• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

andthebeatgoeson

tedtropy said:
4l3z1g4.jpg

I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I have a empty birds nest right outside the house.

Laurent said:
I wish the merchant would sell ammo... x_x My Magnum Butterfly is kind of lonely...

Yeah, its really worth getting the handcanon considering that its extremely hard to find magnum ammo. But then again even with the reduced ammo drop rate for the wii, after i finished the game the only thing i lacked in was the handgun ammo.

Sagitario

Tab0203 said:
There is also more ammo if you press continue. Happened to me an hour ago. One of the random item wood boxes contained 25 TMP rounds instead of 900 pesetas.

Are you sure that wasn't something random? I know the crows do change the dropped item randomly...

Tab0203

Farore said:
Are you sure that wasn't something random? I know the crows do change the dropped item randomly...
Yes, we also know some boxes are random.
The crow sitting on the post where you rescue the dog always drops a granade.

I died 4 or 5 times the first time these big cannons fire at you in chapter four (separate ways). First, there was money in the box. From 2nd death on *edit* (or after the first time I died, I can't remember), TMP ammo all the time. I'm pretty sure, but I will test it the next time I'm playing.

They reduce the number of enemies or their health and let you buy health spray. That scissor guy in the cage with the monks, right after the wine bottle in the painting, was gone after I died 2 or 3 (maybe 4) times (gamecube version). It would make sense.

Jokeropia

Laurent said:
I wish the merchant would sell ammo... x_x My Magnum Butterfly is kind of lonely...
You might've noticed it already, but whenever you upgrade the ammo capacity of a weapon, the merchant fills it as a part of the deal. This at least worth taking into consideration for weapons like the Magnum which has rare ammo.

I caved and bought the game at the weekend and i am glad i did.

Resi 4 was the only game i completed last gen. and will probably be the first i complete this gen too.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Laurent said:
Same here. Recently Ive been ok with ammo and Ive had enough to get me through, but there were some parts in the game where I would be so short on ammo and it would be so difficult to get past certain areas.

However, if the merchant did sell ammo it could make the game a hell of a lot easier. During later stages in the game you begin to get a lot of money, so if you could buy ammo, you would be able to afford loads. You could end up buying as much magnum ammo as you like and the game would become too easy because of the butterfly's high firing power.

The only way it would work is if there was a limit to how much ammo you could buy from the merchant. There could either be a buying limit or the merchant could have a limited stock to prevent you from ebing able to buy loads.

Sagitario

Tab0203 said:
Yes, we also know some boxes are random.
The crow sitting on the post where you rescue the dog always drops a granade.

I died 4 or 5 times the first time these big cannons fire at you in chapter four (separate ways). First, there was money in the box. From 2nd death on *edit* (or after the first time I died, I can't remember), TMP ammo all the time. I'm pretty sure, but I will test it the next time I'm playing.

They reduce the number of enemies or their health and let you buy health spray. That scissor guy in the cage with the monks, right after the wine bottle in the painting, was gone after I died 2 or 3 (maybe 4) times (gamecube version). It would make sense.

Please, test it :) ...

DefectiveReject said:
I caved and bought the game at the weekend and i am glad i did.

Resi 4 was the only game i completed last gen. and will probably be the first i complete this gen too.

What? Are you serious? The whole last gen and only 1 game completed?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How the hell can you reorganize your items? The system obviously doesn't maximize space in your atache case by itself, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it manually and I see nothing written about it anywhere. It must be possible, otherwise that'd be ridiculously ****ing stupid.

Dan said:
How the hell can you reorganize your items? The system obviously doesn't maximize space in your atache case by itself, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it manually and I see nothing written about it anywhere. It must be possible, otherwise that'd be ridiculously ****ing stupid.

Well, PS2 version (only version I own), the Triangle button automatically lifted a particular item from the case. I think if you individually select each item, you can rearrange also.

Just keep trying various buttons on the Wiimote/Nunchuk.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bah, I'm a ****ing idiot. I keep reading the + button symbol as the d-pad.

Thanks.

Dascu

Dan said:

You can select, move and turn your items by using the buttons on the Wiimote. I think + and - are used to turn them. Just check your Manual or the in-game memo you got in the beginning of the game.

kottila

Is it any point in going for 1.000.000 pesetas in the first playthrough in Professional or should I just buy and upgrade the other weapons?

