• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

I just discovered that you can shoot the bell at the church and summon more Ganados. How little do they know that they are being summoned to their death.

Jokeropia

Vexidus said:
More like Knee Shot > Kick Edition! :D
You can kick them after headshots as well. Of course, to use the suplex you need to shoot the legs.

I'm replaying it with the handcannon now. Headshot = instant head explosion. It's like popping bubble wrap! :D

Dommel

I could've opened a LTTP:RE4 topic because I have to admit I never played it on GC. It comes up a lot on GAF as a highly praised game so it already peaked my interest but I waited until the Wii Edition.

It's the most fun I've had in months! Amazing atmosphere and gameplay, graphics not so much (escpecially sitting less then 2m away from a 37" LCD hurts a bit with a composite cable).

But the amazing gameplay makes up for the loss in polished graphics. Never a dull moment with the lake, the lift etc. Just pure win all they way through so far :D

Vlad

Singho said:
Then it had those moments, it wasn't scary game at all...but I was tense the whole time. Always trying to prepare myself for a RE TM scare...missed it each time and ended up freaking out in the wrong areas such as The Farm and standing infront of the Train CERTAIN that if I got on it somthing bad will happen. xD Did it hell, it was just to ferry me from A-B.

I loved that, for the most part, the game relied more on tense/intimidating situations instead of having stuff just jump out at you.

If nothing else, it made the few times that there were "jump" scares all the more effective.

Just finished on Normal.

Number of enemies killed: 487
Time: 12:00:37
Deaths: 0

Now to do it all again on Pro, with no continuation save.

Or maybe I'll go for 5 stars again on Mercs. Or play Assignment Ada. Damnit, too many options!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what's the requirement to get 5 stars on the mercenaries mode.

it's hard/i'm weaksauce.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
30,000 for 4 stars (unlocks character)

60,000 for 5 stars

I'm not so far then.

On the first level, my string gets broken at least 1 time by the chainsaw bitches. I get scared when I hear them start up :(

Haunted

It's unbelievable how my accuracy skyrocketed on Wii compared to the GC version. Controls work fantastic. My only gripe is the analogue aiming for the rifle, makes me use the other weapons much more than usual.

ElectricBlue187 said:
yeah I can't go back to analog now, give me at least a spin off wii RE 5 game
RE5 is coming to PC, the odds are this will have proper mouse support (developed in-house) so no sweat.

I too would like another pointer-style RE4 game though-it just feels so good.

Javaman

Haunted One said:
It's unbelievable how my accuracy skyrocketed on Wii compared to the GC version. Controls work fantastic. My only gripe is the analogue aiming for the rifle, makes me use the other weapons much more than usual.

Yeah, I managed to get the special bottle cap on just about every first try with the Wii version. One of my buds spent over 8 hours just trying the get the last couple on the PS2. he couldn't believe how much easier it was on the Wii. I just finished the game on normal and am looking forward to ripping through it on pro.

neoism

Guys, I'm getting this in a few days, but I was wondering about the reticle. If you can use the Wii classic controller does it go back to the laser. If so, can you use the laser with the Wiimote. I really hate the way that reticle looks, it's to big.

neoism said:
Guys, I'm getting this in a few days, but I was wondering about the reticle. If you can use the Wii classic controller does it go back to the laser. If so, can you use the laser with the Wiimote. I really hate the way that reticle looks, it's to big.
I'm not sure if you can use the classic controller.

But using the GC controller, it goes back to the laser pointer.

The reticule works excellently well btw. I hated it too when seeing it on screens, but while playing, it's great.

neoism

Magicpaint said:
I'm not sure if you can use the classic controller.

But using the GC controller, it goes back to the laser pointer.

The reticule works excellently well btw. I hated it too when seeing it on screens, but while playing, it's great.

Thanks man, looks like I'll just have to get use to it!

StranGER

catfish said:
I'm not so far then.

On the first level, my string gets broken at least 1 time by the chainsaw bitches. I get scared when I hear them start up :(

the xtra it gives you after getting 5 stars on every level with every charecter is well worth the struggle.

to avoid those chainsaw ladies i normally would grab all the time bounus and head to the little shack up front climb the lader and knock it down then get the bounus up there and unload on everyone who follows. just knock the ladder down again when they put it up and get a huge multiplyer as they keep coming at ya.

Jokeropia

You shouldn't have to worry about the Chainsaw sisters as long as you make your stand in a spot where they can't surprise you from behind. Assuming you're still on Leon (the worst Mercenary character IMO), a shotgun blast will knock them to the ground. Then you can either pepper them with the handgun or wait until they get up for a second shotgun blast.

And yeah, always start out by picking up all the time bonuses and then hole up in a barn or something where enemies can't get you from behind.

