• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

Dunno if anyone else has this problem in PAL land but when I play the game in 576i the very bottom line of pixels on my screen flashes green constantly. 480i it isn't there, but I prefer to play in 576i for the resolution. It is rather annoying though.

Doesn't seem to be a way to fix it either dammit. This is the only game that does it. Must try another tv see what happens.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
donny2112 said:
The Green Catseye is in that puzzle behind the church. Look at the gravestones for the three sets of twins in the graveyard and light up those symbols. The Catseyes go into the Beerstein.

oh son of a bitch, guess what I sold right away. :(

MrPing1000 said:
Dunno if anyone else has this problem in PAL land but when I play the game in 576i the very bottom line of pixels on my screen flashes green constantly. 480i it isn't there, but I prefer to play in 576i for the resolution. It is rather annoying though.

Doesn't seem to be a way to fix it either dammit. This is the only game that does it. Must try another tv see what happens.

I just tested 576i mode now. I don't have the problem you described.

Must be your TV and Wii don't agree on something.

Xavien

MrPing1000 said:

Its just a little bit of under-scan, i would advise finding out how to get into the Service menu of the TV; and increase the Vertical Size of the picture just a little bit.

Xavien said:
Its just a little bit of under-scan, i would advise finding out how to get into the Service menu of the TV; and increase the Vertical Size of the picture just a little bit.

yeah I was fiddling with that last night. Messing with the geometry. Since we got our TV 2 years ago the damn left hand side has always been cut off slightly so I went about fixing that. It still pisses me off that I can't get it perfect in my eyes anyway. I'll probably try and cut it off by resizing then spend more time putting it back again when I'm done. Odd that its the only game that does it, o well.

Awesome game, I'm doing much better at finding all the set ins for the treasures than before. Just past the flying bug room of the castle, loots ahoy!

kottila

ElectricBlue187 said:
i hope you have more than one save :lol

WTF. I actually needed those things? How important are they? Can't really say I want to play all those chapters again. I have just sold every treasure I got my hand on, needed the money.

donny2112

catfish said:
guess what I sold right away. :(

Always examine items to see if they can be added to before selling them off. ;) It's not a huge deal. This way you can fill up the beerstein real early on your second play-through. :)

kottila said:
I actually needed those things? How important are they?

Any treasure you can sell, you don't "need." However, selling a fully combined treasure nets you a lot more money than selling its individual pieces off.

kottila

donny2112 said:
Always examine items to see if they can be added to before selling them off. ;) It's not a huge deal. This way you can fill up the beerstein real early on your second play-through. :)

Any treasure you can sell, you don't "need." However, selling a fully combined treasure nets you a lot more money than selling its individual pieces off.

costly lesson learned...

Just finished the main game on normal difficulty, and I have to say, I'm very sad that CAPCOM decided to make RE5 for PS3/XBOX360. There is no way in hell I'm going back to analog stick aiming. I really hope that the sales of the wiimake will justify CAPCOM making a new RE in RE4 style, but designed from the ground up for the Wii.

One minor issue though. RE4 made the same mistake of forcing you to aim with the stick when using the scope that was made in Twilight Princess. I really don't understand the decision; after using the wiimote to aim going back to the stick is very jarring. Hopefully it doesn't become a standard thing in Wii games.

Jon of the Wired said:
Just finished the main game on normal difficulty, and I have to say, I'm very sad that CAPCOM decided to make RE5 for PS3/XBOX360. There is no way in hell I'm going back to analog stick aiming. I really hope that the sales of the wiimake will justify CAPCOM making a new RE in RE4 style, but designed from the ground up for the Wii.

One minor issue though. RE4 made the same mistake of forcing you to aim with the stick when using the scope that was made in Twilight Princess. I really don't understand the decision; after using the wiimote to aim going back to the stick is very jarring. Hopefully it doesn't become a standard thing in Wii games.

think about what's different when you're using a scope. You're not seeing the whole screen so you don't know where to point the wiimote also with the analog stick it's much easier to move the target reticle off screen...using the wiimote for the rifle would not work, because you cannot see enough of the screen and you would be moving the scope around just to see around you instead of using the rifle like a rifle is used

I can't beleive this thread reached so many pages. It thought this game won't garner much attention. I guess GAF is nothing to use as a means of measure anyway.

ElectricBlue187 said:
think about what's different when you're using a scope. You're not seeing the whole screen so you don't know where to point the wiimote also with the analog stick it's much easier to move the target reticle off screen...using the wiimote for the rifle would not work, because you cannot see enough of the screen and you would be moving the scope around just to see around you instead of using the rifle like a rifle is used

This makes zero sense. It sounds like you're trying to say you can see better if you don't use the remote to aim. I promise you, aiming through the scope would work perfectly. Try Call of Duty 3. It works beautifully.