Laurent

Jokeropia said:
You might've noticed it already, but whenever you upgrade the ammo capacity of a weapon, the merchant fills it as a part of the deal. This at least worth taking into consideration for weapons like the Magnum which has rare ammo.
Yeah I noticed, but 8 bullets (or 10 or whatever) is far from enough... You can see somtimes that he has plenty of bullets behind him! >_<

andthebeatgoeson

Dan said:
Pick it up with the + button and rotate with the 1 button to flip and the C button to rotate it. Place it down with some other button. It's on the bottom of the screen in the Item menu

kottila said:
Is it any point in going for 1.000.000 pesetas in the first playthrough in Professional or should I just buy and upgrade the other weapons?
I don't think it's possible. Unless you don't upgrade any items and don't buy anything. Which is a beast of a mission. Especially on Professional. I'm assuming you are trying for the Chicago typewriter or the infinite launcher or something. Although, once you beat it, you'll get money a lot faster. I specifically remember I would only be able to get one of those in the middle of a second run. Maybe the castle somewhere. Cuz I remember how the second run, I don't have to deal with the room with
two claw/freddy krueger guys
. It just wasn't as hard and it's probably because I already had the Chi town murderer.

Christine

psycho_snake said:
Same here. Recently Ive been ok with ammo and Ive had enough to get me through, but there were some parts in the game where I would be so short on ammo and it would be so difficult to get past certain areas.

However, if the merchant did sell ammo it could make the game a hell of a lot easier. During later stages in the game you begin to get a lot of money, so if you could buy ammo, you would be able to afford loads. You could end up buying as much magnum ammo as you like and the game would become too easy because of the butterfly's high firing power.

The only way it would work is if there was a limit to how much ammo you could buy from the merchant. There could either be a buying limit or the merchant could have a limited stock to prevent you from ebing able to buy loads.

Most people know that you can effectively get ammo from the merchant by buying ammo capacity upgrades when your clip is empty.

What's not so well known is that the 'exclusive' upgrade for each weapon will also fill that weapon's ammunition to full, even if it's not an exclusive that affects ammo capacity. So empty that BB's clip before you upgrade to 50.0 firepower!

Jokeropia

Laurent said:
Yeah I noticed, but 8 bullets (or 10 or whatever) is far from enough... You can see somtimes that he has plenty of bullets behind him! >_<
Well, there are a few predetermined spots in the game where you get Magnum ammo. Not that many though so if you take advantage of the upgrade deal you'll easily double the total amount. They still have to be reserved for bosses, though. ;)

Christine

StranGER said:
started playing through on pro last night, woah... you die way way faster....

any hints and tips for playing on pro?

Yes. Be a cheap bastard. You know where the enemies are from beating normal, now use that knowledge to murder them in their beds.

Spin kicks can knock down a bunch of enemies at once. Abuse this mechanic, as it leads to the best use of incendiary grenades - enemies on the ground.

Always, always find a spot where you can make the enemies approach you inside of your field of vision. The AI prefers to avoid Leon's sight so that it can attack you from the side or behind, make this impossible for it.

dyls

I can't believe how into this game I am again. I beat it 4 times on GC, and figured I would just check it out on Wii for the new controls and then put it away. But not only am I deep into chapter 5, I can't stop thinking about the game when I'm not playing it, and can't wait to get back to it, just like the first time through. It's amazing how fresh the various set pieces still seem after multiple playthroughs. Thinking about the awesomeness to come really keeps you going. I've been looking forward to the
heavy-breathing hospital guys
for like three chapters, but keep getting pleasantly surprised by another scene that I had forgotten.

I really don't expect that there will be another single-player game of this type that will beat out RE4 for some time. I'd like to think that RE5 will, but I'm just not confident, unless they delay it for two years, scrap everything and start over again three times, and really just work out every detail like they did for this game. The care shown in RE4 is evident in every single scene. It really is on the short list for best games ever.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
StranGER said:
any hints and tips for playing on pro?
In addition to what the others said, learn how to push the action button at the right times. There are various enemy attacks that are shut down in the most badass style if you just push the action button right before they reach you.

kamikaze

question for anyone who's played through on professional mode...is the tactical vest available in this mode? i'm up to the krausser fight and just realized that i haven't seen it for sale yet.

i'm also using special costume 2 (ganster leon/armored ashley) so i guess that could be why i haven't been offered the vest.

Coop

I just got this game yesterday and it's pretty good so far. Just two questions

1.) Why do headshots appear to be so random? Maybe it's my aim....

2.) Does anybody have any tips on using the knife? I just cant get the hang of it.

Jokeropia

Coop said:
Afaik, exploding headshots are kinda random unless the enemy has little HP left. Any shot in the head should still do more damage and stun regular enemies (giving you the chance to kick them), though.
Coop said:
2.) Does anybody have any tips on using the knife? I just cant get the hang of it.
Just slash with the Wiimote. Aiming is automatic.

Coop

Jokeropia said:
Afaik, exploding headshots are kinda random unless the enemy has little HP left. Any shot in the head should still do more damage and stun regular enemies (giving you the chance to kick them), though.
Just slash with the Wiimote. Aiming is automatic.

