• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

ZeoVGM

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Well, after a mysterious thread closure, sp0rsk has reopened the thread up. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I spent like 10 minutes looking through it trying to find a reason why it was locked. lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Picked it up today after work and I really suck at it so far. I'll put in some meaningful time tomorrow.

dkeane

Synbios459 said:
Are there less red and yellow herbs then the GC ver?
Seems like there are less herbs all together, and ammo. It's a good thing though because the Wii controls make it a bit easier.

cvxfreak

I just downloaded a savefile from www.wiisave.com and began playing Separate Ways. Is it just me or is the font slightly different? I also swore Ada's grapple gun wasn't called a Hookshot in the PS2 version.

Xavien

SailorDaravon said:
I'll have to give the BB a go this run then. Looking at it's stats, I'm not sure why I haven't before. You get Killer7 upgrades soon I think. Usually on the boss you mention there I cop out and use the rocket launcher :lol

In Professional Mode, you virtually need to use the rocket launcher for
Right Hand
, if you don't you wont have enough ammo to get through the rest of the game :p

cvxfreak said:
I just downloaded a savefile from www.wiisave.com and began playing Separate Ways.

Wiisave is such an awesome idea.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
you know what capcom should have put into this game for the Wii version? a Wiimote weapon that you can only get after unlocking everything and costs a crazy amount of cash or something. i dont really care, i just think it would be awesome to have a Wii Remote weapon that shoots a laser beam or something. if you do so decide to bring it to the Wii capcom, make sure you put something like it in RE5. they could do it in UC, but it wouldnt be as awesome then. :lol

Dez

I'm trying to think of a way they could have done the rifle controls with the wiimote. Both Nintendo (in twilight princess, with the hawkeye) and Capcom failed to do it. I think the only way would be to move the camera with the pointer, and allow a button or gesture to act as "picking up the mouse". Unfortunately devs seem to be afraid of doing this because it could mean a spaztastic camera if your hand isn't steady.

Linkup

Dez said:
I'm trying to think of a way they could have done the rifle controls with the wiimote. Both Nintendo (in twilight princess, with the hawkeye) and Capcom failed to do it. I think the only way would be to move the camera with the pointer, and allow a button or gesture to act as "picking up the mouse". Unfortunately devs seem to be afraid of doing this because it could mean a spaztastic camera if your hand isn't steady.

They could always design a buffer to handle that. By now I've figured it most be much more difficult to actually design a buffer to handle the wiimote data than it seems. I think it's possible, just not with these ports. RS has a sniper rifle that works fairly well so there is some proof it can be done.

Why do I always speak. Then suddenly stop. When I'm posting on GAF? Who knows.

StranGER

found it finally. sold out everywhere near me it seems.

i have no idea why reviewers had control issues. soon as i inverted the look it played just fine. more head shots then ever before.

laserbeam

Banned
first time ive ever played it and so far am greatly impressed.

I am at the
chainsaw pit
just gotta say wow they are evil.

Making for interesting conversation piece too. Grandparents are absolutely in love with the wii and wiisports etc and RE4 has my grandfathers interest peaked a bit hes watching getting into the storyline etc.

Pretty funny getting laughed at by someone in their 70s cause a chainsaw removed my head in the game.

Mr Jared

So, I could never like RE4 because I couldn't get a hang of the aiming, but the short time I spent with RE4 Wii a while back felt pretty good. So, to those playing through it now, try what I did the entire time-

Shoot person in the knee.
Pull out knife.
WAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLEWAGGLE.

I was a zombie killing machine. A machine built to kill zombies, I tell you. I'm going to pick this up next week or so, but let me know if that is still an amazingly effective strategy :D

Costanza

Banned
I just beat 3-1, almost 7 hours, and ammo is getting much more plentiful by this point.

Question: How many chapters are there?

Shinobix

Damn you, GameTrailers. I haven't played the game yet.
I didn't know why the villagers were violent until I checked GT's review. Thanks for the spoiler bitches.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Shinobix said:
I didn't know why the villagers were violent until I checked GT's review. Thanks for the spoiler bitches.

GT's reviews always have spoilers. To the max sometimes. iirc their original RE4 review even showed the goddamn final boss.

D3RANG3D said:
Do you have a HDTV? Cause on my TV which is SD, it looks better, their is a night and day difference.

