pretty much non existent. You were basically just told to blow shit up in any way you can.

Making it a more linear experience would completely destroy what makes GeoMod and RF so awesome.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
chubigans said:

From my understanding of that thing, it's still open world. It'll just be more like Mafia's open world than GTA's probably.

I'm fine with that.

Guerilla's story didn't really even make sense.

Darklord

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Bilson was tight-lipped on other details but did confirm the upcoming open-world third-person shooter would be far more "structured," akin to a "narrative" shooter. The sequel will still feature the destructibility Bilson says cost THQ "a fortune" to develop for Guerrilla, but will have a much greater impact on cities built closer together in the tight confines of the new underground world.

Honestly, if it didn't have that level of destruction...I wouldn't give a crap about it.

Fired this up for the first time this weekend, I think I'm about halfway through (just liberated Badlands and am in Oasis now). I'm really liking this game, I wish they would let you play around with the destructibility more without consequence though, I'd love to just run around and blow shit up without the EDF coming after me.

I don't like how some story missions won't come up unless you accomplish some unnamed objectives, I couldn't get the last mission in Badlands to come up at all and wasted a long time not knowing what to do. I decided to destroy some high importance target (air control tower or something) which triggered the next story mission to appear, I would have done that right away if I'd have known.

As for controls, I wish LT were to enter precision aiming and R3 to be melee. I also wish there was a roll dodge, so many times I need to get away from a collapsing building quick because I was standing inside or underneath it with the sledge :lol

All in all I'm really liking it though and cant wait to play more. Is the voice announcer the same guy from Crackdown?

ElFly

When the EDF comes after you, blow them up too. Then grab their vehicles and run away in those.

That will teach'em.

Gryphter said:
Fired this up for the first time this weekend, I think I'm about halfway through (just liberated Badlands and am in Oasis now). I'm really liking this game, I wish they would let you play around with the destructibility more without consequence though, I'd love to just run around and blow shit up without the EDF coming after me.

I don't like how some story missions won't come up unless you accomplish some unnamed objectives, I couldn't get the last mission in Badlands to come up at all and wasted a long time not knowing what to do. I decided to destroy some high importance target (air control tower or something) which triggered the next story mission to appear, I would have done that right away if I'd have known.

As for controls, I wish LT were to enter precision aiming and R3 to be melee. I also wish there was a roll dodge, so many times I need to get away from a collapsing building quick because I was standing inside or underneath it with the sledge :lol

All in all I'm really liking it though and cant wait to play more. Is the voice announcer the same guy from Crackdown?

that's the second option for "On foot" controls. It's in the options menu.

Will agree that I preferred being a guerilla more in The Saboteur.
Shit just gets to crazy in RF =/

Gryphter said:

The last story mission in each area won't show up until the EDF's control meter is at zero. It's explained at the very beginning of the game.

The Interrobanger said:
The last story mission in each area won't show up until the EDF's control meter is at zero. It's explained at the very beginning of the game.

ahhh, I missed that, was it in the handbook? I don't look at that ever

I also hate the hostage missions, they're the 1 mission where I'll just go do something else. It's so easy to get sidetracked in this game, you're often driving past something and decide to go destroy it, or a convoy mission starts up while you're heading somewhere else. It reminds me of Borderlands in a way because you can spend a lot of time playing without realizing.

Late to this quote, but this actually sounds quite a bit better than what we got in RF:G.

Can't wait for E3! :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just a heads up to all you PC users, they just released a patch that finally allows you to force start the game in DX9. DirectX 9 runs a lot better and has a much more stable framerate. It broke triple-buffering for me though :(

Patch said:
DirectX 9 or 10 selection will now be available using the "-nod3d10" launcher parameter.

OneLetter

Here's the full patch notes for the PC players in here:

* DirectX 9 or 10 selection will now be available using the "-nod3d10" launcher parameter.
* Fine Aim can now be toggled at any time except for sprinting.
* An option for "V-Sync" will be added to the "Options" menu.
* Fixed an issue with weapon selection sticking.
* Fixed Siege and Damage Control target indicators so they will now stay in their proper positions within 16:10 resolutions.
* Fixed an error in the resolution list where previously only 16 resolutions could be shown at once.
* Fixed an error where an "Enter" hint was being displayed during auto-saving.
* Windows 7 / Vista speed-up issue has been corrected.
* Launcher will now default to "Normal" priority instead of "Above Normal".
* Turret sensitivity has been tweaked to feel more natural.

It's available for download via either GFWL, Steam, or manual patch.

I bought this game when it came out, played the MP quite a bit, spent a few hours in the SP before getting pissed off and then I traded it in because nobody played MP anymore and the SP annoyed me. But after reading this thread I think I'm gonna pick it up again and play on easy. I hope it's more enjoyable that way.

AwesomeSyrup said:
I bought this game when it came out, played the MP quite a bit, spent a few hours in the SP before getting pissed off and then I traded it in because nobody played MP anymore and the SP annoyed me. But after reading this thread I think I'm gonna pick it up again and play on easy. I hope it's more enjoyable that way.

Made a thread bout it but went from being indifferent to absolutely loving it when I switched from Normal to Casual.

Feels like everything can breath

Wow, last mission is a little nuts. I could see why people would get flustered with it on higher difficulties

Opinion on RF:G Overall?

I FUCKING LOVED IT

Can't wait for E3!!! :D :D :D

...oh and got DLC to mess with also

Top Bottom