Bebpo

Banned
Can anyone tell me graphically how this compares to the GC/PS2/PC one? Does it look 1:1 with the definitive GC version or does it look like the crappy PS2/PC version?

neoism said:
Thanks man, looks like I'll just have to get use to it!
It's not bad really. Remember that the crosshair is only green when you are in aiming mode, when running around it's a semi-transparent white.

Christine

Bebpo said:
Can anyone tell me graphically how this compares to the GC/PS2/PC one? Does it look 1:1 with the definitive GC version or does it look like the crappy PS2/PC version?

In 4:3 letterbox mode, it looks identical to the GC version.

In widescreen mode, it looks like the GC version but 'scaled' the same way as the PS2 version, with the lovely addition of a blurry flicker filter.

So it depends.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:

The main game and Assignment Ada were ported from GameCube. The game has true widescreen this time.

Separate Ways was ported from PS2 and has upgrades, but still retains some PS2 elements.

Laurent

Alright, let's pretend I never made that stupid clone thread...

I've just bought the Wii Edition of Resident Evil 4. I am not new to the game, I bought the original GameCube version on it's released day. I have to admit that I am quite impressed by how easy it is to aim at enemies. So easy that I am under the impression that Capcom have changed how headshots are awarded; it's definitively harder to kill Ganados. And moving Leon appears to be weird and clunky. After plugging a GameCube controller in the port (did you know that game was compatible with the Wii Classic controler OR the GameCube controller? the button icons will changed accordingly) I definitively found myself at ease, confronting enemies like I am f__king Rambo...

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I wanted the bonus stuff from the PS2 / PC version anyways, and I keep earing so much positive impressions about the Wii control on this game. Does the fact that I only played for 40-50 minutes influence my perception? Did you feel the same way the first time you played the game? How long do you think it will get me to get used to it?

Another thing, before the Bingo cutscene, the chainsaw guy never showed up. How come? Does this game difficulty changed radically? I never really remember if I was doing anything to trigger his presence before...

Jirotrom

Laurent said:

I've just bought the Wii Edition of Resident Evil 4. I am not new to the game, I bought the original GameCube version on it's released day. I have to admit that I am quite impressed by how easy it is to aim at enemies. So easy that I am under the impression that Capcom have changed how headshots are awarded; it's definitively harder to kill Ganados. And moving Leon appears to be weird and clunky. After plugging a GameCube controller in the port (did you know that game was compatible with the Wii Classic controler OR the GameCube controller? the button icons will changed accordingly) I definitively found myself at ease, confronting enemies like I am f__king Rambo...

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I wanted the bonus stuff from the PS2 / PC version anyways, and I keep earing so much positive impressions about the Wii control on this game. Does the fact that I only played for 40-50 minutes influence my perception? Did you feel the same way the first time you played the game? How long do you think it will get me to get used to it?

Another thing, before the Bingo cutscene, the chainsaw guy never showed up. How come? Does this game difficulty changed radically? I never really remember if I was doing anything to trigger his presence before...
you thought moving Leon was clunky in comparison to the gamecube controller? It felt exactly the same except its easier to aim. To answer your question it took me about 30 min to 60 min to adjust to the new controls. Once I did it was like butter, I really can't go back to the gamecube controls at all. When I pick off a crow flying above head instantly and finish levels with above 90% accuracy I can't go back.

Vexidus

Laurent said:

Re4 Wii Edition was my first play through Re4 so I can't answer everything but I can definitely tell you that the controls get way better once you've played for like 10 hours, you'll be able to do the 180 degree turn with ease, you'll be used to shaking the remote to swing the knife/reload, generally be more used to it and be able to operate much faster. As good as it feels now, it's gonna feel way better later on.

Part of getting used to it for me though was learning the game for the first time, like double hitting A to kick a door open with force, knee shots + kicks, etc. So surely you'll be up to speed in much less time since you've played the game before.

About the chainsaw person, I noticed that if I entered that building with the shotgun, I encountered the chainsaw person, if I stayed outside (I prefer this) they didn't appear.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
When you get good with the controls, it's so fun.

It's like... "oh, what's in here...ZOMBIE OUT OF NOWHE*INSTANT HEADSHOT*

Yeah, so satisfying to have those reflexes and accuracy down. It's the same when you jump kick those bug things out of the air before they get a hold of you.

Laurent

Jirotrom said:
you thought moving Leon was clunky in comparison to the gamecube controller? It felt exactly the same except its easier to aim. To answer your question it took me about 30 min to 60 min to adjust to the new controls. Once I did it was like butter, I really can't go back to the gamecube controls at all. When I pick off a crow flying above head instantly and finish levels with above 90% accuracy I can't go back.
Same for me. It's really the first time I achieve such high hits accuracies. But I feel as if the GameCube controller gives me more flexible ways to turn, to run wherever I want. We the nunchuk, I feel more like a tank. I turn on myself before choosing the direction to run for. I probably just need to get used to it...