Yup, 50" Sony A2000 SXRD over Component in 480p.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by Zelda.

Solo

Beat it. 16 hours. As fantastic as ever!

Assignment Ada I had already beat on the GC, and its still the same, rather "blah". Separate Ways is new to me, so I look forward to taking that on. Finally, perhaps now I can finally get 4 stars all around in The Mercenaries with the Wiimote.

Anyways, Id give RE4Wii a 9/10.

:)

Does anyone else find it much easier to accidentally kill Ashley? Quite a few times I'll be firing my gun that either has already picked her up or is trying to and even though I swear my cursor isn't over her I manage to kill her:(

this shit already happened a lot in the previous versions. I killed her countless times while the laser wouldn't be on her. I even killed her with the knife while she was behing me once :lol

So I just completed the game and I had no idea there was so much replay value. Now I have to get all the secret weapons and now I also have the PS2 extras to look forward to. The controls are so awesomely done and accurate. This is indeed the definitive version.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Holy shit, how did they make such a scary game soooooooo fun. I just love shooting Zombies with the Wii Remote, I cannot wait for more companies to catch on.

Not sure if someone mentioned it earlier, but is anyone disappointed about the PQ of the Wii version (even my friend made that comment)? I unfortunately traded my GC copy while picking up the Wii version so I can't make a direct comparison, but I seem to remember the GC version to be much crisper, even zoomed in with my TV function (I'm running it on a 60" HDTV).

Jammy

Banned
I just watched the GameTrailers review...

You can set off the bear traps by knifing them?! AUGH! I WISH I KNEW THAT BEFORE!

Got the Wii version yesterday. Haven't played RE4 since it came out for GameCube. I just wanna say the controls add a lot to what was already one of my favorite games. And also, this game looks better than anything else on Wii. :( It still looks really good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Main Event said:
Not sure if someone mentioned it earlier, but is anyone disappointed about the PQ of the Wii version (even my friend made that comment)? I unfortunately traded my GC copy while picking up the Wii version so I can't make a direct comparison, but I seem to remember the GC version to be much crisper, even zoomed in with my TV function (I'm running it on a 60" HDTV).

Yep, the PQ is awful. Soft and dithered to hell for me.

imastalker co. said:
although this game is officially head shot edition, is it just me, or do they not do as much damage as before?

it's just you... I was thinking the opposite. to me, headshots seem to be too powerful

I'm in the castle now. I noticed that there were definitely more ennemies in the room where you got to switch the swords to open a door (3 waves of ennemies added to the three already in the room). Blind Prison Guy was easy to take down (semi-auto rifle ftw), and I now have to go through that freaking room after that.

playing with the wiimote still bugs me btw

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
ElectricBlue187 said:
you can also...shoot them :)

Sure, I looooove wasting ammo in Resi 4!

BTW, what sort of accuracy ratio did you have in the Gamecube/PS2? I've got 90% by Chapter 3.

Y2Kev

plagiarize said:
i haven't done direct comparisons yet, but the dithering certainly isn't new. that's always been there.

It's not new, though CVX thinks it might be amplified because of how capcom achieved true widescreen.

Plus, I have an HDTV now (like the post I was responding to) and that's really just awful.

McBacon said:
Sure, I looooove wasting ammo in Resi 4!

BTW, what sort of accuracy ratio did you have in the Gamecube/PS2? I've got 90% by Chapter 3.

I'm getting 90% and still have plenty of ammo even after shooting all the bear traps

Kicking helps too

AniHawk

Shinobix said:

Yeah, you know... the game is only two years old.

Y2Kev

I finished with 91% accuracy. Luckily RE4 has a way to "diffuse" headshots, because the game would be sooo easy if it didn't.

Separate Ways is actually really cool. I loved ringing the bell, but I wonder why they just didn't give Ada the POWER halfway through ch. 2.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, wtf am I doing wrong. I'm shooting them in the ****ing head and only get "head shots" (assuming this means exploding heads) maybe once a clip with the pistol. Is this right? Shotgun might be 1-3 times per reload. Of course rifle is 100%. Just wondering. Oh, controls are amazing. It's really gonna suck to go back to dual analog with RE5. :(

Hopefully companies take note of RE4, Godfather, and Scarface and keep releasing awesome third person action goodness. Graphics aside the system seems like it should be the de facto standard for this sort of game.

Top Bottom