• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Banned
There was a topic about this recently - basically the Wii version just stretches the image, rather than rendering in a higher resolution, and makes use of the Wii's ability to use the "flicker filter" in 480p to blur the image. (the Gamecube's flicker filter was automatically disabled when you enabled 480p)

cvxfreak

bumpkin, I had the exact same suspicions as you. The true widescreen seems to have hurt the game more than it helped it.

If Capcom bumped the color depth up to 24-bit the game would have looked fine. The PS2 version's widescreen was achieved in the same manner, but it was 24-bit so it had a better image quality.

andrewfee said:
There was a topic about this recently - basically the Wii version just stretches the image, rather than rendering in a higher resolution, and makes use of the Wii's ability to use the "flicker filter" in 480p to blur the image. (the Gamecube's flicker filter was automatically disabled when you enabled 480p)

Yeah I've just gone back and played the game today (I was the one saying that it wasn't true, I was very wrong :( )

Still, I'd much rather play it in 16 x 9 even with the blur and besides, you can always just set the game to 4 x 3 and stretch the image like with the GCN version (Although you'd still have to put up with the flicker filter)

Costanza

Banned
Just finished the main storyline. Man, I really took my time with this game. Finished with 17 hours on the clock PLUS I still have Separate Ways. :D This is the best game ever.

KarishBHR

Ok, so i need some help GAF.

I want to play the wii version of this game, but I recently played through the entire first disc of the gamecube version and I dont want to do that stuff again.

Is there a way to start from the point of the second disc? Any game saves online that start where the second gamecube disc begins?
I have seen 100% complete game saves, is it possible to go back to specific points in the game once you have beaten the entire thing?

KarishBHR said:

I want to play the wii version of this game, but I recently played through the entire first disc of the gamecube version and I dont want to do that stuff again.

Is there a way to start from the point of the second disc? Any game saves online that start where the second gamecube disc begins?
I have seen 100% complete game saves, is it possible to go back to specific points in the game once you have beaten the entire thing?

No there is no way you garbage compactor just start it again you will feel like a brand new man

KarishBHR said:

Try WiiSave.com, they have a ton of files so you may get lucky,

Laurent

broadwayrock said:
Its a nice nod towards the Heaven Smile from Killer 7.

When i first encountered one i shot the legs off with an SMG thinking that they'd be slower if they crawl along the floor only to be surprised when they would leap forward with no legs and attack
Ohhh, I never thought about the paralel between those games! It's so obvious now... But I got RE4 before Killer7, so since I already forgoten about those creepy monsters
(they only stays for half the fifth chapter)
, I couldn't really make that connection...

Anyway, now I need to confront Krauser... I don't know which is best, Butterfly or TMP against him...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Laurent said:
Anyway, now I need to confront Krauser... I don't know which is best, Butterfly or TMP against him...
The knife is your best friend against ol' Krausey! Seriously, I know this sounds crazy, but get him in a corner or at a ledge so his backflips have no effect, then get up in his face and start slashing your Wiimote like a mofo!

You should bring him to his knees with one or two slashes (when his shield-arm is lowered), then a slash to the head will do some serious damage.

Be ready to dodge (always a flick of the Wiimote anyway) his arm-charge attacks, then just close in on him when he backflips away again.

Repeat and enjoy a very efficient and cost-effective kill!

Xavien

broadwayrock said:
Use the SMG on his legs/feet and once he kneels down slash him with the knife.

Or if you are really good with a knife, just slash his legs with the knife and then his head. Also i found that if you trap him on the edge, its much easier to slash his legs, since he cant move.

Laurent

Yeah, I am hawful with the knife... You really do use the "wave-the-wii-remote-to-slash" feature? I found it impossible to aim... I really only use my knife against... wooden boxes! :lol

Anyway, I'll give it a try... It's not as if it was the first time I was finishing the game!

Sat down and went from 1-2 to 3-1(savepoint after first meeting with Sally)

Seriously the Wii controls are such an improvement over the PS2/Gamecube controls IMO I find it impossible to go back to standard.

KarishBHR

Hydro_Alexis said:
No there is no way you garbage compactor just start it again you will feel like a brand new man

I literally just played through the first disc.

Ok, so can anyone tell me which chapter is the beginning of the second disc so I know what I should download? Also, can one go back to a specific point in the game once they have beaten it, cuz if so I will just download a 100% file

Dot50Cal

Banned
cvxfreak said:
bumpkin, I had the exact same suspicions as you. The true widescreen seems to have hurt the game more than it helped it.

