• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Dascu

PuppetSlave said:
Disagree about the TMP. Love it. Just fire it in short bursts.

Well, the TMP is quite useful sometimes. I used it a lot in Ada's missions. I just think it's not necessary when you have a good handgun, shotgun and rifle. I wanted to use the space for other stuff.

Then again, I kept the Minethrower for the entire game, only using it once on a Regenerator somewhere. Should've gotten rid of that instead of the TMP. :p

the sniper - get the new one? semi auto is great but I never upgrade fire power on them, cause headshots or nothing is the go for me.
The semi-auto rifle's a lot better than the standard rifle. Especially in a certain fight where you have to snipe guys attacking Ashley.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dascu said:
The semi-auto rifle's a lot better than the standard rifle. Especially in a certain fight where you have to snipe guys attacking Ashley.

haha, I bought it after that section. durrr.

Man it's a great game I didn't think I would like it this much on the second play through. I need reminding how long it is again though, I'm up to the clock tower at the castle.

kottila

catfish said:
haha, I bought it after that section. durrr.

Man it's a great game I didn't think I would like it this much on the second play through. I need reminding how long it is again though, I'm up to the clock tower at the castle.

I would guess 5-7 hours? I spent 20 hours on the whole thing, but 1-2 hours were due to the game being kept on pause.

cvxfreak

Hydro_Alexis said:
Hmmmm i am not so sure i have completed the game in every mode apart from the main game on easy difficult, and i still can not access this trailer.

That's rather unfortunate. I wonder if it speaks volumes for the game's release in the PAL territories this year.

Does anyone think the order of the
bonus weapons
is messed up? I mean, the
PRL
is so much more powerful than the
Chicago Typewriter
, making the acquisition of the latter somewhat anti-climactic.

Any tips on Mercenaries? Geez, it's tough. Makes me wish for a whole spin-off game based on the premise: more playable characters, more locations, versus and co-op... Man can dream.

Dascu

Count Dookkake said:
Does anyone think the order of the
bonus weapons
is messed up? I mean, the
PRL
is so much more powerful than the
Chicago Typewriter
, making the acquisition of the latter somewhat anti-climactic.

Well, the CT was added in the PS2 version. Besides, the Gangster suit makes it all worth it.

On the cube version I loved using a different weapon set on a 2nd play-thru, sometimes a gun might be a little worse then another but it makes you think differently about taking enemies down.

Banned
I just finished this on normal, and holy sh!t, such an epic & amazing game, beginning to end!

But I just went to restart in Pro and my weapons weren't there, so I checked Normal, and they weren't there either!?! I thought you got to keep yr weapons after you finished it!?

666 said:
I just finished this on normal, and holy sh!t, such an epic & amazing game, beginning to end!

But I just went to restart in Pro and my weapons weren't there, so I checked Normal, and they weren't there either!?! I thought you got to keep yr weapons after you finished it!?
You need to load up your new round file to keep the weapons, not start a new one altogether.

Dascu

cvxfreak said:
No, it was in the GC version too.
Oh? How do you access it then, seeing how it's unlocked by finishing Assignment Ada on the PS2/Wii? Beating the game on PRO or something?

Variable

Dascu said:
Oh? How do you access it then, seeing how it's unlocked by finishing Assignment Ada on the PS2/Wii? Beating the game on PRO or something?

You have to beat Assignment Ada in the Game Cube version to unlock it. You have to beat Separate Ways in the PS2/Wii version to unlock it in the main game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm saving up to get the IRL and I have enough to where if I sold 3 of my upgraded weapons I can buy it. However, I think the shotgun would be useful for when I'm surprised and they're in my face, and the sniper rifle would be useful for the section with Ashley so I don't kill her. What to do...

I'm not done with Separate Ways, but I just started using the TMP and wow it's effective against zealots. Also, I keep worrying that I use too many healing items, but I have 4 full heals so it'll probably go in a similar fashion to the main game where I had like 15 or so at the end (and tons of grenades)

kottila

Magicpaint said:
You need to load up your new round file to keep the weapons, not
start a new one altogether.

So all is lost when you go pro? What's the difference between normal and pro? just more enduring zombies? Hopefully more ammo as well, I was shooting blanks more than a couple of times in normal. Maybe it's not that a good idea to kill everything. Had about 900 kills.

Dascu

Variable said:
You have to beat Assignment Ada in the Game Cube version to unlock it. You have to beat Separate Ways in the PS2/Wii version to unlock it in the main game.

