• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
Making some updates to the OP very soon. Notably, the addition of a link to Prime Blue's BSAA Translation Project. A good source for fairly accurate translations of the current BSAA site. Thanks to his site, I managed to get images of the weapons described in the OP.

Going to try to get Wesker's Report II and Extra up fairly soon too.
Awesome! :)

The gameplay video from Phase 4 of the Kijuju site is available here. It's footage from the boss fight shown in the Phase 4 episode.

Ridley327

For those of you wondering, skip to 1:20 of this video to see the scene that inspired Mikami to make the famous Tyrant fight at the end of RE1. I'd also suggest watching some of the other clips associated with the film since it's so goddamn hilarious.

SMZC

I'm replaying now through RE4 in Professional in anticipation for RE5. Holy shit, such an awesome game. I'm ashamed to admit it, but as much as I loved it back then, I've only played through it once.

Such a good, long and varied game. Action games these days just seem incapable of holding the player's interest as well as RE4 does, and if they do, they aren't even half as long as RE4 is.

With that said, I'm at the island now, and it's pissing me off. It still has awesome moments, as usual, but this whole setting seems sort of disconnected from the other two, in my opinion. The whole game obviously revolves around action, but the atmosphere that the village and castle parts had is non-existent here. The game turns into too much of a mindless shooter in this part, not only in gameplay, but also when it comes to the atmosphere. I can't say I like it that much.

Still, such an awesome game. As hyped as I'm for RE5, it's so hard for me to imagine that it will be anywhere near as good as RE4. Please Capcom, prove me wrong.

Facism

Christopher said:
I enjoy a post of yours for once. It truly is irrelevant.

Well, no it's not. Splitscreen 360 demo = fine. Splitscreen PS3 demo = shyte. It's needs clarification on whether the finished PS3 product has improved upon it.

That's all :)

Blueblur1

Rez said:
RE4's story is probably one of the most entertaining/retarded stories in a video game. It is full of plot holes, cheesy lines and general retardation, but it fitted the game perfectly and was oh so entertaining. I can understand the whole "it didn't advance the RE" story thing, but honestly, I didn't care. There are so many good one liners. :lol
Plot holes? I don't remember the plot being that flimsy. Please enlighten me!

Davey Cakes

Leon: I've rescued the subject. We're returning home.
Hunnigan: You did it Leon!
Leon: Thanks. You know you're kinda cute without those glasses. Gimme your number when I get back?
Hunnigan: May I remind you that you're still on duty.
Leon: Story of my life...

Now, Leon, maybe this will teach you to think again before PASSING UP HEAD FROM THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Blueblur1 said:
Plot holes? I don't remember the plot being that flimsy. Please enlighten me!
Dumb things like notes being mysteriously left all over the place, and Saddler taking the most complicated and obtuse methods of trying to kill Leon. Don't get me wrong. I think it's great. :lol

Blueblur1

Rash said:
Now, Leon, maybe this will teach you to think again before PASSING UP HEAD FROM THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER.
:lol :lol :lol

Rez said:
Dumb things like notes being mysteriously left all over the place, and Saddler taking the most complicated and obtuse methods of trying to kill Leon. Don't get me wrong. I think it's great. :lol
Well, the notes is silly in almost all RE games. And Saddler is too cheesy for his own good. Classic bad guy stuff.

When you mentioned plot holes I thought you were referring to specific events in the story that don't gel with one another. :p

Christopher

Rez said:

...things that happen in a videogame Alex?

Proc

Oh no, I almost forgot about re5. I don't know if I can handle another hype train. I am exhausted :lol

ezekial45

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I disagree and offer this instead. :D

2iu5w0.gif

I loved that part. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Christopher said:
...things that happen in a videogame Alex?
I have nothing against it. It knew exactly what it was, and it embraced it. Like I said, I loved it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heads up: Toys R Us will be giving out a $20 gift card for free with purchase of RE5, ONLY ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY (3/13, 3/14)

Blueblur1

I played the demo more today using Type B. I'm really comfortable with it so I'm going to stick with it for the retail release. I wonder, does everybody know that you can shoot a power transformer type device off of a post in the second demo level? I noticed it the other day. I believe it goes off twice because I mistakenly shot it a second time today (while it was on the ground) and it shocked Sheva. :lol

Oh, and I've killed the axeman! The first time I did it was yesterday. I wasn't even aware that it was possible until someone mentioned it. (Probably in this thread.)

xfactor

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Probably the reason behind the hate the RE4 plot receive, the early versions of the game promised bring to the light a lot of the dark holes in the general RE plot. Instead we get a uninteresting bunch of new evil characters and avoiding almost any reference to the past RE games, with somewhat feel like a new beginning.

