• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Interesting, that preview says that shooting the emblems gets you points to spend on unlockables after you've finished. I hope there's a lot of them. Maybe it will be like Outbreak where you can buy new skins/costumes and artwork stuff.

And I use control type D and think it works beautifully.

Nemesis_

cvxfreak said:
I'm interesting in finding out what the alternative costumes are going to be.
I would not be surprised if it were just "classic" outfits. =/ If all else fails, STREET FIGHTER outfits too >_>

Ryn

Nemesis556 said:
I would not be surprised if it were just "classic" outfits. =/ If all else fails, STREET FIGHTER outfits too >_>

The last thing I want to see is Chris in a Ryu outfit and Sheva in a Chun Li outfit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i would so kill for them to include a playable Dante character swap for Chris, replacing the scrawny little knife with the Yamato or something and throwing in the two guns... that'd be so awesome.

Wark

Nemesis556 said:

Call me boring, but I would love to see the characters in their classic outfits. Seeing Chris in Ryu's karate gi would be awesome. :lol

Nemesis_

Wark said:
Call me boring, but I would love to see the characters in their classic outfits. Seeing Chris in Ryu's karate gi would be awesome. :lol
I guess they are cool enough, but some cooler and unique stuff would be even better.

Still, the game will be awesome regardless of costumes =D

senahorse

Don't think it has bee noted in this thread yet but I pre-ordered one of these from EB today:

146738_deal.jpg

Note, only EB are selling them.

Edit: this is from Australia.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
x3n05 said:
Don't think it has bee noted in this thread yet but I pre-ordered one of these from EB today:

http://www.ebgames.com.au/images/products/146738_deal.jpg[IMG]

Note, only EB are selling them.

Edit: this is from Australia.[/QUOTE]
Is that a fair deal from EB Games, or am I going crazy?

senahorse

Rez said:

Has to be a catch doesn't there? I was quite surprised myself, especially seeing as they are the only company in Aus carrying the pack.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The PAL box art is shiiiiiiiiiiiity, whereas, the Asian/Japanese one is sexy.

Luckily, the awesome looking PAL LE makes up for it.

EDIT
x3n05 said:
Has to be a catch doesn't there? I was quite surprised myself, especially seeing as they are the only company in Aus carrying the pack.
If I had the money, I'd buy that pack in an instant. I've been meaning to upgrade to an Elite for a while. I could really use the 120GB HD and, more importantly, the HDMI slot.

Feindflug

Rez said:
The PAL box art is shiiiiiiiiiiiity, whereas, the Asian/Japanese one is sexy.

Luckily, the awesome looking PAL LE with half the content doesn't make up for it.

Fixed.

Euroland might got the superior (I think) SFIV LE but we get the gimped version of RE5 LE - a steelbook with a making of DVD isn't enough. I seriously think to pre-ordered the Asian LE version from play-asia....umm will the game be region-free though? :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Fixed.

Euroland might got the superior (I think) SFIV LE but we get the gimped version of RE5 LE - a steelbook with a making of DVD isn't enough. I seriously think to pre-ordered the Asian LE version from play-asia....umm will the game be region-free though? :p
In Australia, we get the US LE as an option, as well the steelbook version (not that the US edition is that much better). :D

But I was referring to the boxart, in any case. :p

The RE games before RE4 took between 5-10 hours to get through the first go; maybe a bit more depending on how often one got stuck or for whatever reason. Then RE4 came out and was 20+ hours the first time through. I'm not saying that RE games shouldn't be that long, but RE5 should not be looked down upon, even a smidgen, because it's shorter than RE4; because RE4 was probably longer than it needed to be.

RE5 will no doubt be the second longest game in the franchise. I'm not sure why there's so much commotion over that.

MiamiWesker said:
This is the most dumb, moronic, shitty quote to come from any website ever. What the fuck 1up. Also 30 hours, what is wrong with you guys.

Pretty much. I don't know one person who went through RE4 and finished and was like..."wow what an overpadded experience". It had great pacing the whole way through and to say that RE5 being shorter is a positive is complete bullshit in my mind.

Also TYPE D ftw.

brandonh83 said:
because RE4 was probably longer than it needed to be.

Absolute FAIL.

Dark FaZe said:
Pretty much. I don't know one person who went through RE4 and finished and was like..."wow what an overpadded experience". It had great pacing the whole way through and to say that RE5 being shorter is a positive is complete bullshit in my mind.
I think old milky might've lied about all that extra freedom he's supposed to have now.

Dark FaZe said:

Also TYPE D ftw.

Absolute FAIL.

Yeah, to be honest, at the end of RE4 I was kind of expecting a bit more. :lol

Nemesis_

Rez said:
If the Killzone Bundle was anything to go by - we'll get one extra unit in on top of pre-orders.

Definitely pre-order this one up if you want it. Shame I already have a 360 and all those things =P

Dark FaZe said:
Absolute FAIL.