Oh right, mixed those two up. Thanks for the info.

kottila said:
So all is lost when you go pro? What's the difference between normal and pro? just more enduring zombies?
Zombies are faster, more aggressive, take more hits and do more damage. Ammo/health pic ups stay the same, so you have to be more efficient with your ethnic cleansing.

kottila said:
So all is lost when you go pro? What's the difference between normal and pro? just more enduring zombies? Hopefully more ammo as well, I was shooting blanks more than a couple of times in normal. Maybe it's not that a good idea to kill everything. Had about 900 kills.

Yes, all is lost when you go pro. But that's fantastic, because RE4 is even better on that difficulty :p

I can remember having more ammo, but enemies generally do more damage and take much more damage too.

I think killing everything is fine, as I take that approach often (my last playthrough had 955 kills), it's just that you need to effectively kill them, more than anything else. Finding the best ways to dispatch them is a big part of the fun of the game for me.

Banned
Dice said:
So I'm saving up to get the IRL and I have enough to where if I sold 3 of my upgraded weapons I can buy it. However, I think the shotgun would be useful for when I'm surprised and they're in my face, and the sniper rifle would be useful for the section with Ashley so I don't kill her. What to do..

Yeah, i'm the same. I WON'T sell my Red 9, coz I love it, the Striker I don't wanna sell either, coz it's good times. TMP I can sell without worrying too much, and i'm deciding on whether the rifle should go, but it's only worth $30,000. The other things are maxed out, so losing them would be losing half the fun.

dankir

Did all you bastards buy every game of this game that exists? I went to my local Wal-mart, Best Buy and Toys R Us and all were sold out.

Jirotrom

I purchased another Wii yesterday and got this game. At first the controls were weird but now there is no way in hell I can go back to the cube controls.

EDIT:I would like to also add that the sniper controls which I thought from what I heard were "crap" is actually very likeable for me. I thought it would be really bad when I heard you would ame with the nunchuck but it actually works really well.

fusoya59

Count Dookkake said:
Any tips on Mercenaries? Geez, it's tough. Makes me wish for a whole spin-off game based on the premise: more playable characters, more locations, versus and co-op... Man can dream.
Hrmm, I too would like some tips. The best I can ever do is get a 3 star rating. I thought this mode would be easier with the wiimote aiming, but boy was I wrong.

cvxfreak

Variable said:

Yeah, beating Assignment Ada unlocks the Chicago Typewriter, but only in Separate Ways.

Dice

I got another million in time to go to the island with both the IRL and CT. Turns out you rake in the cash when you're selling stuff instead of using it. This is a hilarious combination of weapons. You can even use the IRL on Regenerators so there is no need for anything else. I have my IRL and CT on the bottom, the whole top row full of full heals and a few flash grenades in case I somehow can't handle things.

After going through Separate Ways for the first time, I have come to the conclusion that Mikami really knew his shit about making an RE game not feel entirely like your forced into backtracking. The first 3 chapters of SW felt like a chore. 4 and 5 were cool because they were new and fairly linear.

taku

Aww man. I can't wait till I get home from work so I can play this game.

I want new weapons though. I've only upgraded my handgun with level 2 fire power and ammo capacity since I thought it would be a waste if I could just buy a better weapon later on that I could upgrade and use for a longer period of the game..

When the hell can I buy some REAL weapons? I haven't played the game much, but I'm at
the part where I have to choose between two different roads to get Ashley to the helicopter.

cvxfreak

Mr. Pointy said:
After going through Separate Ways for the first time, I have come to the conclusion that Mikami really knew his shit about making an RE game not feel entirely like your forced into backtracking. The first 3 chapters of SW felt like a chore. 4 and 5 were cool because they were new and fairly linear.

What? It's a simplified version of the RE2 A/B system if anything.

