• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Amir0x said:
you guys are too uptight, the game isn't even HERE yet

Awesome is Super Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario is awesome

...that said anyone else going to replay The Thousand Year Door :D

AniHawk said:
I can see the future.

4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif

4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif

4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif

4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif
4devt3r.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Oh, well that explains it --I only bought and played the Gamecube version.

Did you unlock the bonus content, as well? I found John Candy just north of the Sacred Grove after I collected the 30th extra heart. My dad works for Nintendo though, so maybe I got the special copy where you can do that.

I unlocked the bonus content where i got the orchestrated soundtrack

demure

Smiles and Cries said:
second tab has Luigi but not clickable does this mean he is the 4th playable and they are keeping his abilities secret?

He probably plays a role in the game but I doubt it's a playable role. It's times like these I wish I spoke/read japanese so I could sort some things out a bit.

demure said:
He probably plays a role in the game but I doubt it's a playable role. It's times like these I wish I spoke/read japanese so I could sort some things out a bit.

Nintendo seems to love doing this to Luigi, and they know we hate it.

jvalioli

The first tab shows some of the opening scenes. Luigi is doing *something* and not totally screwing up, it seems. I hope he does end playable. He is one of the best characters, especially in Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

Ranger X

Smiles and Cries said:
Nintendo seems to love doing this to Luigi, and they know we hate it.

Yup. lol
Luigi never really got out of his "Being the green colored mario sprite for the second player" curse.

Amir0x

Banned
Luigi Stories were some of the most brilliantly conceived humour in the entirety of Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. So ****ing genius.

Amir0x said:
Luigi Stories were some of the most brilliantly conceived humour in the entirety of Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. So ****ing genius.

I REALLY wanted a full-out sequel to TTYD called Paper Luigi. :( I wanted it sooooooo bad.

Amir0x

Banned
BrandNew said:
I REALLY wanted a full-out sequel to TTYD called Paper Luigi. :( I wanted it sooooooo bad.

I know there's prime mining material there, but I fear they might overplay the joke if they did a full game. They really hit the perfect mix with what they did in Thousand Year Door with the concept.

Of course, I wouldn't mind a Luigi sidestory at all.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Colour me surprised, you are speaking the truth. Amazing what effects the impending awesomeness that is Super Paper Mario can have on people.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thought this quote from gamespot's original paper mario review was kind of funny in light of all the "2d is dead" fear:

gamespot said:
Games of this caliber are few and far between, and it's too bad that Paper Mario might be the last great 2D Mario game.

ksamedi

I think you folks should check out IGN Wii. They have a very positive hands on and some awesome new vids up and running.

The second coming of Christ indeed.

YagizY

I am definitely going to pick this game up day of. It was honestly one of the biggest games I was looking forward to when I bought my Wii. I'm glad nintendo went with the old school 2D gameplay route, I really likes New Super Mario Bros. on DS.

ImprezaRS

Gamespy preview

http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/super-paper-mario-/776264p1.html

notable quote from the article

On the whole, the combat aspect of the game is my favorite part. Because the 2D/3D nature of the levels is so fun and unique, and also because the combat is real-time old school platforming, the game feels less like a traditional RPG and more like an adapted hybrid. Originality goes a long way with video games, and Super Paper Mario seems to have it in spades.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ImprezaRS said:
Gamespy preview

http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/super-paper-mario-/776264p1.html

Gamespot said:
Quote:
On the whole, the combat aspect of the game is my favorite part. Because the 2D/3D nature of the levels is so fun and unique, and also because the combat is real-time old school platforming, the game feels less like a traditional RPG and more like an adapted hybrid. Originality goes a long way with video games, and Super Paper Mario seems to have it in spades.

notable quote from the article

8.8 Confirmed? :p

Seriously, if this game turns out the way it should, this could be huge, and it's not like demand for Wii has slowed up much anyway, lets hope all these rumours of Ninty witholding supplies are accurate, least then they could sell a shedload of consoles off the back of this.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am still deciding whether or not to buy my girlfriend a birthday gift or get this and make her a card from Microsoft Paint instead.

ksamedi

AlternativeUlster said:
I am still deciding whether or not to buy my girlfriend a birthday gift or get this and make her a card from Microsoft Paint instead.

I think the choice is obvious, always think about yourself first my man :)

AlternativeUlster said:

:lol

You could always get her something from the dollar store to go along with that card.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
maynerd said:
Can you post the text? I can't hit that site form work.

It's really really really long..

Here is the final paragraph:

"Why has Nintendo been keeping this so quiet? From GameCube exclusive to Wii-GameCube joint release to Wii exclusive - all in the course of a month - Super Paper Mario always seems to have been neglected by Ninty's Promotional Megamachine in favour of its starry-eyed neighbour, Super Mario Galaxy. But know this: Super Paper Mario is easily brilliant enough to make you forget that there's even another Mario game on the way.

It's visually dazzling. The colours are so sharp you may just cut your eye open on them. It's crammed with familiar Mushroom Kingdom characters. The writing has all the silliness and wit we've come to expect of the series. It's huge. And, in the perspective-shifting mechanic, it's got a fresh and breath-catchingly ingenious central idea that, in Intelligent Systems' hands, is exploited in a bewildering array of ways.

Simply: it's brilliant - and one of the best games we've ever played."

Krowley

They also say that it's so good that it'll make you forget that there's another mario game on the way.

Sounds like Galaxy will have a lot to live up too :p

maynerd

Banned
schuelma said:
It's really really really long..

Here is the final paragraph:

"Why has Nintendo been keeping this so quiet? From GameCube exclusive to Wii-GameCube joint release to Wii exclusive - all in the course of a month - Super Paper Mario always seems to have been neglected by Ninty's Promotional Megamachine in favour of its starry-eyed neighbour, Super Mario Galaxy. But know this: Super Paper Mario is easily brilliant enough to make you forget that there's even another Mario game on the way.

It's visually dazzling. The colours are so sharp you may just cut your eye open on them. It's crammed with familiar Mushroom Kingdom characters. The writing has all the silliness and wit we've come to expect of the series. It's huge. And, in the perspective-shifting mechanic, it's got a fresh and breath-catchingly ingenious central idea that, in Intelligent Systems' hands, is exploited in a bewildering array of ways.

Simply: it's brilliant - and one of the best games we've ever played."

Thanks for the excerpt. HOT!

Top Bottom