• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

KeeSomething said:
I'm very happy to hear that there will be lengthy papers to read. Hopefully we'll get some journals that are as creepy and well written as the ones in RE and RE: CV.
Same here, jumped a little when I read that comment.

KeeSomething said:
Is Degeneration even canon? Either way, I never saw it, and don't plan on it either. I looks worse than the live action movies. With that said, the first RE movie wasn't that bad.
Yup, it is.
I'll try to help you overcome your inhibitions a little. I enjoyed the first of the live-action movies and think the others were absolutely horrible. And I'd still place DEGENERATION above the first. If you'd like to see Claire in action again and don't mind the occasional cheesiness, you should give it a try.

Blueblur1

USD said:
People always whine about Type D controls, but Type D is still the best in the game. Being able to rotate your viewpoint is useful, but the ability to strafe trumps that in my opinion. Just the simple things, like being able to take a few steps to the side to insure I'm getting maximum effect from the shotgun, or to better position myself quickly and without having to completely yield my position make me appreciate the ability to strafe that much more.

Type A and C have a massive flaw. Since the melee button is the same as the shoot button, you can't shoot a point blank enemy if the melee prompt is on the screen. This is a critical technique for high-level play for quickly taking down bosses (my typical strategy for bosses is to down them, pump them full of shots, then melee just before they recover).
My problem with Type D is that whenever you let go of the aiming button (I believe its Left Trigger on 360) the camera is still looking at where you aimed. For example, if you were aiming high above the camera will remain looking high above after you've stopped aiming. This means you constantly have to baby sit the camera with the Right Stick (manually aiming it back to the direction where Chris or Sheva is facing).

I prefer Type B because every time you let go of Left Trigger the camera resets and the Knife is still mapped to Left Bumper. The camera also resets after you let go of the Right Stick if you were using it to move the camera.

And what the Hell is up with Milky spoiling the presence of
Lickers
? I'm trying to avoid shit like that and he just fucking posts it in that preview. Damn, I am pissed.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
You've never seen a Sean Penn film.

Manos is charming in its own regional horror schlock way.

In fact my friend made a soundtrack for it, and EGGAHH, and Girl in Gold Boots. MST3K is a gateway to great schlock.

http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2007/07/liner-notes-for-hkcfns-manos-eegah-and.html
Yikes... If there is a film worse than Manos, then I'll have to stay far away from it.

Prime Blue said:
I'll try to help you overcome your inhibitions a little. I enjoyed the first of the live-action movies and think the others were absolutely horrible. And I'd still place DEGENERATION above the first. If you'd like to see Claire in action again and don't mind the occasional cheesiness, you should give it a try.
If I could sit down all three RE movies in theaters without walking out (I almost walked out of Exctintion; even though it was slightly more enjoyable then the second; Nemesis turns good?), I'll most likely be able to sit through Degeneration. I'll give it a shot, mostly because I love RE2 so much (and that game is full of cheese--the Ada and Leon relationship is pure cheese).

Christopher

Type A is the best control fools.

Maybe after playing some KillZone 2 I'll be use to D, but A was clearly the best reminded me of RE4's controls...and there was nothing wrong with that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NO, TYPE C!!

(it's hilarious that there are defenders for all four of the control schemes, whatever works, I guess :D )

mittelos

I've been playing the demo almost always with scheme D, and I keep going back between "fast" and "fastest"- they both feel pretty good, but I feel a tad bit more accurate with "fast". I think I'm going to give another go at scheme B next time I play just to be sure I'm not missing out on a better scheme- gonna be hard to knock D off though. I don't like aiming with the left analog if given a choice, so A and C are out.

Some of these spoilers aren't true, guys. Just to warn you.

Just finished the game - took me just over ten hours. I dawdled through the early sections finding all the treasures etc. but it gets seriously intense towards the end, so I ended up running away when I could rather than finishing off everyone in each area and then mopping up anything left.

End is epic with a capital EP. And then it gave me a completion percentage of 25%. Twenty five percent. Ouch. I've got a lot more playing to do yet!:D

I'm still deciding about controls, I like A and B, because it fits better with my playstyle, I don't use strafing that much or nothing, but control C and strafing looks pretty useful,so....I don't know.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hero of Canton said:

Just finished the game - took me just over ten hours. I dawdled through the early sections finding all the treasures etc. but it gets seriously intense towards the end, so I ended up running away when I could rather than finishing off everyone in each area and then mopping up anything left.

