• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

jvalioli said:
How long is Paper Mario 2? I want to finish it before SPM comes out.
Shane said it took him about 37 hours without any sidequests or anything.

Or maybe it was 27, I don't remember. Still a really long time for a 2d platformer.

EDIT - looks like 37

EDIT 2 - Whoops, I thought you asked about SPM. Comprehension FTW

ant1532

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Shane said it took him about 37 hours without any sidequests or anything.

Or maybe it was 27, I don't remember. Still a really long time for a 2d platformer.

EDIT - looks like 37

EDIT 2 - Whoops, I thought you asked about SPM. Comprehension FTW
:lol

Amir0x

Banned
scola said:
I'll never tell. I may just have $53.86 tucked into my shoe incase I walk into a targert and see the street date has been broken on SPM. But I wouldn't give Ami the gratification ;)

If you don't like Minish Cap, you must hate life.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pureauthor said:
I'll get a used copy.

And my proof of purchase shall be me uploading photos of the shattered remnants of the game disc.

This game will sell enough copies already, so doesn't need MY help for little ole NPD.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Still a pity that there were only six real dungeons. Still awesome though.

Yeah, but Minish Cap does Zelda the right way and makes sure the entire overworld is worth something, and not just hilariously empty and barren stretches of boring landscape. So there's sort of mini-dungeons you have to make your way through, which sorta makes up for the minimal "big" dungeons.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have this problem where when someone mentions the minish cap, i think i like it, but then when someone mentions twilight princess, i apparently forget i like minish cap and switch to liking twilight princess

i wish i could understand such an affliction, as it confusingly leads me to believe i like both

Amir0x said:
Yeah, but Minish Cap does Zelda the right way and makes sure the entire overworld is worth something, and not just hilariously empty and barren stretches of boring landscape. So there's sort of mini-dungeons you have to make your way through, which sorta makes up for the minimal "big" dungeons.

See the 2D Zeldae never had that problem with the overworld. I almost take it for granted. Minish Cap was undoubtably awesome, but I think it's a shame there weren't at least two more dungeons.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
minish cap also has the smallest Zelda overworld ever. it's a good game but TP is just far superior. anyway this is about SPM last I checked.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
See the 2D Zeldae never had that problem with the overworld. I almost take it for granted. Minish Cap was undoubtably awesome, but I think it's a shame there weren't at least two more dungeons.

I'd say something like "it's not the amount of content that matters, but the quality of it that counts." But then I'd be a hypocrite, since I wanted as many awesome dungeons as possible. Minish Cap was so, so good :(

Jammy

Banned
If Super Paper Mario can pull of the same charm, humor, and landscapes that made both Paper Mario games so great, all while turning the game into a hybrid consisting of mostly platforming elements, I'd make it a GotY contender as far as my tastes go.

grandjedi6 said:
Awesome is Super Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario is awesome

And if it's as long as what has been stated by several... wow. The screenshots show a game that would normally be less than 6 hours.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't get yourself too hyped up for length - remember Star Fox Adventures 100 hours, Zelda: Twilight Princess 100 hours. Divide whatever they say it takes to beat the game to completion by at least 3 or 4.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Amir0x said:
Don't get yourself too hyped up for length - remember Star Fox Adventures 100 hours, Zelda: Twilight Princess 100 hours. Divide whatever they say it takes to beat the game to completion by at least 3 or 4.
They were saying about 70 hours for TP, and it ended up taking me 40-45.

Not quite that severe, but yeah :lol

Amir0x said:

Oh I know, but it's still going to be longer than a typical Mario sidescroller. Then again, it isn't really your typical Mario sidescroller... omfg bring it on

I have close to 90 hours on Twilight Princess after doing mostly everything ;)

Amir0x said:

IntSys claimed ~40 hours for both Paper Mario games, which is what the games actually were. So the question is: is it IntSys giving gameplay times, or Nintendo?

Amir0x

Banned
just consider it time factored in for GAFers who pause the game frequently to post "OMFG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!" over and over in this thread.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Amir0x said:
just consider it time factored in for GAFers who pause the game frequently to post "OMFG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!" over and over in this thread.

Plus didn't we get a time from Shane at 1UP?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dragona Akehi said:
IntSys claimed ~40 hours for both Paper Mario games, which is what the games actually were. So the question is: is it IntSys giving gameplay times, or Nintendo?

Neither. The only one that mentioned anything about length so far was Shane, I think?

Edit: Damn, that's what I get for going to get a drink of water before hitting the reply button.

grandjedi6 said:
Plus didn't we get a time from Shane at 1UP?
I was about to ask this, since I also mentioned it earlier.

I should mention that Shane isn't affiliated with Nintendo or IntSys.

EDIT - Ah, here's the thread. I'll quote the important part for lazy folks:

Testicular Sound Express said:
Pipking also aks, "Is it a long game?"

I beat it in about 27 hours, though I definitely missed a lot of optional stuff. Gotta go back and get it all...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Unintentional thread derail: Complete :lol

Anyway can't wait for SPM. So awesome to have a game of this caliber drop in april Thank you Nintendo

P.S.
I actually like LoZ:MC a lot :: Mole Mitts / gust jar > *

Amir0x

Banned
how long did Shane take to beat Zelda: Twilight Princess? wasn't he the one that took forever, even though I beat that game with almost everything in just under 40 hours?

Amir0x said:
how long did Shane take to beat Zelda: Twilight Princess? wasn't he the one that took forever, even though I beat that game with almost everything in just under 40 hours?
Wow, is that how long it took you? I made it in just over eight hours and still found my way through 100% of the content.

Some people...

Amir0x

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Wow, is that how long it took you? I made it in just over eight hours and still found my way through 100% of the content.

Some people...

Hey, I had to pause the game at some point to mock the tacked-on Wii controls.

AdmiralViscen said:
I prefer the organic world map of LttP to the 'push rock here' map of MC.

Well Link to the Past had an incredible, perfect overworld. It's second only to Link's Awakening. Minish Cap is third best Zelda overworld imo.

Dragona Akehi said:
I have a feeling we'll need a NEW official thread by the time the game actually is released...

That depends: do you legitimately think one thread is enough to hold all the awesome, no matter how derailed one gets?

Can't disagree with that.

I guess MC deserves to be third, but I just... don't like it. It really breaks my immersion in the game to have all these obvious holes with rocks next to them, and holes to jump up to a higher ledge, and all the other knick knacks. It just felt forced and lame to me.

But yea, with the way the 3D world maps are, MC locks up third place.

Amir0x said:
Hey, I had to pause the game at some point to mock the tacked-on Wii controls.
Oh, well that explains it --I only bought and played the Gamecube version.

Did you unlock the bonus content, as well? I found John Candy just north of the Sacred Grove after I collected the 30th extra heart. My dad works for Nintendo though, so maybe I got the special copy where you can do that.

Top Bottom