Hmm, sometimes when I slash the screen will start spazzing (ie going up and down,side to side).

Dahbomb

Coop said:
I just got this game yesterday and it's pretty good so far. Just two questions

1) It has something to do with the type of gun you are using plus the range at which you are using it. Honestly I still find it random.

2) Stick and move. Also for combat purposes, hold it down instead of tapping it he slashes more rapidly. Actually now that I think about it you probably CANNOT hold down anything because the knife controls in the Wii are different. Tough luck on that one. Generally it's recommended to use a knife when you do a QTE hit and go up to an enemy and start slashing him when he's down.

Some person asked for some tips early in the game for scratch Professional walkthrough. Here are some of mine:

1) Against the initial enemies, ammo conversation is important. Always shoot for the lower leg, never try to headshot them. When you shoot their lower leg, they will get on one knee and you should run up to them and do a spin kick. When they are on the floor, run up to them over their body, pull your knife, aim low and start slashing away. You are easily able to kill like 2 of them while they are done like this.

2) Use Grenades for tight spots. If you have played the game before you should know that there are plenty around and these grenades are more useful against groups of enemies than bosses anyway (at least initially).

3) Buy treasure maps whenever you get the chance. Always go out of your way to find treasure. The money you use to upgrade your guns go a LONG way in Profession mode. The maps also give the location for the blue coins that you can shoot for a free gun.

4) Take your time gathering resources. Check every nook and cranny for extra bullets, health items whatever.

5) Shotgun is your savior, treat it's bullets like as if each bullet is a grenade. Line up shots so you get more than one enemy in range.

6) Shoot the animals or slash them for extra cash. In Professional mode, you need to be cheap, brutal and sadistic.

7) Do not try be a man and take on enemies that are too many in numbers. Running away is always a good option.

8) Flash grenades are very useful against when the villagers start growing those creatures through their heads. When a large group of them have those things coming out of their heads, through a flash grenades and they all die. This is EXTREMELY useful for the suit of armors very late in the game that has the creatures coming out yet still have high stamina because of their suits.

9) Reverse turn is very important in the game but you SHOULD know this already. Learn how to use it and use it as well. Always be on the move. Use set pieces in the environments whenever there is the option.

10) Rocket launcher is a one hit kill on most bosses. Have it in reserve for those tight spots but if you are a real pro like me you wouldn't need it...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you shoot them in the head, it is a headshot. Their heads only explode if the power of your shot exceeds the amount of health they have left by a certain amount. This happens either by using a powerful weapon, or by your pistol doing a critical which is more powerful and only has a certain chance of happening.

The exclusive (meaning, final) upgrade for the normal pistol makes a critical 5 times more likely, but dishing out all that cash isn't worth it when you can just use the Red9 (over twice as strong at full power). The Red9 becomes available later on, but it's not until then that you need the power.

The Punisher can shoot through multiple enemies, and its final upgrade can go through up to 5 dudes. However, this is also a waste of money because they line up so rarely that if you have the chance to do that you might as well pull out your rifle and kill 5 guys with one bullet.

Honestly though, there isn't too much you can go wrong with in this game. All picking the "best" means is that you devistate them even more. The Wii makes everyone an aiming pro, so evasive/herding/conservation skills are what will make the difference in finishing well, and it's not very hard to do.

My shotgun ammo got pretty low after a certain maze, and towards the end there is a lot of heavy combat where melee isnt really an option and I got really low on all ammo then. Still, I got more before the very end and some weapons are obviously best saved for bosses so you never have to worry if you have something left for them. I got hurt enough to max out my health meter with the mixed herbs and still finished with like 12-15 full heals left.

In multiple playthroughs your options open up and that is where you can really have fun. You can use whatever you want and do things in any way. I never expected a linear shooter to have this experimental sort of fun in replay like Mario 64. One of my favorite replay moments is
when you get to the guys chanting in a group and they try to escape when they see you. Insetad of an average attack, sneak up and shoot the IRL down at them. They blow up in the cutscene where they notice you. It's hilarious.

Lobster

Banned
Started playing this game just 2 days ago. Amazing game, so awesome. The beginning of the game wasn't all that scary..I was thinking some people were just overrating the scare factor but right after you defeat that lake monster thing and its all dark everything just gets scarafied. My favourite part so far has been fighting the El Gigante..that was pretty wicked.

Right now im past the bit where I team up with Luis and am now in this area which has these bins that I can hide Ashlee in. There are also chainsaw women or men..dunno but they don't have sacks over their heads. I lost at this part because they carried Ashlee away. Next time im just going to leave her in one of those bins while I take care of business.

My biggest dissapointment with the game is the level of interactivity with the environment. But that doesn't dissapointment me too much since im always on task and there isn't much to explore anyway.

