• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

LiveWire

Having missed out on the Gamecube version I'm excited to go out and pick this up tonight after work. A quick question to those who've played: where does this game fit in the storyline? I've only played the following RE games:

RE1
RE2
RE:CV

I think I know what happened in RE:3 (basically just Jill's story in Raccoon City while Leon/Claire were running around in RE:2?), but I don't know what occured in RE:0 or if there's any other RE games in the timeline.

cvxfreak

Sounds like Umbrella Chronicles will be a good game for you to play since it covers some lost ground for you. :)

The chronology goes:

RE0 (July 23, 1998)
RE1 (July 24, 1998)
Outbreak (end of September)
Outbreak File 2 (end of September)
RE3 Part One (September 28, 1998)
RE2 (September 29-30, 1998)
RE3 Part Two (October 1, 1998)
Gun Survivor (November 1998)
CODE: Veronica (December ~29-30, 1998)
Gun Survivor 4 (September 2002)
Umbrella Chronicles new scenario (???)
RE4 (2004)

LiveWire said:
Having missed out on the Gamecube version I'm excited to go out and pick this up tonight after work. A quick question to those who've played: where does this game fit in the storyline? I've only played the following RE games:

RE1
RE2
RE:CV

I think I know what happened in RE:3 (basically just Jill's story in Raccoon City while Leon/Claire were running around in RE:2?), but I don't know what occured in RE:0 or if there's any other RE games in the timeline.

It takes place after RE:CV and ties in a bit with RE2. All the info from RE3 that you need to know is covered in the opening movie, basically the US nukes Raccoon City. You dont need to know anything from RE0.

whats the most effective order to upgrade my guns in, considering I hate using the TMP and won't use it? I was thinking of pumping up the bolt action rifle just because it looks so cool and waiting until I get to upgrade the shotgun until the one in the castle becomes available.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
reggieandTFE said:
whats the most effective order to upgrade my guns in, considering I hate using the TMP and won't use it? I was thinking of pumping up the bolt action rifle just because it looks so cool and waiting until I get to upgrade the shotgun until the one in the castle becomes available.

I did an "Ironman" run when the PS2 version hit. Essentially stuck with the default old-and busted gun-types w/no upgrades. Made the game a bit more interesting compared to my run using all the most high-tech fully modded weapons(aka Win button) on the GC original.

Ultimately it matters little because most every gun is viable I've found. Carry around a pistol, shottie, sniper and you're set for the game. If playing on Normal difficulty, it's almost moot where your money goes.

aeolist

Banned
If you skip the medium attache case, don't bother to upgrade the initial set of weapons, and hit every treasure and gem drop you can get the good shit right at the start of the castle and keep it all fully upgraded for more or less the entire game.

Edit: The weapons I always go with, by the way, are Red9, Riot Gun (hate the Striker), Semi-Auto Rifle, Broken Butterfly, and TMP.

cvxfreak

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
I'll be playing the game in less than an hour... I'd like to know how to play with my NGC controller... do I take the batteries out of the wiimote?

Disconnect the nunchuck.

But try the Wiimote controls first.

SofaKing said:
you think Nintendo we'll come out with their own gaming piece like this? this thing looks so ****ing cool i don't know if i could wait, or should i wait?

how do you hold b to aim and reload? What if you want to access the menu?

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this game looks worse than the GC version.

Seriously, I can't put my finger on it - but the game looks awful. Colors are washed out, it's nowhere near as sharp...

cvxfreak

Cold-Steel said:
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this game looks worse than the GC version.

Seriously, I can't put my finger on it - but the game looks awful. Colors are washed out, it's nowhere near as sharp...

I think the true widescreen is the cause. Makes the dithering stand out more. But I myself am awaiting for a more official response on the issue.

nathkenn said:
Haha, I had no idea you could shoot the chains on the dragons in the fire pit.

Cool never knew that. One of the cool things about this wii edition is finding out all the things you can shoot now that the cursor turns red when you find something.

cvxfreak

MiamiWesker said:
Cool never knew that. One of the cool things about this wii edition is finding out all the things you can shoot now that the cursor turns red when you find something.

Not only that, but the rumble too.

D3RANG3D

Cold-Steel said:

Do you have a HDTV? Cause on my TV which is SD, it looks better, their is a night and day difference.

MrDaravon

aeolist said:
If you skip the medium attache case, don't bother to upgrade the initial set of weapons, and hit every treasure and gem drop you can get the good shit right at the start of the castle and keep it all fully upgraded for more or less the entire game.

Edit: The weapons I always go with, by the way, are Red9, Riot Gun (hate the Striker), Semi-Auto Rifle, Broken Butterfly, and TMP.