StranGER

loved playing this all over again.

quick question though.

so i was watching the little movie that plays before you hit start and notice some weapon Leon has that blast some kind of electric laser everywhere?? what is that and how do i get it for my second playthrough?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
StranGER said:
loved playing this all over again.

quick question though.

so i was watching the little movie that plays before you hit start and notice some weapon Leon has that blast some kind of electric laser everywhere?? what is that and how do i get it for my second playthrough?
It's called the PRL 412, and it's gonna have to be your 3rd play-through I'm afraid, as it's yours after beating professional mode ;]

And for the record, 'PRL' stands for 'Plagas Removal Laser', which indicates this weapon does jack against anything not Plagas related. (Can't shoot chains, treasure, etc)

kottila

B-Genius said:
It's called the PRL 412, and it's gonna have to be your 3rd play-through I'm afraid, as it's yours after beating professional mode ;]

Is there any point in playing the game for a third time? Except using the new fancy weapon?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
kottila said:
Is there any point in playing the game for a third time? Except using the new fancy weapon?
Not unless you still haven't seen one of the special costumes ^^ I have one cleared normal save where I have an absolute sh*t-ton of money, which has spawned a few 'silly' saves: RCPD Leon with fully upgraded handcannon; Gangster Leon with CT; Regular Leon with Infinite Launcher; etc. :D

I'll get my act together and go through Pro mode properly one day.

Dice said:
So I'm saving up to get the IRL and I have enough to where if I sold 3 of my upgraded weapons I can buy it. However, I think the shotgun would be useful for when I'm surprised and they're in my face, and the sniper rifle would be useful for the section with Ashley so I don't kill her. What to do...

I'm not done with Separate Ways, but I just started using the TMP and wow it's effective against zealots. Also, I keep worrying that I use too many healing items, but I have 4 full heals so it'll probably go in a similar fashion to the main game where I had like 15 or so at the end (and tons of grenades)

Dude...on the Wii version, you can do the Ashley 'crank' part with just a pistol. Any pistol. And basically no health.

Dice

wormstrangler said:
Dude...on the Wii version, you can do the Ashley 'crank' part with just a pistol. Any pistol. And basically no health.
I ended up doing that with the shotgun. I picked up a semi-auto rifle with no scope or upgrades for the farther back sequence, although I still used the IRL for most of the guys. The CT is really nice because you don't have to stop to go into scope view and it just keeps going and going, but it's still nice to have the IRL other times.

Singho

Finished this last week, and I am so glad I managed to somehow not finish the GC version and keep the game fresh for it's release on the Wii. Took my time, explored every nook and cranny and collected as many treasures as I could. Just wish I had realised earlier that you could combine treasures and jewls for extra cash.

One adrenaline rush after another, especially with the cutscenes into gameplay. It was all about the pacing , tons of zombies all over the scene, given a bit of breathing space only to end up running straight into a boss, then you get stumped with a silly puzzle then BANG a som new beasty appears to rip your head off and spit acid all over it.

Then it had those moments, it wasn't scary game at all...but I was tense the whole time. Always trying to prepare myself for a RE TM scare...missed it each time and ended up freaking out in the wrong areas such as The Farm and standing infront of the Train CERTAIN that if I got on it somthing bad will happen. xD Did it hell, it was just to ferry me from A-B.

The castle section was crazy. Capcom must have got some real blue prints of a castle and then recreated it for you to run through each and every square inch. I thought I would never get out of there. Once I did though, I thought things might be coming to a close but oh noes...
secret island!
Monks were damn creepy though, that chanting. >_<;

Oh and I LOVED that part where you had to get past the
Laser Corridor.
xD Blatant rip from one of the coolest bits from the movie, I was thinking that any moment the
lasers will form a grid
and pwn Leon. xD No way you could avoid it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgsCPFhSgc

:lol Brilliant :lol

Loved every moment of this game and I can't believe that i've still got the Seperate Ways, Assignment Ada and the Mercenaries to play through properly. For £25 that's a whole lot of game! Won't faff onabout how good the controls are as people have done enough of that, but there was some wierd ommissions from using it in the inventory screen and when using the rifle for some reason, just had to use the nunchuck.

The ending was a bit dissapointing, but I guess thats what Seperate Ways is for as Leon managed to wrap everything up, just need to know Ada's half.

Got my 360 back this week, so not had a chance to return to RE4, but I will be soon to finish off SW and sink plenty of time into Mercenaries and run through Pro.

Oh and...
Why the hell didn't Leon save The Merchant too?! Just a quick heads up or somthing to make a swim for it atleast! I'm sure he got away though, probably had a speed boat under that trench coat...
I hope.

Proven said:
Oh man, those Regenerators made me scream. Repeatedly. With people in the room watching me play. First time I saw them walk, I ran, and ran, and ran until they went down a hallway and I had 10 minutes to calm down. Then I tried my trusty shotgun and I screamed and ran afterward. Seriously, I probably could have given that screaming Japanese Resident Evil player a run for his money.