Vexidus said:
Re4 Wii Edition was my first play through Re4 so I can't answer everything but I can definitely tell you that the controls get way better once you've played for like 10 hours, you'll be able to do the 180 degree turn with ease, you'll be used to shaking the remote to swing the knife/reload, generally be more used to it and be able to operate much faster. As good as it feels now, it's gonna feel way better later on.
The knife is really a problem for me. Leon doesn't respond instantanously, which is somehow normal, but at the same time it really bothers me. I rather use the C button to use the knife as long as I want...

Vexidus said:
About the chainsaw person, I noticed that if I entered that building with the shotgun, I encountered the chainsaw person, if I stayed outside (I prefer this) they didn't appear.
Yeah, I killed pretty much everyone using my gun and I only went to the building next to the women on the left (when you enter the town) through the window; I took the shotgun only once everybody went to Bingo...

Tab0203

quick question:
I'm playing through Seperate Ways right now. Second chapter. Should I buy the medium attache case or wait for large?
Since this is much shorter, will there even be an XL case? Then I would buy the medium case right now and skip the large one.

Vexidus

Tab0203 said:
quick question:
I'm playing through Seperate Ways right now. Second chapter. Should I buy the medium attache case or wait for large?
Since this is much shorter, will there even be an XL case? Then I would buy the medium case right now and skip the large one.

I say go for the cases first and then after that get the bowgun in time for mission 4, in the meantime use the space to hold bolts and the ridiculous amount of full heals you'll find.

Edit: I read your question more closely and see what you're asking now, myself I found enough treasure to afford each case as they became available and was still able to get the bowgun also, so if you need space right away I say go for it!

Laurent

Tab0203 said:
That's true. Also, the enemies drop a lot more money than ammo compared to the gamecube version.
I thought so, I just got killed for the first time by that giant monster on my way back to the church. No ammunition left! ;_;

Tab0203

They already changed that in the ps2 version, I believe. But it's better than I expected. I always had at least one alternative weapon left when I ran out of ammo.
And that "click - click - click - shit! out of ammo!"-moment almost never happened in the gamecube version.

Vexidus

Yeah that's one thing about this game that kinda irked me, the apparent lack of ammo combined with more or harder to kill enemies for the wii version.. It annoyed me that I couldn't buy ammo from the merchant even though you see it stocked on his shelves and shit! I needed to tune capacity just for the free ammo at one point.

I guess though, that the low ammo added to the atmosphere and the tenseness of playing, it also honed my knife and kick skills! :D

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just bought the Wii with RE4. Can someone tell me why the game looks that bad with composite cable on an HDTV? I mean, nothing about the old graphics but this game definitly looks like it could use 4x AA. Is it possible to avoid that or do I have to play through the game with this graphics? -.-

EBCubs03

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Are the mercenary missions easier on the Wii? I was wondering, since I gave up too easily on the GCN versions.

I don't think so, but only because semi-auto rifle is harder to use on the fly because of the analog/wiimote transition. But if you got used to it, it'd definitely be a lot easier.

But for some reason I can't get the hang of it no matter how much I use it. My mindset is either completely wiimote or completely analog..

Jirotrom

TheExorzist said:
Just bought the Wii with RE4. Can someone tell me why the game looks that bad with composite cable on an HDTV? I mean, nothing about the old graphics but this game definitly looks like it could use 4x AA. Is it possible to avoid that or do I have to play through the game with this graphics? -.-
try component cables:p Yeah RE has always looked jaggy, probably why everyone is crazy about RE5... RE4 was one of those games that could definitely benefit the HD upgrade.

HylianTom

Banned
Add me to the list of people finishing for the first time ever. What a game!

I'm making my way through Separate Ways right now (just reached Chapter 5) before attempting a Professional playthrough. I'm a chicken - I want Ashley's suit of armor.. :p

Speaking of which.. are there any interesting armor advantages, other than Ashley being a good, indestructible decoy? Can she block a doorway, or stand at the top of a ladder and prevent Ganados from reaching the top while Leon stands there mocking them?

(The Water Room's gonna be a lot more fun this time around.. :D )

TheExorzist said:
Turn your sharpness down, adjust contrast and use component cables as someone else already suggested. I think the dithering is far more bothersome than the jaggies but that's just me.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Phife Dawg said:
Turn your sharpness down, adjust contrast and use component cables as someone else already suggested. I think the dithering is far more bothersome than the jaggies but that's just me.
I'm already using component cabel! Man, this sucks - honestly.

Jokeropia

Tab0203 said:
That's true. Also, the enemies drop a lot more money than ammo compared to the gamecube version.
It's because this version is afaik based on the PAL GC version, which also had more money and less ammo drops that the US version.

Other changes include Blacktail, Red9 and Bolt Action Rifle having higher final firepower than the US GC version. (BAR exclusive firepower is increased from 18 to 30!)

Top Bottom