• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Wark

Rez said:
Hmm, I can see where you're coming from, but the reason I enjoy the Public Assembly and the chainsaw fights aren't the mechanics by themselves, it's the way the environments are designed around them. The Public Assembly is such a great playground to me, and the way the Axe-man keeps you moving around it (assuming you don't kill him quickly like I usually do :lol ) is just so much fun, for me. The same goes for luring the Chainsaw dude around the barrels in Shanty Town (although the battle with him is a lot more fun when you have a partner, or give Sheva a strong weapon like a rifle and set her to attack mode).

If all you're doing is shooting, turning around, running back, turning around again, and shooting, you're missing out.

I completely agree with you 100%.

As you said, I think half of the fun is luring the executioner or chainsaw guy to the barrels around and then shooting them. Also, it's really fun when you're playing with a friend on co-op because the chainsaw guy / executioner tends to run towards one of the players while the other player is either picking off enemies or helping the other player.

The highpoint of the demo for me is seeing how fast I can kill the executioner. My friend and I already have a perfect run set up to kill the executioner everytime in a minute or two after he breaks through the gate.

Davey Cakes

Well, that's where the fun comes from in Shanty Town, making a strategy to take down the chainsaw Majini using the barrels. And yeah, that's fun in co-op as well. In fact, what I enjoyed about co-op in Shanty Town in general was that I could instruct my partner (who was playing Chris) to only shoot his rifle when I needed the help. Using him as merely backup, but letting me try to take down pretty much every enemy on my own, which is what I did, was nice. It's like you can use co-op to make certain segments of the game more intense for yourself and then let your partner take a turn at designing the scenario.

I have no outstanding issues with Shanty Town, really. And it's fun both co-op and not.

Public Assembly is just too "busy." I don't mind the actual environment, I just think holding off enemies for an extended period of time, in general, is not that fun, even with a partner.

Maybe describing it as "garbage" was going too far, but overall, being overwhelmed by enemies like that is, well, underwhelming to me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and as an aside, as far as Shanty Town is concerned, it's important to remember that in the final game we'll have a shotgun, which will make taking down Chainsaw oh so much easier/quicker. The decision by Capcom to not give us a shotgun seems like it was a funny little tactic to make the lines at E3/TGS move quicker thanks to Chainy killing the player much easier without it. :lol

But yeah, fair enough Rash. I see where you're coming from, even though I disagree with bits and pieces of what you're saying. I just used your post as a jumping off point. ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Captain N said:
can you stick to any wall in the game or only select few?

also didnt umbrellas name pop up in dino crisis
If you mean the cover system, then it is only a situational thing (a button will come up on screen saying "cover" or something like that). Apparently it doesn't happen too often at the beginning of the game, but becomes a bit more prominent later on in the game. I'd imagine it's used when there are enemies on turrets, or with guns.

Nemesis556 said:
Are you a fan of the series as a whole?
Yes, and I'm not talking about contrived / clichéd complaints such "tank controls suck!" or something as equally vapid.

One of the many things that bugs me in Resident Evil 5 is that (at least to the point where I've gotten) there have been several occasions where the game had presented me a "new" gameplay element that felt completely out of place in a Resident Evil game, despite the fact the series became more action-oriented ever since 4. I've only finished the first two acts and played a little of the third one, but it wouldn't surprise me if (when keeping in mind that the final act is apparently all about
5's cover mechanic and shooting gun-toting zombies
) those bits were just the tip of the iceberg.

I'll see if I can write a more detailed post tomorrow, if anyone cares.

Daigoro

Wark said:
Okay, I made the Resident Evil 5 GAF Gamertag.

If you're interested in playing online co-op on the 360 with other GAF members, then add the Gamertag GAF RE5 to your friends list.
If you're interested in playing online co-op on the 360 with other GAF members, then add the Gamertag GAF RE5 to your friends list.

I believe I already added everyone that listed their Gametag in the OP and in the posts above.

you did it wrong.

all the other gaf GT's are written: NeoGAF - - -

now my list of gaf tags is asymmetrical. awesome Wesker avatar though. :lol

Wark

Daigoro said:
you did it wrong.

all the other gaf GT's are written: NeoGAF - - -

now my list of gaf tags is asymmetrical. awesome Wesker avatar though. :lol

Sorry, I was just mirroring the Street Fighter IV one. :lol

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KeeSomething

I'm always online. I always use my mic. Please play with me!

