• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Lobster

Banned
marvelharvey said:
Nope, he's gone for good (but they'll be another one around the corner)

Oh ok. I thought he'd take more shots to kill..weakling. I was kind of hoping he'd go bat shit insane on me with all his stocks.

sk3tch

Aurelius said:
Finally managed to buy a copy of this game. 4 days before the release of Bioshock...

Me too. Actually, I bought it off my bro. He bought it on Saturday and by Sunday he sold it to me. He's too scared of it. He's in college so I felt bad and bought it off of him for what he paid. The funny thing is, I'm too scared of the damn game too...but it's so fun. So...I'll be checking in to this thread from time to time, and progressing...slowly...
on sunny days with every light on in my house
. :lol

Aske

Tab0203 said:
The ps2 version does not look the same.

I posted ps2 - gc pics two years ago in a comparison thread at beyond3d. (I used a gamecube video someone posted here and a ps2 video from Dot50Cal's site) The reaction at the lava room was: "It's like night and day!"

They cut many polygons, took out the lighting, downgraded texture resolution, particle and water effects, upgraded loading time (even switching weapons takes longer) and fucked up the sound quality for whatever reason. Not enough space due to the fmv-cutscenes? Also, framerate problems.

I'm not saying the PS2 graphics compare that favourably to the Wii/Cube versions side by side; just that as someone who's spent a lot of time with the PS2 version I haven't had many "Wow! Teh superior!" moments when actually playing the game. Fire does look stunning though, and I'm appreciating the clean in-game voices. Many of the subtle improvements are probably lost in the jaggies.

I can't get over the controls. So impressed by the differing sensitivities for different guns. Using the TMP was nowhere near this satisfying with last gen controls. Not only does it feel great to fire, using it without the stock is now a viable option. With the Wii edition, I'm using the stock for my Red 9 and skipping the stock for the TMP. Even with the Red 9 stock, sometimes l find I'll actually steady the remote with my left hand to take tricky shots. This had better not be the last RE I play on the Wii with this level of depth.

Tab0203

Aske said:
I'm not saying the PS2 graphics compare that favourably to the Wii/Cube versions side by side; just that as someone who's spent a lot of time with the PS2 version I haven't had many "Wow! Teh superior!" moments when actually playing the game. Fire does look stunning though, and I'm appreciating the clean in-game voices. Many of the subtle improvements are probably lost in the jaggies.

I can't get over the controls. So impressed by the differing sensitivities for different guns. Using the TMP was nowhere near this satisfying with last gen controls. Not only does it feel great to fire, using it without the stock is now a viable option. With the Wii edition, I'm using the stock for my Red 9 and skipping the stock for the TMP. Even with the Red 9 stock, sometimes l find I'll actually steady the remote with my left hand to take tricky shots. This had better not be the last RE I play on the Wii with this level of depth.
Don't get me wrong. The PS2 port isn't that bad. Probably one of the most expensive, time consuming ports ever. But the "looks much the same" comment is just wrong.

I couldn't agree more with the second paragraph.

Finished the game finally(well beat the PS2 version before so eh).

Boy do I suck at Mercenaries. Busted my ass in the village and best is still only 2 stars.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Finished the game finally(well beat the PS2 version before so eh).

Boy do I suck at Mercenaries. Busted my ass in the village and best is still only 2 stars.
Village is realy easy, collect the time extensions and ammo first and then make a stand in the small barn with the red barrel in front. That way you rake in an insane amount of kills-5 stars with every character guaranteed.

Now the last level with the two giant Dr. Salvadors gives me real headaches with Leon. I just can't kill the Dr.'s quick enough and am wasting time and kills.

Lobster

Banned
Just killed Krauser and did the helicopter scene. I died once against Krauser (final fight) because I tried to use guns against him...in the second one I ran at him when he was in a corner and used my knife. Stab, Stab, A+B, Stab, Stab, A+B, Stab, Stab, DEAD.

The part with the helicopter was so damn badass, especially almost at the end when machine gunning the ganados in slow-motion. Awesome game. Dam if it were up to me this game would win GOTY every year.

Lobster

Banned
Just finished the game..is it me or is the ending the worst thing ever? They totally ruined the whole script with those lines. Overtime? Cute without glasses? LOL!