This is my first time playing Resident Evil 4 or any Resident Evil and at first the controls were very awkward to me..not the aiming but the moving.

Scrubking

Lobster said:
HELP NEEDED! How do I defeat that big mutha trucker who I burn and becomes that wolverine like thing?

Shoot him... A lot.

You have to unload everything you have at his mid section, then when he splits in half use flash bombs to keep him on the floor while you unload.

Lobster

Banned
Scrubking said:
Shoot him... A lot.

You have to unload everything you have at his mid section, then when he splits in half use flash bombs to keep him on the floor while you unload.

I did it by myself but thanks even if it was a little late. I just shot him alot with my shot gun..that helps.

Im now inside the castle. Saved at the part that the little midget guy speaks to you.

AniHawk

Lobster said:
I did it by myself but thanks even if it was a little late. I just shot him alot with my shot gun..that helps.

Im now inside the castle. Saved at the part that the little midget guy speaks to you.
Ahhh.... Mr. Kennedy...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TMP is so under-rated, I exclusively maxed it and it murders bosses.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Ahhh.... Mr. Kennedy...

he's such an easy fight.

use the TMP on the eye and when he opens up shoot him with your broken butterfly. I beat him in around 30 seconds not moving from the front door where it starts

AniHawk

catfish said:
he's such an easy fight.

use the TMP on the eye and when he opens up shoot him with your broken butterfly. I beat him in around 30 seconds not moving from the front door where it starts
Yep. Child's play.

vareon

Finished this game yesterday! :D

The final boss is just...what? Two shots and it's over... Rocket launcher really ruins the game.

Lobster

Banned
I just fought that wolverine guy in the prison cell..I should've blasted him before I got in there..

My favourite weapon has so far been the shotgun..awesome awesome awesome. I haven't had to use the knife so much on enemies which im actually very thankful for.

Laurent

Now I am at the part where there are those naked zombies that you need to shoot using the rifle with the heat-view-scope... I forgot about those! ;_;

Haunted

Laurent said:
Now I am at the part where there are those naked zombies that you need to shoot using the rifle with the heat-view-scope... I forgot about those! ;_;
aw man. The
lab
where they first appear is by far the creepiest part of the whole game. so awesome.

Haunted One said:
aw man. The
lab
where they first appear is by far the creepiest part of the whole game. so awesome.

Its a nice nod towards the Heaven Smile from Killer 7.

When i first encountered one i shot the legs off with an SMG thinking that they'd be slower if they crawl along the floor only to be surprised when they would leap forward with no legs and attack

Lobster said:
I just fought that wolverine guy in the prison cell..I should've blasted him before I got in there..

My favourite weapon has so far been the shotgun..awesome awesome awesome. I haven't had to use the knife so much on enemies which im actually very thankful for.
No matter what resi I play, the shotgun always makes me feel safe and it's always on my character(s) :D

kottila

Professional is a bitch. Died five times just in the first village, before I gave up. Maybe I don't have what it takes.

Lobster said:

The Garrador is considered non-interactive until he breaks free of his chains. You can't shoot him first.

And also, killing the Right Hand on Pro Mode with a 'Handguns Only' runthrough = WOOOOOOO

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just finished it today- took it slow for like a month then basically played through the last 3 chapters in the last 24 hours- literally couldn't stop.

Great great game.

Just awesome.

bumpkin

(I actually posted this in the "the term next gen needs to be dropped" thread, but thought it might be relevant here...)

A friend of mine gave me RE4 Wii for my birthday the other day (well, belated bday... It was in July). When I was on my usual streak of Saturday night gaming, I decided to give it a shot. The very thing I noticed was how fuzzy everything was and how washed out the colors were. It didn't look right to me. I mean I remember that RE4 always had that kind of grainy contrast, but I didn't remember it being that bad. That got me wondering.

Not too long ago, I managed to procure a set of component cables for my GC, so I currently have that set up along with my Wii (and 360 and PS2). Anyway, I decided to conduct a little comparison. I booted up RE4 on the 'Cube (in 480p, like my Wii), and got it to the part where you first start out; Leon is looking down the trail with the house in the distance. Then, I switched over to the Wii version and got to the same place. When I popped back and forth from one to the other, my findings were kind of shocking. On the GC version, everything -- Leon, the ground, trees, etc. -- was nice and crisp. Looks every bit as sexy as I remember it looking way back. Conversely, on the Wii, everything looks like it's blurred, and is nowhere near as sharp. And this isn't just my eyes playing tricks on me; switching back and forth between the two is like night and day.

So that got me thinking... Is RE4 Wii truly widescreen or did they pull the ol' stretcheroo trick (got rid of the bars and stretched the viewable area)? If I have some time later, I can try and snap some pics, though I have no way of doing direct captures and don't know if a digital camera will show the difference all that well.

Top Bottom