The Wii version's rifle is terrible, because in the Wii version, the analog stick moves your view much faster (which is great for every other weapon). Do yourself a favor and unplug the nunchuck, and use the Classic Controller or Gamecube controller--this will slow down the analog stick aiming to a much more usable speed.

Or, just don't buy the rifle. Aiming is so great, you can just use the handgun to snipe.

ElectricBlue187 said:

I don't buy it. The current scope behavior is a strict subset of the behavior of the other weapons, so there's no way wiimote aiming could actually be worse. That is, presuming that aiming with the scope was identical to aiming with every other weapon, the current scope behavior could be emulated simply by always pointing the wiimote at the center of the screen and moving the entire screen around to aim. You would never do that with any other weapon, so I don't know why you would want to do that when using the scope.

Dascu

Having finished the game today, I've noticed only one flaw:
There should've been a bad/comical ending where a Del Lago pops up at the ending and eats Ashley.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Dascu said:
Having finished the game today, I've noticed only one flaw:
There should've been a bad/comical ending where a Del Lago pops up at the ending and eats Ashley.

The flaw is Leon passing up some "overtime". I endure all that madness and he doesn't even want to crack off a piece of that barely-legal goodness? Where was my last ESRB-upsetting, button mashing RTE? Hmmm?

fernoca

What the hell? :lol
A friend of mine just bought this version (Wii of course).
He found an used copy at EB, with the discount and everything it ended in $24.06 plus he saw the box was in mint condition so he got it.

He cames over, so I can lend him an SD card with my save since he didn't wanted to finish the game again (he finished the GCN version like 10 times)...

Over here, he decides to remove the label of the price, which came over quite easily...

Then he opens it..

What the...?
Somone sold the Wii version, but with the content of the special edition PS2 version?!! (or did I missed something?)

(the extra disc was under the Wii disc)

Since he's not interested in those extras.. (Plus he saw my...glowing eyes..) :lol
He gave the extras to me! :D

Quite interesting anyway..
He paid less than most of us, and he got all that extra stuff...well, now I do. :lol

nice one!

same thing happened to me when I bought the GCN version, 2 months after its release in Europe. Bought it for 45€ and found the bonus disc that was supposed to come with the system + RE4 bundle inside.

Sold it few weeks later for 15€

disco

First time playing this game and i have to say, omg this is amazing!!! Not scary at all though, jumped maybe once? and i'm at chapter 2-2. still, what a great game, i cannot believe i didn't play it before this.

Vlad

discocaine said:
First time playing this game and i have to say, omg this is amazing!!! Not scary at all though, jumped maybe once? and i'm at chapter 2-2. still, what a great game, i cannot believe i didn't play it before this.

The game, for the most part, never gets scary in the "things jumping out at you" sense. Instead, it's more "tense", with really nasty looking bosses and situations.

I remember when I first encountered one of the chainsaw-wielding guys in the village on my first playthrough. I had blocked myself in the house with the shotgun (triggering said baddie), and while he was advancing on me, I ran out of ammo. Instead of turning and running, I figured I'd start reloading, and if he hit me, I had plenty of health, so I could just run away and reload later.

How little I knew...

After that, I was always on edge whenever I heard a chainsaw start up.

Bwahaha

I finally got myself a fully upgraded Handcannon. So fun. I never could get 5 stars with everyone on the Gamecube version. One thing I don't like about it is that the gun looks like its about to fall apart. The in-game weapon model looks like its rattling apart even when I hold it still.

cvxfreak

Finally ordered the PAL version.

Too bad Gameplay doesn't have it in stock at the moment. Should be here in the next week I hope.

Ok, Got to grip about something in the game.
That goddamn puzzle when you play as ashley. Ok, so maybe it's partly my fault for being bloody stupid but that part was not fun... Was stuck on that for far to long. Don't even want to admit how long. Always hated that kind of puzzle. But still! Why put something like that in a this kind of game! It's cruel damnit!

Other then that thing this game continues to impress me deeply. Love how you are always living on the edge when it comes to having enough ammo. :D

nightez

Banned
In the PS2 version, in the underground sewer stage where you're fighting those vicious wolves that can turn invisible. Is the cloaking effect the same as in the GC/Wii version?

oracrest

I just finished this version a few nights ago.

The Wii setup is a great excuse for another playthrough, not to mention that the controls felt MUCH more natural this time around. I didn't keep forgetting how to execute the quick turn around for example, which I have done without fail for every RE previously.

PuppetSlave said:
Ok, Got to grip about something in the game.
That goddamn puzzle when you play as ashley. Ok, so maybe it's partly my fault for being bloody stupid but that part was not fun... Was stuck on that for far to long. Don't even want to admit how long. Always hated that kind of puzzle. But still! Why put something like that in a this kind of game! It's cruel damnit!

Other then that thing this game continues to impress me deeply. Love how you are always living on the edge when it comes to having enough ammo. :D

you mean the puzzle pieces? yeah was kind of annoying but i just generally tried to put the pieces in the right areas and it came out alright at the end

i guess i've gotten used to them since many games use that same puzzle

taku

This is probably a stupid question. But I have never played RE4 before and I just got the game. Is there any place I can put my items because my inventory is full..