End is epic with a capital EP. And then it gave me a completion percentage of 25%. Twenty five percent. Ouch. I've got a lot more playing to do yet!:D
Awesome.

As a bit of a general question, how much have Capcom shown off of the second half of the game in trailers? Is there a lot of things later in the campaign that haven't been shown to the public yet?

Rez said:
Awesome.

As a bit of a general question, how much have Capcom shown off of the second half of the game in trailers? Is there a lot of things later in the campaign that haven't been shown to the public yet?

Yep. I was surprised when I saw the trailers, thinking they'd given a lot away, but there's very little of the last three chapters, barring some glimpses of the cutscenes.

Wark

Hero of Canton said:
Yep. I was surprised when I saw the trailers, thinking they'd given a lot away, but there's very little of the last three chapters, barring some glimpses of the cutscenes.

Hearing this just makes me wanna play the game more. We got two weeks to go and six more days until I go into turbo blackout mode because of the Japanese release.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hero of Canton said:
Good to hear. :)

Wark

Rez said:
NO, TYPE C!!

(it's hilarious that there are defenders for all four of the control schemes, whatever works, I guess :D )

I personally enjoy playing the game with the type C controls with the aiming set to fastest because it prevents the Gears of War and Dead Space-esque feeling that the type D setting was shooting for. I feel that the type C controls provide better maneuverability because of the strafing -- which I find is helpful against enemies like the chainsaw guy and executioner. Moreover, whenever I am mashing the X button to knife enemies, an occasional enemy will become stunned from the knife attacks and Chris/Sheva will automatically do their special punch/kick attack much faster than the type D controls would offer.

Rez said:
Good to hear. :)

Yeah, it will be neat to see which of the spoilers are fake or not, ironically the spoilers are creating a bigger mystery than if not reported.

It's nice as opposed to the jackass who summed up all of MGS4 in five lines and then posted it in hundreds of threads.

xfactor

Banned
KeeSomething said:
Is Degeneration even canon? Either way, I never saw it, and don't plan on it either. I looks worse than the live action movies. With that said, the first RE movie wasn't that bad.

you kidding me? Most agreed that the CG movie is much better than all the RE movies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hero of Canton said:

hell yeah

Rpgmonkey

KeeSomething said:
Oh! YES! YES! YES!

Returning enemy spoiler:
Classic zombies return in RE5!

I've went on media blackout unintentionally, but I come back to this.

Wow at some of the stuff I recently heard of. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173014

Sounds sweet.

"The Visuals Are Some Spicy Meatball: While the overall visual quality of RE5 is astounding, there are a few levels which are truly a sight to behold, and easily look as good as anything in Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4. Check out the detail in Chris Redfield's kevlar armor textures, and how the self-shadowing rolls over his physique. Even the survival knife strapped to his back independently animates depending on his motion.

"Hell Yeah, Secrets!: RE5 has some unlockables that fans of the series will be very happy to see. This probably goes without saying, but it's obvious that the dev team covered all their bases when it came to the game's bonus features. Or most of them, at least. We still haven't found Akuma.

Jun Takeuchi Is No Liar: When RE5's producer assured us that this game had learned from RE4's mistakes, and wouldn't go on and on and on just for the sake of proving that Capcom could make a long Resident Evil game, well, he was being honest. RE5 is not a short game, especially when compared to earlier entries in the series. But it's a more concise experience than RE4's unnecessarily lengthy 30-hour gunfest (remember the castles? Yeah you do). "

IMO the Resident Evil movies rank like this:

Extinction > Degeneration > Apocalypse > Resident Evil

I really liked Extinction. I thought it was by far the best of the bunch and was definitely the most well-shot and had better writing (compared to the other ones). Also better action scenes and the final third of the film is the closest a live-action RE movie has gotten to capturing the feel of the games. Also no Michelle Rodriguez "took a chunk clean out of me!" was a bonus too.

~Kinggi~ said:
Jun Takeuchi Is No Liar: When RE5's producer assured us that this game had learned from RE4's mistakes, and wouldn't go on and on and on just for the sake of proving that Capcom could make a long Resident Evil game, well, he was being honest. RE5 is not a short game, especially when compared to earlier entries in the series. But it's a more concise experience than RE4's unnecessarily lengthy 30-hour gunfest (remember the castles? Yeah you do). "

What a dumb fucking thing to say.

I personally thought RE4 had a lot of unnecessary junk in it, including all the castle bullshit and Salazar was just a ridiculous character, even by RE standards, little bastard was a joke but at least provided some humorous moments.