In all my playthroughs, I've never messed with the Mine Thrower, I really need to one of these days :lol

I usually don't upgrade/buy any weapons until the Castle, but I never thought of skipping the medium attache case, hmm. I usually go Blacktail/TMP/Striker/Semi-auto Rifle, and whatever the best magnum is (I think it's the 2nd one that you can buy at the end?). I like the TMP personally since I'm big on conserving ammo by shooting for the legs than kicking/suplexing/knifing. Maybe on my next playthrough here on Pro I'll pass on the TMP and check on the Mine Thrower or something. I go with the Striker over the Riot Gun because of the exclusive upgrade (100 ammo) and it takes up less inventory space. Generally if I want to do anything other than point-blank damage I don't want to use the shotgun anyway, so the Riot Gun doesn't appeal to me as much usually. I never ever use the magnum except for the 2nd
Krauser
battle so I don't mess with it much.

I play conservatively, so with focusing more on getting enemies knocked down/on their knees, the specific variances between the different handguns doesn't matter too much to me, and that's also why I always get the TMP right away, which a lot of people never bother with at all.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
my God, what a jype. i beat the game once through, i beat assignment ada and seperate ways, and got the second special costume. now i don the pimp suit and what the hell do i get but cut scenes without it. it looks as though they just copy and pased the PS2 model too. man i'm pissed about this >:|

MiamiWesker said:
Yes, love the little rumble. :)

god I hate it! and I guess that if I turn the vibrations to "off", the game won't rumble at all :/

well, my impressions so far (already beat the game on NGC 4 times):

graphics: looks like crap, but that's because I'm playing in composite... Going from the NGC's RGB to composite was awful. AWFUL, I tell you.

controls: after completing the first chapter playing with my NGC pad (I also tried with my dualshock 2, but aiming with L2/R2 was a pain in the ass), I played through chapter 1.2 with the wiimote... and I'm not convinced so far. Waggling for the knife or shaking out a ganado is fun, yet it feels a little bit gimmicky so far... And aiming is easy, like a lot of you said, yet I didn't see much difference compared to the NGC pad (I think I'll notice a difference once I get a sniper rifle). Oh, and I hate the crosshair, too big. I'll also have to try the game with my other wiimote, since sometimes the crosshair would just freeze on the screen (I got a gameover because of that)

Other than that, it's still a ****ing great game, great animation, great action, can't wait to play more!

Question for cvxfreak: in the area where you first learn about the blue medals, where there are chickens and cows, was there a dog in the previous versions? I don't recall seeing one before

Xavien

Question for cvxfreak: in the area where you first learn about the blue medals, where there are chickens and cows, was there a dog in the previous versions? I don't recall seeing one before

Even though this is for cvxfreak, yes there was a Dog in that area for the GCN version, i dunno about the PS2 or PC versions but i can imagine it was in both of those too.

fernoca

I like the little sound of radio static through the Wiimore speaker; every time you receive a message from Hunnigan. :)

Im not cvx but yes there was always a dog there.

Xavien said:
Even though this is for cvxfreak, yes there was a Dog in that area for the GCN version, i dunno about the PS2 or PC versions but i can imagine it was in both of those too.

also, no subtitles during cutscenes... is that normal? (I only played PAL version before so...)

miamiwesker: I asked cvx because he's like the biggest resident evil geek here (no offense meant cvx). thanks to you too

also, no subtitles during cutscenes... is that normal? (I only played PAL version before so...)

miamiwesker: I asked cvx because he's like the biggest resident evil geek here (no offense meant cvx). thanks to you too

I know that :)

Never seen subtitles before, so yeah its normal I guess.

Vyse The Legend said:
Sadly, the sniper rifles use the analog stick to aim rather than the motion control. It sucks majorly.

Well it makes sense since they're probably using the same mecanic of the gc version....

Artanisix

I just got done watching an 18-hour play through of RE4:Wii on Stickam. The guy had never played RE4 before and paused every few minutes to look up what to do on a FAQ. Aside from the obviously bad playing, the game looks great and I may have to pick it up myself (I did previously own the GC version by the way).

The play-through was absolutely hilarious with all the people watching and commenting.

Warning: Near end-game spoiler pic
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE

Christopher

wow this is like the only RE game I never needed a FAQ for, it's just so striaght foward...I mean really.

As for the the ammo - shoot and kick!

Vyse The Legend said:
Sadly, the sniper rifles use the analog stick to aim rather than the motion control. It sucks majorly.

that sounds... wiitarded...

ah, something else just popped into my mind: I remember capcom announcing a new difficulty in the game (amateur right?), but when I selected "new game" it didn't give me any choice. I don't care about easy and amateur level difficulties, but was just wondering why it was missing...

cvxfreak

that sounds... wiitarded...

ah, something else just popped into my mind: I remember capcom announcing a new difficulty in the game (amateur right?), but when I selected "new game" it didn't give me any choice. I don't care about easy and amateur level difficulties, but was just wondering why it was missing...