EDIT: Oh, like everyone else, I'm amazed with how much effort was put into this thread. Wonderful job!

Nizz

God damn! Talk about being lttp, but what a hell of an official thread! Very nice. Props to all involved. Impressive. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tricky | Shadow, a yet unapproved member of Aussie-GAF (and one hell of a good co-op partner in RE5), approves of this thread. :D

Wark

Duck Amuck said:
I try my hardest to kill the executioner beyond the gate, but I do my best going at it without stepping a foot past it.

However, the chainsaw guy is fun as HELL blowing up with the barrels.

I have never tried that before! I guess I'm gonna try that next time I play the demo.

Rez said:
Oh and as an aside, as far as Shanty Town is concerned, it's important to remember that in the final game we'll have a shotgun, which will make taking down Chainsaw oh so much easier/quicker. The decision by Capcom to not give us a shotgun seems like it was a funny little tactic to make the lines at E3/TGS move quicker thanks to Chainy killing the player much easier without it. :lol

But yeah, fair enough Rash. I see where you're coming from, even though I disagree with bits and pieces of what you're saying. I just used your post as a jumping off point. ;)

Awww, the sniper rifle is the reason I can kill him so easily :( I draw him away from the steps, then backtrack to them, set Sheva to attack and keep shooting him with the rifle. Sheva takes out all the little guys herself and one head shot stuns chainsaw guy so he doesn't even get near me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Awww, the sniper rifle is the reason I can kill him so easily :( I draw him away from the steps, then backtrack to them, set Sheva to attack and keep shooting him with the rifle. Sheva takes out all the little guys herself and one head shot stuns chainsaw guy so he doesn't even get near me.
Haha, well then use a rifle as well as a shotgun in the final game. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
USD said:
That last scene totally looks like a QTE, just with the button presses removed.
no doubt.

RE4 is one of the few game that did QTEs right, hopefully RE5's are equally as awesome.

big_z

any idea if you can shoot and kill the other player in co-op or if there's at least an option to allow friendly fire? this is vital for maximum enjoyment.

Wark

big_z said:
any idea if you can shoot and kill the other player in co-op or if there's at least an option to allow friendly fire? this is vital for maximum enjoyment.

I heard they added a hit/stun animation when the character is accidentally shot by their partner, but it doesn't affect the player's health. I hope there's an option to turn that off because I can see that getting annoying really fast.

I could, however, be absolutely wrong with that whole bit of information though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wark said:
I heard they added a hit/stun animation when the character is accidentally shot by their partner, but it doesn't affect the player's health. I hope there's an option to turn that off because I can see that getting annoying really fast.

I could, however, be absolutely wrong with that whole bit of information though.
I think this is true, although I haven't actually seen any footage of it happening.

Apparently actual friendly fire (that takes damage), is an option as well.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
LaneDS said:
I think that's a pretty good guess. But he's "died" before, so who knows what that means in terms of future appearances.
I'm a huge Wesker fan so part of me doesn't want him to die but then another part of me says there's not really much to add to his backstory, well they could but I don't want them to because I love his mysterious personality. So I'm just going to wait and see what they do with his character, Wesker is the only reason why I'm hyped for this game.

Daigoro

ilanna said:
I'm a huge Wesker fan so part of me doesn't want him to die but then another part of me says there's not really much to add to his backstory, well they could but I don't want them to because I love his mysterious personality. So I'm just going to wait and see what they do with his character, Wesker is the only reason why I'm hyped for this game.

all i hear in my head is Weskers theme in RE4 mercenaries now. what was that from PN03?

i want that on my ipod.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I9vxzVjEZg

godamn that is the jam.

Blueblur1

I'm concerned about two parts of the RE story.

1). After RE2 was released Capcom has gone back and said that Raccoon City was quarantined after the T-Virus broke out even though Leon and Claire were able to stroll into town in RE2's opening cinema. Have they ever given a new explanation for the RE2 protagonists' relative easy arrival?