I should rephrase. There's not a second of RE4 that I didn't like. However, I don't think the game was better because it was longer. It was a good 2-3 times longer than any RE before it, with Code: Veronica being the longest of the more traditional RE titles.

What I'm saying is that RE5 shouldn't be frowned upon because it isn't as long as RE4. RE4 was unnaturally long for an RE game.

Christopher said:
wow...what a shitty opinion on the story, castle, and Salazar.

Salazar was pretty interesting, and something different seen in the Resident Evil world. Sick, and pretty twiste with that dry sense of humor...plus he filled in the gaps of silence without story going on.

Sorry dude, I don't buy the idea that my opinion that an RE game which has a 3 foot tall castellan that wears a pirate hat that is under control of a castle full of satanic monks which is in league with a boring, cloaked main villain who had the president's daughter kidnapped is a shitty opinion. Because even in the realm of RE, I think that's a completely shitty plot.

I love the game, I just hate the story. And it's cool that you liked it all, but bashing someone's opinion that it was a bad plot is pretty fucking ridiculous because that is NOT a story that can be easily and successfully defended. It's true that RE isn't exactly literature, but at the same time the series knows how corny it is and I didn't think any of the games, until RE4, crossed its established corniness boundaries, if you will. There's a fine line between cheesiness and foolishness.

The earlier RE games were good, cheesy fun. RE4 was just fucking retarded, plot wise. Krauser was the only new character worth a damn. And as I said, I liked Salazar from a humor standpoint. His bickering with Leon was entertaining. But at the same time, I still couldn't get over how batshit nutty it all was. So in a way, while I thought it was horrible, it still amused me which is why I didn't think RE4 was a complete disaster. It's just not the RE plot I wanted.

brandonh83 said:
It's just not the RE plot I wanted.

Probably the reason behind the hate the RE4 plot receive, the early versions of the game promised bring to the light a lot of the dark holes in the general RE plot. Instead we get a uninteresting bunch of new evil characters and avoiding almost any reference to the past RE games, with somewhat feel like a new beginning.

But beyond that RE4 plot it's not that bad, it's extremely cheesy and fun, and the cutscenes blows and were expectacular, and Ada became badass in RE4, and Krauser was awesome as well, Salazar continous bad jokes in the codec scenes with Leon were fun to watch. :lol

"I see the president equiped his daughter..with ballistics too" :lol :lol c'mon dialogues in RE4 were awesomely bad.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Probably the reason behind the hate the RE4 plot receive, the early versions of the game promised bring to the light a lot of the dark holes in the general RE plot. Instead we get a uninteresting bunch of new evil characters and avoiding almost any reference to the past RE games, with somewhat feel like a new beginning.

"I see the president equiped his daughter..with ballistics too" :lol :lol c'mon dialogues in RE4 were awesomely bad.

I think you perfectly point out the issues I had with RE4 as a whole, I felt that with the earlier version we're supposed to get a MGS4 type story explanation. Instead we got a CV type extension, that rasied more questions than it answered. RE5 on the other hand is setting itself up to be the MGS4 of the RE series.

The dialog between Leon and the villians though was GOLD. I loved it, I always wondered who does the English Language script for the RE games? With this I mean the intital translation that a voice director will work with and eventually adapt on their on (or with MGS4's case approval from KojimaPro. I know for MGS1 it was done, by a pretty expert guy, in terms of translating the dialog, but I also think it was Scott Dolph to an extent for it and the the later ones, before MGS4.

Still, I've never heard anything about the RE series, except that Mikami was that for one of the sessions (it may have been REmake) and would give apporval, based on his interpertation of the performance, despite not knowing English. Any one have any info on who handled RE4's translation or VO directing?

Whoever did RE4 watched a lot of the same 80s action movies as I did lol.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Man if the spoiler about
Wesker dieing
is true. ;_;
It better be. He's a lamest and most cliche villian I've ever come across in any video game ever. Just listen to his dialogue in the trailers... ugh, awful. He's not even creepy.

KeeSomething said:
It better be. He's a lamest and most cliche villian I've ever come across in any video game ever. Just listen to his dialogue in the trailers... ugh, awful. He's not even creepy.
WHAT WHAT!!!!

Not really a spoiler, but it gives away who he is.

Wesker is amazing, I love his upper crust New England accent and how he just believes he is better than anyone else, the arrogance he displays is always fun to watch along side his refined nature

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
WHAT WHAT!!!!

Not really a spoiler, but it gives away who he is.

Wesker is amazing, I love his upper crust New England accent and how he just believes he is better than anyone else, the arrogance he displays is always fun to watch along side his refined nature
Chris is gonna make Wesker his girlfriend at the end of RE5, and that's that. Wesker is a dork, too.

I'm kinda sorta kidding, but not really. I like him in RE1, but I don't think he makes a good main villain for Resident Evil when we got creeps in the background like the founders of Umbrella (which are now all dead, right?). Though, to his credit, Wesker is much cooler than Saddler.

