• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

kottila

So I've managed to scrape along to the It thing in chapter 5.3 on professional (~160 deaths!), but I cannot get through the crater maze and I don't see how I'm ever going to do it. Is it possible to run by him when he jumps down (always get killed doing that) or do I have to shoot him? I have very little ammo left and I thought I should save it for when I take him on after the maze. I even tried selling my rifle to buy a magnum, but that ammo didn't last for long.

Jokeropia

IRL = Infinite Rocket Launcher.
kottila said:
So I've managed to scrape along to the It thing in chapter 5.3 on professional (~160 deaths!), but I cannot get through the crater maze and I don't see how I'm ever going to do it. Is it possible to run by him when he jumps down (always get killed doing that) or do I have to shoot him? I have very little ammo left and I thought I should save it for when I take him on after the maze. I even tried selling my rifle to buy a magnum, but that ammo didn't last for long.
You should be able to run past him.

Vexidus

Jokeropia said:

Oh! I've never seen that abbreviated before, plus I was tired when I posted.. Yeah the infinite rocket launcher is ok but it takes so long to fire! Chicago Typewriter still ftw!

Gossack

I enjoyed playing it on the PS2, the Wii version will be arriving next week sometime. I'm looking forward to trying out the new controls.

Lobster

Banned
Tael said:
I enjoyed playing it on the PS2, the Wii version will be arriving next week sometime. I'm looking forward to trying out the new controls.

You're gonna love it. Im happy I never played the GC/Ps2 one..Im sure if I did now it would feel like a disaster.

Are there some direct-feed comparison pictures between the main game and Separate Ways? I've only found the one with the herbs and the press release screenshots.

kottila

Jokeropia said:
You should be able to run past him.

Yeah. Finally beat the game on pro...Died 226 times though. Runnong it again now with the P.R.L (?) just to get my self esteem back

Finally beat the game last night. Took me 23 hours all in all and died like 30+ times. Not many of the deaths were in regular combat though... Best game sofar this year for me. I have not played metroid yet though since I live in europe.

Man I had problems beating krauser though. Died probably 10 times before I noticed
you could shoot his legs to get him to drop his guard. Then I quickly switched to broken butterfly and unloaded a few in his face. He did not last long with that treatment.

Can't decide if I want to play through the main game again or to do seperate ways first. I am leaning towards playing as Ada though.

Lobster

Banned
PuppetSlave said:
Finally beat the game last night. Took me 23 hours all in all and died like 30+ times. Not many of the deaths were in regular combat though... Best game sofar this year for me. I have not played metroid yet though since I live in europe.

Man I had problems beating krauser though. Died probably 10 times before I noticed
you could shoot his legs to get him to drop his guard. Then I quickly switched to broken butterfly and unloaded a few in his face. He did not last long with that treatment.

Can't decide if I want to play through the main game again or to do seperate ways first. I am leaning towards playing as Ada though.

The best way to beat Krauser IMO is a knife. Once you get him in a good spot (which is very easy) you can kill him in about 30 seconds each time. Works really well for his infected form too.

Vexidus

In Pro mode, that Krauser fight was absolutely impossible for me using guns, I tried countless times and then tried used the knife and beat him in about 30 seconds! :lol

Christine

"Bit of advice - try using knives next time. Works better for close encounters."

It's just about the only thing Leon ever says that isn't hopelessly moronic.

Xavien

kottila said:
EDIT: wrong boss :p

For "It", run past him, as soon as he jumps down, you can use your handgun to destroy the lights before you trigger his jump down (theres a few times where he wont jump down until you do a certain thing or go somewhere). If he gets too close while you're aiming at a light, equip the shotgun and unload until he goes back up.

He should be pretty easy to run past though.

andthebeatgoeson

Vexidus said:
In Pro mode, that Krauser fight was absolutely impossible for me using guns, I tried countless times and then tried used the knife and beat him in about 30 seconds! :lol
Is the knife less handy in the Wii version than the GC version? I think so.

Arde5643

skinnyrattler said:
Is the knife less handy in the Wii version than the GC version? I think so.
I think I prefer using the knife in wii compared to GC.

It comes out much faster and it auto-aims to nearby enemies.

Okay, so I just finished the game. I had never played RE4 before (believe it or not) and I have to say, it was excellent. I know it ostensibly handles better than RE2, but it gave me the same hardcore action movie game feel that RE2 did (and was missing from recent installments IMO).

I can actually see playing through this again. But I am glad I waited for the Wii version. I'm somewhat inept at aiming quickly and accurately with analog sticks, and I can definitely see where that would have been an issue in parts of the game.

Unfortunately this means I'm going to have to wait for the inevitable RE5: Wii 2 edition, because at cvx's behest I did plug in a GC controller to try it out, and there's no way I'm going back to that.

Nintaiyo

Just got the game yesterday. I played it on GCN, but it's still just as good the second time around, especially with Wii controls. I hate that I can't decide whether to invert the y-axis or not. Sometimes I press up to go up, somtimes down...I can't decide!

wow, after reading through a few pages of this thread it really seems like bringing this game to the Wii actually meant the game reached a lot of people who never played it on the PS2/GC.

andthebeatgoeson

Arde5643 said:
I think I prefer using the knife in wii compared to GC.