But beyond that RE4 plot it's not that bad, it's extremely cheesy and fun, and the cutscenes blows and were expectacular, and Ada became badass in RE4, and Krauser was awesome as well, Salazar continous bad jokes in the codec scenes with Leon were fun to watch. :lol

"I see the president equiped his daughter..with ballistics too" :lol :lol c'mon dialogues in RE4 were awesomely bad.

Actually, no. Its mostly due to the medieval setting in the middle of the game. A gigantic operational castle in this modern world isn't convincing at all compared to laboratory or a rich-man's mansion. The village and the island part at the end were pretty convincing too, and Krauser/Luis are good additions.

Ridley327

Of all the absurd things the franchise has seen, we're drawing the line at an operational castle in the middle of Nowhere, Spain?

xfactor said:
Actually, no. Its mostly due to the medieval setting in the middle of the game. A gigantic operational castle in this modern world isn't convincing at all compared to laboratory or a rich-man's mansion. The village and the island part at the end were pretty convincing too, and Krauser/Luis are good additions.

The freaking police station in RE2 has keys hidden inside statues that require symbolic plaques or whatever to access them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Red Blaster said:
The freaking police station in RE2 has keys hidden inside statues that require symbolic plaques or whatever to access them.

:lol :lol :lol

How is this even a conversation right now?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ridley327 said:
Of all the absurd things the franchise has seen, we're drawing the line at an operational castle in the middle of Nowhere, Spain?
:lol

cvxfreak

Clearly, given the direction of RE5, the "minimal" RE4 plot was an investment towards a bigger storyline. Can you imagine RE4 hosting the RE5 plot as we know it now?

Christopher

I know nothing of the RE5 plot besides Chris being in Africa and Jill apparenlty dead...I'm guessing it's heavily driven by plot? :D awesome.

I loved RE4's plot/setting.

xfactor

Banned
I like the shift from the biohazardous outbreak cause from a virus to a parasite in RE4, but I think the plot can be better. Separate Ways did a good job explaining some of the stuffs, but there are still unanswered questions, such as
- Luis' past (was he really a cop in Madrid?)
- will will Luis 'think he saw a T-virus sample in his lab department'
- the history between Krauser and Leon (what makes Krauser seems to hate Leon so much?)
- what Krauser is infected with in RE4 (the Jpn guide stated that its Plaga, but why does it look like he is not under control of Saddler?)
- how the RE4 monsters were made etc.

Seems like RE5 will establish a link between the plaga and the T/Progenitor virus though, to explain why will Luis recall seeing a T-virus while he's working on the plaga.

cvxfreak

OP updated. Wesker's Report II has been posted.

Another update is due in a day or two.

I'm a bit worried that I haven't gotten any PMs to add names to the online listings. Keep them coming!

Aske

xfactor said:
A gigantic operational castle in this modern world isn't convincing at all compared to laboratory or a rich-man's mansion.

Might I suggest a vacation to pretty much anywhere in Europe?

xfactor

Banned
SMZC said:
That's explained in the game.

They didn't touch on how Verdugo and U3 is created as far as I know. There's also no explanation on how the plaga was able to control the armor without any host (yet the ordinary plaga that detach itself from the ganado dies off after a while at the same time). El Gigante and the Novistador and Regenerador were brush off as "by-product experiments"...

SMZC

xfactor said:
They didn't touch on how Verdugo and U3 is created as far as I know. There's also no explanation on how the plaga was able to control the armor without any host (yet the ordinary plaga that detach itself from the ganado dies off after a while at the same time). El Gigante and the Novistador and Regenerador were brush off as "by-product experiments"...

What's wrong with assuming that the other monsters were created like those? They don't have to explain them all.

The armor thing is kind of stupid, though, I'll give you that. But when you think about it, it's really not that different than a Plaga controlling a human host that doesn't have a head anymore.