RE4... I love the game from a gameplay perspective (which, it's a videogame so there you go) but I really, really hated the story with a passion. It was so bad that despite my love for the gameplay and even most of the locations aside from the castle, I felt incredibly disappointed when it ended. Felt like I just beat a sort-of-but-not-really-RE sequel which made no sense. Thank god it was a great game otherwise.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm noticing the CE for the PS3 is going the way of SFIV. Some retailers aren't taking preorders for it while I see the 360 version all over.

USD

Blueblur1 said:
My problem with Type D is that whenever you let go of the aiming button (I believe its Left Trigger on 360) the camera is still looking at where you aimed. For example, if you were aiming high above the camera will remain looking high above after you've stopped aiming. This means you constantly have to baby sit the camera with the Right Stick (manually aiming it back to the direction where Chris or Sheva is facing).

I prefer Type B because every time you let go of Left Trigger the camera resets and the Knife is still mapped to Left Bumper. The camera also resets after you let go of the Right Stick if you were using it to move the camera.

And what the Hell is up with Milky spoiling the presence of
Lickers
? I'm trying to avoid shit like that and he just fucking posts it in that preview. Damn, I am pissed.
The camera in Type D does shift back on its own once you start running, and I never found it to be too much of a problem, but Type B is better in that regard. Type B is also better than all the others with regards to using the right stick for quick aiming. With B you can shift the camera using the right stick then bring up your weapon to quick aim in that same direction (you can do this with C and D, but only when looking up and down, not horizontally or diagonally). While you can do also do this with Type A, in Type B there's no disjointed feeling from the action as you use the same stick to change your viewpoint as for aiming.

Because of the whole shoot/melee thing, the only viable control scheme for me is Type B, but my entire play style revolves around the ability to strafe, so that's a no-go. I'm sure I could adjust back to the old-style RE movement, if I felt like it.

USD said:
People always whine about Type D controls, but Type D is still the best in the game. Being able to rotate your viewpoint is useful, but the ability to strafe trumps that in my opinion. Just the simple things, like being able to take a few steps to the side to insure I'm getting maximum effect from the shotgun, or to better position myself quickly and without having to completely yield my position make me appreciate the ability to strafe that much more.

Type A and C have a massive flaw. Since the melee button is the same as the shoot button, you can't shoot a point blank enemy if the melee prompt is on the screen. This is a critical technique for high-level play for quickly taking down bosses (my typical strategy for bosses is to down them, pump them full of shots, then melee just before they recover).

Type D, represent!!

xfactor

Banned
chris01_1024_768.jpg

I really like Chris' shoes here. :D

Christopher

brandonh83 said:
I personally thought RE4 had a lot of unnecessary junk in it, including all the castle bullshit and Salazar was just a ridiculous character, even by RE standards, little bastard was a joke but at least provided some humorous moments.

RE4... I love the game from a gameplay perspective (which, it's a videogame so there you go) but I really, really hated the story with a passion. It was so bad that despite my love for the gameplay and even most of the locations aside from the castle, I felt incredibly disappointed when it ended. Felt like I just beat a sort-of-but-not-really-RE sequel which made no sense. Thank god it was a great game otherwise.

wow...what a shitty opinion on the story, castle, and Salazar.

Salazar was pretty interesting, and something different seen in the Resident Evil world. Sick, and pretty twiste with that dry sense of humor...plus he filled in the gaps of silence without story going on.

USD

VaLiancY said:
Type Defense Force is strong in this thread. :lol
Type D has gotten way too much hate on GAF, with many people going for Type A simply because it's the same control scheme as RE4. But D boosts major improvements with right stick aiming (the primary aiming stick for shooting in most games), strafing (something I quickly came to appreciate and love), and separate shooting and action buttons (critical for quickly finishing bosses). It has its flaws (as do all the control schemes), but adding all the factors together, and it's still the best control scheme.

VaLiancY

USD said:
Type D has gotten why too much hate on GAF, with many people going for Type A simply because it's the same control scheme as RE4. But D boosts major improvements with right stick aiming (the primary aiming stick for shooting in most games), strafing (something I quickly came to appreciate and love), and separate shooting and action buttons (critical for quickly finishing bosses). It has its flaws (as do all the control schemes), but adding all the factors together, and it's still the best control scheme.