It comes out much faster and it auto-aims to nearby enemies.
My main problem was with Krauser. That fight was really easy on the GC. The wii was less responsive. Unless I need new batteries. At the last part, I would ready my knife, see him coming and there would be a delay with me pushing the button and slashing. Maybe I should just do the auto-waggle knife. And this was on 'Normal', not professional. He becomes 10x harder on Pro. Anybody had the same problem? I might be doing it wrong.

It's funny. I'm living in Australia right now so I cannot play Metroid Prime 3 for a few months - as a result, RE4: Wii Edition remains my favourite game this year. Even more than Bioshock.

Even though i played the game like 10 times on Gamecube.

Just goes to show how awesome it is. Especially with the wiimote.

Alkaliine said:
It's funny. I'm living in Australia right now so I cannot play Metroid Prime 3 for a few months - as a result, RE4: Wii Edition remains my favourite game this year. Even more than Bioshock.

Even though i played the game like 10 times on Gamecube.

Just goes to show how awesome it is. Especially with the wiimote.

Welcome to the situation for all gaffers from Australia and europe... I am going to pick up trauma center though when I am spent from RE4. It's a long wait to october...

cvxfreak

Farore said:
You can use the non-waggle knife to see if it changes your perception of the responsiveness...

I find there's a disconnect with the non-waggle knife (a similar feeling to use the rifle without waggle).

Sagitario

PuppetSlave said:
Welcome to the situation for all gaffers from Australia and europe... I am going to pick up trauma center though when I am spent from RE4. It's a long wait to october...

I support this decision... and Dragona will be filled with joy (which should last until you get Prime 3 :p )...

kottila

skinnyrattler said:
My main problem was with Krauser. That fight was really easy on the GC. The wii was less responsive. Unless I need new batteries. At the last part, I would ready my knife, see him coming and there would be a delay with me pushing the button and slashing. Maybe I should just do the auto-waggle knife. And this was on 'Normal', not professional. He becomes 10x harder on Pro. Anybody had the same problem? I might be doing it wrong.

I never aimed with the knife. Auto-waggle ftw! I cornered him in the bossbattle and knifed him over and over again.

Lobster

Banned
kottila said:
I never aimed with the knife. Auto-waggle ftw! I cornered him in the bossbattle and knifed him over and over again.

This is what I did after trying to use my guns two times in a row.

andthebeatgoeson

kottila said:
That was probably my problem. I tried the nonwaggle knife. I'll use the waggle next time.

Lobster

Banned
Wow im going really fast on my second play through. Suit 2 is amazing..I love it when you catch Ashlee Leon touches his back like its really hurt.

Im about 2hrs and 20 minutes in and I just beat..dam forgot his name..the "big cheese" My second time through is really letting me look at stuff now. Like the Cemetery..thats probably the best looking part in the game.

Christine

Jirotrom said:
and it works surprisingly well, I scoffed at the notion before.

It doesn't work as well as in the GameCube version or even as well as it does if you plug a GC or Classic controller into the Wii edition. The reticle moves at the same speed as the camera does with the other guns when you use the nunchuck thumbstick, which isn't as good for sniping as the slower aiming speed programmed for the classic control style. It's definitely an oversight.

Sagitario

cvxfreak said:
Aiming the sniper rifle is done via the analog stick and not waggle.

I know... but when I read "waggle" and "riffle" I was like "I don't have to shake the remote to fire any gun"... so I wasn't sure of you were talking about pointing/aiming with the wiimote (which is not waggle :p)...

Lobster

Banned
noire said:
I finally got into the castle. Just saved at the part after the short dude laughs at me.

I love the game, but it frustrates me to the point that I need to take long breaks from it. Specifically the El Gigante in the canyon, and the big bald fucker.

Frustrates you how?The ammo was the most frustrating thing for me.

noire said:
I was being stubborn. Rather than retrying and letting the variable difficulty kick in, I would reload a save. So, I was running extremely low on health with a moderate amount of ammo.

I remember doing this as well, especially in the
cage area wit the blind guy with claws that drops down, before I knew you could easily leave the cage

Lobster

Banned
VultureDude said:
I remember doing this as well, especially in the
cage area wit the blind guy with claws that drops down, before I knew you could easily leave the cage

What you could???? :'(

Please tell..I even killed that mofo in the cage with Ada too..

Vexidus

Lobster said:
What you could???? :'(

Please tell..I even killed that mofo in the cage with Ada too..

What, you mean shooting the giant lock on either door with a shotgun? I wanted out of that room so freakin' fast, I would've bitten the lock off if I had to

Lobster

Banned
Vexidus said:
What, you mean shooting the giant lock on either door with a shotgun? I wanted out of that room so freakin' fast, I would've bitten the lock off if I had to

Are you sure? I remember shooting at that lock atleast a couple of time before it came off.

Top Bottom