• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

neo2046 said:

holyshIWANTITSOBAD

I just hope that aside from the what should be amazing
mercenaries mode
, that there is reason to play through the game multiple times-- apart from it being fucking awesome, mind you. I just miss the old RE days when you had multiple scenarios, even RE1 did that and RE2 took it to the next level entirely.

The game is going to be excellent. I have zero doubts about that. I just hope it has great replay incentive like the older ones did. I don't know how many times I played through Resident Evil 1; with Chris on different difficulties, with Jill on different difficulties, and then the same again on the Director's Cut, etc. And RE2, my favorite in the series not just because of its superior atmosphere and IMO the coolest story in the series (aside from CV) but the scenario A & B for both characters is, to me, one of the greatest surprises ever.

I won't be sickly disappointed in RE5 if there's only one purely straightforward way to get through the game, but I hope that RE6 brings back the alternating scenarios, or at least multiple characters. I think RE5 should have included a Chris scenario, a Sheva scenario, a Barry Burton scenario (for the lulz) and the co-op mode. But, I think co-op is going to be fantastic so there's not a whole lot to complain about.

Just sayin'. One of my favorite things about the RE series is the different ways to play through the same game, and how different they can be. I hope they bring this back in the future. But for now I'll enjoy kicking Wesker's stupid ass.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amazingly informative OP, can't wait for this game!

Got this in not too long ago:

IMG_5708.jpg

Cannot freakin' wait fir this one.

VaLiancY said:
I hope it isn't as annoying as the tandem briefcase in Gears 2. I pray or else my bromance with my coop partner will fail like it did in Gears 2.

I seriously doubt it, this scenario seems crafted in order to create a striking mood of horror, panic, and tension. That part in Gears 2 wasn't really IMO.

Alec

Spoilers are running rampant around the internets. Be careful, everyone!

Hint: They're awesome. =)

Resident Evil indeed!

Hint: They're awesome.

Thank you. You know, that right there is enough to keep me from looking at spoilers. The ONLY reason I ever look at spoilers is so that I can see whether or not the story or whatever goes in the direction I want it to so that I'm not as disappointed just in case things go the other way (like in RE4, absolutely hated the plot), but you saying that the spoilers are awesome will keep me from wanting to read them to sort of ensure myself that it won't be a letdown :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
New spoiler-free preview from 1up. Here's some quotes.

Sheva's Your Pal: She's like Yorda from Ico, but gutsier, more helpful, and wields a Magnum. She picks items up if you tell her to, and also hands you items she recognizes you'll need (like ammo for whatever weapon you're carrying). She's not totally user-controllable, but she's handy in a firefight, makes a useful mule, and does a good job staying alive. Her pathfinding is also quite adept, as she rarely, if ever, gets stuck on anything.

Turrets Are Fun: Whether you're planted in a Jeep mowing down motocross bike-riding, Las Plagas-infected bad boys or in some explosive-filled shipyard, it's always satisfying to hop on a turret with unlimited ammo and cut enemies in half. Make sure you don't overheat your gun, though.

Buyer's Remorse: If you don't have room to pick up a weapon you find during your travels, don't worry -- it'll be available in the shop for purchase at the end of the level. Since Chris and Sheva both have limited inventory space, you may be tempted to pick up every gun you find, but it's probably best to upgrade a few core weapons' reload speed, attack power, and ammo capacity to max, before you spend money upgrading the other two dozen armaments you find along the way. Go for balance: A pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun.

The Visuals Are Some Spicy Meatball: While the overall visual quality of RE5 is astounding, there are a few levels which are truly a sight to behold, and easily look as good as anything in Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4. Check out the detail in Chris Redfield's kevlar armor textures, and how the self-shadowing rolls over his physique. Even the survival knife strapped to his back independently animates depending on his motion.

Hell Yeah, Secrets!: RE5 has some unlockables that fans of the series will be very happy to see. This probably goes without saying, but it's obvious that the dev team covered all their bases when it came to the game's bonus features. Or most of them, at least. We still haven't found Akuma.