I'm sure I saw something but I just can't recall where (I just got the
punisher
so I have actually played it for more than an hour..)

Edit: Oh, also! First time playing this game, wow, it seems pretty darn great! Awesome gameplay and the remote works very well.

Snaku

Banned
taku said:
This is probably a stupid question. But I have never played RE4 before and I just got the game. Is there any place I can put my items because my inventory is full..

I'm sure I saw something but I just can't recall where (I just got the
punisher
so I have actually played it for more than an hour..)

Nope. If it can't fit, then you either have to upgrade your inventory size, or use/toss unneeded items.

taku

Snaku said:
Nope. If it can't fit, then you either have to upgrade your inventory size, or use/toss unneeded items.

Whhhhaat! No way. What if I want different kinds of weapons to switch with? Haha, you're pulling my leg right? :lol

Oh, maybe I can upgrade my inventory size even more? I only did it once..

I've got about 60k pesetas or more, what should I upgrade/buy? I have the handgun (upgraded ammo capacity and firepower to level 2) and the punisher. I also have the shotgun of course..

taku said:
Whhhhaat! No way. What if I want different kinds of weapons to switch with? Haha, you're pulling my leg right? :lol

I've got about 60k pesetas or more, what should I upgrade/buy? I have the handgun (upgraded ammo capacity and firepower to level 2) and the punisher. I also have the shotgun of course..

Buy
Bolt Action Rifle - fully upgrade
Striker
Blacktail
Broken Butterfly

that's all you need

taku

ElectricBlue187 said:
Buy
Bolt Action Rifle - fully upgrade
Striker
Blacktail
Broken Butterfly

that's all you need

I guess I need alot of money for that, also I might not be able to even buy that yet. But thanks, I'll buy what I can..!

Javaman

taku said:

You can upgrade the inventory size three times total. The XL attache case is large enough to hold one of each of the weapon types (ignoring some of the special ones) along with plenty of ammo and healing stuff.

Dascu

taku said:

Hmm, get rid of either the Handgun or the Punisher. You don't need two guns of the same type. A Rifle can be quite useful sometimes. You can ignore the TMP and sell its ammo you find for cash. A few grenades of all sorts can be useful when dealing with lots of enemies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Dascu said:
Hmm, get rid of either the Handgun or the Punisher. You don't need two guns of the same type. A Rifle can be quite useful sometimes. You can ignore the TMP and sell its ammo you find for cash. A few grenades of all sorts can be useful when dealing with lots of enemies.

Grenade whoring and using your pistol can get you quite far into the game. I noticed by chapter 4 and 5 I had so much shotty and sniper rifle ammo I had to use it constantly just to keep picking up all the new ammo cache.

mrkgoo

I didn't even know this was out until I saw it on the shelf. I shouldn't really buy it right now, but I couldn't resist. The controls were instantly intuitive to me - even the tilt analogue with wiimote to look. I can live with the scope. I just wish you could use the wiimote on the inventory.

kottila

mrkgoo said:
The controls were instantly intuitive to me - even the tilt analogue with wiimote to look.

The what now?

I'm having a ton of fun with the Mercenaries mode. That is, until the man with the chainsaw cuts of my head with 10 seconds to go.

Dascu said:

Disagree about the TMP. Love it. Just fire it in short bursts.

cvxfreak said:
Needs to be unlocked it seems. Talk about a useless modification.
Hmmmm i am not so sure i have completed the game in every mode apart from the main game on easy difficult, and i still can not access this trailer.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Finished normal mode, Assignment Ada and Mercenaries recently, and just about to finish Seperate Ways - loving it so much!

I never played the PS2 version through, so really digging SW. I like how you sometimes see Leon running about but never quite catch him :D

Had forgotten how much fun Mercs is. I just wish there was more to do with Krauser, Hunk and Wesker T_T

cvxfreak said:
Needs to be unlocked it seems. Talk about a useless modification.

I don't think it's there at all, actually. I've got everything unlocked and there's still no sign of it in the menu, so it appears that the trailer has simply been pulled from the EU release of RE4 Wii.

One of the few disappointments in an otherwise great package.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PuppetSlave said:
Disagree about the TMP. Love it. Just fire it in short bursts.

Me too. I've got a fully upgraded tmp (firepower wise only) and holy crap it destroys bosses, I absolutey dealt to trench coat guy with it. Very under-rated and fun to use.

2 questions about weapons,

the riot gun - worth it? Seems to get a bit more powerful.
the sniper - get the new one? semi auto is great but I never upgrade fire power on them, cause headshots or nothing is the go for me.

Also, blacktail? What's the deal there, I stuck with the red 9 and have it pretty much maxed out, it really deals damage and reloads quite quick, is the blacktail better?

Top Bottom