Amateur was added into the Japanese (and PAL?) PS2 version and subsequently brought to Wii. It wasn't in the U.S. version on PS2 or Wii.

Not sure what Capcom USA has against difficulty modes. They docked them from Shin Onimusha and CODE: Veronica too.

aeolist

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
In all my playthroughs, I've never messed with the Mine Thrower, I really need to one of these days :lol

I usually don't upgrade/buy any weapons until the Castle, but I never thought of skipping the medium attache case, hmm. I usually go Blacktail/TMP/Striker/Semi-auto Rifle, and whatever the best magnum is (I think it's the 2nd one that you can buy at the end?). I like the TMP personally since I'm big on conserving ammo by shooting for the legs than kicking/suplexing/knifing. Maybe on my next playthrough here on Pro I'll pass on the TMP and check on the Mine Thrower or something. I go with the Striker over the Riot Gun because of the exclusive upgrade (100 ammo) and it takes up less inventory space. Generally if I want to do anything other than point-blank damage I don't want to use the shotgun anyway, so the Riot Gun doesn't appeal to me as much usually. I never ever use the magnum except for the 2nd
Krauser
battle so I don't mess with it much.

I play conservatively, so with focusing more on getting enemies knocked down/on their knees, the specific variances between the different handguns doesn't matter too much to me, and that's also why I always get the TMP right away, which a lot of people never bother with at all.
There's only two Magnums, and the Broken Butterfly is way way way better than the Killer7 once you get it fully upgraded.

I pretty much just save my Magnum rounds for the blind guys and
the Right Hand.

Well I've put about an hour into this and I'm really surprised by how much I like it. I totally disagree with those who thinks it looks worse. The GNC version was unplayably ugly on my DLP while the Wii version looks just like I remember it on my old CRT. The only complaint I have about it visually is the underscan which seems to show up on at least half of the Wii games I own (it doesn't bother me as much as it used to but still WTF?) but besides that it looks great.

The new control method did feel a little weird at first since it feels like you're using both hands to do everything that should be done with one but it's definitely growing on me. I don't know if it's intentional but the controls make the game feel a little more claustrophobic and unnerving to me. I want to put more time in but so far it's 30 dollars very well spent.

MrDaravon

aeolist said:
There's only two Magnums, and the Broken Butterfly is way way way better than the Killer7 once you get it fully upgraded.

I pretty much just save my Magnum rounds for the blind guys and
the Right Hand.

I'll have to give the BB a go this run then. Looking at it's stats, I'm not sure why I haven't before. You get Killer7 upgrades soon I think. Usually on the boss you mention there I cop out and use the rocket launcher :lol

just got to the second shooting gallery.

the wiimote has made replaying this game so much better. my least favourite parts in the original were the rooms that featured waves of monks and chapter three as a result was always a bit of a drag for me... but now with the wiimote you can just cruise through those parts.

for anyone playing this the first time, don't bother upgrading your original handgun or the shotgun. you don't need those weapons souped up to get through the first two chapters of the game. put all your upgrades into the tmp... and don't bother with the rifle at all. it's completely pointless now that you have wiimote aiming.

though i did pick up the auto rifle and am upgrading that so that i won't be caught with my pants down when you know what shows up.

the graphics have held up really well. it doesn't hurt that the last time i gave RE4 a vigorous play session it was the PS2 version. the difference between the two is just so great.

i forget how awesome the smoke was
when you're fighting the second stage of the village chief on the upper level of the buring hut. that bit is so much better when he comes lunging out of the smoke.

LiveWire

I'm going to post this is the buy-sell-trade thread, but figured I'd post it here too. I'd like to get a hold of the GameCube versions of RE:0, RE2, RE3 and RE:CV. If anyone has them and would like to trade for or sell them, PM me or post in the thread. Thanks! :)

Zep

Banned
IGN Insider did a head2head...overall they said:

Overall Winner: Wii
Runner-Up: PS2
Third Place: GameCube
Dead Last: PC

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Synbios459 said:
Anyone wish they could buy ammo?
u sort of can, just upgrade the capacity to whatever u need to reload.

anyway, still fuming about the lack of cutscene support for the mafiadon suit and the suit of armor. it would have been so sweet to see those in the cutscenes, now i just skip em over. pretty lame. made it to 3-2 on my second run through. got the tommy gun at the expense of matilda and the shotgun. pretty well spent though. taking down ganados is pathetic.

Top Bottom