Jun Takeuchi Is No Liar: When RE5's producer assured us that this game had learned from RE4's mistakes, and wouldn't go on and on and on just for the sake of proving that Capcom could make a long Resident Evil game, well, he was being honest. RE5 is not a short game, especially when compared to earlier entries in the series. But it's a more concise experience than RE4's unnecessarily lengthy 30-hour gunfest (remember the castles? Yeah you do).

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3173014&p=4

--

Also, Gametrailers has a new two-part interview with Takeuchi.
Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46048.html
Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46044.html

Snaku

Banned
RE5 is not a short game, especially when compared to earlier entries in the series. But it's a more concise experience than RE4's unnecessarily lengthy 30-hour gunfest (remember the castles? Yeah you do).

Wut? I cleared RE4 in under 19 hours on my first run.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KeeSomething said:
Oh! YES! YES! YES!

Returning enemy spoiler:
Classic zombies return in RE5!
I clicked on a link, saw a tiny cropped blurry scan from a Swedish (?) magazine, shit my pants, and closed the link.

No more clicking random links for me. :lol

Snaku said:
Wut? I cleared RE4 in under 19 hours on my first run.
Same here. It really annoys me when reviewers stay stupid things like this. Especially since I read one review where the reviewer was praising RE5 for ditching the horror elements (then he listed is as a con later in his review).

I absolutely hate reading game reviews when the reviewers are retarded.

Wark

Rez said:
I clicked on a link, saw a tiny cropped blurry scan from a Swedish (?) magazine, shit my pants, and closed the link.

No more clicking random links for me. :lol

Yesterday I went click-happy on a website providing RE5 info and I stumbled upon that picture as well as a few other spoilers, but none of them were really really huge spoilers -- I guess. I was both happy about the spoilers but frustrated because I wish I could just wait for the game to come out. :lol I won't mention the spoilers because anybody can find them if they look hard enough.

Nemesis_

I hope that these reviewers talking about these "awesome unlockables" aren't just talking about
Mercs Mode
, costumes and weapons. That's cool and all, but it's by no way the "best unlockables yet" >_>

KeeSomething said:
Oh! YES! YES! YES!

Returning enemy spoiler:
Classic zombies return in RE5!
I still haven't understood why this is such a big deal for anyone...I mean, it's just enemies. You shoot them, they're dead. :)

Prime Blue said:
I still haven't understood why this is such a big deal for anyone...I mean, it's just enemies. You shoot them, they're dead. :)
Because after RE4, we never through we'd see them again in the series.

Wark

KeeSomething said:

Pretty much.

EDIT: What made me happy with that particular spoiler is
that the T-virus is reintroducing itself in the game series' story.

KeeSomething said:
But...but...DEGENERATION. I know, it's not actual gameplay, but still: shoot them, they're dead. I guess I just don't care that much about what types of enemies appear.

Get To The Point Already: The research notes and journals are pretty long-winded, but you should read them for the backstory nonetheless. RE5 does a lot to put the vast, labyrinthine Resident Evil plot in perspective and context.

hellyeah_.jpg

Dave1988

Just a heads up. There are some REALLY SERIOUS spoilers for RE5 on GFAQs.

I shat my pants when I read that:

Nemesis makes a return!

HELLZ YEAH!

Dave1988 said:

Nemesis makes a return!

HELLZ YEAH!

Okay I DID just highlight that, and while I'm no source of RE5 knowledge as I know as much as any of us, I seriously... seriously doubt that spoiler is true.

Wark

Dave1988 said:

Nemesis makes a return!

HELLZ YEAH!

Yep. This is the biggest spoiler that I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday. However, I noticed that
the picture of Nemesis is some sort of mutated version of him and it doesn't look too much like I remembered him looking at the end of RE3. It makes me wonder if his base form will be in the game.

No more clicking links on random websites for me. :lol

VaLiancY

Wark said:
Yep. This is the biggest spoiler that I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday. However, I noticed that
the picture of Nemesis is some sort of mutated version of him and it doesn't look too much like I remembered him looking at the end of RE3. It makes me wonder if his base form will be in the game.