Oh I'm just giving shit, I use to use Type D but I switched to Type A. I'm fine with both configurations, it's just a matter of preference and pet peeves in the end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
USD said:
Type D has gotten why too much hate on GAF, with many people going for Type A simply because it's the same control scheme as RE4. But D boosts major improvements with right stick aiming (the primary aiming stick for shooting in most games), strafing (something I quickly came to appreciate and love), and separate shooting and action buttons (critical for quickly finishing bosses). It has its flaws (as do all the control schemes), but adding all the factors together, and it's still the best control scheme.
I just can not get past leaving my left thumb inactive when aiming using Type D controls. Having melee attacks and firing on the same button isn't as big a deal to me. They're all usable, but I prefer aiming with the left stick, makes the whole not moving while shooting thing feel far more natural.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I love type-d. So much better than type A. Type D feels more natural since im used to aiming with the right stick anyway. Plus you can strafe. Makes it so much better for navigating corners.

USD

VaLiancY said:
Oh I'm just giving shit, I use to use Type D but I switched to Type A. I'm fine with both configurations, it's just a matter of preference and pet peeves in the end.
The stick you prefer for aiming I take to be a preference, but the separate shooting and melee buttons fundamentally affect play style. There are some maneuvers that flat out aren't possible with Type A or Type C controls. Downing the axecutioner gives you an opportunity for some point blank shotgun blasts, but if you're within melee range with A or C, that's not an option.

Strafing is another big thing. Sure you can get by with traditional RE4 movement, but if you're not satisfied with your position, your only real option is to either back up and/or run away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Amuck said:
Strafe sucks because it's so slow. I don't see the use. If you could run while strafing, sure
It's good for dodging moves like the Executioner's downward swing move. You can get quite a few good shotgun blasts in if you sidestep a tad as he starts his animation.

USD

Duck Amuck said:
I think type D's controls are absolutely unnatural. Having to hold down LT/L2 in order to aim and RT/R2 to shoot sucks ass. I like type A and C not only because I'm used to them, but also because I can essentially aim and shoot with one hand with my left hand moving the cursor. It makes for far more relaxing play to me. Type B and D use complete third person shooter controls and I don't think those controls work well with RE5 given you can't move and shoot, among other things.

I have used strafe on type C and I have not found it to be useful in the demo in the least.

How is it critical for different aiming and shooting buttons? I don't understand your complaint. Typically you are never shooting when you pull off a melee move in the first place, so what exactly do you mean? I can finish bosses just fine with melee moves. Shoot them in the head, run in, uppercut. You can't theoretically shoot and uppercut at the same time.

Type D is the reason most people I know are complaining about the controls since for some reason Capcom opted to make it the default scheme. I think type D controls like ass.
Duck Amuck said:
Strafe sucks because it's so slow. I don't see the use. If you could run while strafing, sure. I'm using it now and it just makes turning around corners far more slow. Not only do you have to move Chris with the left stick, you have continuously use right stick to do anything.

So convoluted.
As I said, with Type B and D controls, I can down a boss, run in, shoot them point blank, then melee.

I still don't get how LT/RT shooting is unnatural. It's the same mechanic use in a lot of the other games. It worked well in those, and it works well here too. Regardless of the control scheme, it takes holding one button and pushing/pulling another to shoot.

Strafing may be slow but, in order to take a few steps to the side in non-strafing control scheme, you have to physically turn and move, then turn back, a process that takes far longer (and honestly isn't worth it). Any time you're moving by walking, strafing controls trump the traditional RE ones.

USD

I don't think I'll ever understand most complaints against Type D controls. For the most part, it's basic shooter controls put into the game (with no movement while aiming). If you've played a modern shooter before, then you should have no problem with Type D. The only difference is you can't shoot and move at the same time. I went in with no expectations, and was able to quickly grab the control scheme and adjust to it. I don't think I'm special in that regard.

USD

Duck Amuck said:
That's a big difference. That one thing completely alters the gameplay and stops it from being Gears of War. Since RE5 doesn't play like Gears, I don't think it should control like it either.

Hold LT to aim, shoot with RT and use the knife with LB? I can only imagine what it's like for someone who likes to switch between knife and guns.
All in all, with regards to LT/RT vs RT/X shooting, it's just different button combinations doing the same thing. I think you're greatly exaggerating the difficulty (or lack thereof) in using one versus the other, but I don't feel like getting into it, for the most part I've expressed my thoughts on the matter.

~Kinggi~ said:

This is the most dumb, moronic, shitty quote to come from any website ever. What the fuck 1up. Also 30 hours, what is wrong with you guys.

Top Bottom