KeeSomething said:
Chris is gonna make Wesker his girlfriend at the end of RE5, and that's that. Wesker is a dork, too.

I'm kinda sorta kidding, but not really. I like him in RE1, but I don't think he makes a good main villain for Resident Evil when we got creeps in the background like the founders of Umbrella (which are now all dead, right?). Though, to his credit, Wesker is much cooler than Saddler.

Actually that is Wesker's strengh, he is cold and calculating, he is NOT just batshit crazy like most of the people who work for Umbrella. The type of people who when shit happens inject themselves with Bioweapons, which ONLY make them hulking monsters. I mean Wesker is more a meglomanic, than just insane. He wants power (and maybe wealth), though it seems he is finally tilting towards the batshit crazy area, which is what is going to do him in

RBH

Toys-R-Us is having a couple of special deals for RE5:

-You get a Free $50 Gift Card and 12+1 XBL Subscription when you purchase both an Xbox 360 Pro & Resident Evil 5

-You get a Free $20 Gift Card when you purchase Resident Evil 5 for either the 360 or PS3.

These deals are only on March 13th and March 14th.

Relaxed Muscle said:

But beyond that RE4 plot it's not that bad, it's extremely cheesy and fun, and the cutscenes blows and were expectacular, and Ada became badass in RE4, and Krauser was awesome as well, Salazar continous bad jokes in the codec scenes with Leon were fun to watch. :lol

the end credits were the best (and most profound) part of RE4's whole story.

Absolutely tragic- and the music that went along with it was perfect.

Relaxed Muscle said:

the end credits were the best (and most profound) part of RE4's whole story.

Absolutely tragic- and the music that went along with it was perfect.

Music at the credits was fantastic. My favorite stretch of the game by far was from the first
Regenerator encounter to the end of the Krauser
confrontation.

comrade

RBH said:
Toys-R-Us is having a couple of special deals for RE5:

-You get a Free $50 Gift Card and 12+1 XBL Subscription when you purchase both an Xbox 360 Pro & Resident Evil 5

-You get a Free $20 Gift Card when you purchase Resident Evil 5 for either the 360 or PS3.

These deals are only on March 13th and March 14th.
I totally suck at GameFly. I keep buying the games when they come out cause I can't wait for them to be shipped. Did it with Killzone and now going to do it with RE5. I want that $20 Gift Card.

Blueblur1

comrade said:
I totally suck at GameFly. I keep buying the games when they come out cause I can't wait for them to be shipped. Did it with Killzone and now going to do it with RE5. I want that $20 Gift Card.
I'm tempted but my budget is tight. GameFly it is for me!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RE4's story is probably one of the most entertaining/retarded stories in a video game. It is full of plot holes, cheesy lines and general retardation, but it fitted the game perfectly and was oh so entertaining. I can understand the whole "it didn't advance the RE" story thing, but honestly, I didn't care. There are so many good one liners. :lol

Thrakier said:
Still no comparison between PS3 resi 5 final and demo regarding the framerate issues!? Why?
Because it is irrelevant, Jesus.

Just buy the game on which ever console you want, and enjoy it. There have been multiple PS3 reviews released with good scores, that barely even mention the frame rate.

Frame rate bitching is so freaking annoying.

Christopher

Rez said:
RE4's story is probably one of the most entertaining/retarded stories in a video game. It is full of plot holes, cheesy lines and general retardation, but it fitted the game perfectly and was oh so entertaining. I can understand the whole "it didn't advance the RE" story thing, but honestly, I didn't care. There are so many good one liners. :lol

Because it is irrelevant, Jesus.

Just buy the game on which ever console you want, and enjoy it. There have been multiple PS3 reviews released with good scores, that barely even mention the frame rate.

Frame rate bitching is so freaking annoying.

I enjoy a post of yours for once. It truly is irrelevant.

Ridley327

If I was given the choice between getting a story that advanced RE's rapidly-approaching-MGS-levels-of-absurdity plot and having a giant stone robot chase you/having Leon spout the worst one-liners of all time (Saddler.....you're small time. :lol :lol ), I think I can safely that I'm going with pure 80's cheese all the way. It's a series that had one of its climatic boss battles inspired by a Jaws ripoff that starred a fake grizzly bear paw and had a character command an army of leeches by singing soprano. As far as I'm concerned, the series could stand to embrace its own stupidity rather than trying to rationalize it more often.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Insects lives don't compare to human lives, Saddler.

Wark

"So . . . uh . . . after you take me back to my place, how much we do some . . . uh . . . overtime."

cvxfreak

Making some updates to the OP very soon. Notably, the addition of a link to Prime Blue's BSAA Translation Project. A good source for fairly accurate translations of the current BSAA site. Thanks to his site, I managed to get images of the weapons described in the OP.

Going to try to get Wesker's Report II and Extra up fairly soon too.

Top Bottom