I mucked around a bit with seperate ways...didn't actually play it but just got a question. Can I come in contact with Leon while we're in the village?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've beaten everything now, all extra modes and shit mercs with 5 star and am doing a runthrough of the main game again. Had all the fancy guns and sold EVERYTHING to get the chicago typewriter. Uh, wow, that's a tough gun.....

Going to try it on pro after that. the second run through is much much shorter, I fully upgraded the hand cannon before I sold it, shiiiit that gun is just CHEATING.

Scrubking

Lobster said:
Just finished the game..is it me or is the ending the worst thing ever? They totally ruined the whole script with those lines. Overtime? Cute without glasses? LOL!

I mucked around a bit with seperate ways...didn't actually play it but just got a question. Can I come in contact with Leon while we're in the village?

What? "Overtime" is the best line in the entire game!

And no you can't meet up with Leon in the village as Ada. There is a cutscene though I think. Anyway, play Seperate Ways. It's good and the ending is nice.

Lobster said:

The story is the worst thing about the game, ending included. It didn't detract from the experience for me, though. I can't really imagine RE4 with incredible gameplay AND a great storyline -- heck, even a competent storyline... it would just be too good.

AniHawk

Lobster said:
Just killed Krauser and did the helicopter scene. I died once against Krauser (final fight) because I tried to use guns against him...in the second one I ran at him when he was in a corner and used my knife. Stab, Stab, A+B, Stab, Stab, A+B, Stab, Stab, DEAD.

The part with the helicopter was so damn badass, especially almost at the end when machine gunning the ganados in slow-motion. Awesome game. Dam if it were up to me this game would win GOTY every year.
Well if you wanted to, you could vote it in this year when I do the voting thread.

Like MGS3 (which won stealth three years in a row), I expect this to have a strong following again.

Sagitario

Lobster said:

You know RE story is like a horror B-movie... I mean... since the first game you have:
- "The master of unlocking"
- "Jill sandwich"

Lobster

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
The story is the worst thing about the game, ending included. It didn't detract from the experience for me, though. I can't really imagine RE4 with incredible gameplay AND a great storyline -- heck, even a competent storyline... it would just be too good.

The story I felt, was alright but the ending..holy shit it just went overboard.

AniHawk said:
Well if you wanted to, you could vote it in this year when I do the voting thread.

Like MGS3 (which won stealth three years in a row), I expect this to have a strong following again.

Definitely will do this.

AniHawk

OpinionatedCyborg said:

I sorta wonder if it was intentionally bad. It feels like a good B-movie at times. At least the localization team brought in some good voice actors.

Proc

Okay. So I never quite finished the GC version (backlog city). I'm thinking about picking up some Wii component cables after work. Should I grab a copy of RE4 on Wii while I'm at it? Or should I just grab the pad and play it the way it was originally intended over 480p.

Quick questions:
Does the Wii version offer superior gfx to the GC?
Do the controls enhance or hinder the experience?
Does it do enough different/better to warrant double dipping?

Proc said:
Okay. So I never quite finished the GC version (backlog city). I'm thinking about picking up some Wii component cables after work. Should I grab a copy of RE4 on Wii while I'm at it? Or should I just grab the pad and play it the way it was originally intended over 480p.

Quick questions:

-No, not really. It's in widescreen, but only because it's been blown up. And there is still a pretty heavy underscan.
-Enhance, in a big way. The game is much more fun, I'd say.
-If you didn't beat the first one on Cube and/or you didn't play Separate Ways (the Ada 'sexpansion' found on PS2), then I'd say it's definitely worth a buy.

Proc said:
Sadly the dithering is far more noticeable on the Wii, but that's just due to the clarity of component cables.
Proc said:
Enhance x 1000 (unless you're like the two people in this thread who thought otherwise)
Proc said:
Well, you get the bonus missions from the PS2 version. I played the Wii version all the way through 6 times and the Wii 3 times, on my 4th play through now.

Proc

Excellent. I'm convinced. I didn't pay full retail when I bought the original RE4 second hand off my friend anyways. It will feel good supporting the "hardcore" wii scene as well!

Aske said:

I find that just the lighting makes the Wii/GC version lightyears ahead of the PS2 version. The Lab loses every last bit of it's creepiness in the PS2 version. Hell, it's hardly even fucking dark in there!

Lobster

Banned
Just finished seperate ways. Are you guys sure the Ada stuff has been upgraded? I could swear the lightings a bit off and some textures were ugly..