Those things are the single biggest reason why I haven't purchased this Wiimake yet. I don't think I could go through that section again by myself.

Sorry but that sounds like a scene I would have loved to witness! :lol: :)

You can do it though! Wiimote aiming will help...and alot of distance! Although the best way ofcourse is the rifle and infared combo. Speaking of which, the Regenerator in the room where you do get the IR scope from. :S

Tab0203

I'm on my 6th or 7th playthrough and it's still a masterpiece.

edit

RE4 and Metroid Prime on Gamecube are the reason why I don't like plastic looking games (and HL2 compared to Far Cry and Doom3). Bump/normalmapping. It was nice in Rogue Squadron 2, because of the setting, but i prefer the realistic look of RE4 and the handcrafted scratches and bumps in the walls in Metroid Prime.

4pbw60z.jpg

Lafazar

Tab0203 said:
I'm on my 6th or 7th playthrough and it's still a masterpiece. There is a new startup screen with the name of the engine: "Criware"
Interesting. Why would they suddenly mention the name of the engine? "Criware2" for Wii?

RE4 and Metroid Prime on Gamecube are the reason why I don't like plastic looking games (and HL2 compared to Far Cry and Doom3). Bump/normalmapping. It was nice in Rogue Squadron 2, because of the setting, but i prefer the realistic look of RE4 and the handcrafted scratches and bumps in the walls in Metroid Prime.

I think Criware is actually a video/audio playback engine/format, which they didn't need in the gamecube version since everything was rendered in realtime. Now that they have the cutscene videos from PS2 Separate Ways they have to use it (the Criware Logo appeared in the PS2 version as well iirc).

Sagitario

Lafazar said:
I think Criware is actually a video/audio playback engine/format, which they didn't need in the gamecube version since everything was rendered in realtime. Now that they have the cutscene videos from PS2 Separate Ways they have to use it (the Criware Logo appeared in the PS2 version as well iirc).

It was used in the GC version, but you saw it as:
161fs592232.jpg

The new logo the company is using in games that were developed with its tools is:
161fs593324.jpg

Criware is a company that provides middleware tools for videogames.

ADX: streamed audio format which allows for multiple audio streams, seamless looping and continuous playback (allowing two or more files to be crossfaded or played in sequence) with low, predictable CPU usage. The format uses the ADPCM framework.

Sofdec: full color streamed video format which includes multistreaming and seamless playback with a frame rate of up to 60 frames per second. It incorporates compressed ADX for its audio playback.

Tab0203

Lafazar said:
Oh.. that makes sense, I should have googled it...

Sagitario

Tab0203 said:
Oh.. that makes sense, I should have googled it...

Read what I posted... is not because they have cutscenes from the PS2 version and everything was realtime on the GC...

The GC version uses the Criware tools too [ADX and Sofdec], PS2 version uses them, RE4 Wii uses them... they just changed the logo for the presentation of the tools... that's all...

Tab0203

Farore said:
Read what I posted... is not because they have cutscenes from the PS2 version and everything was realtime on the GC...

The GC version uses the Criware tools too [ADX and Sofdec], PS2 version uses them, RE4 Wii uses them... they just changed the logo for the presentation of the tools... that's all...
I saw your post. Thanks for the research. :) I simply didn't want to post twice.

woxel1

Tab0203 said:
I'm on my 6th or 7th playthrough and it's still a masterpiece. There is a new startup screen with the name of the engine: "Criware"
Interesting. Why would they suddenly mention the name of the engine? "Criware2" for Wii?

Yeah, those are probably some of the best screens I've ever seen for RE4, even if they're off-screen and all. Good game, good art; itchy, tasty.

StranGER

holy crap, i finally finished 5 stars on all the merceneries.

wow, the mancannon upgraded is amazing fun!

well worth that last 5th star that took forever!!!

Jokeropia

I've played my 8th and 9th playthrough of this now (7 on GC, 2 Wii) and it only reinforced the masterpiece status of the game. Wiimote controls makes it even more awesome. (RE4: Headshot Edition indeed.)

Vexidus

Jokeropia said:
I've played my 8th and 9th playthrough of this now (7 on GC, 2 Wii) and it only reinforced the masterpiece status of the game. Wiimote controls makes it even more awesome. (RE4: Headshot Edition indeed.)

More like Knee Shot > Kick Edition! :D

Top Bottom