If Capcom bumped the color depth up to 24-bit the game would have looked fine. The PS2 version's widescreen was achieved in the same manner, but it was 24-bit so it had a better image quality.

I'll have to take some snapshots at the same locations for GCN and Wii, but I havent really noticed this myself..odd. I do know that the Gamecube version still renders everything thats behind the faked black bars, which is pretty funny.

KarishBHR said:
Ok, so can anyone tell me which chapter is the beginning of the second disc so I know what I should download? Also, can one go back to a specific point in the game once they have beaten it, cuz if so I will just download a 100% file

The Island... should be Chapter 5-1.

KarishBHR

Pureauthor said:
The Island... should be Chapter 5-1.

K, and once I have beat the game is it possible to just start right back at the 5-1 mark?

I ask because I will just download a 100% complete disc.

IF ANYONE IS AT THE 5-1 POINT PLEASE SEND ME THE FILE

Lobster

Banned
How many chapters are in the game. I keep getting worried when they say "this is the way out of the village" because I really don't want the game to end.

Lobster

Banned
woxel1 said:
Way out of the village?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Yeah I know its never it. Im in the castle right now..and just got shocked by that wolverine guy..I don't want it to end anytime soon.

cvxfreak said:
You have plenty of time.

Hehe, yeah. Maybe i was playing to RE4 to slowly and finished it somewhere around 10 minutes shy of a full 15 hours. But i think the game could have ended an hour or two earlier, the boss, the one, before
Krauser
was the point where i started to hope the game would finish up already.

Lobster

Banned
Does Ada get tied into the story more? I've seen her once..she shoots that big guy through the window and he jumps out..thats about it..

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
KarishBHR said:
K, and once I have beat the game is it possible to just start right back at the 5-1 mark?

I ask because I will just download a 100% complete disc.

IF ANYONE IS AT THE 5-1 POINT PLEASE SEND ME THE FILE
Unless that 100% file happens to have a typewriter entry at chapter 5-1, then no. There's no chapter select function (unfortunately).
Seriously, you should start afresh - you'll enjoy getting used to the Wii controls more and won't have some random guy's crap in your attache case =)

cvxfreak

Lobster said:
Does Ada get tied into the story more? I've seen her once..she shoots that big guy through the window and he jumps out..thats about it..

Her adventure(s) will be unlocked after you beat the main game. :)

cvxfreak

Lobster said:
Sorry for all the questions. Just my last one. Is the UC trailer only in the JAP version?

No problem at all! :)

UC trailer is in all but the PAL versions. Super lame for PAL gamers
but they get the best packaging!

Dascu

Lobster said:
Yes, she'll appear here and there in the game. There's also an extra game mode where you play as her.

Lobster

Banned
cvxfreak said:
No problem at all! :)

UC trailer is in all but the PAL versions. Super lame for PAL gamers
but they get the best packaging!

Ah well..Thanks for the help.
Dascu said:
Yes, she'll appear here and there in the game. There's also an extra game mode where you play as her.

Would you say less involved then Luis?

Lobster

Banned
Dascu said:
No, not really. But about halfway through the Castle, she becomes more involved in the storyline, more than Luis at least.

Oh cool. Is this the meeting with her where Leon and her fight? Like she has the gun pointed to his head?

Haunted

Lobster said:
Oh cool. Is this the meeting with her where Leon and her fight? Like she has the gun pointed to his head?
At this point, I'd just recommend playing the damn game, Lobster. Doesn't make too much sense to spoiler yourself before. :p

Dascu

Haunted One said:
At this point, I'd just recommend playing the damn game, Lobster. Doesn't make too much sense to spoiler yourself before. :p
Yes, just play it. You'll see how it turns out. :p

bumpkin

Dot50Cal said:
I'll have to take some snapshots at the same locations for GCN and Wii, but I havent really noticed this myself..odd. I do know that the Gamecube version still renders everything thats behind the faked black bars, which is pretty funny.
I don't know how you couldn't notice. I have both systems connected via component and were running at 480p, and it was pretty obvious when I switched between the two.