2). The Gametrailers RE retrospective feature suggests that according to Capcom the Claire A/Leon B playthrough of RE2 is the official one. But doesn't Wesker's Report I contradict that as it references events from Leon A?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully we'll get some decent multiplatform comparisons going before this is released. The friend who will join me in playing through the game in CO-OP wants to play the PS3 version (for a number of reasons), but I prefer the 360 version (based on the demo, where the framerate was smoother).

I suppose what I want to know is whether or not anyone has played the final PS3 code. If so, how does the framerate hold up? Does it drop as often as the demo or is it fairly stable?

Daigoro

anyone know what the downloadable "wallpapers" from XBL are? if its in the OP i mustve missed it.

i guess its not a theme, right? so im confused about the difference between themes and wallpapers for 360. can someone clarify?

has onyone purchased this?

LaneDS

Totally caved in and ordered the Red RE5 360 bundle. Been using my roommate's 360 for too long and that deal is enough for me to bite. And the console looks pretty sick I think (usually I don't dig LE colored consoles too).

Going to be doing co-op over Live... in the same room. Can't wait.

Edit: Not sure if that's news that the bundle is now up on Gamestop.com, but yeah, it is for any interested.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LaneDS said:
Totally caved in and ordered the Red RE5 360 bundle. Been using my roommate's 360 for too long and that deal is enough for me to bite. And the console looks pretty sick I think (usually I don't dig LE colored consoles too).

Going to be doing co-op over Live... in the same room. Can't wait.

Edit: Not sure if that's news that the bundle is now up on Gamestop.com, but yeah, it is for any interested.
You guys should just get an ethernet cable and do the whole system link thing.

When are you guys going to put up Wesker's Report II and Wesker's Extra Report. I've never seen those ones before, and I didn't even know they existed before I read someone mention them in one of the other Resident Evil threads.

Nemesis_

Blueblur1 said:
2). The Gametrailers RE retrospective feature suggests that according to Capcom the Claire A/Leon B playthrough of RE2 is the official one. But doesn't Wesker's Report I contradict that as it references events from Leon A?
ClaireA is the only one where Sherry gets infected, which is what validates the events as canon in Weskers Report, as far as I know.

Facism

dark10x said:
Hopefully we'll get some decent multiplatform comparisons going before this is released. The friend who will join me in playing through the game in CO-OP wants to play the PS3 version (for a number of reasons), but I prefer the 360 version (based on the demo, where the framerate was smoother).

I suppose what I want to know is whether or not anyone has played the final PS3 code. If so, how does the framerate hold up? Does it drop as often as the demo or is it fairly stable?

I asked earlier, but no reply yet. There was a review from a german multiplat mag that said the framerate problems that were in the demo persisted in the full game. Unclear whether they meant both single player and splitscreen. A purchase is pretty much contingent on whether splitscreen is any better than the shyte the demo presented, now that my 360 won't read any bloody discs anymore -_-

Synless

Facism said:
I asked earlier, but no reply yet. There was a review from a german multiplat mag that said the framerate problems that were in the demo persisted in the full game. Unclear whether they meant both single player and splitscreen. A purchase is pretty much contingent on whether splitscreen is any better than the shyte the demo presented, now that my 360 won't read any bloody discs anymore -_-
That german mag never said the framerate from the demo was still I'm the game, in fact when I saw it posted by another gaffer it didn't even specifically say framerate it said the ps3 version had some glitches.....I'll hold off passing judgment until the game is in my hands.

Facism

Synless said:
That german mag never said the framerate from the demo was still I'm the game, in fact when I saw it posted by another gaffer it didn't even specifically say framerate it said the ps3 version had some glitches.....I'll hold off passing judgment until the game is in my hands.

Is that so? Guess we're going to need to have someone who has actually played the final game to chime in, then.

Blueblur1

Nemesis556 said:
ClaireA is the only one where Sherry gets infected, which is what validates the events as canon in Weskers Report, as far as I know.
So I have it backwards in my memory? I think I'm going to replay RE2 to find out.

Top Bottom