No more clicking links on random websites for me. :lol

Whoa, I jizzed my pants. I'm out of this thread to clean up. :lol

That made my fucking day btw and great job on the preview, Milky.

I don't think you guys should read too much into
Nemesis
being in the game. I went looking for sources for the information and stuff and it seemed really sketchy to me. Most of that info was Babelfished, there's no telling.

rehorror.com said:
Some posts from a Chinese blog allegedly revealing the plot of the game are circulating around the net. However all these posts are actually the blogger's own theories and compilation of info obtained from reviews, previews and interviews already posted.

USD

People always whine about Type D controls, but Type D is still the best in the game. Being able to rotate your viewpoint is useful, but the ability to strafe trumps that in my opinion. Just the simple things, like being able to take a few steps to the side to insure I'm getting maximum effect from the shotgun, or to better position myself quickly and without having to completely yield my position make me appreciate the ability to strafe that much more.

Type A and C have a massive flaw. Since the melee button is the same as the shoot button, you can't shoot a point blank enemy if the melee prompt is on the screen. This is a critical technique for high-level play for quickly taking down bosses (my typical strategy for bosses is to down them, pump them full of shots, then melee just before they recover).

Rez said:
New spoiler-free preview from 1up. Here's some quotes.

Sheva's Your Pal: She's like Yorda from Ico, but gutsier, more helpful, and wields a Magnum. She picks items up if you tell her to, and also hands you items she recognizes you'll need (like ammo for whatever weapon you're carrying).

Is that stuff that wasn't present in the demo? Cause she never did any of that for me unless I opened the menu and took the ammo myself. She would run in front of me to pick up all the ammo including stuff for guns she didn't have, and then never gave it to me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rainking187 said:
Is that stuff that wasn't present in the demo? Cause she never did any of that for me unless I opened the menu and took the ammo myself. She would run in front of me to pick up all the ammo including stuff for guns she didn't have, and then never gave it to me.
She did do this during the demo.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
rainking187 said:

Yeah, if you had a rifle/shotgun, she would give you that ammo, maybe only if you were low, I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Metroidvania said:
Yeah, if you had a rifle/shotgun, she would give you that ammo, maybe only if you were low, I'm not sure.
She would also give you her remaining handgun ammo if you ran out.

On another note, people are really going nuts over every single piece of pivotal information emerging - it's time for that game to be released already.

USD

Prime Blue said:
On another note, people are really going nuts over every single piece of pivotal information emerging - it's time for that game to be released already.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason it hasn't been released yet is to put a bit of space between this game and Street Fighter IV.

I'm very happy to hear that there will be lengthy papers to read. Hopefully we'll get some journals that are as creepy and well written as the ones in RE and RE: CV.

Prime Blue said:
But...but...DEGENERATION. I know, it's not actual gameplay, but still: shoot them, they're dead. I guess I just don't care that much about what types of enemies appear.
Is Degeneration even canon? Either way, I never saw it, and don't plan on it either. I looks worse than the live action movies. With that said, the first RE movie wasn't that bad.

Dave1988 said:

Nemesis makes a return!

HELLZ YEAH!
Yeah, I read that too and saw the picture,
but it's mutated and looks more like William Birkin in his final form than Nemesis.
Still really cool.

striKeVillain! said:
So have we heard anything on length? Longer or shorter than RE4?
Shorter.

KeeSomething said:
Is Degeneration even canon? Either way, I never saw it, and don't plan on it either. I looks worse than the live action movies. With that said, the first RE movie wasn't that bad.

Yep the GT interview today even mentions it. Degeneration is freaking awesome, it's what I always wanted in a RE movie. It was like a giant cutscene and had all the qualities that fans love in the Resident Evil series (and I am serious).

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yep the GT interview today even mentions it. Degeneration is freaking awesome, it's what I always wanted in a RE movie. It was like a giant cutscene and had all the qualities that fans love in the Resident Evil series (and I am serious).
Hmm.. I should give it a rent... someday in the distant future.

By the way, Mano: Hands of Fate is the worst movie ever made.

Top Bottom