123rl

I so want to play RE4 one more time but part of me doesn't want to spoil RE5. Because, as good as RE5 will inevitably be, I just don't see it matching RE4. I will buy it Midnight, Day One and I will completely slaughter the game until I literally have done everything but RE4 is my favourite game of all time. I just don't see how any game (even if it was technically better) could match my experience with RE4 the first time I played it

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you guys are giving the plot of RE4 more thought than Mikami probably did. :lol

The monsters exist because they're cool looking and make good bosses. That's good enough for me.

dchavez

123rl said:
I so want to play RE4 one more time but part of me doesn't want to spoil RE5. Because, as good as RE5 will inevitably be, I just don't see it matching RE4. I will buy it Midnight, Day One and I will completely slaughter the game until I literally have done everything but RE4 is my favourite game of all time. I just don't see how any game (even if it was technically better) could match my experience with RE4 the first time I played it

I agree with this post. Only a handful of games in my history have left me completely gobsmacked by their awesomeness - XWing, Red Alert, God of War, Ico, even Guitar Hero come to mind - but RE4 is at the top of that list. The amazing thing was that it just kept getting better the further into it you got, and the length was perfect IMHO. I can only hope RE5 can be half as good. Not long to wait now lads :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hero of Canton said:
One thing I think a lot of people will take out of 5 (well, its cutscenes, anyway) is that Takeuchi has watched The Matrix. A lot.
:lol In general, how was the story (by RE standards, anyway)? RE4-like fun, or too serious?

xfactor

Banned
I didn't say they are wrong. I only feel that it'll have been better if they did put in a little details. They have a rough explanation on the origins for the monsters in previous REs through documents and stuffs, so it really seems like a little step down here imo. Despite that, I think RE4 have the best range of creatures appearance design, besides RE2.

123rl

dchavez said:
The amazing thing was that it just kept getting better the further into it you got, and the length was perfect IMHO.

This. For the love of all that is holy, this!

RE4 literally got better and better during every scene. It was like they had a list of set-pieces, ranked them in order of greatness, and then built the game around that. It was just non-stop fun from beginning to end. Yet, every time you finished a cool scene, another one was just around the corner. The story was fun and entertaining but was always secondary to the action.

Since RE4 the only game to even come close to that kind of pacing was Gears 2, IMO

SMZC

123rl said:
RE4 literally got better and better during every scene.

I don't know. To me, the village chapters are by far the best part of the game. I still wish there were more parts in the game like those were you have to come into houses and block every entrance to keep the infected from coming in. Those are by far my favorite parts of RE4.

I also like the atmosphere in the village portion of the game far more than both the castle and the island.

Not to say the rest of the game and situations aren't top notch, though. RE4 is as good as action games get, from beginning to end.

Christopher

xfactor said:
I didn't say they are wrong. I only feel that it'll have been better if they did put in a little details. They have a rough explanation on the origins for the monsters in previous REs through documents and stuffs, so it really seems like a little step down here imo. Despite that, I think RE4 have the best range of creatures appearance design, besides RE2.

I think you meant RE1.

USD

Lately I've been playing the demo without the music, just so it's easier to audibly pinpoint where enemies are coming from. I never noticed it before, but you could hear some of the enemies snicker from time to time.

Aske

SMZC said:
I don't know. To me, the village chapters are by far the best part of the game. I still wish there were more parts in the game like those were you have to come into houses and block every entrance to keep the infected from coming in. Those are by far my favorite parts of RE4.

I also like the atmosphere in the village portion of the game far more than both the castle and the island.

Not to say the rest of the game and situations aren't top notch, though. RE4 is as good as action games get, from beginning to end.

Exactly how I feel. That looks to be RE5's great strength, amidst all the unknowns: lots more wiggle room for strategic defensive play.

Wario64 said:
Heads up: Toys R Us will be giving out a $20 gift card for free with purchase of RE5, ONLY ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY (3/13, 3/14)

If they dont open at midnight too bad, I rather get it on thursday night than get a $20 gift card. Unless I buy from TRU and return that copy to the store I got it at on midnight... would that work.

Just paid off the collector's edition without giving them a penny. Gamestop has some pretty nutty trade-in deals going on right now concerning RE5. :lol

Christopher

MiamiWesker said:
If they dont open at midnight too bad, I rather get it on thursday night than get a $20 gift card. Unless I buy from TRU and return that copy to the store I got it at on midnight... would that work.

Just get the 20 dollar gift card dude you haven't played the game for this long I think getting that extra 20 would be awesome...I'm using it towards either a DualShock3 or Chrono Trigger DS.

MiamiWesker said:

Why? It is only like a couple hour difference..

Top Bottom