Seperate ways was harder then the actual game for me..having crappy weapons that you can not tune up sucks..sucks so bad. Then shoving a crossbow on you and not being able to pay for it..jeeze! Great shit though. Cleared up some stuff. Shocked to see Krauser alive, holy crap.

Going to play the Ada missions now..even though I prefer her red dress :p

Mercenaries pisses me off..keep getting killed by the chainsaw bitches.

All the extras are great, adds a shit load of replay value. The only problem I have with the extras is that im not sure they're the GC graphics..looks downgraded from the actual adventure.

Proc

Just to follow up with my purchase. Sadly I tore off the game packaging (not experienced with opening up wii games I guess lol) so I had to glue the cover back onto the box; no biggy.

I'm so glad I bought this with the component cables! This has totally proven buying my brother's Wii to be worth while. RE4 has made me fall in love with the Wii mote and has really proven its worth to me. I'm on such a Wii kick right now, gonna go pick up the pretty affordable classic controller and get my VC on tonight :)

I don't know if its the fact that its just a "new thing" to me, but I'm really taking a shine to the Wiimote, I think it has loads of potential. Zelda really pops with the component cables as well, the richer colours really go the extra mile. Go Wii!

I can't believe how much I love RE4 all over again with this controls. I am excited for RE5, but somewhat less excited that I'll have to go back to dual analog.

I hope Capcom gives us some more RE4-style love on wii. A new IP with a similar control setup would be MUCH appreciated.

Haunted

Proc said:
Just to follow up with my purchase. Sadly I tore off the game packaging (not experienced with opening up wii games I guess lol) so I had to glue the cover back onto the box; no biggy.

I'm so glad I bought this with the component cables! This has totally proven buying my brother's Wii to be worth while. RE4 has made me fall in love with the Wii mote and has really proven its worth to me. I'm on such a Wii kick right now, gonna go pick up the pretty affordable classic controller and get my VC on tonight :)

I don't know if its the fact that its just a "new thing" to me, but I'm really taking a shine to the Wiimote, I think it has loads of potential. Zelda really pops with the component cables as well, the richer colours really go the extra mile. Go Wii!
That's awesome. I believe there's a point where the Wiimote just 'clicks' with some people and that's a great feeling. Enjoy RE4! :D

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
My copy arrived today (after weeks of hunting around locally) and so far it's proving to be a lot of fun. I don't know if it's because of the time passed since the last playthrough or the controls but i'm finding it a lot harder, even if I do know where to expect the villagers and where to go etc.

The new controls though are really sublime, Wii Sports (and Zelda) aside, this game shows off the controls for the Wii perfectly- I think i'll really struggle should I go back to this on the Gamecube again.

Lobster said:
Just finished seperate ways. Are you guys sure the Ada stuff has been upgraded? I could swear the lightings a bit off and some textures were ugly..

Seperate ways was harder then the actual game for me..having crappy weapons that you can not tune up sucks..sucks so bad. Then shoving a crossbow on you and not being able to pay for it..jeeze! Great shit though. Cleared up some stuff. Shocked to see Krauser alive, holy crap.

Going to play the Ada missions now..even though I prefer her red dress :p

Mercenaries pisses me off..keep getting killed by the chainsaw bitches.

All the extras are great, adds a shit load of replay value. The only problem I have with the extras is that im not sure they're the GC graphics..looks downgraded from the actual adventure.
I thought SW was pretty easy, could buy the crossbow right from the merchant at the garden and I bought everything else as well. There's a lot of treasure lying around, you can get a complete Elegant Mask and Beerstein pretty early on.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
I thought SW was pretty easy, could buy the crossbow right from the merchant at the garden and I bought everything else as well. There's a lot of treasure lying around, you can get a complete Elegant Mask and Beerstein pretty early on.

The first thing I always buy when I get to the merchant are 2 first aid sprays so I never have enough money..I didn't really do much exploring with Ada..having weaker guns really makes me pissed off when I got so used to blowing heads off 3 at a time with my shotgun while Adas can't even manage 1 :(

Ill probably play the main game again and try to do a speed run of below 10 hours.

I still have a feeling that the extra stuff has downgraded graphics..I can't shake the feeling..

cvxfreak

Closer examination by professionals with capture software proved that SW's graphics aren't as good as the main game. I personally found it hard to notice until people had the screens to prove it.

In the PS2 version, SW looked better than the main game IMO (more polished). So there was a bit of inconsistency in that version, too.