Lobster

Banned
Argh guys..need massive help. Right after the wolverine guy in the prison, you stop the fire blowing with the switch. After you go through the doors theres alot of those cult zombie fuckers. I've run out of ammo..I knew I shouldn't have used my bazooka :| The only ammo I have is 9 handgun, 2 shotgun, 16 rifle...horrible horrible..I managed to kill about 4 with my knife and thats it :(

Im screwed dag nabit! HEAAALPPP

cvxfreak

Lobster said:
Argh guys..need massive help. Right after the wolverine guy in the prison, you stop the fire blowing with the switch. After you go through the doors theres alot of those cult zombie fuckers. I've run out of ammo..I knew I shouldn't have used my bazooka :| The only ammo I have is 9 handgun, 2 shotgun, 16 rifle...horrible horrible..I managed to kill about 4 with my knife and thats it :(

You'll have to take a few out with headshots especially from the rifle, and then collect their ammo. You can make it to the far back room while dodging most of them; there should be extra ammo there too.

Lobster

Banned
cvxfreak said:
You'll have to take a few out with headshots especially from the rifle, and then collect their ammo. You can make it to the far back room while dodging most of them; there should be extra ammo there too.

Am I able to leave Ashlee on the other side of the door? Never actually tried that..

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Lobster said:

you can do it man!

shoot one of them in the lower leg so he drops to one knee then you can walk up and kick him. Got any grenades?

If you get 1 kill you should get some ammo if you're lucky. Just shoot sparingly.

Lobster

Banned
catfish said:
you can do it man!

shoot one of them in the lower leg so he drops to one knee then you can walk up and kick him. Got any grenades?

If you get 1 kill you should get some ammo if you're lucky. Just shoot sparingly.

No nades..used my last incendiary (spl?) on the group before them..Dam if only I knew it was coming.

Dascu

Go into a corner with Ashley. Use the Rifle to do headshots, Handgun to shoot the knees and then kick them, and use the Shotgun for crowds (2 bullets... use them on 2 groups). Collect the ammo and I suggest to have Ashley follow you all the time. There's some vases around you can destroy for ammo, I think. It'll be difficult, but possible. Just remember that the Rifle is very powerful.

Oh, I see you're at 'the room'. If you're weaksauce, try this...

After you kill someone with a single bullet and pick up their dropped ammo, run out the door and reenter. This will reset all the remaining bad guys to their original positions and serve as an autosave.

To recap...

-Bullet to the head/knee, when they're stunned, kick them to the floor and knife them on the ground.
-If they don't drop ammo, restart from save point.
-If they do drop ammo, run out the door to save the game.
-Repeat until you've built up your ammo reserves.

Obviously taking out the 'snipers' with your rifle and getting rid of the guys with shields is your first priority.

AniHawk

Lobster said:
No nades..used my last incendiary (spl?) on the group before them..Dam if only I knew it was coming.

I ran out of ammo and knew it was coming. It's possible to go through it with the little ammo you have. Try cutting the vases after headshotting the far monks like cvx suggested. Some have ammo, herbs, and even grenades.

andthebeatgoeson

Screw that. Run to one side only. Kill those guys with the shotty, then make a B line to the room in the back. Put Ashely in a corner, there is some ammo there and wait for people to run in single file. At least the door will close when one person comes in. Shoot for the knees and knife/kick. Watch out for the hole in the ceiling though. They'll drop in.

skinnyrattler said:
Screw that. Run to one side only. Kill those guys with the shotty, then make a B line to the room in the back. Put Ashely in a corner, there is some ammo there and wait for people to run in single file. At least the door will close when one person comes in. Shoot for the knees and knife/kick. Watch out for the hole in the ceiling though. They'll drop in.

I do this. But I just dodge all the first lot and head straight for the room.

And to the guy asking all the questions...man, just play the damn game.

You're like that annoying person at the movies who continually asks questions of the person whose already seen it before. If you just kept quiet and kept playing/watching, most/all of your questions would be answered.

Tab0203

4ozrokg.jpg

62gavmc.jpg

5yjwqaq.jpg

54b6q9y.jpg

52xwfox.jpg

5y8juc5.jpg

4kp6qmf.jpg

62ozl88.jpg

6ak4938.jpg

5259ijk.jpg

4uugoeo.jpg

525btwj.jpg

4zt08y8.jpg

4v3rc7q.jpg

4k9dr7n.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Depending on how much you've upgraded your rifle, you can get the guys to line up and kill 4-5 of them with one bullet.

Top Bottom