Lobster

Banned
I mainly noticed it in the lighting..just didn't feel right..

BTW..where is this part of the game..?
525btwj.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing that part :S

Sagitario

cvxfreak said:
Closer examination by professionals with capture software proved that SW's graphics aren't as good as the main game. I personally found it hard to notice until people had the screens to prove it.

In the PS2 version, SW looked better than the main game IMO (more polished). So there was a bit of inconsistency in that version, too.

Link, please? I love comparison pics :p...

Vexidus

Lobster said:
I mainly noticed it in the lighting..just didn't feel right..

BTW..where is this part of the game..?
525btwj.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing that part :S

Isn't that before the tower, and just before the mine cart sequence? After the novistador lair when you take that platform up. I think that's where it is..

Lobster

Banned
Vexidus said:
Isn't that before the tower, and just before the mine cart sequence? After the novistador lair when you take that platform up. I think that's where it is..

Must've totally ignore it..wow :S

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just ran through the whole game with the chicago typewriter. thats a reasonably powerful gun isn't it.

I want to have a crack at pro now since I've done everything else possible. One thing that bugs me,

in the underground sandy area with all the bear traps on the floor and the chainsaw guy in that kind of house thingy, there is a valuable item in the tunnel before that room, I can't find it, I'm standing right on it according to the map, but it's nowhere to be found. I didn't get it on either run through and it's driving me nuts. I assume there is a switch or something.

Tunnel... before that room? The closest I recall a Valuable Item is would be in the Salazar Pimp Cane (actually, Royal Staff), in an little cave near the start of the room.

Alternatively, you might be referring to the Crown Emblem you pick up from the 'elevator' before riding it up. Otherwise, I don't recall any Valuable Item in the vicinity.

Also, of the 'Ultimate Weapons', the IRL is the only weapon that doesn't completely drain all the fun from the game.

catfish said:
just ran through the whole game with the chicago typewriter. thats a reasonably powerful gun isn't it.

I want to have a crack at pro now since I've done everything else possible. One thing that bugs me,

in the underground sandy area with all the bear traps on the floor and the chainsaw guy in that kind of house thingy, there is a valuable item in the tunnel before that room, I can't find it, I'm standing right on it according to the map, but it's nowhere to be found. I didn't get it on either run through and it's driving me nuts. I assume there is a switch or something.

I'm not sure what item you are referring to, but maybe it's hanging on the ceiling? Or maybe it's somewhere down below?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Tunnel... before that room? The closest I recall a Valuable Item is would be in the Salazar Pimp Cane (actually, Royal Staff), in an little cave near the start of the room.

yeah the tunnel has some bits dugout in the walls and there is boxes on a couple of the dugouts, the roof is quite low in there.

I don't recall finding the royal staff, maybe that's it. Where/how exactly do you get it?

I've tried walking to the spot on the map marked by the star, but there is NOTHING there, checked the roof and the star is right beside one of those dug out wall things in the tunnel. I assumed there would be a switch that would drop something there.

Vexidus

Pureauthor said:
Also, of the 'Ultimate Weapons', the IRL is the only weapon that doesn't completely drain all the fun from the game.

Surely you don't mean the plagas removal laser? It drains all the fun from the game, charge it up and it kills everything on screen? That sucks! Plus it really sucks when there's an enemy close to you cuz it takes a while to charge even a little bit to get the flash grenade effect when firing.. >_<

Chicago typewriter is by far the best bonus weapon!

Catfish: There is a tomb underneath the entrance to that room, you have to be on the same level as the traps, and walk back toward the entrance, there will be a tunnel that leads to a sarcophagus that you can open for the treasure

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Vexidus said:
Catfish: There is a tomb underneath the entrance to that room, you have to be on the same level as the traps, and walk back toward the entrance, there will be a tunnel that leads to a sarcophagus that you can open for the treasure

OH SHIT I'm retarded.

what's the prize for finishing on pro?

So far I've unlocked the chicago typewriter the handcannon that the pistol that shoots 3 bullets at a time. What's this IRL thing?

Vexidus

I think he means the PRL, plagas removal laser and that's what you get by finishing pro. You don't even have to buy it, it costs 0 in the store, but the thing is enormous, and isn't really that fun imo.. You should do pro (it's fun, costume 2 makes it WAY easier though cuz you can use Ashley as a decoy, hehe) and check it out!

Top Bottom